UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-30-2016, 01:35 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Peers...

Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
I am just curious who UD's peers are? I imagine that UD's giving rate is comparable to Xavier and Butler. I would be curious how UD's alumni giving compares statistically to those two schools. I can't think of any other schools in the immediate states of Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, or Michigan that would be more comparable than those two schools.

All three of those schools seem to have somewhat similar profiles. UD has a significantly larger student enrollment than those two.
Originally Posted by oRed View Post
not sure about the "give rate" but UD's endowment is larger than X and Butler combined by a significant amount, you can add both of theirs together and then add the larger of the 2 on top and the number would still not equal UD's. Of course their pool of graduates is smaller so their giving rate per capita could be equal to or greater.
I think many will be surprised by schools that UD considers its peers. The UD "Fact Book" contains a list of 20+ schools referred to as "Peer Institutions". On that list are schools like Drexel, Lehigh, Baylor as well as quite a few Catholics. Remember, "peers" are not defined as athletic peers. UD's list is comprised of privates about the size of UD and similar in other important ways.

I've been reading about college "giving rates" and I've learned a few things....in no special order:

1. Giving rates have been declining nationwide...probably reflecting the economy.

2. Nationally the annual giving rate is approximately 15% according to the figures I saw.

3. UD's ~ 10% rate is below the average...but not "embarrassing" as I have claimed.

4. What I will say is this: While not embarrassing....UD's 10% rate is well below average and is not consistent with the red and blue kool aid that flows so freely...nor is it consistent with the oft-stated claim that Dayton is truly "special", not like places like Notre Dame, for example, whose grads give at an annual rate over 30%.
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (01-30-2016)
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2016, 08:53 AM
2nd Lieutenant

BmoreFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightBmoreFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightBmoreFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightBmoreFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightBmoreFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightBmoreFlyer is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
I think many will be surprised by schools that UD considers its peers. The UD "Fact Book" contains a list of 20+ schools referred to as "Peer Institutions". On that list are schools like Drexel, Lehigh, Baylor as well as quite a few Catholics. Remember, "peers" are not defined as athletic peers. UD's list is comprised of privates about the size of UD and similar in other important ways.

I've been reading about college "giving rates" and I've learned a few things....in no special order:

1. Giving rates have been declining nationwide...probably reflecting the economy.

2. Nationally the annual giving rate is approximately 15% according to the figures I saw.

3. UD's ~ 10% rate is below the average...but not "embarrassing" as I have claimed.

4. What I will say is this: While not embarrassing....UD's 10% rate is well below average and is not consistent with the red and blue kool aid that flows so freely...nor is it consistent with the oft-stated claim that Dayton is truly "special", not like places like Notre Dame, for example, whose grads give at an annual rate over 30%.
It's pretty embarrassing considering the amount of pride most of our alumni take in the institution. My Dad is a perfect example... gives far more to our high school than to UD because he thinks UD has "too much money already." This is an idea that we need to address because it is not at all the case.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:32 AM
1st Lieutenant

UD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud of
OK, I have found out a few things that may happen:
1. The refurbishing of the Arena is going to happen. Would you rather spend $50 million now or $200 million in 10 to 15 years on a new Arena
2. The University will make the 300/400 seating areas really nice to maybe include concessions and escalators.
3. The seat licenses will NOT likely double. There will not be a reseating.
4. The goal is for it to be completed by the 2019/20 season.
5. It will take 2 off seasons to complete. Games will never be played anywhere else.

Last edited by UD_Earl; 02-10-2016 at 11:45 AM..
15 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD_Earl For This Totally Excellent Post:
axehandle (02-10-2016), ClaytonFlyerFan (02-10-2016), College B-Ball Fan (02-10-2016), flyhi524 (02-10-2016), jack72 (02-10-2016), Lifelong Flyer Fan (02-10-2016), Medford (02-10-2016), mikeymo85 (02-10-2016), priceg75 (02-12-2016), runnerup (02-10-2016), Runnin' Rebel (02-10-2016), skip69 (02-10-2016), The Fly (02-10-2016), UACFlyer (02-10-2016), UDEE79 (02-11-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 09:01 PM
Captain

marco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to behold
UD Earl assuming you are correct ... should people complete the online survey? it sounds like it is a fait accompli. The survey was sent out only to say they asked for customer input?
Old 02-11-2016, 02:15 AM
Major

Go-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BmoreFlyer View Post
It's pretty embarrassing considering the amount of pride most of our alumni take in the institution. My Dad is a perfect example... gives far more to our high school than to UD because he thinks UD has "too much money already." This is an idea that we need to address because it is not at all the case.
I'm sorry, I love UD but I have stopped thinking of it as a charity. UD's campus is beautiful, the rec-plex is stunning. Eating in a cafeteria is like eating on a cruise ship. They put fake brick on the 7 story library, they painted an enormous 5 story building because they wanted the brick's to be red not yellow. They put astro turf on the intramural field with an enormous DAYTON that can be seen from space.

UD is not a charity needing my money, it is a rich business that I love. I love going to Disney World, but do not consider giving them money.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Go-UD-Go For This Totally Excellent Post:
bp (02-12-2016), Figgie123 (02-11-2016), Flyer14 (02-19-2016), pmcmullen (05-12-2016), superfan99 (02-11-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 06:37 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,597 Times in 750 Posts
CoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Go-UD-Go View Post
I'm sorry, I love UD but I have stopped thinking of it as a charity. UD's campus is beautiful, the rec-plex is stunning. Eating in a cafeteria is like eating on a cruise ship. They put fake brick on the 7 story library, they painted an enormous 5 story building because they wanted the brick's to be red not yellow. They put astro turf on the intramural field with an enormous DAYTON that can be seen from space.

UD is not a charity needing my money, it is a rich business that I love. I love going to Disney World, but do not consider giving them money.
^^^ This ^^^^
Old 02-12-2016, 11:04 AM
1st Lieutenant

UD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by marco red eagle View Post
UD Earl assuming you are correct ... should people complete the online survey? it sounds like it is a fait accompli. The survey was sent out only to say they asked for customer input?
I would definitely complete the survey! Why wouldn't you? Were you asked take the survey?

Look, does UD want to be a Louisville? A Georgetown? A high end National Program? Isn't that what we all have always felt UD could be? It takes Money to compete with those programs. Would you rather UD compete against Middle tier Regional Catholic programs like: LaSalle or Detroit or Duquesne? Or would you rather compete Nationally against Notre Dame or Georgetown or Marquette.

