Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-20-2008, 01:39 PM
1st Lieutenant

bosoxrule is an unknown quantity at this point
We Need a New Scoreboard

I think the next renovation Dayton should make to the arena is a video scoreboard that can show instant replay. A lot of arenas have these, and they show replays and highlights during the media timeouts. With all the spectacular steals and dunks we will be seeing from our Flyers in the future, why not invest in one? There were some dunks that I wish I could have seen again last night, especially the Mickey Perry pass off the backboard to Chris Wright.
Mad Props to bosoxrule For This Totally Excellent Post:
El Hombre (11-21-2008)
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Colonel

smitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond repute
TK vs. TW

TK was asked about it last year at an alumni event in AC, but he said he wasn't going to raise ticket prices even more in order to cover the cost of it. Maybe TW will have other plans.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:45 PM
General

Thanked 4,319 Times in 2,123 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Put this in the same file as the posts about playing Wright State and Out of Conference Schedule.

If you haven't checked that file, the short answer is that the structural members of the arena will not support the weight of the video board, and the cost to make it work far outweighs what they think it would be worth.

W/ the wight of monitors/screens continuing to plummet, and I'm sure it eventually becomes a requirement to host NCAA games, I guess it will happen eventually, just don't look for it before Chris Wright graduates.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Captain

GetFlyeredup is infamous around these partsGetFlyeredup is infamous around these parts
If I'm remembering correctly we have discussed this in the past. I thought the reason for not getting a video board had to do with the structural design of the arena, in that it can not easily deal with the added weight of a video board. If it's only a matter of raising season ticket prices, I will gladly pay more.

EDIT: Dang Medford, you beat me to it.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:57 PM
1st Lieutenant

I'm not sure if it was TK that said it had to do with structural limitations or some poster figured that to be the case, but we have a pretty massive looking scoreboard hanging over center court now. As an alternative, they could put some on the corners of the arena (similar to how those little scoreboards that show current line up stats). I kind of feel like its a cop-out saying that it can't be done because of structural limitations. Cmon, UD has a good engineering school, they should be able to figure something out that would work. Speaking of Wright State, haven't they had a video scoreboard for quite some time?
Old 11-20-2008, 02:00 PM
Colonel

smitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond repute
Yes...

I think TK meant that the price increase would be quite significant due to structural improvements needed before purchasing the videoboard.

Last edited by smitch425; 11-20-2008 at 04:08 PM..
Old 11-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,094 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
not gonna happen unless a sponsor pays for them. Kissell made it clear he would not roll the cost into tickets, just as UD did not increase ticket prices with the Arena renovations which were paid for via the loge and luxury suites (voluntary tax so to speak).

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 11-20-2008, 02:36 PM
1st Lieutenant

Ok. I don't want to turn this into a "Kissell Sucks" thread, but maybe like Smitch said, the new AD will be able to find the money somewhere. It's just hard for me to believe that a place that sells 12000+ tickets a game (ranking in the top 25 for attendence year after year), not to mention the steep "luxury tax" it charges season ticket holders, and has all the sponsor opportunities of the southwest Ohio area, can't find a way to fund such a project.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
This isn't an argument for either side but just a thought.

As for the structural implications and the weight of the scoreboard, is it really going to be that much more weight? Just judging on the evolution of technology and items like TV's, everything seems to be getting lighter. I would think that the existing scoreboard may be heavier than it needs to be and a newer scoreboard would be around the same weight. I may be way off and of course, newer technology also means higher costs.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
I think TK meant that the price increse would be quite significant due to structural improvements needed before purchasing the videoboard.
The entire video system throughout the arena would have to be updated to a digital system. All the small tv's throughtout the building would have to be thrown out and new ones bought. New video cameras would have to be purchased.
I know it has been said by UD officials in the past that a center hanging jumbotron could not be installed because of the weight of the thing.
I don't know if that is still true today with the lighter plasma screens.
Either way as you said unless a donor steps forward and writes a huge check it is not in UD's plans.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:35 PM

sleepy will become famous soon enough
Does the NCAA allow replay to be shown during games? It seems to me that at football games like at Ohio State the jumbotron shows stats, cartoons and realtime video but, not replays. Does anybody know the rules? To me if there is no replay there is no point in investing in the technology.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:44 PM

