User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-17-2021, 10:57 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
You snooze......you lose !!

For some 10 years I've promoted the idea of celebrating MLK Day with the Flyers hosting a game on that date and it being televised on national TV. The idea never caught-on on UDPRIDE and obviously not in the UD Athletic Dept.

So, Monday, you'll get to see Notre Dame play Howard on FOX at 2 pm, for all the USA to see, followed by an hour special on the late MLK.

What you watch tomorrow could have all been happening in Dayton....spreading the good word about the University of Dayton and the Miami Valley. Congratulations to "South Bend Tech" for taking the initiative, seeing that even a national university can't pass up the opportunity to promote itself on a day when a lot of kids and adults will be off school/work and looking for sports on their TV.

You snooze......you loose !!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Piqua Flyer '66 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-18-2021), NYCFLYER (01-18-2021)
Advertisement
Old 01-17-2021, 11:18 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,642 Times in 703 Posts
Monster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Piqua Flyer '66 View Post
For some 10 years I've promoted the idea of celebrating MLK Day with the Flyers hosting a game on that date and it being televised on national TV. The idea never caught-on on UDPRIDE and obviously not in the UD Athletic Dept.

So, Monday, you'll get to see Notre Dame play Howard on FOX at 2 pm, for all the USA to see, followed by an hour special on the late MLK.

What you watch tomorrow could have all been happening in Dayton....spreading the good word about the University of Dayton and the Miami Valley. Congratulations to "South Bend Tech" for taking the initiative, seeing that even a national university can't pass up the opportunity to promote itself on a day when a lot of kids and adults will be off school/work and looking for sports on their TV.

Not so fast, the game has been postponed or canceled.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:30 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute

This was such an inappropriate post for a college basketball team forum. Not the first part of your post, that was just lame, I mean spelling the word "lose" wrong.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
1in25 (01-18-2021), Sea Bass (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 04:54 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,221 Times in 549 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Do you think the fact that Howard is a HBCU might have something to do with it? Neither Dayton, nor WSU are, so don't think for a moment if they had played today they'd be on National TV.
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDGutter2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (01-18-2021), jack72 (01-18-2021), Jeff (01-18-2021), longtimefan (01-18-2021), m21eagle45 (01-18-2021), Phi Psi Flyer '09 (01-19-2021), UD62 (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 09:38 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, UD played a league game yesterday on the road, play again Wednesday, and then a big road game on Saturday. Not sure if playing 3 games in 4 days and 4 in 7 is a good idea.
Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Phi Psi Flyer '09 (01-19-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 10:02 AM
General

Thanked 4,343 Times in 2,135 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDGutter2 View Post
Do you think the fact that Howard is a HBCU might have something to do with it? Neither Dayton, nor WSU are, so don't think for a moment if they had played today they'd be on National TV.

Not only are they a HBCU, they also have Makur Makur on the roster. Despite not playing, I'm sure the appeal of a top 20 recruit on a HBCU roster plus the alum and subway alum base of ND made this a national game when it was originally set. And probably why ND agreed to it.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (01-18-2021), jack72 (01-18-2021), Phi Psi Flyer '09 (01-19-2021), UDGutter2 (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 10:18 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,288 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Besides, given the way ND's season is going, a step down in competition would have been welcome
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 10:49 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

CraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond repute
So a Monday game at 2? I wouldn't have seen it anyhow, I'm at work, so that would have been worthless for me. I have no issue with the concept of the game, but 7 PM would be so much better, not every company shuts down for MLK Day.
Mad Props to CraSch For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 11:25 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
ND - Howard cancelled covid.....
St. Johns at UCONN 2:30 on FS1
Obi and Knicks on NBATV at noon
4 hockey games on NBC
Several other NBA games also today.
It's obvious that the TV networks see no value (profit!) bringing us events on MLKDay

Smitty12.....I did spell lose correctly once
Have a great day.....GO FLYERS!!
Old 01-18-2021, 11:44 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute

!
Not bad if it’s 3 pt shooting but with layups you need to finish.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-18-2021), Jeff (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 02:28 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,221 Times in 549 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Notre Who and Howard also lost it. Game cancelled.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:55 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
ND - Howard cancelled covid.....
St. Johns at UCONN 2:30 on FS1
Obi and Knicks on NBATV at noon
4 hockey games on NBC
Several other NBA games also today.
It's obvious that the TV networks see no value (profit!) bringing us events on MLKDay

Have a great day.....GO FLYERS!!
Yes nothing better to honor MLK jr than to profit! off of a day set aside to remember him.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 04:05 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,592 Times in 3,714 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
Yes nothing better to honor MLK jr than to profit! off of a day set aside to remember him.

Your comment reminded me of the time I offered an older employee of mine who was a devout Catholic tickets to see our Flyers play Dusquesne.

He actually got a little snippy with me as no one should be attending or going to basketball games on the evening of Ash Wednesday as in his mind we should all be at church then and not attending a basketball game.

He got even snippier when I replied by pointing out it was a game between two catholic schools!

To each their own.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:14 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
For some 10 years I've promoted the idea of celebrating MLK Day with the Flyers hosting a game on that date and it being televised on national TV.

That is not exactly true. You have promoted the idea of UD hosting a game with Wright State. I don't know what makes you think we could get that game on national TV, even if WSU would play it. The game you mention includes Howard for a reason. As far as your other post, St Johns/UConn is a conference game televised on the network that carries their conference games. The others are all professional sports. I would think after ten years you would have given up on this silly idea. Or maybe you're not really this foolish and you're just screwing with us.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-18-2021), m21eagle45 (01-18-2021), Phi Psi Flyer '09 (01-19-2021), shwag33 (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 04:21 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
That is not exactly true. You have promoted the idea of UD hosting a game with Wright State. I don't know what makes you think we could get that game on national TV, even if WSU would play it. The game you mention includes Howard for a reason. As far as your other post, St Johns/UConn is a conference game televised on the network that carries their conference games. The others are all professional sports. I would think after ten years you would have given up on this silly idea. Or maybe you're not really this foolish and you're just screwing with us.
That's funny now that you mentioned it. I assumed he meant with WSU because of his previous posts and didn't even notice he omitted it here. Pretty clever, trying to sneak this post through without mentioning WSU and getting the normal backlash that come with it.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:35 PM
General

Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,412 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
Your comment reminded me of the time I offered an older employee of mine who was a devout Catholic tickets to see our Flyers play Dusquesne.

He actually got a little snippy with me as no one should be attending or going to basketball games on the evening of Ash Wednesday as in his mind we should all be at church then and not attending a basketball game.

He got even snippier when I replied by pointing out it was a game between two catholic schools!

To each their own.
Heathen.
Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 11:14 PM
Major

bigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud of
I thought it was MLK day. It sure seems like Groundhog's Day around these parts.
Mad Props to bigred For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (01-19-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 10:49 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
I think the entire nation is clammoring for this matchup.
Mad Props to Buster Goode For This Totally Excellent Post:
bigred (01-19-2021)