I am tired of hearing the whining about money. If you cannot afford to sit in the 100s - sit in the 200s. If you cannot afford to sit in the 200's, sit in the 300's. It is all about choices. I have chosen to give up my Bengals Club seats to invest in 2 more UD seats. Why? It has nothing really to do with the Bengals or there lack of playoff wins - but the game day experience at PBS (or any other stadium) is not Better than sitting at home and watching it on an HD TV. The Game Day experience at UD Arena is FAR FAR greater than sitting at home. PERIOD. I want two more seats so I can take all of my kids. I made a decision based on my economics. I made a choice. Those on here can whine about the cost, but there is a cost to having Archie and a National Program. As opposed to having a BG headcoaching type and a Regional Program. I for one have chosen to invest my money in UD.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD_Earl For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (02-12-2016), jerseyflyer09 (02-12-2016), UACFlyer (02-12-2016), UDGutter2 (02-12-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 11:08 AM
1st Lieutenant

jerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to behold
I live a few states away and haven't been back to campus in awhile. I got the email for the survey and wanted to help but quickly realized it was more about the arena experience which I am not adequately suited to comment on comparatively speaking. With that said, the big complaint on tv is the angle at which the camera is faced to film from. Was there anywhere in the survey where that came up? A comment section where there could be a new broadcasting space so we can get a more suitable angle on game day?
Old 02-12-2016, 11:22 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,559 Times in 2,452 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jerseyflyer09 View Post
I live a few states away and haven't been back to campus in awhile. I got the email for the survey and wanted to help but quickly realized it was more about the arena experience which I am not adequately suited to comment on comparatively speaking. With that said, the big complaint on tv is the angle at which the camera is faced to film from. Was there anywhere in the survey where that came up? A comment section where there could be a new broadcasting space so we can get a more suitable angle on game day?
It's been a while since I did mine, but I think there was a section where you could make any suggestions that you wished.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:25 AM
1st Lieutenant

I think the angle will kind of always be what it is. But even if there was a better angle, just the feel of the crowd, the excitement of being - nothing compares.

I have a very good friend that is a UC grad and UC fan. Or kids go to school together - nicest guy and family ever - but definitely a UC guy. He took his kids to the UD - Duquesne game last week and he said that he had never experienced a game like that - or more to point - the in game experience. First of all, he could not believe how many people he knew and ran into. He said UD Arena did not have the feel of typical college basketball game - it was different. Very very comfortable. But what even more impressed him - was just the crowd and and excitement. His two kids are now definitely Flyer fans and asking him when they get to go again. That my friends is Why UD Arena and Flyers are so special. They are the fabric of Dayton - once you catch it - it holds on to you the rest of your life...
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD_Earl For This Totally Excellent Post:
david85 (03-03-2016), TerryK_67 (02-12-2016), UACFlyer (02-12-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 11:40 AM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
My assumption is the survey was sent out so they could gauge the fan's reactions. Remember when the "V" part of the new logo was originally blue on the floor, fan reactions most likely is why it was repainted red so that the "V" part would disappear. I think the same thing here, they likely spend a decent chunk of money getting the renderings and feasibility studies down for what has been presented, I doubt they want to deviate from those plans too much, but they'd also like to know what their customers liked about the plans, what they didn't like as well as an opportunity to generate a little buzz and hopefully increase donations to the project.

I doubt the survey was ever going to provide whole sale changes to the plans, mostly just tweaks to what they have already done.
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD_Earl (02-12-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 11:49 AM
1st Lieutenant

jerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to behold
Oh yeah...I never meant improving the angle would make it better than being at the arena. I'm just someone who really can't get to Dayton much so it's a bigger deal to me. Obviously given the choice and if I lived within an hour I'd be there.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:05 PM
1st Lieutenant

Flyer14 is a jewel in the roughFlyer14 is a jewel in the roughFlyer14 is a jewel in the roughFlyer14 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Go-UD-Go View Post

That mentality is no good though. Look at other university's endowments across the nation. UD's is respectable at $500 million, but far from the top by any means. UD's campus, as much as I love it, simply doesn't have the aesthetic beauty of other campuses (Miami comes to mind). Because of that, UD has to be willing to spend the extra bucks to keep campus looking good so we can recruit when prospective students come for their tour.

DDN recently put out an article re. giving to universities in the area. Wright State's money is all over the place, but UD pulled in $28.2 million last fiscal year. I agree that's a lot of money, but $7 million came from Fuyao to pay for our China Institute. For comparison's sake, Ohio State brought in $359 million and Notre Dame brought in $380 last year alone. That's almost our entire endowment.

DDN Article: http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/new...ondaily_launch
Old 02-19-2016, 04:10 PM

wes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Flyer14 View Post
That mentality is no good though. Look at other university's endowments across the nation. UD's is respectable at $500 million, but far from the top by any means. UD's campus, as much as I love it, simply doesn't have the aesthetic beauty of other campuses (Miami comes to mind). Because of that, UD has to be willing to spend the extra bucks to keep campus looking good so we can recruit when prospective students come for their tour.

DDN recently put out an article re. giving to universities in the area. Wright State's money is all over the place, but UD pulled in $28.2 million last fiscal year. I agree that's a lot of money, but $7 million came from Fuyao to pay for our China Institute. For comparison's sake, Ohio State brought in $359 million and Notre Dame brought in $380 last year alone. That's almost our entire endowment.

DDN Article: http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/new...ondaily_launch
O S U and Notre Dame are a bit larger than U D . Is it fair to compare?
Old 02-19-2016, 04:22 PM
1st Lieutenant

Flyer14 is a jewel in the roughFlyer14 is a jewel in the roughFlyer14 is a jewel in the roughFlyer14 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by wes View Post
Notre Dame is the same size and proportionally OSU's giving rate is still much higher than UD's
Old 02-19-2016, 04:39 PM
2nd Lieutenant

BmoreFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightBmoreFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightBmoreFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightBmoreFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightBmoreFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightBmoreFlyer is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by wes View Post
It's fair against OSU... donations at public institutions are often far less than that of private schools (especially religiously affiliated schools). Can't compare to ND or OSU as they are machines

Last school I worked out brought in over 15 million with just over 17K alumni. UD has 100,000+ and raised about double. Endowment is all well and good but the yield on those is usually about 5% which really is not that much, its the unrestricted giving that truly has an impact. That's where your $1000 gift truly has an impact (the same as 20,000 in endowment)
Old 02-19-2016, 06:32 PM

wes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to behold
It's fair against OSU... donations at public institutions are often far less than that of private schools (especially religiously affiliated schools). Can't compare to ND or OSU as they are machines

Last school I worked out brought in over 15 million with just over 17K alumni. UD has 100,000+ and raised about double. Endowment is all well and good but the yield on those is usually about 5% which really is not that much, its the unrestricted giving that truly has an impact. That's where your $1000 gift truly has an impact (the same as 20,000 in endowment)
My son is a OSU alum . I would think they run 60K students a year threw there. They sent my son requests for money before the ink was dry on his diploma . they must be getting huge amounts of donations. no way U D is even close .
Old 02-19-2016, 08:02 PM

Thanked 17,095 Times in 5,100 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
UD would greatly improve their giving percentages if they completely tore up whatever model they are currently using and created something far more personal and profound. I just cannot believe the method currently in place even got past the cutting room floor.

The issue with most UD grads is not that UD asks for money, or asks for money so often. Its that UD never comes around at all unless they want money. In our personal lives, we eliminate friends like these.

