Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-16-2015, 01:08 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

CraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond repute
Chris R.- any insights after your time in Indy

Chris R.
Sorry about putting you on the spot, but you are the only one on this board that went through the mock selection process in Indy. So I'm wondering if you can give some insight to a particular example. To help keep emotions out of it, the example does not include Dayton nor any A10 teams.

From the UDPride RPI, I found the following about 2 teams in the same conference (AAC):
Temple: RPI 34, Conference Record 13-5, SoS 56
Cincinnati: RPI 37, Conference Record 13-5, SoS 55
Seem identical, but TU was 2-8 vs top 50, UC was 6-3. So UC being higher makes sense, though I still can't justify the huge gap between 8 seed vs not in.
Now add UCLA: RPI 48, SoS: 26, vs top 50 2-8.
I realize different conference, but how can the committee justify UCLA ahead of Temple? I realize SoS stronger, but since top 50 identical, UCLA's RPI means they did worse outside top 50.

Again, sorry to put you on the spot, but you seem to have the best chance at understanding this. I could have sent as private message, but am guessing many others on the board will be curious also.
Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
Mad Props to CraSch For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-16-2015)
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2015, 01:19 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think there is anyone out there that knows a thing about college basketball that thinks UCLA belongs in this year's tourney. What I want to know how they got in? What was the discussion and who initiated it? Who jumped in to defend it? Did anyone try to stop it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 01:26 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,877 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
If the Committee had a sense of humor and/or balls, they'd have made UCLA a 16-seed and had them face UK in the first round.
Garson (03-16-2015), T-Bone 84 (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 01:40 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,461 Times in 612 Posts
UD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond repute
Scott Barnes New AD at UCLA

Kidding - but let's see what happens in the next few years.

Utah State to the PAC12 maybe.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:43 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
If the Committee had a sense of humor and/or balls, they'd have made UCLA a 16-seed and had them face UK in the first round.
And I thought the First Four was a way to get more power conference teams in the dance, by making them play their way in before the Round of 64 started.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:44 PM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UD90 View Post
Kidding - but let's see what happens in the next few years.

Utah State to the PAC12 maybe.
Utah would never let Utah State join the PAC12
Old 03-16-2015, 01:51 PM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Utah would never let Utah State join the PAC12
Zona and Zona State,Utah is one voice
Old 03-16-2015, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Atlantic 10 View Post
Zona and Zona State,Utah is one voice
Oregon and Oregon State were a package deal when they went to 8 members and Arizona/Arizona State were also packaged together when it became the PAC10.

IMRO, BYU has a better chance to join the PAC12 than Utah State...
Old 03-16-2015, 03:21 PM

Thanked 17,099 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
The MSP and actual Selection Sunday bracket is not exactly apples to apples. In the MSP you have journalists doing the number crunching, evaluation, and voting. Yesterday, you had athletic directors and other figureheads. Different people coming to different conclusions. A number of the figureheads on the actual committee are not from Power-5 institutions so I dont think they consciously "have it out" for the non Power-5 teams.

But when it comes to "the eye test" garbage, you stand a much better chance of having seen Texas play someone decent on TV this year than Dayton. Even when Texas was habitually losing. Perhaps you thought they lost gracefully to a Top-20 team. You dont get that visibility luxury with schools like Dayton or Tulsa or Temple.

The other thing is the committee obviously put a greater weight on volume of quality games played than the MSP did, rather than percentage of quality games won.

Whats better: a team that wins 20% of the marquee games (3-12) or a team that goes 2-2 (50%). I have to think the team that went 2-2 would have done better w/the same schedule as the team that went 3-12.

Had Dayton played Texas' schedule and many of those 15 games were at UD Arena, we'd have figured out a way to win more than 3. Even this thin team. We might have even won a couple on the road. We beat VCU which is better than any Texas road win.

If you are Texas however you can lose 5-6 marquee games in a row but still have the luxury of knowing you've got 6-8 more to make up for it. Every 3 or 4 days theres a chacne to erase a negative.

Next year, Arkansas is UDs Super Bowl. Not like West Virginia, KU, Baylor, Notre Dame, NCSU, and Villanova are also required to play here.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 03-16-2015, 03:25 PM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
If Portis declares for the NBA this year, Arkansas could be significantly weaker as a team.
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 03:28 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
As far as I'm concerned, Scott Barnes is Mr. Magoo. Eye test.....clown.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Buster Goode For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (03-16-2015), rasta man (03-16-2015), TerryK_67 (03-16-2015)