User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-21-2008, 04:04 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,197 Times in 584 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
X vs. Va Tech

Since I am off on Fridays, I had the opportunity to watch this game broadcast on ESPNU from Puerto Rico. X wins on a Buzzer Beater by Dante Jackson from half court. I'm sure it will be on ESPN's highlights. Very impressed with Frease......he is going to be a heck of a player. Newcomers McLean, the transfer from Tulsa and Halloway, the guard from Long Island, also look good. Team is very athletic. X now plays the winner of Seton Hall vs. Memphis. Seton Hall beat USC last night and they have only 7 scholarship players eligible to play since Mitchell, the transfer and former A-10 Rookie of the Year while at Duquesne, was suspended for these two games by Seton Hall's AD. I don't know if I should be glad X, as an A-10 team won, or ticked off that they did win, with a miracle shot!
Advertisement
Old 11-21-2008, 04:07 PM
General

Thanked 1,269 Times in 787 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bill McPeek View Post
Since I am off on Fridays, I had the opportunity to watch this game broadcast on ESPNU from Puerto Rico. X wins on a Buzzer Beater by Dante Jackson from half court. I'm sure it will be on ESPN's highlights. Very impressed with Frease......he is going to be a heck of a player. Newcomers McLean, the transfer from Tulsa and Halloway, the guard from Long Island, also look good. Team is very athletic. X now plays the winner of Seton Hall vs. Memphis. Seton Hall beat USC last night and they have only 7 scholarship players eligible to play since Mitchell, the transfer and former A-10 Rookie of the Year while at Duquesne, was suspended for these two games by Seton Hall's AD. I don't know if I should be glad X, as an A-10 team won, or ticked off that they did win, with a miracle shot!
i forgot who they beat by 4 points the other day. Not michigan, oh yes... Missouri.

this X squad, whatever year, just keeps comin at ya. It's ****ing me OFF!
Old 11-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Colonel

as_4 will become famous soon enough
I always root for A10 teams outside the conference. The more wins the better come March when we need all the help we can get. I know a lot of folks don't like Xavier, but the better they are, the better the conference will look. Especially when we beat them!

That was a crazy ending. VA Tech basically quit after they scored and he was wide open for the pass, dribble and heave.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:14 PM
1st Lieutenant

Source is infamous around these partsSource is infamous around these partsSource is infamous around these partsSource is infamous around these partsSource is infamous around these partsSource is infamous around these partsSource is infamous around these partsSource is infamous around these partsSource is infamous around these partsSource is infamous around these parts
it was funny to watch the Hokies celebrate after making the tip in and never guarded Jackson.
The kids are growing up quick. Frease and Holloway are gaining valuable experience against decent teams. Virginia Tech presented some real problems compared to Mizzou.
This is big beacuse I know the staff and kids really wanted a shot at Memphis Sunday.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,197 Times in 584 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by as_4 View Post
I always root for A10 teams outside the conference. The more wins the better come March when we need all the help we can get. I know a lot of folks don't like Xavier, but the better they are, the better the conference will look. Especially when we beat them!

That was a crazy ending. VA Tech basically quit after they scored and he was wide open for the pass, dribble and heave.
My head tells me to agree with you and my heart tells me NO, but you are right, it's always good when an A-10 team wins. Obviously the winning shot was a lucky one (I'd rather be lucky than good) it just goes to show you "It ain't over till it's over".
Old 11-21-2008, 04:17 PM
1st Lieutenant

Flyer Hub will become famous soon enough
Unhappy

I know I'm suppose to root for Xavier during the non-conference portion of their schedule to help beef up the prestige of the A-10. I'm sorry. I just can't do it. I want them to lose every game they play, even intra-squad scrimmages. I have Xavier envy in the worst way. Dante's half court heave was just another dagger in my heart. They've beaten us 7 times in a row at least. Will my misery EVER end? I know I'm not alone.

I'm looking for a support group. Please help me.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer Hub For This Totally Excellent Post:
THirt (11-22-2008), udflyerfan07 (11-22-2008)
Old 11-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Colonel

as_4 will become famous soon enough
I guess I just can't put the energy into "hating" or worrying about other teams. I know I already put to much of my time, faith, and energy into the Flyers. So I try not to worry about it too much and hope the A10 does its job OOC.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:51 PM
Captain

Kopake will become famous soon enough
If Xavier keeps winning, it makes it sweeter when we beat them. Twice.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Kopake For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer_Tom (11-21-2008), John R (11-21-2008)
Old 11-21-2008, 05:36 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,752 Times in 794 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I used to love to hate X as well as but as I have gotten older, I find my attitude has changed. Not sure if that is because I just don't have enough energy to be a full-time fanatic and full-tiime hater or if because my perspective has just changed but I am thinking more the latter.

