User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 12:17 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,484 Times in 810 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
2014-15 Minutes

What will the minutes look like next year?

Here is a worst-case scenario, assuming neither freshman is ready to contribute and Gavrilovic doesn't return. If that is the case, we're going to have a 3-man rotation at the wings and a 3-man rotation in the post. Going 8 deep with little margin for error/fouls.

PG: Khari Price (20), Scoochie Smith (20)
WINGS: Jordan Sibert (27), Dyshawn Pierre (27), Kyle Davis (26)
POSTS: Devon Scott (27), Jalen Robinson (27), Kendall Pollard (26)

But we do have McElvene and DDavis. Assume they do earn time on the court. And I'm going to be optimistic that we also land another post player who can play immediately... a recruit/JUCO/grad transfer. And Gav also returns. That would make things look like this, with Dayton going 12 deep:

SG: Jordan Sibert (10) Kyle Davis (15), Darrell Davis(15)
SF: Dyshawn Pierre (25), Jordan Sibert (15)
PF: Kendall Pollard (18), Jalen Robinson (16), Alex Gavrilovic (4)
C: Devon Scott (18), Steve McElvene(12), Unknown New Post Player (12)

Last edited by FlyingArrow; 04-13-2014 at 12:36 AM.. Reason: I have misspelled McElvene all this time.
Advertisement
Old 03-31-2014, 12:47 PM
Lieutenant General

FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Looking at those minutes, I think the most we can say is that Sibert and Pierre can be locked in for 25 minutes+. Beyond that, there are tons of minutes up for grabs. If for the most part everyone proves to be on equal footing, what you see above will materialize. But with strong play anybody else could join Sibert/Pierre at the 25 minute level. If not enough players step up, Sibert/Pierre could wind up at 30-35 minutes, but I don't see that happening. We had a lot of success keeping starter minutes under 30 per game and running fresh legs out all the time.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:59 PM
General

Thanked 1,267 Times in 785 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyingArrow View Post
What will the minutes look like next year?

Here is a worst-case scenario, assuming neither freshman is ready to contribute and Gavrilovic doesn't return. If that is the case, we're going to have a 3-man rotation at the wings and a 3-man rotation in the post. Going 8 deep with little margin for error/fouls.

WINGS: Jordan Sibert (27), Dyshawn Pierre (27), Kyle Davis (26)
POSTS: Devon Scott (27), Jalen Robinson (27), Kendall Pollard (26)

But we do have McElvane and DDavis. Assume they do earn time on the court. And I'm going to be optimistic that we also land another post player who can play immediately... a recruit/JUCO/grad transfer. And Gav also returns. That would make things look like this, with Dayton going 12 deep:

SG: Jordan Sibert (10) Kyle Davis (15), Darrell Davis(15)
PF: Kendall Pollard (18), Jalen Robinson (16), Alex Gavrilovic (4)
C: Devon Scott (18), Steve McElvane(12), Unknown New Post Player (12)
I think that's a pretty solid read on things Arrow.

If Khari is hurt, I'd say 14-16 Price, Scoochie 20-24 minutes.

I'm pretty sure Darrell Davis is getting minutes next year. Say 4 at the point, 10-12 at the SG.

Pollard could be a 20-22 minute guy if he's stays out of foul trouble and improves FT shooting. I'm pretty certain Coach Miller likes him.

Jalen is the big question mark to me. Needs to be tougher and fine tune his moves down low. Think perhaps he has Jamaican blood mon, and moveth too slow (for now at least).

Pretty spot on my man!
Old 04-07-2014, 10:55 AM
Lieutenant General

With Gavrilovic gone, we now look like this:

SG: Jordan Sibert (10) Kyle Davis (18), Darrell Davis(12)
PF: Kendall Pollard (20), Jalen Robinson (20)
C: Devon Scott (24), Steve McElvane(16)

We really need more bodies in the post.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:11 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Jalen Robinson and Devon Scott averaged under 13 minutes a game as seasoned sophomores. With that said, I see no way that McElvene averages >10 minutes/game. He won't be strong enough, fast enough or tough enough to keep pace with this offense.

At best he'll get Gavs minutes...2 here, 3 there...a couple 0's and a few 12's.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
There are a lot of variables that we just don't know at this point.

How good are the two incoming freshmen? By all accounts, it looks like DDavis is ready but who really knows?

Who are the others that will fill out the roster? JUCO? 5th yr senior? Another Freshman? Will AM eat one, or perhaps two scholarships, to balance out the classes?

I agree that the only certainties are that Sibert and Pierre will both be in the 25-30 minute range and Scoochie/Khari will take almost all of the point guard minutes. That is close to 50% of the minutes. The rest seems up for grabs.

Last edited by springborofan; 04-07-2014 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 04-07-2014, 11:41 AM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Jalen Robinson and Devon Scott averaged under 13 minutes a game as seasoned sophomores. With that said, I see no way that McElvene averages >10 minutes/game. He won't be strong enough, fast enough or tough enough to keep pace with this offense.

At best he'll get Gavs minutes...2 here, 3 there...a couple 0's and a few 12's.
There's a good chance you're right... assuming we get another recruit in the post who can play immediately. (I think we will.) But right now, McElvane is in line for a bunch of minutes. If we assume he won't play much, that means Scott, Robinson, and Pollard will all average 25+ minutes per game. Scott in particular has not shown he can stay out of foul trouble long enough to log those minutes.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:53 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,764 Times in 929 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
An additional big is a must. Requirements: 6'7" or taller and a pulse.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:55 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyingArrow View Post
With Gavrilovic gone, we now look like this:

SG: Jordan Sibert (10) Kyle Davis (18), Darrell Davis(12)
PF: Kendall Pollard (20), Jalen Robinson (20)
C: Devon Scott (24), Steve McElvane(16)

We really need more bodies in the post.
Scott/Robinson will primarily platoon at the "5" like they did this year. Robinson barely played any time at the "4" this year, a guy like Pierre is far more likely to take those minutes with our current setup.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:22 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
My memory is failing me but did ever go small last year with 3 guards, Pierre and a big?
Old 04-07-2014, 03:22 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure Archie ever had Pierre out there with Sibert, V and one of the point guards. But I think playing Oliver at the 4, with Price or Scoochie, Sibert and V was playing small.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:45 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by UDDoug View Post
Not sure Archie ever had Pierre out there with Sibert, V and one of the point guards. But I think playing Oliver at the 4, with Price or Scoochie, Sibert and V was playing small.
That was our standard lineup.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:08 PM

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
The big man,...

There seems to be consensus that we are in need of a strong body in the paint next year.....like Kav, for instance.

Prior to the season there was more than a little "spirited" discussion re the wisdom of allowing K to play for UD. I didn't feel strongly one way of the other...trusting the judgment of the administration.

In hindsight, though, it's doubtful that UD would have made its very important, deep run in the NCAAs without him....our first two wins were by the skin of our teeth, so they say, and could have gone either way. Surely, Kav's presence was worth a few points.

Indeed, the run UD made in February was why we got to the Dance....a few of those games were might close as well.

One never knows how things like that will turn out. But, for Dayton, we came out smelling like rose,...in my opinion.