When was the last time someone at UD picked up the phone, opened up Outlook, or sent me letter -- from either UD the Mothership, or UD the local alumni outreach satellite -- and asked me how I was doing and if there was anything in their power they could to do help me in my post-Dayton life.

The answer to that would be an emphatic 'never'. This is not how you build trust and relationships. This is not how you build comfort and confidence in people before sending them a letter with a return envelope in it asking for cash.

I spent almost 6 years at UD working on a degree founded in communicating. Somewhere along the line, those that taught me forgot the curriculum and what it's all about. Relationships take work. There is no default overage of gratitude or debt that I, or anyone else, owes UD. I paid X dollars for Y education. I didn't get it for free. It was cash for services. We both "won".

UD needs to tear up how they do things and start at the bottom -- building relationships one on one. Yeah, there are tens of thousands of UD grads out there. But every second you keep wasting is another second you aren't going to get a check in the mail. They need to spend about 24-36 months rebuilding relationships and forgetting about asking for checks entirely. Once you've restored some of those broken channels and mended a lot of those disappointed alums, then perhaps you'll be in a stronger position to ask for a gratuity.

Its not that UD grads don't want to give or don't have it to give. Its that too many feel UD has abused the relationship and sees alumni as ATM machines rather than people interested in having a two-way relationship with their university. By definition, relationships have to be two-way. Otherwise they are just acquaintances.

UD also needs to get over the cash fetish and realize UD grads can inject value back into the university in many ways. Donating their time, expertise, mentoring, business relationships, etc are just as valuable if not more so. I have attempted to do some of these things in the past and its met with apathy and indifference. UD creates these boxes and if you're way of helping doesn't fit in the box, they don't bother creating another box that leverages what you can do given your limited time and resources to make your generosity as painless and accommodating as possible. Seems entirely counter-productive but hey whadda I know.

In the meantime, I tend to give directly to UD grads or other UD ventures needing assistance. In the last three months I donated to UD T&F athlete Jordan Hoffman for surgery to eliminate painful tumors her healthcare will not cover, and former UD soccer player Juliana Libertin to perform mission work in Tanzania. Trying to pay it forward, even if these will never show up in the US News and World Report boxscore.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Angry John (02-19-2016), Buick-Flyer (02-19-2016), Gazoo (03-04-2016), jack72 (02-20-2016), rollo (02-20-2016), Sea Bass (03-03-2016), skip69 (04-19-2016), wes (02-19-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 08:33 PM

Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,074 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
UD ...When was the last time someone at UD picked up the phone, opened up Outlook, or sent me letter -- from either UD the Mothership, or UD the local alumni outreach satellite -- and asked me how I was doing and if there was anything in their power they could to do help me in my post-Dayton life...
It is funny that you ask this because a month ago I got an email out of the blue from Joshua Francis of the UD advancement office and he did EXACTLY this. He invited me to lunch, welcomed me to bring other alums talked to us got to know us told us about himself. Never one time asked for money. He picked up the check and he sent me a handwritten followup note thanking me for participating and gave me a small logo lapel pin.

I am not a big donor at all, I am a regular donor but in amounts that would probably embarrass some of you. I went into the lunch meeting dreading a hard sell for donations but nothing like that at all happened.

Last edited by UDEE79; 02-19-2016 at 08:37 PM..
Mad Props to UDEE79 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (02-20-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 09:22 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,597 Times in 750 Posts
CoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer14 View Post
Notre Dame is the same size and proportionally OSU's giving rate is still much higher than UD's
With all due respect, we are not Notre Dame any more than Wright State is UD.

If it were not for Notre Dame, etc, UD would not feel that they have to "compete" for students. And, let's be honest, how many undergrads have a decision coming that is between Dayton and Notre Dame? I doubt many are im that position.

OSU is much, much larger than UD. They may give more, but maybe that has something to do with football tickets. And the way that those statistics are derived, even if I gave a nickel to UD I would count toward the participation rate.

We would compare with a Xavier or Depaul or something in terms of size and giving. But if they give more than we do I would not be upset at all.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:27 PM
Captain

Angry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud of
What use to bother me when I had conversations with high ranking UD Administrators was that one of the first portions of the conversation always centered around to asking what I did for a living. It came across as, "how much money I can suck out of him."
Old 02-20-2016, 10:26 AM

UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Totally opposite experience....

Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
UD would greatly improve their giving percentages if they completely tore up whatever model they are currently using and created something far more personal and profound. I just cannot believe the method currently in place even got past the cutting room floor.

The issue with most UD grads is not that UD asks for money, or asks for money so often. Its that UD never comes around at all unless they want money. In our personal lives, we eliminate friends like these.

When was the last time someone at UD picked up the phone, opened up Outlook, or sent me letter -- from either UD the Mothership, or UD the local alumni outreach satellite -- and asked me how I was doing and if there was anything in their power they could to do help me in my post-Dayton life.

The answer to that would be an emphatic 'never'. This is not how you build trust and relationships. This is not how you build comfort and confidence in people before sending them a letter with a return envelope in it asking for cash.

I spent almost 6 years at UD working on a degree founded in communicating. Somewhere along the line, those that taught me forgot the curriculum and what it's all about. Relationships take work. There is no default overage of gratitude or debt that I, or anyone else, owes UD. I paid X dollars for Y education. I didn't get it for free. It was cash for services. We both "won".

UD needs to tear up how they do things and start at the bottom -- building relationships one on one. Yeah, there are tens of thousands of UD grads out there. But every second you keep wasting is another second you aren't going to get a check in the mail. They need to spend about 24-36 months rebuilding relationships and forgetting about asking for checks entirely. Once you've restored some of those broken channels and mended a lot of those disappointed alums, then perhaps you'll be in a stronger position to ask for a gratuity.

Its not that UD grads don't want to give or don't have it to give. Its that too many feel UD has abused the relationship and sees alumni as ATM machines rather than people interested in having a two-way relationship with their university. By definition, relationships have to be two-way. Otherwise they are just acquaintances.

UD also needs to get over the cash fetish and realize UD grads can inject value back into the university in many ways. Donating their time, expertise, mentoring, business relationships, etc are just as valuable if not more so. I have attempted to do some of these things in the past and its met with apathy and indifference. UD creates these boxes and if you're way of helping doesn't fit in the box, they don't bother creating another box that leverages what you can do given your limited time and resources to make your generosity as painless and accommodating as possible. Seems entirely counter-productive but hey whadda I know.

In the meantime, I tend to give directly to UD grads or other UD ventures needing assistance. In the last three months I donated to UD T&F athlete Jordan Hoffman for surgery to eliminate painful tumors her healthcare will not cover, and former UD soccer player Juliana Libertin to perform mission work in Tanzania. Trying to pay it forward, even if these will never show up in the US News and World Report boxscore.
I live a long way from UD and, while a donor, I am not a big donor by any means. Over the years, and in recent years, I have received several invitations to meet for lunch with UD reps who were in the area for one reason or another. Once while president Bro Ray invited me to lunch (and picked up the check!). So, you see, these contacts have been going on for a long time.

