User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 04-21-2014, 01:23 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Three NCAA Tournament What If Scenarios

From busting brackets.com (for the slow period for basketball):

The greatest thing about the NCAA Tournament is the unknown. The unpredictability. No matter what a team has looked like coming into that first weekend, it always serves as a clean slate. The tournament is also full of events that have massive implications. This year’s tournament was not an exception.

So many individual moments can be pinpointed as pivotal. To pick only three could be considered criminal, but there are three that do stand above the rest in terms of importance. Feel free to tweet me or comment below if you think I’m wrong.

3. Vee Sanford Misses the Layup
the rest - http://bustingbrackets.com/2014/04/2...ent-scenarios/

Last edited by NCkevi; 04-21-2014 at 01:31 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NCkevi For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (04-21-2014), San Diego Flyer (04-21-2014)
Advertisement
Old 04-21-2014, 01:29 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,430 Times in 755 Posts
Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
It's nice to see the A10 mentioned in #3 and #1. SJU had UConn beat...ugh! The only joy I can take from UConn winning everything is that it quantifies all that the Big East was, and what it no longer is.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:36 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
While the Sanford basket had huge implications for UD, I don't think it really changed the tournament. I don't see either OSE, Syracuse or Stanford getting by Florida. However, the other two - Wichita St and St Joes beating KY and UConn - would have changed the tournament completely since both of the teams they beat ended up in the national championship.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:47 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,430 Times in 755 Posts
Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Well, Sanford's shot was 3rd and behind the 2 you mentioned.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:17 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
For UD,...

....it meant more than can be put into words.

A week before just making the Dance was a big, unexpected recovery from a very, very rough early A10 start.

Someone said we were playing with house money when we went up against tOSU,.....confirming that "just getting there" was reward enough after what we'd been through.

When we beat OSU by a single point the lower-case "t" shifted to tUD....it was great!

Then, miracle of miracles, we get past #3 seed SU to finally get to the elusive "second weekend", the importance of which Ted K. spoke of for so many years.

And then,...then,...pow, we're in the Elite 8 against the #1 team in the country a win away from the Final Four!

Holy moly....this will resonate for some time. But, we are the ones that have to take advantage of these events. If we don't their significance will fade quickly. George Mason made the Final Four a few years ago, and......
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-21-2014), LI2UD2PA (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 05:41 PM

Thanked 6,126 Times in 4,171 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
Holy moly....this will resonate for some time. But, we are the ones that have to take advantage of these events. If we don't their significance will fade quickly. George Mason made the Final Four a few years ago, and......
Agree, but GM did end up in the A10.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:51 PM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
NCAA is all about match ups. Every year, there is at least two 5-12 upsets and much more.

Getting the chance to be on stage allows anything to happen.

In this case, the stars aligned for UD, since they matched up very well against the three teams the defeated. So, the draw might have been just as important as it gave Vee the chance.

So, the terrible push off by St. Joe's might have helped Dayton get slotted into the right place.

The only way to win an NCAA game is to get there. Nice job Archie and the team. You pulled something off that few in January could ever believe would happen.
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 06:30 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I nominate #4 What If to be VCU not blacking out, not going comatose, and not choking, all in the span of 3.6 seconds instead of being a Super Bowl win for SFA.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (04-22-2014), Flyer 86 (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 06:43 PM

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Sooooo right!

Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
NCAA is all about match ups. Every year, there is at least two 5-12 upsets and much more.

In this case, the stars aligned for UD, since they matched up very well against the three teams the defeated. So, the draw might have been just as important as it gave Vee the chance.

So, the terrible push off by St. Joe's might have helped Dayton get slotted into the right place.

The only way to win an NCAA game is to get there. Nice job Archie and the team. You pulled something off that few in January could ever believe would happen.
You cannot win the NCAAs without luck...plenty of it. UConn was incredibly lucky to get by St. Joes...and had comparatively easy sailing for the next five games.

Match-ups,....the importance of which I am still learning to appreciate. I saw UConn play Louisville three times...all won by UL. I think if they played 20 times UL would win 17-18...maybe all.

And our Flyers looked very, very good against three top-tier opponents. In fact, except for a dreadful three minutes they looked good against the fourth opponent.

It's true,...to win you've got to get there. To get there you've got to be pretty good. Then you've got to be playing your A game...and Oh my,...you'd better be lucky!

This time all three happened. But, wasn't it grand? It was so good we've got to make it sort of a habit. That's what Dayton Flyer basketball should be about!
Old 04-21-2014, 06:56 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
You cannot win the NCAAs without luck...plenty of it. UConn was incredibly lucky to get by St. Joes...and had comparatively easy sailing for the next five games.

