UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-23-2019, 09:22 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,319 Times in 686 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Well, this was not good

GMU is a pretty good team. They've won multiple road games. But the truth is, we should have won this game. Here's why we didn't.

15 Turnovers, 8-27 from 3, 5-26 from the starting guards, and 5-9 from FT (with several missed front ends of 1-1). That's why we lost. We should have found a way to pound it inside to Josh and Obi, who were 11-14 between the two of them. That they would only get 14 shots while Crutcher and Jordan take 26 is a travesty. And as much as I like Trey, one of our biggest problems is we are essentially playing 4 on 5 on offense. Not much we can do unless we go to three guards or put Policelli in.

I know Davis hit a couple late threes, but that can't make up for all the missed scoring opportunities earlier. Add in the 15 turnovers, and that's just too many missed opportunities to score.

I hope this leaves a significantly bad taste in their mouth. You cannot shoot 5-26 anywhere, let alone at home.
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
IAFlyer (01-24-2019), jack72 (01-24-2019), Justin (01-24-2019), NJFlyr71 (01-24-2019), rollo (01-24-2019), ruechalgrin (01-24-2019), TX Flyer (01-23-2019)
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2019, 09:29 PM
General

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,551 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
I am convinced that there are two kinds of college players - good athletes and skilled basketball players. We lack skilled basketball players.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:41 PM
Captain

Crunk Juice is a jewel in the roughCrunk Juice is a jewel in the roughCrunk Juice is a jewel in the rough
Bad loss, no doubt about it. Have to play for the tie at the end, especially as poorly as we shot the 3 ball all night.

When you are a home favorite, you play for Overtime. Taking a contested 3 for the win was a poor shot selection, in my opinion.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Crunk Juice For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (01-23-2019), IAFlyer (01-24-2019), Jeff (01-24-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 09:53 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

FlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond repute
On the post game show, Coach Grant laid out the options for the last play. That desperate heave from the arc was the 4th.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:57 PM

TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Once Mikesell was cut off, he should have immediately passed out. He hesitated, which allowed the GM defender to close in. If he makes the pass without the delay, it's a better shot. Still may miss, but defender wouldn't have time to contest.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:59 PM

Thanked 2,426 Times in 827 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
Jalen is good, but Scoochie would have driven the paint. He had another four seconds to put the ball on the floor but he settled for a contested trey when we only needed two. I honestly think our PG wants to play hero sometimes at the expense of executing what’s drawn up, hence all those last-second first-half heaves where no one else even gets a touch.

Last edited by The Fly; 01-23-2019 at 10:03 PM..
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to The Fly For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-23-2019), jack72 (01-24-2019), Jeff (01-24-2019), San Diego Flyer (01-24-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 10:04 PM
General

Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,408 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Crunk Juice View Post
Bad loss, no doubt about it. Have to play for the tie at the end, especially as poorly as we shot the 3 ball all night.

When you are a home favorite, you play for Overtime. Taking a contested 3 for the win was a poor shot selection, in my opinion.
AG said on the post game interview that there were three other options (all for 2 pointers) and that three was option 4. Either the defense was awesome and took all these options away, or our execusion was poor. I did not watch the game, so I will reserve judgment.
Mad Props to frisco flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Radar (01-24-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 10:19 PM
Captain

Crunk Juice is a jewel in the roughCrunk Juice is a jewel in the roughCrunk Juice is a jewel in the rough
Not sure I buy there were 4 options on that final shot. There wasn't that much action on the play from what I recall ... Mikesell drove to his right and kicked to Jalen and he took the contested three.

I wan't really a fan of the double-timeout. Run a quick set, if it is not there, then call the final timeout and set up something else. 15 seconds is plenty of time for that.

I'm an AG fan ... not a hater like some on this board, but I'm guessing he was less than pleased with that final shot. Crutcher should have tried to create something rather than playing hero ball and heaving a contested three.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:21 PM
General

Thanked 3,923 Times in 2,155 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
Jalen is good, but Scoochie would have driven the paint. He had another four seconds to put the ball on the floor but he settled for a contested trey when we only needed two. I honestly think our PG wants to play hero sometimes at the expense of executing what’s drawn up, hence all those last-second first-half heaves where no one else even gets a touch.
Not to totally excuse Jalen but I feel like at times he forces it this year because of a lack of help on the perimeter
Old 01-23-2019, 10:27 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,041 Times in 2,687 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by frisco flyer View Post
AG said on the post game interview that there were three other options (all for 2 pointers) and that three was option 4. Either the defense was awesome and took all these options away, or our execusion was poor. I did not watch the game, so I will reserve judgment.
AG said on the postgame that GM took away a feed to Obi (Option 1) and a drive by Crutcher (Option 2). Mikesell attempted Option 3, but something happened (can’t remember exactly what AG said) to eliminate that possibility, so we had to settle for Crutcher’s heave (Option 4). And we all know how that went.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2019, 10:50 PM
General

Thanked 1,269 Times in 787 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Talk about last minute and last shot, who cares.

