UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-05-2017, 08:29 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Cunningham's Impact?

First, Josh just being in a uniform is a tribute to this man's work ethic and commitment to trueteam. He's got my admiration and nothing will change in that regard. All that said, I hope he takes a big step forward during the A10 tourney in his contribution and a bigger step forward to getting back to the player we saw in Europe this past summer and in the first two games of the year. I see a lot of rust from his time off. We are going to need him to clean that up if at all possible. I think he might be one of the biggest keys to how this team finishes this season. Ironically, different circumstances, but similar situation 4 years ago. It was Kendal and Scoochie's steps forward during this time of year that helped make the Elite Eight run. I hope they also step up their leadership and help Josh take those big steps forward to getting back to playing at a high level.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bob G (03-06-2017), Bonziflyer (03-05-2017), BRob2Perryman3 (03-05-2017), Flyer 86 (03-05-2017), Runnin' Rebel (03-05-2017)
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2017, 08:52 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
Well said. I was furious last night when the GW player's fake hustle took out Josh's leg from behind. That could have been really really bad when his weight landed on Josh's lower leg. Luckily I think it was more his knee banging into the court that was the worst.

Josh is probably our best player for next season. Xeyrius and he ought to provide a nice complement to each other from our frontcourt.

The 6 days off will help everyone, especially Josh. There's no substitute for game minutes, though, and he has played a bunch of big minutes the last two games. We have been able to get Josh and Kendall on the court at the same time for some valuable experience. Josh totally missed one switch on a semi-break that led to a wide open perimeter shot in the second half. Was also slow to rotate over on Cavanaugh late in the first half which led to an open corner 3. He'll get better, but right now, his rotations are not quite there on D. But he's our only wide body right now, and we will really need him, especially against the potential matchups of Hassan Martin and Mo Alie-Cox in the A10 tourney.

Josh is a really really good player and has a week or so to get up to as close to full speed as he can. He works his butt off so he will be as ready as possible come Friday.

A bunch of our players described him as a "beast" in the preseason. He showed a few glimpses of that in the last couple games. We could use it!
Posted via Mobile Device
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to THirt For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-05-2017), BRob2Perryman3 (03-05-2017), Flyer 86 (03-05-2017), Wallage (03-05-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 09:24 AM
1st Lieutenant

Wallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant future
I thought Josh showed some good signs rebounding last night. That's the most important thing he can do for this year's team.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Wallage For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-05-2017), BRob2Perryman3 (03-05-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 09:28 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
First, Josh just being in a uniform is a tribute to this man's work ethic and commitment to trueteam. He's got my admiration and nothing will change in that regard. All that said, I hope he takes a big step forward during the A10 tourney in his contribution and a bigger step forward to getting back to the player we saw in Europe this past summer and in the first two games of the year. I see a lot of rust from his time off. We are going to need him to clean that up if at all possible. I think he might be one of the biggest keys to how this team finishes this season. Ironically, different circumstances, but similar situation 4 years ago. It was Kendal and Scoochie's steps forward during this time of year that helped make the Elite Eight run. I hope they also step up their leadership and help Josh take those big steps forward to getting back to playing at a high level.
Finally.........nice too see someone isn't in meltdown mode.

Go Flyers!
#areyouthe6th
#Archie
#trueteam
#RoadtoPhoenix
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-05-2017), fuz_forward (03-06-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 09:29 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
wow....3 straight posts that aren't in full nuclear meltdown. My new favorite thread.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:34 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,078 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
I literally almost threw up when I saw the GW player land on Josh's leg; looks like he was OK thank God. I see more and more of the Josh we saw first 2 games. But he hasn't played for 3 months; it's going to take a few more games at least to get back into the flow. My golf game goes to hell over the winter months - and that's just golf; imagine playing basketball at a high level NCAA! I think he'll be ok. And we'll definitely need whatever he can bring.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:56 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,133 Times in 5,867 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Josh has, and will, get better on his rotations on defense, and running the pace and passing of the offense. Josh still is not 100% physically, and will not be this year, but 90% of Josh is still better than some of the other guys that pretend to rebound.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-05-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 11:11 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,560 Times in 2,453 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
In his pregame radio interview with Larry, Archie said that we will not see the pre-injury Josh this year. Although he is 100% medically, he is athletically about 75% (I took that to mean his jumping ability,etc).
However, by just coming back this year, Josh surpassed what Archie thought he could do. So maybe he can improve on that 75%, but there's not much time.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-05-2017), C-time (03-05-2017), jack72 (03-05-2017), Wallage (03-05-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 12:37 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
In his pregame radio interview with Larry, Archie said that we will not see the pre-injury Josh this year. Although he is 100% medically, he is athletically about 75% (I took that to mean his jumping ability,etc).
However, by just coming back this year, Josh surpassed what Archie thought he could do. So maybe he can improve on that 75%, but there's not much time.
This is exactly the issue Josh is having right now. He simply isn't able to jump and accelerate at the level he was before the injury. It's not going to happen this season, but I will gladly take Josh playing at 75% over Sam.