Match-ups,....the importance of which I am still learning to appreciate. I saw UConn play Louisville three times...all won by UL. I think if they played 20 times UL would win 17-18...maybe all.

And our Flyers looked very, very good against three top-tier opponents. In fact, except for a dreadful three minutes they looked good against the fourth opponent.

It's true,...to win you've got to get there. To get there you've got to be pretty good. Then you've got to be playing your A game...and Oh my,...you'd better be lucky!

This time all three happened. But, wasn't it grand? It was so good we've got to make it sort of a habit. That's what Dayton Flyer basketball should be about!
Matchups are indeed key. Dayton obviously had a lot of trouble matching up with St. Joe's. For UCONN, 5 of their 8 losses on the year came to 2 schools: Louisville and SMU. SMU of course finished on the wrong side of the tourney bubble.
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 11:06 PM
General

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,050 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know if Vee's shot was a lay-up . . .
Maybe a pull-up jumper, or a teardrop off the glass, or a running one-hander:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn2gwB3ei58

westchesterflyer (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 07:04 AM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,927 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
But if Vee had missed, we would not have these:

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/...ess-first-meme
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
Hyde Park Flyer (04-22-2014), SeasonTicketFan (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 08:17 AM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Funny how the what if, glass full discussion goes.

What about the other tough game enders?

1) What if Vee's layup goes against Baylor?
2) What if USC does not hit a prayer of a 3?
3) What if Galloway was waived off because he did not call bank at UD Arena?
4) What if the refs make a call in the A10 tournament?

(I am going to ignore the Ole Miss bank shot for now. Selective memory)

Despite the angst of those breaks, they led to the perfect match ups for a team that caught fire.

Funny how the ball bounces during a season.

I am just thrilled that two game ending shots went UD's way in the tournament. I have seen way too many heartbreaks go against UD over the years. Way too many...
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (04-22-2014), Glen Clark (04-22-2014), ud2 (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 08:54 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Funny how the what if, glass full discussion goes.

What about the other tough game enders?

1) What if Vee's layup goes against Baylor?
2) What if USC does not hit a prayer of a 3?
3) What if Galloway was waived off because he did not call bank at UD Arena?
4) What if the refs make a call in the A10 tournament?

(I am going to ignore the Ole Miss bank shot for now. Selective memory)

Despite the angst of those breaks, they led to the perfect match ups for a team that caught fire.

Funny how the ball bounces during a season.

I am just thrilled that two game ending shots went UD's way in the tournament. I have seen way too many heartbreaks go against UD over the years. Way too many...
I'd say me and the basketball gods are all square. If I can finish the season the same with the golf gods, I will be a happy man.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
SLUFLYER (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 09:18 AM
Colonel

daytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant future

I don't know if we had "good matchups" - I just think we were a good and versatile team. Stanford was a huge team - typically not a "good matchup" for us. Syracuse as well, a big team. Ohio State, I agree, was a good matchup because they weren't great offensively. I think we "matched up" well with a lot of the teams in the tournament, because we were playing like one of the best teams in the country.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to daytonflyers For This Totally Excellent Post:
BOF02 (04-22-2014), San Diego Flyer (04-22-2014), ud2 (04-22-2014), UD90 (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 10:19 AM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
for sure.

Originally Posted by Glen Clark View Post
I don't know if Vee's shot was a lay-up . . .
Maybe a pull-up jumper, or a teardrop off the glass, or a running one-hander:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn2gwB3ei58

There are a half-dozen ways to make a quasi layup, but that certainly was NOT one of them. I vote for a perfectly executed running one-hander off the board against the Big Ten's best defensive player. A memory for Vee for a lifetime.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (04-22-2014), UACFlyer (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 02:56 PM
Academy Doolie

Santa Claus will become famous soon enoughSanta Claus will become famous soon enough
I cannot get over what a great happening that was. Only the next basketball season can fill what subsides. I will post instead of forego1 (His 'thank you' tab does not work; besides, he was too ostentatious, and
being Santa Claus as I am, requires some politeness).

A what if scenario that kind of relates: What if my daughter did not (Surprising to Mom & Dad) attend UD. I want to say proudly, my kid graduated highest honors with a Master's last year. Dayton basketball really has been special for her and myself.
Mad Props to Santa Claus For This Totally Excellent Post:
UACFlyer (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 04:19 PM

There are 10's of thousands of Elves who feel the same way.