Thanked 17,094 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
i dont believe you can show replays.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 11-20-2008, 03:50 PM
1st Lieutenant

I go to Purdue, but am from Dayton and had been going to UD games since I was a child (reason I'm on this message board). I go to every Purdue game also, and they do have a video screen hanging over center court. They do show replays during the game, and at the media time outs, they show highlights from the previous 4 minutes (or so) of play.

Another topic of upgrading for them however is the seating...wood benches with no backs for all the fans except for a hundred or so seats behind press row.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:05 PM
Captain

The Joint has a spectacular aura aboutThe Joint has a spectacular aura aboutThe Joint has a spectacular aura about
If you can't show replays, then a video board really adds no value. My least favorite thing about NBA games is the mandatory cheesy introduction video. Not worth the investment. If they have too much cash lying around, lower the beer prices.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:27 PM
1st Lieutenant

Originally Posted by The Joint View Post
If you can't show replays, then a video board really adds no value. My least favorite thing about NBA games is the mandatory cheesy introduction video. Not worth the investment. If they have too much cash lying around, lower the beer prices.
I agree that it would be dumb to have the video board if replay is not allowed, but there is no such rule. Schools probably won't show some controversial calls that cannot be reversed because they do not want to alienate the referees. There is nothing wrong with showing great plays or highlights.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:45 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,413 Times in 670 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bosoxrule View Post
I agree that it would be dumb to have the video board if replay is not allowed, but there is no such rule. Schools probably won't show some controversial calls that cannot be reversed because they do not want to alienate the referees. There is nothing wrong with showing great plays or highlights.
I think this is the case. I think they can show replays, but not controversial calls that might incite the crowd further.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:02 PM

ClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these parts
Slowly but surely UD is catching up to the 21st century, they are usually about 15 years behind.

Like the entrance song.

Eventually it will happen.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:13 PM
Colonel

swish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant future
I wouldn't want to replace that huge scoreboard we have now hanging in the middle of the arena with anything any heavier. The roof already collapsed once before.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:45 PM

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
2004 Renovation

Just a few years ago UD spent approximately $15 million to renovate the Arena complex, which now is one of the top college venues in the country having amenities that would be the envy of most Div 1 schools,....indeed, that are quite unusual for a privately owned on-campus facility.

If upgrading the scoreboard was financially feasible I believe an upgrade would have been included in the `04 renovation. For sure it's possible. But, most likely there are very good reasons why the scoreboard is not state-of-the-art.

The most impressive and most commonly used all-media scoreboard sytems are those that are suspended over center court and can be viewed from four sides. The structure has to be able to support such a system. Whether or not the Arena could I don't know. There may be another consideration. The Arena has an unusal "banana" shape, with the 400 seats high at the ends of the banana. Is it possible that sight lines from the upper portion of the "banana" would be obstructed by a center-hung scoreboard system? Those things are huge and the roof structure has to be strong enough and high enough so that the bottom of the scoreboard is sufiiciently high off the floor. Most likely such systems were not even dreamed of when the Arena was built in `69.

There are numerous reasons why the Arena has been selected to host so many NCAA events. Let's hope the day does not soon arrive when our lack of a state-of-the-art media system becomes a handicap when we bid for NCAA games.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:47 PM

AdamtheFlyer can only hope to improve
We have screens in all four corners of the arena. It really wouldn't cost much to turn those into HD video screens. You show stats during play, and commercials and replays during timeouts. You can even make them a few feet bigger to aid the blue hairs in watching them.

Start a donation pool: I've got $25.

