UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Poll Results: There's contact between jumpers during a jump ball...
a) Clock hasn't started, not team control...no call. 5 31.25%
b) Dead ball fouls by definition are automatic Technical Fouls. 0 0%
c) Ball is live...common foul on white jumper. 10 62.50%
d) Live or dead doesn't matter, clock not running so it's an Intentional Foul 0 0%
e) Dead ball...clock not running...common foul on jumper and admiinistrative Tech on White team 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2017, 08:24 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
You Make the Call! - Foul (or not) during a jump ball

I reffed a scrimmage yesterday and this happened. YOU MAKE THE CALL!!

Both teams are lined up for a jump ball to start the game. Blue is going to the left...White is going to the right. Everyone is stationary and watching the ball.

The official tosses the ball high, and both players leap. The white jumper extends their right arm up and at the same time extends their left arm out, making contact with and interfering with the blue jumper's ability to control the tap. White wins the tap...

You're the ref...you make the call!!!

FYI: During the jump, there is no 'team' control and the clock doesn't start until the ball is tapped. So what we have here is contact before the clock starts.

Again...You're the ref...YOU make the call!!!
Old 11-16-2017, 09:08 AM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Live ball when it leaves the officials hands regardless of clock running or not.

Common foul...
Old 11-16-2017, 09:58 AM
Major

TheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
Live ball when it leaves the officials hands regardless of clock running or not.

Common foul...
Yup, blue's ball out of bounds.

I suppose my question past that would be, would white have "won the tip" while committing the foul, so would blue have the ball AND the possession arrow? Or does white forfeit the tip there with the foul and get the possession arrow? Not sure what the rule is, but I would lean towards the former. Give blue the ball and the arrow.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:52 AM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TheDuke2003 View Post

I suppose my question past that would be, would white have "won the tip" while committing the foul, so would blue have the ball AND the possession arrow? Or does white forfeit the tip there with the foul and get the possession arrow? Not sure what the rule is, but I would lean towards the former. Give blue the ball and the arrow.
Great question but I would disagree with your result. I think it would be considered that Blue won the tip(due to a foul) and that white gets possession arrow(good for them) and one of their big men is saddled with a foul(bad for them) and Blue is one step closer to the bonus(bad again for white).

Reason being only the loser of a tip can get possession arrow and since the play is dead as soon as foul, white did not win the tip, blue did via foul.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (11-16-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 10:59 AM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TheDuke2003 View Post

Because the foul occurred before either team established control, it doesn't matter who gets possession off the tip.

In this case, the foul on WHITE means BLUE ball and the next possession goes to WHITE. Last year I had a violation (not a foul) during the jump and we had to huddle to get everything clear and, then, communicated to the coaches and official scorer.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:53 AM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Because the foul occurred before either team established control, it doesn't matter who gets possession off the tip.

In this case, the foul on WHITE means BLUE ball and the next possession goes to WHITE. Last year I had a violation (not a foul) during the jump and we had to huddle to get everything clear and, then, communicated to the coaches and official scorer.
Couldn't you have just quoted my post and said "Great evaluation new King."
Old 11-16-2017, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
Couldn't you have just quoted my post and said "Great evaluation new King."
Old 11-16-2017, 12:41 PM
General

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNOa5Uvjpwo