» Advertisement
Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Here We Go; There We Went
Published by Swampy Meadows
03-29-2014

MEMPHIS (TN) -- “From the Swamp” is comin’ at ya from the Fabulous FedEx Forum, site of this afternoon’s Elite Eight Matchup between the University of Dayton Flyers and the Florida Gators. I’m assuming that on tonight’s TBS pre-game show Charles Barkley will not refer to UD as “this team” since he has managed to pick against the Red and Blue three times and is batting a reverse 100%. But I bet he still picks UF.

If Archie thought that the Stanford tilt was “a home game” for his squad, wait until he gets a load of the Red and Blue horde that has descended on Beale Street and has been consuming mass quantities of “Big Ass Beale Beer” for most of the afternoon. The assembled fans went nuts when Dr. Willie marched the pep band thru their midst and that was just the pre-game warm-up!

Right now, regardless of the outcome I am glad that I drove 12 hours to be here.

-- Larry Hansgen said the Flyers “have a puncher’s chance.” That they do, Larry, that they do. After the National Anthem, Larry remained standing and took a few secs to absorb the whole scene. Unbelievable, ain’t it?

-- And the Dayton flags make an appearance!

-- While the Florida flags get booed!

-- It is loud in here. I’m seated next to a guy from the Miami Herald and I told him it’s like this at every Flyer home game—and this is a home game.

-- Devon Scott, Scoochie and Khari came over to shake Bucky’s hand. The Herald guy asked if they do that every game. Yup.

-- The announcer is making a point to over annunciate “Day-Ton.” Are you listening Alaa Abdelnaby?

-- Offensive board Kavs and he scores to make it 4-2 UF. Jordan 0-2 from deep. DP with the lefty layup. 7-4 Gators at the under 16 media TO.

-- Vee for two, then he gets whacked going to the rack. 7-7 after he splits the pair. He misses a runner at the rim and the score is 11-7 UF. DMO for three! Kyle Davis answer a Gator run with another triple. 17-13 Florida at the under 12.

-- The teams go 3+ minutes without a score until somehow UF gets 2 FTs on what was actually a jump ball. DMO for three! 19-16. Pierre gets fouled on a layup attempt at the under 8 media TO and makes ‘em both. 1 point game. Scoochie with a steal and then a three for the lead 21-19! He’s getting the minutes because Khari has 2 PF.

-- The Flyers are very well prepared for the Florida pressure on out-of-bounds plays. Say hello to former Billy Donavan assistant Tom Ostrom everybody! Pollard with layup and we’re tied. Nice idea by Dyshawn but Scott couldn’t handle the pick and roll dish. 24-23 at the 4 minute mark. UD shows the Gators some full-court pressure of their own on an inbounds play!

-- KP takes an ill-advised airball jumper that turns into a Florida triple at the other end. Gators up 8 as Archie takes a TO. UF up 10 and Vee will shoot the 1 and 1 and only gets 1. Scottie “Showboat” makes a three and dances off the floor. Florida by 14 at the break, after a 19-3 run.

That ended poorly.

-- The 2nd half starts as Mr. Miami Herald finishes booking his flight to Dallas. DMO for three and the steal! Dyshawn for three! 8 point game. Somewhere in Tampa Dickie V is yelling “Gotta get a TO Billy D!”

-- Patric Young with the O foul! UD has to burn a TO as they have trouble inbounding the ball. Kavs cans 2 FT and then fouls Casey Prather who hits 1 of 2. DMO misses his 2nd 3 in a row and it’s back to an 11 point bulge. Every shot UD has taken this half has been a triple and while 2 for 5 is nice, that ain’t gonna get it done.

-- Scoochie-coochie-coo for two. Kavs for two but UF by 13. Two more Gator hoops and Archie is forced to call time, down by 17. DMO stops the bleeding with a trey. Dyshawn with the floater and it is down to a 12 point contest but there are only 451 seconds left. “Let’s Go Flyers” drowns out the Gator pep band.

-- Pierre with the banked 3 and it’s now -10. A layup and it is -8. UF is shooting 25% this half but they are getting absolutely all of the offensive boards. A long DMO three misses and that is pretty much the ballgame, kids.

62-52 is your final.

Post Game

-- Rachel Nichols from TBS got first dibs on the locker room and it was a somber bunch of Flyers as you can imagine. Kevin Kuwik said they will get over it -– eventually. Vee Sanford admitted that “it doesn’t feel real yet. It probably won’t until I get home.” Kavs felt it was “unbelievable where they came from in January to here.”

-- Doug Hauschild said the team will arrive home in Dayton around 1:00 AM. There will be a Flyer Rally at the Arena at 6:00 PM on Sunday.

Be there.

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
By Chris R on 03-30-2014, 10:43 PM
The Wiblekin trey at the end of the half really hurt. Then the four offensive rebounds in a row late in the game and the Wiblekin three off the rebound sort of put the nail in the coffin.

If you want to beat #1 thats riding a 28 game winning streak with guys who are not matching Top-40/5-Star recruiting rankings tit-for-tat, then you need to be nearly perfect.

We werent. But were we Gator fans, we've have been telling ourselves there is NO way should lose to Dayton.
Comment

Article Tools