Last edited by AdamtheFlyer; 11-20-2008 at 05:49 PM..
Old 11-20-2008, 11:34 PM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Can a tutorial of the search function be included in registering on Udpride?
Old 11-20-2008, 11:37 PM
Colonel

zmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by AdamtheFlyer View Post
We have screens in all four corners of the arena. It really wouldn't cost much to turn those into HD video screens. You show stats during play, and commercials and replays during timeouts. You can even make them a few feet bigger to aid the blue hairs in watching them.
Yeah, the lightbrite boards in the corners are starting to look a little pathetic.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:48 PM

ClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these parts
The 4 sides can easily be replaced with HD Style Screens without collapsing the arena roof.

Once again, UD will catch up with technology and made the change soon, its cut-off point is nearing. And one-day they will come out to a new song.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:49 PM
Colonel

Levelbest has much to be proud ofLevelbest has much to be proud ofLevelbest has much to be proud ofLevelbest has much to be proud ofLevelbest has much to be proud ofLevelbest has much to be proud ofLevelbest has much to be proud ofLevelbest has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by zmz723 View Post
Yeah, the lightbrite boards in the corners are starting to look a little pathetic.
LiteBrite - funny stuff and appropriate. Honestly, I have to agree. At least swap out one of the boards on each side of the arena to be true video capable.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:05 AM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
Let's hope the day does not soon arrive when our lack of a state-of-the-art media system becomes a handicap when we bid for NCAA games.
I think this will happen sooner than we all would like. Too many state of the art arenas are coming online in this region of the country for the NCAA to continue to take a bid from UD as being serious. NKU (metro Cincy) has a new arena and Louisville’s new arena will open in a year. Throw in all of the other arenas in the area like Schottenstein, Rupp, Conseco, 5/3rd and others, how can UD continue to compete when you know these facilities are going to go after a piece of the NCAA pie. Heck I’m surprised the Nutter Center has never put a bid in. UD has a great relationship with the NCAA regarding hosting tourney games, but the NCAA is all about money.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:08 AM

AdamtheFlyer can only hope to improve
If UD loses the NCAAs, it won't be because of a video board, it'll be because of seating capacity. The NCAA is heading toward 70,000 seat Final Fours, which will turn the Regionals to 30,000 seats, and could turn the first/second round to 20,000 seat venues full time.

March Madness is just outgrowing 13,000 seat venues. It may stink for us locals, but it's good for the game.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to AdamtheFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Levelbest (11-21-2008), longtimefan (11-21-2008)
Old 11-21-2008, 02:27 AM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
If UD loses the NCAAs, it won't be because of a video board, it'll be because of seating capacity. The NCAA is heading toward 70,000 seat Final Fours, which will turn the Regionals to 30,000 seats, and could turn the first/second round to 20,000 seat venues full time.

March Madness is just outgrowing 13,000 seat venues. It may stink for us locals, but it's good for the game.
I agree 100%.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:40 AM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by swish61 View Post
I wouldn't want to replace that huge scoreboard we have now hanging in the middle of the arena with anything any heavier. The roof already collapsed once before.
Swish - I heard a story about that happening when the arena was under construction. Do you know about that?
Old 11-21-2008, 07:38 AM
Academy Doolie

Ferdy Fussbudget has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Originally Posted by NorthwestFlyer View Post
Swish - I heard a story about that happening when the arena was under construction. Do you know about that?
As I recall, it was not a design problem. I believe the erectors did not provide adequate bridging and shoring during the erection process and the main roof trusses essentially toppled. It happened about this time of year in this kind of wintry wind.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:51 AM
1st Lieutenant

mlekan will become famous soon enoughmlekan will become famous soon enough
The Decider

Just so everybody is clear...

Installing video boards has NOTHING to do with weight/structure limitations. They have been shot down repeatedly by the current AD due to his contention that the ad revenue would never pay for the up-front cost.

(I have disagreed with this profusely, but must defer to their decisions, as I have no experience in ad sales and college athletics - but have some concept of structures. Just find it hard to believe...or at least did until National City croaked and most other local businesses are swept up in the current financial sh!tstorm.)

There was money put into the scorer's table and baseline graphic boards, which were relatively state-of-the-art at the time of installation. But hey, we are measured against our peers, and there are 4 big video boards hanging in the gym down in Norwood. Just saying...
Old 11-21-2008, 09:31 AM

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Talking I must be in the minority because....