At no time,....not once,...during any of these encounters was money mentioned, nor was there even a hint of it. Rather, the meetings were simply cordial, friendly outreach connections to an alum.

As for the "model", there are much data showing that the success rate of student call fund raising programs is very high. For most people it's just tough to blow off a student caller. That's why UD follows that model, why most schools use it and why it's so effective.

Chris' description (above) of UD's approach to alums simply is 180 deg opposite my personal experience of many, many years,

Last edited by UACFlyer; 02-20-2016 at 11:41 AM..
Old 02-23-2016, 10:57 AM
2nd Lieutenant

Looks like they are moving forward with the next steps... got an email yesterday about an on campus focus group. Would love to attend if I was closer
Old 02-23-2016, 05:03 PM

Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
As accessible and visible as I am, if nobody ever bothers with me, I have to assume most people are never getting any reach-outs either unless its glad-handing season.

Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
TerryK_67 (02-23-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 09:59 AM
Major

Go-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by UDEE79 View Post
It is funny that you ask this because a month ago I got an email out of the blue from Joshua Francis of the UD advancement office and he did EXACTLY this. He invited me to lunch, welcomed me to bring other alums talked to us got to know us told us about himself. Never one time asked for money. He picked up the check and he sent me a handwritten followup note thanking me for participating and gave me a small logo lapel pin.
I was with UDEE79 and can attest to the soft approach. The UD representative even ran down some parking complaints that I had. I was ready to confront any money begging, too. It didn't happen. Just free Dewey's Pizza.

The alumni cadre is too big for us all to get this soft approach, but they are trying.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:08 AM

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
In the past 5 years, UD has contacted me twice...once via email and once on my cell...and both times it was to tell me that emailing the AD to share my opinion of and asking questions about the status of certain athletes is against UD HR policy.

And neither time did they end the conversation with a request for cash.

But I still send them money and they always send back a Thank You note.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:59 AM

Thanked 10,128 Times in 5,864 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
After three years finally got tickets for a Duke game this Thursday. Not that interested in the game, but I am very interested to be inside Cameron, and to feel the atmosphere. Cameron is 76 years old and had a huge remodel in 1988 and now seats 9,300. The student section holds 1,100 but they often cram in up to 1.600.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:08 AM
1st Lieutenant

ParkerUD09 is infamous around these partsParkerUD09 is infamous around these partsParkerUD09 is infamous around these parts
Looks like they are moving forward with the next steps... got an email yesterday about an on campus focus group. Would love to attend if I was closer
I signed up to attend on March 2nd...anyone else going? Any idea how many folks will be there or if there are multiple sessions/dates?
Old 03-02-2016, 09:32 PM
Captain

marco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to behold
Arena Remodel Focus Group
- there were 5 focus groups, 1.5 hour each, about 16 person in a group
- zero discussion on building a new Arena .. and zero discussion about anything on campus
- major discussion on accepting money for naming rights to rename the arena ... To a sponsor
- major discussion on doubling the existing seat license ... zero of 16 said they wouldn't renew their seats on double the seat license ... everyone to a man or women saying it is OK to double the seat license
- the straw man was a renovation of $100M
Mad Props to marco red eagle For This Totally Excellent Post:
Whacker (03-03-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 10:57 PM
Captain

Angry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud of
Sounds like a dog and pony show when you have 16 to 0 votes on doubling the seat license. Even North Korea does not have 100% votes.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:56 PM
2nd Lieutenant

ortez52 is just really niceortez52 is just really niceortez52 is just really niceortez52 is just really niceortez52 is just really nice
Arena

I was there on the focus group on March 2 .Everything stated on here is true every body in our group said they had no problems with increase.Plans they have are outstanding. Major. Improvrments. Would be first class Arena.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:08 AM
Captain

I doubt they were plants ... I wasn't asked to go and vote in any direction.

IMO it was 100% because UD has the only game in town, a monopoly (today), everyone wants a piece of the action, all of us have drunk the koolaid ... yes including me. I couldn't say no .. that I wouldn't renew ... because I will renew at about any price.

The takeaway from the focus group was ... the 16 individuals were truly fanatic ... and money was no object to all the seat holders. The common thread amongst the focus group members was ... the interest to get more or "better" seats. So they definitely picked the die hard members of the fan base to study.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:24 AM
Captain

I do wonder how many are plants or work for the University or lack cahunas to stand up and speak their minds. I am just as diehard as anybody, but I believe in a common sense conservative fiscal approach. The first thing I would demand is to be shown what the money is going to be used for in the project. If satisfied, I would support some increase in the seat license, but not doubling it. I would support naming rights for advertising money to take the pressure off the seat license increases.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:26 AM
1st Lieutenant

ParkerUD09 is infamous around these partsParkerUD09 is infamous around these partsParkerUD09 is infamous around these parts
Fairly diverse group of fans, 400s, 300s, 200s, 100s. All ages and donation levels. Most of the conversation was related to the type of "premium" seating (i.e. club vs loge) and ASP amount. Seemed like they wanted to get a feel for how passionate people were for various improvements. Arena sponsorship was a hot topic.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:39 AM
Captain

What was the feedback on the naming rights ? Just throwing out a number (No idea what the market rate is for this) like $50 million for the new University of Dayton-Premier Health Arena for 40 years.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:44 AM
1st Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Angry John View Post
What was the feedback on the naming rights ? Just throwing out a number (No idea what the market rate is for this) like $50 million for the new University of Dayton-Premier Health Arena for 40 years.
Mixed reactions...Everyone likes the current name and the idea of changing it had some support if it meant less impact to ASP increases.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:11 AM

Focus groups by nature are a pre-sort. You dont volunteer at all unless you're interested in the possibilities. Which makes you pre-disposed to spend more.

Its like judging customer service effectiveness based on those returning questionnaires. Nobody fills out customer service questionnaires unless they had a problem to begin with.

Gotta start somewhere however.

2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-03-2016), shocka43 (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 08:06 AM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
I spoke with many "upper tier" UD supporters...they grump non-stop about the potential price...but you know as well as I do that not many, if at all, will drop tickets. This was as recent as yesterday...after news from the focus groups was discussed.

Make the premium folks pay premium prices..no problem...but don't dump the bill for suits on those who will never step foot in them.

It was mentioned that part of the original idea of seat licensing was to pay for the sports other than men's basketball. If this is the case, then the original sell of a seat license to pay for other sports was just BS to begin with...which we all know anyway. I don't recall what the original snake oil argument was...
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Angry John (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 08:24 AM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
If I give an exam an all 16 of my students get 100%, I didn't ask enough of them.

Same theory with the seat license question. If 100% of the focus group says they'll pay double, UD has to be wondering if they can ask for more.

