Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Starters for Thursday

The Game Notes from daytonflyers.com has the following probable starters listed. Pretty much the consensus but does answer the Charles Little question and maintains London as PG

London
Marcus
Wright
Little
Huelsman

http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/auto_pd...amenotes110508

I like the lineup.
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 3,138 Times in 795 Posts
John C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond repute
I would bet my house that we won't see that lineup 10 games into the season. It would be the house that I can't seem to sell in Columbus. The house I now refer to as my winter home.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Major

LebronJames is a glorious beacon of lightLebronJames is a glorious beacon of lightLebronJames is a glorious beacon of lightLebronJames is a glorious beacon of lightLebronJames is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by John C. View Post
I would bet my house that we won't see that lineup 10 games into the season. It would be the house that I can't seem to sell in Columbus. The house I now refer to as my winter home.
John,
What do you see changing 10 games into the season?
I'll be graduating in May, is the house affordable?
Old 11-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Captain

GetFlyeredup is infamous around these partsGetFlyeredup is infamous around these parts
Agreed, this was always going to be the lineup for the 1st preseason game. Go with experience at the beginning but start the most talented group as the season progresses. I look forward to seeing what Lowery and the freshman can do.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:46 PM

Binnie Bombs 33 is on a distinguished road
That was the consensus on the board last year ... and it never changed from Binnie and Huelsman.

But I would put a 6 pack that at least one of those people change by Jan. 1.

Whether is be Lowery or Searcy or whoever.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:56 PM
Major

UDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these parts
I think there could be a couple of changes. We could see a couple of different starting line-ups around Jan 1st.

PG- Lowery
SG-Johnson
SF-Wright
PF-Little
C-Hulesman

PG-Lowery
SG-Williams
SF-Marcus Johnson
PF-Wright
C-Hulesman

PG-Lowery
SG-Chris Johnson-Perry
SF-Marcus Johnson
PF-Wright
C-Searcy

You get the point.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:33 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I guess I'm the contrarian on this thread. I don't see BG pulling his 3 juniors and one senior out of the starting lineup. Now, that could mean some subs end up playing more minutes than the starter at some positions. Of course I think we all are leaving CW out of this discussion.

Still ringing in my ears, "No way Warren starts ahead of Lowery". Guess what.

BG will give his veteran players the job of getting the game under control much like he did with Mark Jones so the rookie mistakes don't kill us from the git-go. Then come with the rookies that are high energy, good defense, capable shooters---again maybe to play more minutes than a starter.

We know some starter will pick up 2 quick fouls almost every game. Then here comes the bench and hopefully an opportunity.

Barring foul trouble, I also think those five will finish the tight games except for Little due to ft shooting.

I believe Gregory will do everything in his power to set his Juniors up for a super senior season, and that means not giving up on them by putting them on the pine.

2 cents
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CraSch (11-06-2008), daytonflyers (11-06-2008), IAFlyer (11-06-2008), rollo (11-06-2008), UDEE79 (11-05-2008)
Old 11-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Colonel

Gilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud of
That starting lineup surprises me. I do think those are our best players right now, but who is going to shoot a 3-pter in that line-up? If those are the starters, we will need to bring shooters off the bench in a hurry. That's why I was convinced Lowrey, Williams or even Perry or C Johnson would start. The more I think about it, I like thought of:
Huelsman
Wright
C Johnson
M Johnson
Lowrey

Or

Huelsman
Wright
M Johnson
Williams
Lowrey
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gilchrist's Autograph 2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
IAFlyer (11-06-2008), John C. (11-06-2008)
Old 11-06-2008, 02:01 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,764 Times in 929 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
this is an exhibition game everyone. who's to say that lowery doesn't outplay warren in these two games and gets the starting nod come wofford?
Old 11-06-2008, 06:28 AM

John R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
this is an exhibition game everyone. who's to say that lowery doesn't outplay warren in these two games and gets the starting nod come wofford?
Who knows? Thats one of the reasons why they play these exhibition games.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Captain

hessbz12 is just really nicehessbz12 is just really nicehessbz12 is just really nicehessbz12 is just really nice
As much as BG subs, it's not always the starters that make the difference. I'm sure since this is the first exhibition game, BG is going with experience over anything. I expect a lot of people to see minutes tonight and I bet things could change with the starters as we get into the season. The only thing that worries me about this lineup is the lack of shooters.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:05 AM
General

Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
If you take the presumptive starter like LW and put him on the bench from game 1 it's a major dissention hazard. Start LW for the first 2 exhibitions, maybe the first 2-3 regular season games, and then it's obvious to the team who the starters should be. The guys on the bench cannot blame the coach and the amount of dissention with the coach is minimized.