...I don't see the need for a video board.

At Reds games, where the action is S.....L.....O.....W....., a video board is great. At bengals games, where the action is nap-worthy, I see the need for video boards. But at basketball games, where action is plenty and time-outs are few (relative to NFL and MLB), the cost/benefit just isn't there.

REMINDER: I'm over 40 and wasn't raised in the era of having to be stimulated 24/7 and have been to NBA games where the noise is non-stop and nothing short of annoying. When that group makes up the majority of the lower bowl, it may be time to install the boards.

Last edited by rollo; 11-21-2008 at 09:33 AM..
Old 11-21-2008, 10:14 AM
Colonel

swish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by NorthwestFlyer View Post
The roof collapsed when the arena was under construction. As I remember, it happened late in the evening, or sometime overnight, so noone was hurt.
The roof wasn't fully supported yet as construction wasn't complete, and we had a heavy snow, and the weight caused the collapse.
That's how I remember it happening. Does anyone else have a better memory, of this? Or am I pretty accurate?
Old 11-21-2008, 10:31 AM

Roll they could do more than just highlights.

They can do those kiss cams, games for the kids like the mexican hat dance. Have the players talk to you during the games, music stuff. Highlights are just a plus.

It is time for UD Bball to adapt to a changing world, they have done a great job in terms of posters and things like that. But those video boards look like they should be in a top 5 program's HighSchool gym.

4 HD Boards, Crap 2 HD Boards ... 2 for the next 2 or 3 years then purchase the other two. It can be done and should be done. UD Bball over the past couple years has turned into being all about the money. If they WIN on the court, the money will flow in!
Old 11-21-2008, 10:32 AM

shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
and could turn the first/second round to 20,000 seat venues full time.

Not when your 20,000 seat venues aren't filling up. Opening rounds in Columbus have sparse crowds compared to the games at the arena. Don't know if it is actual numbers, or percentage of seats filled, but you can tell the difference.

If the seats aren't filled, they aren't going to worry about having more capacity.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
Showing video replays sounds nice. But in order to do that, wouldn't you have to have every game televised? I mean, where would the "video" to replay on the big screen come from? And let's say the game is televised by someone aside from WHIO. Wouldn't they have to agree to allow their signal to be out on the board? And wouldn't they likely charge for the use of that signal?

And beyond that, the TV people are very busy doing their own broadcast and won't be bothered selecting and editing clips for local video board use. UD would have to have someone copying their output and then editing and selecting and playing the replay clips. Not saying it couldn't be done, just that it isn't as easy and inexpensive as some may think.

Also, I go to NFL games here in Chicago and replay at Soldier Field does not work as well as you might think. Often times the Fox or CBS network has other fish to fry and an important play does not get replayed because the network has gone to a commercial, etc. when the fans in the seats want to see a certain bit of action over again. Then again, there are the constant commercials and PSAs shown on the Big Screen. Do we want that?

Last edited by bobber; 11-21-2008 at 10:41 AM..
Old 11-21-2008, 10:54 AM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClearTheRunwayForWLJ View Post
4 HD Boards, Crap 2 HD Boards ... 2 for the next 2 or 3 years then purchase the other two. It can be done and should be done. UD Bball over the past couple years has turned into being all about the money. If they WIN on the court, the money will flow in!
Please explain both WHY and HOW you would get it done, keeping in mind that you don't purchase these at your local Circuit City or Best Buy.

Here's a quote from the folowing article re: HD scoreboards: http://www.athleticbusiness.com/arti...d=24&zoneid=20

"Thanks to such increased advertising opportunities and reduced video board prices, the technology is becoming available to a wide assortment of venues. Five years ago, it was rare for a college facility to have an instant-replay board. Now, even high school facilities have added boards. According to Mark Steinkamp, marketing manager for scoreboard manufacturer Daktronics Inc., which has installed high school video boards, the scaled-down versions cost between $100,000 and $200,000. Most college and professional boards, however, cost several million dollars."

