Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-06-2014, 08:59 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Larry67 is a jewel in the roughLarry67 is a jewel in the roughLarry67 is a jewel in the roughLarry67 is a jewel in the rough
Should we have fouled?

This is academic since we won the game. But when we had 10 seconds left on the clock, a three point lead, and St. Louis had possession and was in-bounding the ball, does anyone think that we should have fouled?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Larry67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-06-2014), walkon (03-06-2014)
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2014, 09:05 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,262 Times in 666 Posts
FlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond repute
No. Contrary to popular belief, it is statistically better to defend than to foul. Too many things can go wrong when you intentionally stop the clock and give up freebies.

http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/web...ling_when_up_3
Old 03-06-2014, 09:18 PM
Major

bigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud of
St. Louis is not a great 3 point shooting team. Right decision not to foul.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:27 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
If it Is Not Broken

then why fix it?
Old 03-06-2014, 09:33 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,188 Times in 5,912 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
No, too much time and the throw in was at the St Louis half court.

I think Archie had a great plan: let them have it inside and get two and cover the three line like a blanket. Loe almost took the bait and started for the basket, but then pitched it out, as our guys watched. It was like a play action in football. Our defenders jumped toward Loe, and failed to stay home,
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 10:05 PM
General

Thanked 2,830 Times in 1,553 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
On the game thread, I called for a foul. However, as mentioned above, the Bills "took the bait" and really forced them to take some tough shots during the last 10 seconds. Flyer guy stated above that it is statistically better not to foul, I like the fact of being able to control your own destiny rather than falling to a merely coincidental three-point shot. Regardless, the Flyers really defended the three ball well at the end, so it is now a moot point.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:25 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,387 Times in 1,118 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
After getting burned on 3's this season in the last few seconds of the game, I personally wanted to foul. Maybe a better strategy is to tell the Flyers taking the court (we are going to defend the 3 and give them the 2) but then tell the refs and the opposing team we intend to foul before they get a 3 point shot off. I think that may tend to create a expectation of getting fouled and possibly confusion. I thought Crews would come up with a better play than what he did. It looked like a BG designed play that Crews came up with...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2014, 07:33 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm ok with fouling if there is something like 5 seconds left. But 10 seconds is way too long.

I was actually surprised Loe didn't take the layup that was wide open. That would've cut it to one with 6 seconds left, then you are forcing UD to make free throws, and you would still have the ball with 5 seconds or so left with a chance to win or tie depending on the result of the UD free throws.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:30 AM

Thanked 6,193 Times in 4,215 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
I definitely would have fouled in that situation, I didn't agree with AM's decision not to foul, I've just seen teams get burned too many times in that situation when they didn't foul. I'd rather it come down to free throws vs. giving them a chance to tie the game.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:43 AM

Thanked 15,917 Times in 6,998 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
I didn't agree with AM's decision not to foul
Old 03-07-2014, 09:55 AM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
rollo, I think there is a very big difference between me disagreeing with one of AM's decisions vs. you pretty constantly riding him for the past couple/few months.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:06 AM

Thanked 15,917 Times in 6,998 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
I'm proud of you for admitting that you don't agree with Archie on everything...as with one doubt there will come more.

So on the good side, we have more in common that you think.

On the bad side, you've been exposed as a 'hater'.

So, do you want to join my Steel Cage Match tag-team...or Glen's?!
Old 03-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know why you guys feed this guys ego.... he is an .......................
Mad Props to TerryK_67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 10:40 AM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Unless the clock starts under 5 seconds, I do not believe in intentially fouling. Anything above, you're asking too much of your players to play solid defense and keep an eye on the 3 point line and the clock at the same time.

If opponent keeps the ball outside the 3 point line you risk some overzealous ref calling a player in the act of shooting if that player decides he was fouled and throws up a shot trying to get the call.

Just play the game and let the chips fall where they may. Intentional fouls are for the team that's behind, not ahead.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
westchesterflyer (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 11:37 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,012 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Let's not act like it was great defense here. A really good St. Louis shooter had a tremendous, wide-open look to tie the game. And a shot everyone knew they were going to have to hit... A good part of me wants to give them credit for a nice play but, again, unless I'm mis-remembering (lol) didn't a couple of our defenders continue to chase the initial guy that caught the inbounds pass to the basket? There's not a poster on this board that would be anywhere near diplomatic had that kid made a very wide-open , uncontested shot..Not a difficult shot like a couple earlier this year.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-09-2014), flyerfanatic86 (03-07-2014), TerryK_67 (03-07-2014), ud2 (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 11:50 AM
Major

cralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond repute
I was surprised it was not discussed

I think the announcers typically at least have the conversation. Should they or not. The announcers seemed a little rattled in the last few minutes of the game. Maybe they expected the Flyers to be shooting the desperation threes
Old 03-07-2014, 12:20 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
I'm proud of you for admitting that you don't agree with Archie on everything...as with one doubt there will come more.

So on the good side, we have more in common that you think.

On the bad side, you've been exposed as a 'hater'.

So, do you want to join my Steel Cage Match tag-team...or Glen's?!
Ill join your side. He red pipped me for saying i booed on Marcus,London,Kurt,Rob's senior night because of their pathetic season (although i cheered their ceremony and curtain call) i booed the team not the players. calling ti classless and pathetic, yet ive seen him call people "Losers" on here
Old 03-07-2014, 12:24 PM
Colonel

Falcon7 is on a distinguished road
St. Louis did get an open 3, but luckily it was short.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:04 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,439 Times in 685 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm normally a fan of fouling, but I'm glad we didn't here. Too much time on the clock to do it on the inbound, and it was too chaotic once the ball was in play. Too many bad things could have happened if we fouled once the ball was in play. At least in my opinion.
Mad Props to flyerfanatic86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 02:17 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,624 Times in 2,471 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Maryland vs. Virginia just went into OT because Maryland fouled with about 4 seconds. He hit the first missed the second and the rebound was tipped out by Maryland . With 1.7 on the clock, VA got the ball and scored.

Maryland did win 75-69 in OT at home

Last edited by Lifelong Flyer Fan; 03-09-2014 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: add results
Old 03-09-2014, 02:35 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Archie said on his show today they wanted to foul on the catch coming out of the timeout but there was a breakdown.
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
Archie said on his show today they wanted to foul on the catch coming out of the timeout but there was a breakdown.
Thanks longtimefan!

So, rollo, it looks like Archie, myself, TommyGola, and longtimefan67 were all on the same page in terms of wanting to foul SLU and not give them a chance at a game tying 3 pointer.