User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-20-2017, 02:57 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,596 Times in 750 Posts
CoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond repute
Old Dominion thoughts

1. We have not opened the season at 2-2 since... last year.
2. Not comparing the two teams necessarily, just found it interesting
3. I agree with many comments on the lack of effort on D.
4. Youth and inexperience is one thing. Effort is another.
5. Kostas, Crutcher, and now Jordan Davis have all flashed some ability in the first four games. Just not all in the same game.
6. I think AG is working on who to have on the floor at what times and the players are still trying to learn how to play to each others strengths.
7. We may be a little spoiled from the continuity of the prior years under AM.
8. Speaking of AM, unless he is your nephew, best man, or performed the heimlich maneuver on you at the Pine Club, can we turn the page?
9. He is not walking through that door. He did not go to UD. His kids are not going to UD. He is not giving our turkeys in downtown Dayton on Thursday.
10. Has AG said anything further on Pierce?

Drink of choice during the game: local brewery IPA
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CoffeeCan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-20-2017), flyerfever (11-20-2017), NYCFLYER (11-20-2017)
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2017, 08:14 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
I do not understand the effort comments by several people. I saw every minute of all three games, and there was no lack of effort and no quit. Sometimes people like to think lack of winning or rebounding or defense is lack of effort, and therefore we are a better team. Not the case here. Either our offensive and defensive schemes are lacking, or the players are not executing, and probably some of both. Most of these guys are young and hungry and all are giving 100%.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
bigudfan (11-20-2017), Sid Louick (11-21-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 08:33 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
I prefer Facts!
Old 11-20-2017, 08:49 PM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
I do not understand the effort comments by several people. I saw every minute of all three games, and there was no lack of effort and no quit. .
I watched all 3 as well...there may not have been quit...but there was frustration that led to what appeared to be a lack of effort. Defensive effort was not there. If it was, then we are in a world of hurt. Defense and rebounding are the only two aspects of the game that don't require skill...because when one lacks...it is usually attributed to effort.

Others listening to the radio mentioned KW stated the same thing. I would say he was in a pretty good position to make that call.
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 09:54 AM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
I watched all 3 as well...there may not have been quit...but there was frustration that led to what appeared to be a lack of effort. Defensive effort was not there. If it was, then we are in a world of hurt. Defense and rebounding are the only two aspects of the game that don't require skill...because when one lacks...it is usually attributed to effort.

Others listening to the radio mentioned KW stated the same thing. I would say he was in a pretty good position to make that call.
Just to be clear, I was sitting as close to the action as KW. Also what is the context of his comment? No one is trying today? That was a bad effort on that play? The whole team is giving no effort today? Some players seem to lack effort at times? Or what particular player?

A player that gets beat on defense can look like no effort, but we have guys with bad positioning, guys who do not anticipate picks and guys who fight through picks poorly. On offense we rebound poorly because everyone is out past the free throw line. That is not effort. In three games we had almost no fast breaks against us, because all our guys hustle back on defense.