With that in mind, I think it's safe to say that it's not going to happen.

Additionally, if you borrowed the $2M needed for ONE HD scoreboard and were lucky enough to get a rate of 5.75%, here's YOUR monthly payment:

Payment term:.....................30 Years
Interest rate:........................5.750%
Loan amount:...................$ 2,000,000.00
MONTHLY PAYMENT:.......$ 11,671.46 a month

Last edited by rollo; 11-21-2008 at 11:05 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
John R (11-21-2008), THirt (11-21-2008)
Old 11-21-2008, 11:03 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,181 Times in 578 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
The roof collapsed when the arena was under construction. As I remember, it happened late in the evening, or sometime overnight, so noone was hurt.
The roof wasn't fully supported yet as construction wasn't complete, and we had a heavy snow, and the weight caused the collapse.
That's how I remember it happening. Does anyone else have a better memory, of this? Or am I pretty accurate?
Swish, you are correct. The roof collapsed over night during construction. I remember it well! Rollo...that means I'm older than you!
Old 11-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Academy Doolie

Ferdy Fussbudget has a little shameless behaviour in the past
It was overnight and a snowy, windy one, but the arena was not under roof. I dont believe any roof decking was applied at the time, so the snow load was not a factor. If I recall, it was just improper shoring and bridging during the erection of the main roof trusses. Most likely caused more by wind than any other factor. It was only the "skeleton" that was complete at the time, and partially at that.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:26 AM
Major

bigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to behold
I'd be happy with projectors on a white screen like BW3s use. It's better than nothing!
Old 11-21-2008, 11:29 AM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
Here is a link to a previous discussion we had on this board about this topic on 6/12/07. Better be prepared to write a check for 5 or 6 million.

link: http://www.udpride.com/forums/showth...t=Video+boards
Old 11-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Colonel

Levelbest has much to be proud ofLevelbest has much to be proud ofLevelbest has much to be proud ofLevelbest has much to be proud ofLevelbest has much to be proud ofLevelbest has much to be proud ofLevelbest has much to be proud ofLevelbest has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
With that in mind, I think it's safe to say that it's not going to happen.

Additionally, if you borrowed the $2M needed for ONE HD scoreboard and were lucky enough to get a rate of 5.75%, here's YOUR monthly payment:

Payment term:.....................30 Years
Interest rate:........................5.750%
Loan amount:...................$ 2,000,000.00
MONTHLY PAYMENT:.......$ 11,671.46 a month
Rollo:

I hear what you are saying but with that logic, no sports venue ever would have even the light brite boards we have or any other kind of scoreboard because they all cost a buttload. My guess is even the outdated boards we have now in their day were fairly expensive in cost. There are offsets via advertising, donations etc that allow the costs to be made up over and amortized period. Also, like any facility, they probably have projected a "useful life" for the existing equipment and have a "reserve fund" setting aside for replacement of capital equipment - no different than say the arena's AC Units, Physical Plant, heck - even the floor.

Just a guess...

John
Old 11-21-2008, 12:08 PM

Rollo, good points.

While I agree it may cost 2 million for a state of the art HD board, it still can be done.

Also, I am just talking about a screen, not an entire scoreboard with it that hangs from the middle. I believe those can be had for probably under a million.

I think we are under-estimating the amount of money this school currently has and writing a check for that amount can be done. I think if you purchase one for each side and keep the 1970's boards for stats on each side it would be awesome.

A video board would bring a whole new dimension to the games, so many things can be done. I would also like to point out that advertising revenue would increase two-fold as you can get a message out visually to 13,000 people at once.

How do you think these schools pay for these scorboards? Ad revenue.

While I like watching the cheerleading team mess up cheers and almost crack their heads from time to time and the band shaking their asses for everyone, it would be nice to defer attention from them and the band.