I can't see KH ever not starting a game in his UD career for any reason except suspension or injury. I could be wrong, of course, but IMO he's our starting center and will be for the next 60 games or so.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Fudd (11-06-2008), IAFlyer (11-06-2008), San Diego Flyer (11-06-2008)
Old 11-06-2008, 09:10 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Time to look at history of the last 4 years.

Opening day lineup class composition (how many games)
2004 - 1 SR, 2JR, 1SO, 1FR - 3 games
2005 - 1 SR, 1JR, 3SO - 2 games
2006 - 1 SR, 1JR, 1SO, 2FR - 16 of 17 games (Binnie in for 1 game)
2007 - 2 SR, 2SO, 1FR - 10 games
2008 - 1 SR, 3 JR, 1 SO (exhibition projection)

Yearly lineups (how many games per lineup)
2004 - 5 lineups (14, 10, 3, 1x2)
2005 - 12 lineups ( 6, 5, 3x4, 2x1, 1x5)
2006 - 4 lineups (16, 8, 6, 1)
2007 - 4 lineups (22, 10, 1x2)

Based on the last 2 years, I figure there will be 2 or 3 major lineups, with 1 or 2 spares to play things out. I think London (Lowery, Perry), Little (Perry, CJohnson, Fabrizus) and Huelsman (Searcy) are the 3 players that will be shaken around. Wright and Johnson, I figure, are starters for the entire year.

Figgie

Last edited by Figgie123; 11-06-2008 at 09:17 AM..
9 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Beerman (11-06-2008), Chris R (11-06-2008), Fudd (11-06-2008), Gazoo (11-06-2008), IAFlyer (11-06-2008), NorthwestFlyer (11-06-2008), rmdflyers (11-06-2008), rollo (11-06-2008), UD Sam (11-07-2008)
Old 11-06-2008, 12:15 PM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
Time to look at history of the last 4 years.

Opening day lineup class composition (how many games)
2004 - 1 SR, 2JR, 1SO, 1FR - 3 games
2005 - 1 SR, 1JR, 3SO - 2 games
2006 - 1 SR, 1JR, 1SO, 2FR - 16 of 17 games (Binnie in for 1 game)
2007 - 2 SR, 2SO, 1FR - 10 games
2008 - 1 SR, 3 JR, 1 SO (exhibition projection)

Yearly lineups (how many games per lineup)
2004 - 5 lineups (14, 10, 3, 1x2)
2005 - 12 lineups ( 6, 5, 3x4, 2x1, 1x5)
2006 - 4 lineups (16, 8, 6, 1)
2007 - 4 lineups (22, 10, 1x2)

Based on the last 2 years, I figure there will be 2 or 3 major lineups, with 1 or 2 spares to play things out. I think London (Lowery, Perry), Little (Perry, CJohnson, Fabrizus) and Huelsman (Searcy) are the 3 players that will be shaken around. Wright and Johnson, I figure, are starters for the entire year.

Figgie

That looks like it was a ridiculous amount of work--thanks
Old 11-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,020 Times in 479 Posts
Flyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant future
I know that for CW's pro prospects, it's important for him to play the three. But given our embarassment of riches at the shooting guard and wing spots, i'm really hoping to see a lot of CW at the four. This lineup intrigues me:

PG-Lowery
SG-Marcus Johnson
SF-Chris Johnson
PF-Wright
C-Searcy

We would be smaller at the three spot, but unbelievably athletic, with three guys on the court who can bury the three. Not to mention some pretty great rebounders in Wright and MJ, while not giving up much defensively. Not sure how Lowery and CJ will rebound at this level, or if Searcy can bump up his production. But the potential of this lineup is deadly. Swapping in Little, Perry, and Williams into this lineup would be great to see too.

I agree that KH will be starting for the foreseeable future, but if we actually run like people are saying we're going to run, i'm not sure he's going to be able to provide as much help on either end as he has in the past. The pace may be too much for him. We'll see if the Flyers really change their stripes this year or not. I'm excited by the prospects though.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
Smile I Like the Lineup

I agree with the starting lineup for the following reasons.

1. The person with authority to decide who starts should be paid by UD to make the decision.
2. The starting lineup gives UD the best combination of experience and defensive ability.
3. The new, young talent will be given a chance to get their "arena legs" under them before
called upon to excell.

I disagree with John. I hope the UD Flyers are so successful in their first 10 games and so injury free that no changes are deemed necessary by the brain trust who gets paid to make those decisions.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:32 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
That looks like it was a ridiculous amount of work--thanks
No problem. I've just got some mad skills....database and programming skills that is. I had put this together earlier this summer, but never had a good time or place to post it, and as we started talking about it here, it seemed like a proper place to put it.

I thought the one interesting thing was the amount of different starting lineups in 2005. Trying to flesh out who was good to start, who wasn't, who was behaving as an individual, and who was going to stay for all of their college career.

