User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-17-2013, 07:56 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
New Rules Could Wreak "Havoc" on VCU

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...2013-14-season

Looks like NCAA basketball and follow the trend of football and put in rules that really hurt the defense. New rules this year will make it much harder for pressure defense on a player with the basketball. This is a bad attempt by the NCAA to boost offense imho.
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2013, 08:11 AM
General

Thanked 2,825 Times in 1,550 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Wow! This will really open the door to quick point guards who can now more easily penetrate into the lane. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see an evolution to a "second point guard" in the lineup to take advantage of these rule changes. It will also open up opportunities for the two forward positions as they now will have less concern about the charging calls. Defensively, it will make it much more difficult to defend penetration and the "flying to the hoop" offensive plays. The great defensive coaches of the game, and I will include Brian Gregory in that category, will have to make some major adjustments in their basic philosophies. These rule changes will also result in the growing use of the "foul the guy out" strategy, as quick ball handlers will be coached to "take it to the hoop" every time they touch the ball in an attempt to foul out targeted players. Rule changes have consequences!
Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 08:40 AM
General

Thanked 4,338 Times in 2,133 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
I think this will emphasize guys who have the ability to play defense with their feet, too many play defense with their upper body, and it will require defenses to have a guy in the middle who can step up to stop penetration since it will be harder to keep guys out of the lane.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:26 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know that it won't help a Gregory, given his penchant for great athletes, if it opens up the court for them.

I think it really hurts a Wisconsin clutching and grabbing all over the court with players who are less athletic. Ditto St Louis.

I think a VCU will be fine because they are combining havoc with superb athletes. Teaching them to play defense with their feet won't be as hard as teaching players who don't have quick feet to play with their feet.

Next step it to cut down on the grabbing and holding off the ball. I actually think that should have been job one.
Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 09:40 AM

Thanked 10,503 Times in 4,705 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Bottom line, I thnk it helps UD. We have been lacking in players who can fight through physical contact and finish. That's one of the reasons our ball movement gets stuck on the perimeter in the half court game in the hands of 1,2, and 3's. Lately we have not had the Nate Green's or Charles Little's that won't get bumped off course. Hand checking has been out of control.

The bad news? Our A10 refs don't call ANYTHING consistently. Here's another rule for them to screw up the game.

We'll see.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:58 AM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
I don’t know if this is the answer not, but I do know the college game has gotten way way toooooo physical. They look like the NBA 10 years ago (and that is NOT a good thing). Need to bring talent and finesse back into the game, instead of brawn and physical play.
Mad Props to TerryK_67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (10-21-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 10:03 AM

Thanked 9,813 Times in 4,074 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Goes back to footwork and being able to play clean defense. I have complained about man defense and team defense for years, because many of the players are clueless at the AAU level and that carries over to the college level.

If you can't move your feet and put yourself in good position, you can't be effective on defense. I don't care what anyone says...you play it with your feet and not your hands, that is Defense 101.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:37 AM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
it all depends on how it is called.

I would love to see the physical play cleaned up both on and off the ball. Might force a lot more teams to look at playing some zone.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:42 PM
Colonel

udstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud of
looks like the NBA is trying to groom these kids early
Old 10-17-2013, 03:50 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
This would really screw up the Thuggy Bear grab 'em, jab 'em, hack 'em, push 'em, shove 'em defense.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:32 PM

Thanked 4,301 Times in 1,763 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Last year, I saw the St. Louis game from behind the bench. St. Louis manhandled the Flyers. Every Billiken pushed, grabbed, jabbed, bumped, hit Dillard. Kevin is a small frail player. The St. Louis players looked like football players. They used their strength and physical player to negate the speed of Kevin, Vee etc.. As a result, UD could get no offense going. On the other end of the court, they moved the UD defense out. They schooled the freshmen big time.

From a fan's perspective, low scoring wrestling matches are not fun to watch. I want to see speed, grace, agility and skill in a basketball game. The A10 resembles the trenches of an NFL game the last 10 years or so.

I have fouled out of my share of games and have two bone breaks to show for it. So this might be more fan than p[layer in me talking. I just don't think strength should be permitted to negate speed. A stronger player should be permitted to establish position, not physically move a faster player out of position.
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (10-21-2013)
Old 10-18-2013, 11:31 AM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,595 Times in 5,091 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
I'll believe the enforcement when I see it.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (10-18-2013), SeasonTicketFan (10-18-2013)
Old 10-21-2013, 08:22 PM

Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
IMO if they enforce the new rules there is going to be a huge premium on perimeter defenders with the ability to stop dribble penetration or angle it off.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...s-the-rulebook
Old 10-23-2013, 07:30 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,461 Times in 612 Posts
UD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond repute
Not a fan of it. A10 refs have been calling hand checks for years and missing the muggings underneath. We may have to finish a few A10 games with the coaches suiting up because everyone has fouled out.

Last edited by UD90; 10-23-2013 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 10-23-2013, 10:38 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,011 Posts
xubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond repute
A lot of the games in November will likely be unwatchable, but once the players adjust I think it will make the games better. It's going to be more finesse and less physical.

I don't mind defense. I actually like watching good defense. So, I didn't agree with the idea that the game wasn't as good because there were fewer points being scored. But, I did agree with the notion that the game had gotten so physical that it prevented a lot of skill and finesse. This should change it. It should be better once players adjust.

Until they do adjust, though, it will be a brutal forty minute parade to the freethrow line in a lot of early games.
Mad Props to xubrew For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 10:50 AM

there will be a premium on limiting dribble penetration. I honestly expect more teams will be playing zone defense.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:43 PM

from Rick Barnes

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...exas-longhorns