Just food for thought until Sunday's game. UD should not cry poor now, the money the university is pulling in is at an all-time high. These slight improvements would bring more excitement to UD Arena and would increase the amount of advertisement deals and dollars as well. Making that big check that was written innitially, pay itself out and then some down the road.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:27 PM
1st Lieutenant

OPPFlyer is on a distinguished road
Didn’t we just pay Delaware St. $70,000 to play a basketball game here. I know we recoup that money pretty quickly just saying we are talking about a pretty big budget here.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:32 PM

Until you can throw actual numbers at me instead of simply speaking in generalities, you're not going to convince me it will ever get done.

Remember, the economy stinks. National City and Time Warner are not in a position to have their ad rates doubled w/o definitive proof that the return will be more than just a hope. And while the athletic budget may be at an all time high (show me the #'s), they are not operating at a profit.

I'm teaching Cost Control next semester (although I can't prove it). If I can get a group together to research this topic, it may make for a great research project.

Last edited by rollo; 11-21-2008 at 12:39 PM..
Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
John R (11-21-2008)
Old 11-21-2008, 12:35 PM
1st Lieutenant

The main reason I created this thread is because I go to the Purdue games and have witnessed their video board. During media timeouts, they show highlights of the previous 4 minutes, usually including any steals and every basket Purdue scored between the last media timeout. During play they actually have a live view of the game action. They do a good job of keeping out a lot of the annoying "extra things" you would see at a Dayton Dragons game. Basketball is a faster sport, so there is not a lot of time to kill with stupid animations and obnoxious noises. Who here would honestly not watch highlights of the previous four minutes of play if they were being shown? How often do you wish you could see a certain play over again but can't? The older fans say it is unnecessary, but whenever you watch a game on TV, replays are common.

Originally Posted by bobber View Post
Showing video replays sounds nice. But in order to do that, wouldn't you have to have every game televised? I mean, where would the "video" to replay on the big screen come from? And let's say the game is televised by someone aside from WHIO. Wouldn't they have to agree to allow their signal to be out on the board? And wouldn't they likely charge for the use of that signal?

And beyond that, the TV people are very busy doing their own broadcast and won't be bothered selecting and editing clips for local video board use. UD would have to have someone copying their output and then editing and selecting and playing the replay clips. Not saying it couldn't be done, just that it isn't as easy and inexpensive as some may think.

Also, I go to NFL games here in Chicago and replay at Soldier Field does not work as well as you might think. Often times the Fox or CBS network has other fish to fry and an important play does not get replayed because the network has gone to a commercial, etc. when the fans in the seats want to see a certain bit of action over again. Then again, there are the constant commercials and PSAs shown on the Big Screen. Do we want that?
Bobber, every game is filmed, even though if it is not televised. Coaches want game film to study, and every home game this year is being "televised" on daytonflyers.com. To say that the TV crew would not want to be bothered with having to edit film on top of broadcasting the game is kind of a lame excuse too. Hire another person to solely do that job, heck give it to a student as a journalism project. It would give them good work experience, and be pretty cost effective on the university's side. I don't know the specifics about the rights of video feeds for when we get a national television crew doing the game, but honestly how often does that happen a season for us??
Old 11-21-2008, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Levelbest View Post
I hear what you are saying but with that logic, no sports venue ever would have even the light brite boards we have or any other kind of scoreboard because they all cost a buttload. My guess is even the outdated boards we have now in their day were fairly expensive in cost. There are offsets via advertising, donations etc that allow the costs to be made up over and amortized period. Also, like any facility, they probably have projected a "useful life" for the existing equipment and have a "reserve fund" setting aside for replacement of capital equipment - no different than say the arena's AC Units, Physical Plant, heck - even the floor.
I would say the majority of budget covers operating expenses at UD, not capital. They have the capital. Operating expenses are what they are concerned with considering they have the infrastructure at the arena. The remodeling was the biggest expense they have had in recent times. They only have so much to work with at an older facility. It is the same reason schools and other teams find it cheaper to build new, than invest in older facilities. It is much cheaper. You have to draw the line as a manager of what expenses have maximum return. Without seeing numbers, I would say the bulk of sponsorships wouldn't cover the expenses.