Interesting.
Angry John (03-03-2016), jack72 (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 08:32 AM
1st Lieutenant

The idea of doubling ASP contributions was completely hypothetical to get opinions out of people, as stated by the consultant. Had they said 10% increase there would be little reaction and the exercise pointless.

People took it way out of context.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:46 AM
Captain

Originally Posted by ParkerUD09 View Post
The idea of doubling ASP contributions was completely hypothetical to get opinions out of people, as stated by the consultant. Had they said 10% increase there would be little reaction and the exercise pointless.

People took it way out of context.
ParkerUD is correct ... The moderator did say the doubling was just a number and hypothetical ... However very little discussion of a 10% increase ... No discussion of a 50% increase. The major discussion was on 100% increase in the seat license.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-03-2016, 10:52 AM

runnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to all
I stressed in the survey to please don't sell the name of UD Arena. It's one of the things that makes our place special. Find money elsewhere. Look what they did in Columbus. It really cheapens up your image imo.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:56 AM
Captain

Originally Posted by runnerup View Post
I stressed in the survey to please don't sell the name of UD Arena. It's one of the things that makes our place special. Find money elsewhere. Look what they did in Columbus. It really cheapens up your image imo.
The focus group said ... We want to keep the existing name ... BUT if you don't double our seat license we are OK with it ... Certain people stressed it was critical to have a solid business or individual name ... No Victoria Secret Arena.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-03-2016, 12:05 PM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like a dog and pony show when you have 16 to 0 votes on doubling the seat license. Even North Korea does not have 100% votes.
talked to a friend that was invited to one. He was the only one in his group that said he would not pay double the seat license, so his must have been 15-1.

His comment was better start saving because double the seat license is coming.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:06 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by runnerup View Post
They cheapened it by not being selective enough. When you think of Value City you don't think of end tables to display an expensive vase. I don't know what Ohio State got for naming their arena, but with that name, it wasn't enough, in my opinion.

I too would hate to lose "University of Dayton Arena" and maybe there is a way to keep it in some way, but if the company and the price is right, and a good name can be agreed upon, then it is hard to say no.

I have read some say $100M as a cost. At that price are they considering an upper deck behind the baskets? That seems a bit pricey for basically, a few suites.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:11 PM

Thanked 6,124 Times in 4,169 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDGutter2 View Post
I have read some say $100M as a cost. At that price are they considering an upper deck behind the baskets? That seems a bit pricey for basically, a few suites.
That seems very pricey, the entire Cintas Center, in today's dollars, would only cost $63 million to build brand new.

Broke ground February 26, 1998[1]
Opened November 18, 2000
Construction cost $46 million
($63.2 million in 2016 dollars[2])

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cintas_Center
Old 03-03-2016, 12:15 PM
Captain

Dogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant future
Maybe we can sell the naming rights to United Dairy Farmers and keep the UD Arena with a very small "f" after the D.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Dogdaddy For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (03-03-2016), mikeymo85 (03-03-2016), SacramentoFlyer (03-04-2016), UDGutter2 (03-03-2016), wes (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 12:19 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
1-800-GOT-JUNK Center

Is your team coming in here with a weak effort? Get that junk outta here!
Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Angry John (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 12:22 PM

The Smell of Success...

King
Rollo
Athletic
Palace
BRob2Perryman3 (03-03-2016), Gazoo (03-04-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 01:06 PM

runnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to all
I admit to being old fashioned but some things should not be for sale. That said I know everything is for sale. Hell they even sold the Rose Bowl but that don't make it right.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:17 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Dollar Store Arena

Oh NOOOOO!
Mad Props to Alberto Strasse For This Totally Excellent Post:
runnerup (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 01:30 PM
Captain

There were 5 focus groups ... so some/other groups may have not been 100% for OK'ing doubling the seat license ... I can only share the info from the focus group I was in.

Concerning the $100 Million remodel number ... it was again a notional and hypothetical number. He did say ... it most likely would be "less than $100 Million."

Yes the focus group was loving the presentation ... because they don't have to sell the product to the free and open market. Who wouldn't want "Better lighting" and "interactive internet stations" in the lodge/suite, a lounge open for every ticket holder(the day of the game to grab a beer)????

IMO for a $100M ... all we are getting are wider concourses ... which I would love ... but no way in heck do I think it is worth it ... I still don't get what benefit we are getting for doubling the seat license and possibly charging every season seat holder (even 300, 400) a fee.

IMO the seat license program is the golden egg (for all UD athletics) ... that can be easily broken ... by doubling the seat license. Yes I would pay it ... but I think it could be the start of the demise of UD basketball. If UD was in the NCAA 8 out of 10 years, it would NOT be the start of the demise. But there is just too much risk and not enough reward. Spend $100M on how 18 year old college kids play basketball??? I would not advise doubling the seat license and spending the money on the renovation.
Glen Clark (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 01:57 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,325 Times in 444 Posts
Runnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond repute
We've had some discussions in our section (200's)... and I can tell you for certain, a minimum of 8 seats will open up in our section if they double the seat license - probably more.

People seem to think everyone in the lower arena has plenty of money, but a lot of folks near me are on a fixed income (retired)... and can't afford that high of an increase.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Runnin' Rebel For This Totally Excellent Post:
1in25 (03-03-2016), Angry John (03-03-2016), ClaytonFlyerFan (03-03-2016), rollo (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 02:34 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
For the couple of games a year I go to in Dayton, I would have not problem paying more for tickets. If I was a season ticket holder and paying for a seat license, I would be all for selling the naming rights to the highest bidder. It is the way of the world now.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:35 PM

The doubling of the seat license added to the face value of a ticket will push the value of that ticket to $100 or more per game for many of us....a game that I would hope the AD realizes I can watch on TV in my home....that I hope the AD realizes is equipped with a bigass high def TV and surround sound.

I guess the AD believes that the local economy is stronger than Obama says!

Last edited by rollo; 03-03-2016 at 02:38 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
1in25 (03-03-2016), Angry John (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 02:36 PM
Captain

I do believe the UD Administration does not talk to the right groups. Too many corporate empty suit types and individuals that live on the East Coast. They need to get more of the individualist/opinionated/hard corp / speak your mind/think outside the box/retired/bit--er types. Chris Reiman would be good, because he is smart, thinks outside the box and will speak his mind. Others that would be good would be Rollo, TMan, Tom Blackburn and myself. I know there are plenty of others. No Mr. Wiggles.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Angry John For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-03-2016), ClaytonFlyerFan (03-03-2016), rollo (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 02:45 PM
Captain

I know human nature and the economy around here will not support $100.00 tickets. You will lose your retired fans that built the program. The few that are replaced by the empty suit types, will hit the road in two years if Archie leaves for greener pastures and we are stuck with Sam Miller type of players and our record falls to like13 and 18. You would see 5,000 at a game. That is what happened to UC when Thuggs left. UC soaked the people and then they fled.