I want UD to make the big dance every year because they deserve to be there not because they are a little less bad then the rest of the teams in the league. I respect what X has been able to do over the past 15 years in a structure / system that doesn't really want the non-BCS "little guy" around.

X gives me hope that we too can be there long term if we get the right vision, players coaches etc. I guess I came to the conclusion that hating X for what they have must be jealousy because it is the same thing I want for the Flyers and would love if if/when it is achieved.

I do though take a greater delight when UD beats X, more so than beating any other team in the A10. So from that aspect, I still treasure the rivalry. Here's hoping the winning trend start to revert back to the right team starting this year.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:12 PM

ClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these parts
I find myself wanting _avier to good outside of us just so the A-10 looks good and because UD needs all the help it can get to get into the dance. Hopefully we will stabalize then I can root against them all the time.

Saying that, even thought I want the A-10 to get national headlines that shot made me sick. Mainly because we never get those breaks ... but the better you are it seems the luckier you get.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Colonel

daytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant future
i do not root against xavier in the nonconference...but to be devils advocate is it smart to root for them just because it makes the a10 look good and it helps us in the short term?

i can see rooting for the rest of the teams in the league for that reason, but if you look at the top-notch players we recruit who else is inevitably on their list of potential schools...X.

they are our main competition in recruiting, and obviously they are beating us as of late. im not saying a loss to VT in the second game of the season is going to convince a recruit one way or the other, but if they had a couple of NIT years in a row, or at least 1-and-dones in the tourney, or SOMETHING besides elite eights, high seeds, and a10 championships, we would have a better shot at the derrick browns, dante jacksons, josh duncans and bj raymonds of the world.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:49 PM
1st Lieutenant

AQUDXU will become famous soon enoughAQUDXU will become famous soon enough
The irony of Dante Jackson's shot, is that I think it was his man that he forgot to box out on the weak side for the tip in. Chances are now that he won't be making that mistake again.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:00 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
Nice win for X. I have to say this though ... there were about 93 people at that game. I think that tournament has seen it's last days. Unfortunate because it's such a beautiful place. Seriously though 93 may be pushing it, at least from the camera pan.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:01 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
I guess we'll find out next year, because aren't we playing in the same tournament?

The only circumstances where it is acceptable to root for that team is if them winning would directly result in UD making the NCAA tournament. As improbable as that sounds, it actually freaking happened last year, maybe twice. And of course, they screwed us over by LOSING. What a bunch of %(*(&#-ers they are. If they had beaten St. Joe, we likely would have gone to the dance, not them. If they had beaten St. Joe and then Temple, then UD and them would have been the A-10 representatives. Instead, a crappy Temple team got hot and got in, and St. Joe's, by virtue of their two wins over that other school, got in as well. Of course, they promptly got bounced by Oklahoma and Michigan State.

Not that I'm bitter or anything. And yes, of course, the better you are, the luckier you are. But UD has only won on two semi-buzzer beater shots that I can recall in the last several years - Brooks Hall to beat Nova, and BRob at Miami last year. Mark Jones' shot only tied the game against Richmond a few years back. We've lost to GW, LaSalle, Wyoming, Rhode Island, Nova the prior year, Eggsavier (the Chalmers putback), and Temple, just off the top of my head, on last posession shots in the last few years. We gotta start turning this crap around. Oh, and we lost to SMU on the road and Duquesne at home in the last couple years on shots that we missed at the buzzer. Oh, jeez, why do I do this to myself?

So screw those lucky sons of *****es from Norwood. I hope they lose the rest of the games played from now until the end of time. Let's start today.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to THirt For This Totally Excellent Post:
longtimefan (11-22-2008), Xenia UDFan (11-22-2008)
Old 11-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Love 'em or hate 'em, that was a heck of a shot.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Colonel

ClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant future
Interesting matchup for Xavier tonight as they take on Memphis. Game will be on ESPN2 at 7:30PM.