Many season ticket holders would not want to see prices driven up for a luxury that most feel is not needed. If you are a game to game ticket purchaser, it may be cool, but for the folks that have season tickets, the opinion may differ. My opinion is that it would be cool, but not necessary. Attendance won't offset costs. With that in mind, your funding comes from sponsorships, unfortunately.....

UD hoops and the Dayton area isn't a large marketing base for companies that would be willing to shell out the money that would even come close to offsetting the cost. B-Dubs, KFC, Time Warner, Bud, Miller, NCB...and then your Superior Dental and some of your other locals that appear on the scorers table, aren't going to have offsetting profits from advertising to make that large of an investment beneficial. Professional venues are working with big bucks and longer seasons to offset costs.

Your professional teams or major college programs have the funds. tOSU can afford it not just because of their major sponsors, but that their athletic department has a silly budget. When your football program draws millions a game, it isn't hard to see where the funds are coming from.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:39 PM
Colonel

In addition to Rollo's points, the University Fund investments are getting hit hard this year. The DDN just about a week ago gave out the shrinking numbers and the stock market has gotten worse since then.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by bosoxrule View Post
Coaches want game film to study, and every home game this year is being "televised" on daytonflyers.com. To say that the TV crew would not want to be bothered with having to edit film on top of broadcasting the game is kind of a lame excuse too. Hire another person to solely do that job, heck give it to a student as a journalism project. It would give them good work experience, and be pretty cost effective on the university's side. I don't know the specifics about the rights of video feeds for when we get a national television crew doing the game, but honestly how often does that happen a season for us??
Getting the people to produce and direct the feeds wouldn't be a problem. Every came is cast on CCTV at the arena, as well as on the web, so some of the in house equipment is already there. I am willing to bet there are some students in this field that would love to sit at the switchboard for their campus job/credits.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
Have you watched those feeds? It is one camera perched waaaay up in the rafters. Fans would boo any replay from that source.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:48 PM

Additionally, the OSU's of the world also host conferences, hockey, concerts, high school championships, etc.... When you have a facility that hosts hundreds of events for millions of people, expenses are easier to justify AND repay.

UD hosts very few non-UD athletic events that draw large crowds. The additional 700 fans that show up to watch Alter smash CJ isn't going to pay for lighting.

Face it, without someone else's money, UD isn't going to install a new toilet!

Last edited by rollo; 11-21-2008 at 01:14 PM..
Old 11-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Captain

Dogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant future
Talking If we can't afford a new one, fix this one

I think the biggest problem is the board where they list the players, their number, their fouls, and their points. They can put the number 1 up on the board for London, but for Mickey they can only put up 00. Why is it that we can have one number for the number 1, but need two for the number 0? Solve that and then we can start talking about having video replay.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:19 PM

Thanked 6,617 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Roof Collapse

You oldtimers have pobably heard this story, but it is worth repeating. Al McGuire and Donoher had a pretty good rivalry back in the day. I believe McGuire told Donoher that he would no longer play in that little "gym" UD played in (the Fieldhouse). So, when the Arena was being built Donoher contacted McGuire and wanted Marquette to come and play. When the roof collapsed, McGuire sent Donoher a telegram which said something like, "Hey Mickey, I heard your new gym caved in. Too bad." If anyone has any more details I would love to hear them.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by Ferdy Fussbudget View Post
It was overnight and a snowy, windy one, but the arena was not under roof. I dont believe any roof decking was applied at the time, so the snow load was not a factor. If I recall, it was just improper shoring and bridging during the erection of the main roof trusses. Most likely caused more by wind than any other factor. It was only the "skeleton" that was complete at the time, and partially at that.
Hey Ferdy, You MUST be older than me to remember the details so well..
Old 11-21-2008, 10:00 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
You oldtimers have pobably heard this story, but it is worth repeating. Al McGuire and Donoher had a pretty good rivalry back in the day. I believe McGuire told Donoher that he would no longer play in that little "gym" UD played in (the Fieldhouse). So, when the Arena was being built Donoher contacted McGuire and wanted Marquette to come and play. When the roof collapsed, McGuire sent Donoher a telegram which said something like, "Hey Mickey, I heard your new gym caved in. Too bad." If anyone has any more details I would love to hear them.
I missed that story. But daggone it, I have a source I can go to to see what they have to say. Stay tuned...
Old 11-21-2008, 10:11 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ferdy Fussbudget View Post

Here is my recollection (and I may be wrong and Ferdy right) - I was a senior - It was a sunny late winter/early spring day in 1969. Wind might have been a factor. Mostly steel superstructure was up, maybe some trusses, no roof decking. Steel superstructure collapsed - later determined to be from a faulty I-Beam.