Last edited by Angry John; 03-03-2016 at 02:47 PM..
Old 03-03-2016, 02:49 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
I do believe the UD Administration does not talk to the right groups. Too many corporate empty suit types and individuals that live on the East Coast. They need to get more of the individualist/opinionated/hard corp / speak your mind/think outside the box/retired/bit--er types. Chris Reiman would be good, because he is smart, thinks outside the box and will speak his mind. Others that would be good would be Rollo, TMan, Tom Blackburn and myself. I know there are plenty of others. No Mr. Wiggles.
But Mr. Wiggles would offer great advice on how to remodel the bathrooms.
Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
Angry John (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 04:36 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
You would see 5,000 at a game. That is what happened to UC when Thuggs left. UC soaked the people and then they fled.
I don't know, seems like that maybe had more to do with anger over firing Huggins...Cronin has done a good job...the UC fans need to get over their anger already, that was 11 years ago.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:57 PM
Captain

Crowds are now starting to return to UC, but it took them awhile to warm up to Cronin.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:23 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,488 Times in 763 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
The more I read about this topic and the more I think about it, the more I wonder what we are trying to accomplish. As UD Arena sits today, I'd say that it is in the top 15% of the college basketball venues out there today, by any measure. So, beyond past due maintenance and infrastructure repairs, what are you trying to accomplish, and more importantly for who?
For the A10? No, we arguably have the best arena in the A10. The Big East? No, We are easily in the top third there as well and significant upgrades will not get us in and doing nothing will not keep us out. The NCAA? No, we have the First Four pretty much locked up, and short of a new 20,000 seat arena, we will never get anything beyond the First Four. Recruits? NO, recruits come for coaches, leagues, exposure, not arenas. The Flyer Faithful? I'm not sure. We are the only real game in town. No one is yelling and screaming for more amenities, wider aisles, toilets, etc. Sure we'd like them, but at what price. Doubling my seat license so I can watch others sit in club levels and eat sushi does not work for me. It's just the opposite. I want UD Arena to be the most feared arena in basketball. Where basketball is the only focus. For every 50 fan seats we replace with 10 club seats, we lose all 50 fans. It's UD basketball, it's 2 hours, its what we are living, dying, and cheering for. Upgrades are nice, but they don't win basketball games. Doubling seat licenses and selling naming rights don't win basketball games and don't guarantee coaches will stay with your program. They pay for upgrades. UD needs to be careful of biting the hand that has fed it for 50+ years. 95% of the same fans have purchased seats for 40+ years and their loyalty should be rewarded. Doubling seat licenses will cause loyal fans to be replaced by fickle fans who will come and go as W's and L's go. These plans sound great in focus groups until you have to sit down in May and write a check for November.

At the end of the day, I think this is part of the larger process of raising the stature and visibility of the university at large - this time at the expense of the Flyer Faithful.

I'm for limited upgrades that benefit all and I'm willing to help pay for those upgrades. If you want to double seat licenses, do it on all new ticket holders, not those who helped you get you where you are today.

As I said in my survey, "UD and UD Arena is a special place. It needs to remain a special place. Do not "F" this up."
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to N2663R For This Totally Excellent Post:
1in25 (03-04-2016), Angry John (03-03-2016), Flyer14 (03-04-2016), Radar (03-04-2016), Runnin' Rebel (03-04-2016), TerryK_67 (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 10:21 PM
General

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,050 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by N2663R View Post
The more I read about this topic and the more I think about it, the more I wonder what we are trying to accomplish. . . The NCAA? No, we have the First Four pretty much locked up, and short of a new 20,000 seat arena, we will never get anything beyond the First Four. . . "

Not true - the Arena hosts first and second round games in the NCAA Tournament with some regularity. The Arena is too small to host the Regionals - that would require a facility north of 18,500 seats.

Personally, I think the University should bite the bullet and build a larger modern facility next to the Arena, tear the old Arena down on completion of the new facility, and be set for the next fifty years - with the bonus of occasionally hosting the Regionals.

Iguomaniac (03-04-2016), Ready Action (03-04-2016), Whacker (03-04-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 12:12 AM

I also think $100M for a renovation with no seating capacity expansion is not on the table. If you renovate, you will probably do it for closer to $50M. When you start reaching $100M with no additional ways to generate income (Ice Capades, monster truck pulls, Flo Rida reunion tour), you are already halfway funded to a brand new facility that will get you to 2050 and be able to generate revenue 100 days a year rather than 25.

I do not see any ticket demand that necessitates a greater seating capacity than we already have however.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:18 AM
2nd Lieutenant

Yorkshire Flyer is just really niceYorkshire Flyer is just really niceYorkshire Flyer is just really niceYorkshire Flyer is just really niceYorkshire Flyer is just really nice
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
We've had some discussions in our section (200's)... and I can tell you for certain, a minimum of 8 seats will open up in our section if they double the seat license - probably more.

People seem to think everyone in the lower arena has plenty of money, but a lot of folks near me are on a fixed income (retired)... and can't afford that high of an increase.
I sit in the 200 section and have been a season ticket holder for many years. There is no way I could withstand a double seat license fee. On the bright side - it would save me an hour drive each way and I wouldn't be near as tired going to work in the mornings after Games.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:52 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
The more I read about this topic and the more I think about it, the more I wonder what we are trying to accomplish. As UD Arena sits today, I'd say that it is in the top 15% of the college basketball venues out there today, by any measure. So, beyond past due maintenance and infrastructure repairs, what are you trying to accomplish, and more importantly for who?
For the A10? No, we arguably have the best arena in the A10. The Big East? No, We are easily in the top third there as well and significant upgrades will not get us in and doing nothing will not keep us out. The NCAA? No, we have the First Four pretty much locked up, and short of a new 20,000 seat arena, we will never get anything beyond the First Four. Recruits? NO, recruits come for coaches, leagues, exposure, not arenas. The Flyer Faithful? I'm not sure. We are the only real game in town. No one is yelling and screaming for more amenities, wider aisles, toilets, etc. Sure we'd like them, but at what price. Doubling my seat license so I can watch others sit in club levels and eat sushi does not work for me. It's just the opposite. I want UD Arena to be the most feared arena in basketball. Where basketball is the only focus. For every 50 fan seats we replace with 10 club seats, we lose all 50 fans. It's UD basketball, it's 2 hours, its what we are living, dying, and cheering for. Upgrades are nice, but they don't win basketball games. Doubling seat licenses and selling naming rights don't win basketball games and don't guarantee coaches will stay with your program. They pay for upgrades. UD needs to be careful of biting the hand that has fed it for 50+ years. 95% of the same fans have purchased seats for 40+ years and their loyalty should be rewarded. Doubling seat licenses will cause loyal fans to be replaced by fickle fans who will come and go as W's and L's go. These plans sound great in focus groups until you have to sit down in May and write a check for November.

At the end of the day, I think this is part of the larger process of raising the stature and visibility of the university at large - this time at the expense of the Flyer Faithful.

I'm for limited upgrades that benefit all and I'm willing to help pay for those upgrades. If you want to double seat licenses, do it on all new ticket holders, not those who helped you get you where you are today.