Next season we will probably see the athletic and explosive Josh again.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:56 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
It's really difficult to miss most of a season and catch up. It's actually difficult even without an injury. I think Kavanaugh was a perfect example 3 years ago. After his expulsion for a season, we didn't see anything resembling the Matt Kavanaugh from 2 years prior. And he really wasn't much of a contributor until down the stretch and into the tournaments. I don't think Pierre ever got back to his consistent offensive game last season that we all hoped for. I think it's pretty simple. Teams usually improve as season moves along and while your opponents and own team are playing February or March mode, you are playing in November and December mode. Obviously Kavs was a different situation but a year off is a real setback too.

So while I don't expect will see a super smooth Cunningham until next season, he still brings us the muscle we need to allow us to play XW, KP and himself within the rotation and not worry as much about foul trouble and that's huge.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:33 PM
Captain

RamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud of
Josh definitely had some mental lapses last night. Those types of things will clean themselves up with a little time. You could really tell in last night's game that Josh is starting to get his legs back under him. He looked pretty explosive on a couple of his takes to the rim. He got up pretty high on a few of his rebounds as well. You would have to think that he will continue to improve.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:42 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Wallage View Post
I thought Josh showed some good signs rebounding last night. That's the most important thing he can do for this year's team.
Josh had 10 rebounds last night. Funny thing is 5 of them I believe were on one possession and resulted in one point total. I'll take Josh with 10 rebounds every time, just wish he's spread them out more and not have 4 of them on his own missed shots on one possession(the first was on a scoochie miss and then I believe he missed 4 straight times trying for the put back.

Last edited by Smitty10; 03-05-2017 at 01:44 PM..
Old 03-05-2017, 03:42 PM
General

Thanked 1,267 Times in 785 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Didn't see the game. And haven't seen anyone comment on Kendalls great shooting night and stats.

Looks like he had the best game.... And X MAN.

COMMENTS?
Old 03-05-2017, 03:49 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer 86 View Post
Didn't see the game. And haven't seen anyone comment on Kendalls great shooting night and stats.

COMMENTS?
Shooting stats don't always give a correct narrative of what happened. He missed some crucial FT's down the stretch and just didn't seem to be focused at all times last night.

Last edited by m21eagle45; 03-05-2017 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: auto correct fix
Old 03-05-2017, 03:56 PM
General

Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
Shooting stats don't always give a correct narrative of what happened. He missed some crucial FT's down the stretch and just didn't seemed to be focused at all times last night.
He's resorting back to the KP we've always known at the FT line. I don't understand it. The guy is one of the very best we've ever had at getting the FT line and then he finally starts hitting his FTs consistently to begin his season. Now he's back to what he was. You would think that a guy who is an expert at getting to the line would work his butt off everyday at the FT line until it becomes 2nd nature.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:05 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer 86 View Post

COMMENTS?
If we had won, KP and X would have won Rollo' poll. KP was the ONLY reason we were in the game in the first half. Then in the second half he was solid. X got hot from the 3 in the second half to cut the lead and get us back into it. I think he hit 3 in a row on 3 consecutive possessions. It was great for a sophomore to step up when the team needed someone to.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-05-2017), rollo (03-06-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 09:12 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,133 Times in 5,867 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Old habits die hard. Pollard is staring to place his hands incorrectly and get some of that sidespin.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:20 PM
1st Lieutenant

foolishpride is a jewel in the roughfoolishpride is a jewel in the roughfoolishpride is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Old habits die hard. Pollard is staring to place his hands incorrectly and get some of that sidespin.
I think his had positioning is fine. He gets in trouble when he starts flicking his left wrist a little, instead of just guiding the ball with it. Watch his left hand after the ball leaves his hands. It should be point upward, not forward.