Two amazing items -

1. It happened on the lunch hour so relatively few workers in the area. Nobody killed, a half dozen or less injured. A couple of workers were able to dive into trenches to avoid being crushed.

2. Danis was the general contractor - They were still able to clean up the mess and get it completed on time - for the first game against Bowling Green on 12/6/69.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:30 PM
Captain

marco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to behold
I don't know any one who works at the Arena .... but my vote for spending money at the Arena would be for airconditioning ... so UD could expand the number of venues and bring more money into the sports program.

I was embarresed when the womens NCAA BB tourney was played at UD and it was 80 degrees inside. The coaches were steamed.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:01 AM
Colonel

Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
Here is my recollection (and I may be wrong and Ferdy right) - I was a senior - It was a sunny late winter/early spring day in 1969. Wind might have been a factor. Mostly steel superstructure was up, maybe some trusses, no roof decking. Steel superstructure collapsed - later determined to be from a faulty I-Beam.

Two amazing items -

1. It happened on the lunch hour so relatively few workers in the area. Nobody killed, a half dozen or less injured. A couple of workers were able to dive into trenches to avoid being crushed.

2. Danis was the general contractor - They were still able to clean up the mess and get it completed on time - for the first game against Bowling Green on 12/6/69.
Speaking of the first game at the arena.. Was anybody there for that one? If so, what was it like? Must have been exciting.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:43 PM

Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,074 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
Showing video replays sounds nice. But in order to do that, wouldn't you have to have every game televised? I mean, where would the "video" to replay on the big screen come from? And let's say the game is televised by someone aside from WHIO. Wouldn't they have to agree to allow their signal to be out on the board? And wouldn't they likely charge for the use of that signal? ...
Maybe students could do the video production for the video boards. It would be great work experience for communications majors.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:45 PM

Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,074 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dogdaddy View Post
I think the biggest problem is the board where they list the players, their number, their fouls, and their points. They can put the number 1 up on the board for London, but for Mickey they can only put up 00. Why is it that we can have one number for the number 1, but need two for the number 0? Solve that and then we can start talking about having video replay.
Didn't Mickey have "00" on his jersey last year? This year he switched to "0". Maybe the board just needs to be updated
Old 11-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Captain

Flyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to all
New Technology

Originally Posted by Medford View Post
Put this in the same file as the posts about playing Wright State and Out of Conference Schedule.

If you haven't checked that file, the short answer is that the structural members of the arena will not support the weight of the video board, and the cost to make it work far outweighs what they think it would be worth.

W/ the wight of monitors/screens continuing to plummet, and I'm sure it eventually becomes a requirement to host NCAA games, I guess it will happen eventually, just don't look for it before Chris Wright graduates.
The technology is here today, that weight for the structural members is no longer an excuse. Financing I would agree with...but considering Time Warner as a sponsor, one would assume that would be right up their alley. If not centercourt, put them in the four corners to replace what is there. Structurally, there would be less load at the corners than all the way out above centercourt.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:39 PM
Major

Flyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bill McPeek View Post
Swish, you are correct. The roof collapsed over night during construction. I remember it well! Rollo...that means I'm older than you!
The roof collapsed during the day as my friend was installing phone lines when he heard the rumble and got out.

Also, I believe the reason for the collapse was due to someone using the wrong grade of bolts. YWhen you look at the end of the bolt and you see those straight lines- those designate the hardness of the bolt (sheer strength). I remember hearing the grade that they were supposed to use and never knew they went that high. What was not mentioned was that at that time our country was experiencing "counterfeit parts" of all kinds.