As I said in my survey, "UD and UD Arena is a special place. It needs to remain a special place. Do not "F" this up."
N2663R, if you weren't part of the survey, suggest you send this to UD unsolicited. In my response to the survey, I noted much of what you said in my "additional remarks." In the survey, and in my opinion, UD failed to thoroughly define their objective or end game with the renovation. Is it past due maintenance? Clearly not. Is it to appease the NCAA? At the expense of a loyal fan base? Hmmm....
Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
skip69 (04-19-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 09:14 AM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
The NCAA? No, we have the First Four pretty much locked up, and short of a new 20,000 seat arena, we will never get anything beyond the First Four.
The NCAA will begin taking bids this spring for the next city to host the NCAA First Four Men's Basketball play-in rounds in 2019, 2020 and 2021. Doug Hauschild, director of athletics communication for UD, said the school intends to put its name in once again, as well as to apply for the second and third-round games.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/ne...host-2019.html
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Ready Action For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-04-2016), Glen Clark (03-04-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 12:00 PM

The NCAA keeps jacking up the prices of NCAAT tix every year, the arenas on the smaller side, like UD Arena, still have a chance at hosting the first and second round due to declining attendance at NCAAT games due to the poor economy, and again, ticket price increases.

Some/many of the sites for NCAAT games in rounds 1-4 do not sell out anymore.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:11 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,559 Times in 2,452 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
I received an email this am on tickets to follow the Flyers in the NCAA. It says that the NCAA has reduced the "pool allocation" from 200 to 100 tickets. Wonder why they would do this if the venues aren't selling out.
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Runnin' Rebel (03-04-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
I received an email this am on tickets to follow the Flyers in the NCAA. It says that the NCAA has reduced the "pool allocation" from 200 to 100 tickets. Wonder why they would do this if the venues aren't selling out.
Yes, I was aware of that too, all I can tell you is that for the past several years, when I have gone to the NCAAT, some of the arenas have not been sold out.

Huge places like the Georgia Dome, like for rounds 3 and 4, in my experience, have always had a ton of empty seats in the upper sections.

Maybe those team allocations were not selling out for certain teams?

You can sometimes buy tix from fans of teams that lost, either outside the arena or from fans walking the concourse wearing the gear of teams that lost. And conversely you can sometimes sell your unwanted tix, if your team lost, to fans of teams that won.

Last edited by ud2; 03-04-2016 at 01:38 PM..
Old 03-04-2016, 02:01 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,488 Times in 763 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
N2663R, if you weren't part of the survey, suggest you send this to UD unsolicited. In my response to the survey, I noted much of what you said in my "additional remarks." In the survey, and in my opinion, UD failed to thoroughly define their objective or end game with the renovation. Is it past due maintenance? Clearly not. Is it to appease the NCAA? At the expense of a loyal fan base? Hmmm....
I was part of the survey and my quote at the bottom of my post was verbatim from my survey input. As for NCAA games past the First Four, when was the last time we had those and when is the next time we are scheduled for those games?

Why are we so hung up on those games anyway?? They don't make any meaningful revenue, they have not landed us any McDonalds All Americans, they didn't cause Archie to come here, they didn't get us into the NCAA tournament or get us a higher seed , etc., etc. It's a footnote in the media guide that Zavier makes fun of!

Again, in reflection, I think the survey was making one general statement "we are going to make upgrades sooner rather than later" and was asking one general question "what are you willing to pay".
Mad Props to N2663R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Angry John (03-04-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 02:15 PM
Captain

I do believe that with some of our fans (The Plants) the priority list goes as follows: 1. The First Four. 2. Playing in the NCAA Tournament. 3. Who cares about the NIT. In reality it should be: 1. NCAA Tournament 2. Way behind is the NIT. 3. The First Four. We need to worry first about our team and then comes the First Four.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:19 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,713 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Don't forget A10 championships. #1 will certainly follow if we win the A10.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:22 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,409 Times in 577 Posts
anthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Yes, I was aware of that too, all I can tell you is that for the past several years, when I have gone to the NCAAT, some of the arenas have not been sold out.

Huge places like the Georgia Dome, like for rounds 3 and 4, in my experience, have always had a ton of empty seats in the upper sections.

Maybe those team allocations were not selling out for certain teams?

You can sometimes buy tix from fans of teams that lost, either outside the arena or from fans walking the concourse wearing the gear of teams that lost. And conversely you can sometimes sell your unwanted tix, if your team lost, to fans of teams that won.
Tix here in Denver sold out real quick. They also sold out real quick 5 yrs ago too. And I wouldn't call Denver a college basketball mecca by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:15 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by anthonycharles View Post
Tix here in Denver sold out real quick. They also sold out real quick 5 yrs ago too. And I wouldn't call Denver a college basketball mecca by any stretch of the imagination.
Odd. I doubt theres anything within 200 miles of any college significance outside of the Buffaloes. Hell, i'd say the Broncos (for sure), the Avalanche and maybe even the Rockies outpace the Nuggets in fan support. That is shocking to me.

But then again if i lived in Denver i'd be shocked to learn that Dayton is the nucleus of the college basketball universe
Old 03-04-2016, 10:44 PM
Lieutenant General

C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 View Post
Odd. I doubt theres anything within 200 miles of any college significance outside of the Buffaloes. Hell, i'd say the Broncos (for sure), the Avalanche and maybe even the Rockies outpace the Nuggets in fan support. That is shocking to me.

But then again if i lived in Denver i'd be shocked to learn that Dayton is the nucleus of the college basketball universe
Never doubt the power of scalpers buying up the tickets to try and make a profit.
Figgie123 (03-05-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 10:53 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Things i would rather do then watch Dayton in another NIT:

1. Vote for the HILdebeast or the Bernster
2. Call screen a Lucy Liu phone call.
3. Marry
4. Put Ketchup on a Filet Mignon
5. Never go in another Red Lobster
6. Write a Research paper

I digress. I hate the NIT. If it were up to me i'd turn down NIT invites. I'd rather get blown out by 30 in the NCAA First Round then mow through the NIT field
Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-04-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 10:56 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 View Post
Things i would rather do then watch Dayton in another NIT:

1. Vote for the HILdebeast or the Bernster
2. Call screen a Lucy Liu phone call.
3. Marry
4. Put Ketchup on a Filet Mignon
5. Never go in another Red Lobster
6. Write a Research paper

I digress. I hate the NIT. If it were up to me i'd turn down NIT invites. I'd rather get blown out by 30 in the NCAA First Round then mow through the NIT field
Seconded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2016, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
Maybe they are doing this in order to force more people to buy all-session tickets. Seems that buying tickets just for your desired session might be more difficult than buying the more expensive all-session tickets.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:22 PM

shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Oklahoma didn't sell their allotment in Columbus. I, as well as others, that needed some last minute tickets purchased at face value from Oklahoma's athletic office. The link wasn't public, as it was word of mouth through UD in order for UD to boost UD fans in the seats...but in the event that the seats are cut short, there are ways around it.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:00 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
Oklahoma didn't sell their allotment in Columbus. I, as well as others, that needed some last minute tickets purchased at face value from Oklahoma's athletic office. The link wasn't public, as it was word of mouth through UD in order for UD to boost UD fans in the seats...but in the event that the seats are cut short, there are ways around it.
Stop giving out secrets!!!!!!! That's how I got mine too, and we don't need anybody else competing with us for those tickets.
bigudfan (03-09-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by C-time View Post
Stop giving out secrets!!!!!!! That's how I got mine too, and we don't need anybody else competing with us for those tickets.
Still gotta know who to contact for that info!!!!
Old 03-10-2016, 08:53 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,413 Times in 670 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
Magically when we played them in the second round, those tickets were nowhere to be found. It was still a great deal to watch us beat up on Providence, though.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:39 AM
Colonel

MikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant future
Column in today's The Columbus Dispatch: Value City Arena's size a problem for Ohio State by Bob Hunter.