Then in 2006 and 2007, you have a pretty stable starting lineup for the year. Last year it got changed because of Wright's injury, otherwise, the initial starting 5 may have gone way longer than just the first 10 games. In 2006, Monty Scott got injured, so that threw a small wrench in.

One of these days I will put together my gameplay parser and do a hockey-shift-line perspective on things from a +/- perspective. I know someone did a +/- for individuals last year (minus Miami, of course), but I wanted to see how combinations of players did together. For example, does Marcus score more points per minute when he's on the floor with or without Roberts.

--Figgie
Old 11-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Colonel

Gilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud of
[QUOTE=Flyer'95;72215]I know that for CW's pro prospects, it's important for him to play the three. But given our embarassment of riches at the shooting guard and wing spots, i'm really hoping to see a lot of CW at the four. This lineup intrigues me:

PG-Lowery
SG-Marcus Johnson
SF-Chris Johnson
PF-Wright
C-Searcy

We would be smaller at the three spot, but unbelievably athletic, with three guys on the court who can bury the three. Not to mention some pretty great rebounders in Wright and MJ, while not giving up much defensively. Not sure how Lowery and CJ will rebound at this level, or if Searcy can bump up his production. But the potential of this lineup is deadly. Swapping in Little, Perry, and Williams into this lineup would be great to see too.

I agree that KH will be starting for the foreseeable future, but if we actually run like people are saying we're going to run, i'm not sure he's going to be able to provide as much help on either end as he has in the past. The pace may be too much for him. We'll see if the Flyers really change their stripes this year or not. I'm excited by the prospects though.[/QUOTE

I like that combination a lot! And after seeing the Red-Blue game, you can rest assured that CJ will be a tremendous rebounder. I've been thinking CW at the 4 as well. Otherwise, some of your best players and best shooters are very limited in minutes (PW, MP, CJ). I'd love to see Wright develop a nice 3-pt shot, but if not - put him at the 4.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:01 PM
General

Originally Posted by Flyer'95 View Post
I know that for CW's pro prospects, it's important for him to play the three. But given our embarassment of riches at the shooting guard and wing spots, i'm really hoping to see a lot of CW at the four. This lineup intrigues me:

PG-Lowery
SG-Marcus Johnson
SF-Chris Johnson
PF-Wright
C-Searcy

I agree that KH will be starting for the foreseeable future, but if we actually run like people are saying we'r e going to run, i'm not sure he's going to be able to provide as much help on either end as he has in the past. The pace may be too much for him. We'll see if the Flyers really change their stripes this year or not. I'm excited by the prospects though.
I think we'll see that lineup a lot, with Searcy / KH interchangable. Neither will score many points in this lineup but both will be extremely important plugging the middle and dragging the other team's big man down the court for a few wind sprints. Even if they never score they've got to run like heck down the floor, wear out the other guy, and get to the bench for a break.

But remember, BG isn't huge on throwing the ball into the post. He never has been. The only way DS / KH touch the ball with that lineup is if they get an o-rebound or steal it from one of the guards.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Wright seems good at either the 3 or 4. In college he is certainly big enough to play the 4 especially after beefing up a bit since last season and adding a little height. I think BG is thinking developing long term skills for CW. I think the thinking was that he would make an incredible 3 in the NBA if he develops a good outside shot. So I would expect he may prefer developing his skills as a 3. However, he is looking bigger and may be able to handle the inside oriented game as a PF at the next level.

I think we will see a 50/50 split at the 3 and 4 positions for Wright. First of all because he is an NBA prospect as mentioned above. However, without Benson, we will need another 4 since that pretty much falls on Little at this point and he doesn't have a history of getting too much more than 25 minutes a game, so we will need CW to fill in at the 4 for Little and the Flyers will go mainly with a 3ish guard set. I think CJ and MJ seem like the most likely candidates to fill in at the 3, but Fabrizius may get his time there instead of the at the 4 this year. Little will probably be pulled after his first foul.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:19 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Binnie Bombs 33 View Post
That was the consensus on the board last year ... and it never changed from Binnie and Huelsman.

But I would put a 6 pack that at least one of those people change by Jan. 1.

Whether is be Lowery or Searcy or whoever.
I would take that bet providing the reason for change is that the sub won the job on performance, and not injury or grades.

One reason I lean so heavily toward this starting lineup is that the coach has an affinity for upperclassmen, not unusual in the trade. As such a newcomer has to be significantly better to "knock out the champ". In short it's not a level playing field, but that's nothing new in the business.

Last edited by San Diego Flyer; 11-06-2008 at 05:32 PM..
Old 11-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Major

UDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these parts
If ANY Freshman starts, it's going to be Paul Williams.