The fact Columbus has two approximately 19,000 seat arenas has been an on-going discussion from conception through today and, to me, it just seems insane. But I guess that's what you get when two groups each want their way and aren't excited to work together. Anyway, I just thought it was interesting and somewhat related to the discussions here about the pros and cons of building a new, significantly larger arena if that were an option.

Anecdotally, the long-time OSU fans I know lament the change from St. John Arena to Value City Arena, almost universally claiming the new place is too big, too corporate, too stale, and just too blah compared to the old place. I know part of that is likely due to the constant pull of nostalgia, but having been to Value City Arena a number of times I think it's completely unlike the average game at UD Arena, yet alone a buzzing game like senior night versus VCU.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:01 PM
Lieutenant General

Whatever UD does for the renovation I demand that they add the projection device they used on the court at the Final 4 tonight and many NBA teams have.

Here is an example from the Cavs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsZrywjPIb0
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
Chris R (04-03-2016), fuz_forward (04-04-2016), Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-02-2016), Ready Action (04-03-2016), runnerup (04-03-2016), ud2 (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 02:22 PM
Captain

What are the top 3 needs of AM? What does he need to be successful at Dayton? What is he telling UD ... that he wants ... so he can succeed at UD?

Is a renovated Arena one of them?

Of course an Arena with some new bell and whistles WILL be of benefit to AM. But will a $10M be all that is needed? Less than $50M?

What does AM need?
Old 04-03-2016, 04:10 PM
Major

FlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to behold
Two very talented big men and a sharpshooter
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerinChicago For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bat'71 (04-03-2016), flyerfanatic86 (04-04-2016), jack72 (04-03-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 08:21 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,043 Times in 451 Posts
Whacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond repute
He's good to go then.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:40 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
Much more focus on professional arenas/stadiums, but this article is a good read on some of the things that franchises are doing with stadium design. It's quite the arms race. A college basketball arena is of course not the same as an NBA arena which will be used for 41-plus games a year, but some of the elements will be relevant.

I really really like the atmosphere at UD Arena, and whatever is done, I hope it maintains the intimacy and crowd involvement. I've not attended a game at Oracle, but I've been in and around the arena, and it has more of a "college" feel but with more of the bells and whistles. I'm glad to hear the new Warriors arena is hoping to maintain that feel, and I trust UD will as well. Anyway, I thought the article was interesting and at least semi-relevant.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2016, 07:54 PM

College vs civic...

Big civic arenas are almost invariably used for ice hockey. Since ice rinks are very much larger than BB courts, such multi-ude designs require that the seating be much farther from the court when used for BB than is the case with a BB-specific design.

A feature that greatly benefits UD Arena is that it has a large seating capacity (~ 13000+) combined with a BB-specific design...with the result that fans are much closer to the floor than is the case with a multi-purpose arenas having about the same or somewhat larger seating capacity.

That makes for a significantly different game atmosphere. UD has a jewel. I'm confident they won't screw it up.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:30 AM
Captain

I talked to a UD BB players father last night. He said he loved UD arena because the place is always packed, loud and how close the fans are from the action. AND he said there is a current college building a smaller basketball arena ... and he could see a future trend in smaller buildings so fans are right on the action. Any one know of the college building the new smaller basketball building?
skip69 (04-19-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 11:49 AM

Thanked 10,128 Times in 5,864 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
I talked to a UD BB players father last night. He said he loved UD arena because the place is always packed, loud and how close the fans are from the action. AND he said there is a current college building a smaller basketball arena ... and he could see a future trend in smaller buildings so fans are right on the action. Any one know of the college building the new smaller basketball building?
Richmond comes to mind. Robins Center seats 7,201 with luxury boxes. Built in 1972, but updated lately to the point it looks brand new. Not a bad seat in the house, and close to the action. Too bad they cannot fill it. Duke appears to have made the small arena decision, but they are an aberration with their mega funds.

Small arenas for schools like UD, who almost sell out, not only means doubling the price of tickets and fees, but less people get to see the games.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (04-17-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 07:40 AM

I had a dream last night that I was at the Arena for the home opener for next season...a beer cost me $9.25....hopefully that isn't in the forecast...lol
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
TerryK_67 (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 08:54 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
Smile My UD Education

has taught me that one must be either rich or stupid to drink beer at UD Arena prices.
Mad Props to Alberto Strasse For This Totally Excellent Post:
bigudfan (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 09:18 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
I believe UMBC (Maryland Baltimore County) is building a new arena. But, they are in a 1-bid league and the size they are going for is the size they would fill.

UMBC was supposed to break ground in February 2016. 5,000 seats, multi-purpose.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:25 AM

A 20oz bottle of soda at Scottrade Center was $5.50. You can buy the same bottle in a pack of 8 at the supermarket for $4.99 which is way less than a buck each. Scottrade is almost certainly buying in massive bulk and doing even better than that. Probably around 50c a bottle or less.

1000% markup. And they wonder why we try to sneak in snacks and hydration. They wear ski masks and gloves at the concession stand.

2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
1in25 (04-18-2016), FlyerinChicago (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 09:26 AM

And these are volunteers working the concessions...wait until everyone is making $15/hr and see how much a beer or Coke costs you.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:27 AM
Major

bigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse View Post
has taught me that one must be either rich or stupid to drink beer at UD Arena prices.
Chalk up for 1 for stupid!!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to bigudfan For This Totally Excellent Post:
mikeymo85 (04-18-2016), superfan99 (04-18-2016)
Old 02-09-2017, 04:14 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Dredged Up From the UD Arena Basement

It has been a little over a year since this thread was initiated.

So has anyone heard anything about the survey results and if possible project plans have materialized?
Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 04:23 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NJFlyr71 View Post
It has been a little over a year since this thread was initiated.

So has anyone heard anything about the survey results and if possible project plans have materialized?
There is some info on Pride+.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:02 PM
Major

superfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
There is some info on Pride+.
How is it decided what information is only for Pride+ and what information is suitable for us peasants?

Serious question, not trying to be a wise guy.