5 for 26 from our 2 guards is all I need to read. There is at least 10 lost points right there. And that would still mean a crappy 10 for 26 shooting night.

Stunningly bad. Exactly please get it in to obi and JOSH. PRRETTY PLEASE?
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer 86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-24-2019), CJ2etc (01-24-2019), Flyer69ers (01-24-2019), frisco flyer (01-24-2019), IAFlyer (01-24-2019), Jeff (01-24-2019), NJFlyr71 (01-24-2019), shocka43 (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 10:51 PM

Thanked 4,302 Times in 1,764 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
The offense was flat all night long. I am not sure it was GM defense. During the first few minutes, UD ran through it like butter. Then they stalled for the rest of the night.

Jalen played 38 minutes tonight. I think Anthony is calling his number at the end of each game. The others are standing around and Jalen looks fatigued. This is 5 close games tight in the last minute in a row.

Please don't tell me that players can play 38 minutes with no drop off or fatigue.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:05 PM

Thanked 9,814 Times in 4,075 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
The offense was flat all night long. I am not sure it was GM defense. During the first few minutes, UD ran through it like butter. Then they stalled for the rest of the night.

Jalen played 38 minutes tonight. I think Anthony is calling his number at the end of each game. The others are standing around and Jalen looks fatigued. This is 5 close games tight in the last minute in a row.

Please don't tell me that players can play 38 minutes with no drop off or fatigue.
You are right about everything here. But that fatigue is why we have to pound the ball inside, especially in the second half.

This team has two of the better post players in the league. GMU's big moved around like a 50 year old dude in a pickup game and we didn't abuse the paint. GMU went 9 deep I think with 3 of those guys rotating constantly in the paint. We burnt the skinny kid late in the game and he was pulled.

This game wasn't lost in the last minute, that is for sure. I said it elsewhere, the interior has to be utilized more often than not. The final play was a post play option 1, the rest were all dribbles and drives. As you mention, the fatigue lowers the success rate of anything other than Obi or Josh inside. That was evident in the Obi OOB play last Saturday.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-23-2019), flyerfanatic86 (01-24-2019), SeasonTicketFan (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 11:21 PM

Thanked 4,302 Times in 1,764 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Josh took a bit of beating during the second half. I would like to see him and Obi fight a bit harder for low post position. Having said that, the refs seemed to allow GM to "let them play" inside during most of the game. Josh took some awkward blows. He was also hurting at game end. I don't think he was close to 100% but went back in anyway.

Also, The ball could rotate faster than the sagging defense. Ball movement was slow all night long.

The numerous outside shots allowed GM to pack it in a bit. They dared Trey to take a 3 and it was not pretty. Jordan and Jalen missed open shots in the first half and that helped set the offensive tone. Hit 2-3 (3 or 4 of 14 instead of 1 for 14) and the game is totally different. They were tight all night long.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:24 PM

Thanked 17,159 Times in 5,119 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Dave Paulsen's FT defense and layup defense was stellar tonight. Gifted away 20-25pts off the scoreboard through no doing on Mason's part. You can only get away with being Santa Claus for so long. Sooner or later you have to make layups, FTs, and wide open threes or accept the peril that comes with it. The last possession was just filler as far as Im concerned. Im more aggravated at the first 36 minutes. I was telling people around me at the 12:00 mark of the first half that all these flushed points were going to catch up with us. The flushing continued through the half, into the second half, and cost us a W. We had enough good looks from the field to bludgeon Mason by three touchdowns. That we only shot in the mid 40s is a testament to just good those missed opportunities were.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
"Yeah....220, 221, whatever it takes." - Jack Butler (Mr. Mom)
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (01-24-2019), Flyer69ers (01-24-2019), frisco flyer (01-24-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 11:25 PM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Dave Paulsen's FT defense and layup defense was stellar tonight. Gifted away 20-25pts off the scoreboard tonight through no doing on Mason's part. You can only get away with being Santa Claus for so long. Sooner or later you have to make layups, FTs, and wide open threes or accept the peril that comes with it. The last possession was just filler as far as Im concerned. Im more aggravated at the first 36 minutes.
Getting to the line 9 times isn't Paulsen's doing, that's on UD
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (01-24-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 11:37 PM

How many front-ends did we miss? At least two, so there's potentially two more FT attempts. Could have been even more, but we just can't shoot FTs with any consistency. Or at least, some of the team can't.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:37 PM
General

Thanked 1,269 Times in 787 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Fatigue yes. But we need admit that Jalen isnt scoochie. Scooch would "find a way", usually by driving and creating. Later in career, more late game deep threes. There is still a large difference between the 2 players.

Jalen is mostly good. Has to work on perimeter dribble and then shoot thing at end of shot clock.
Scoochie had an agressive plan to attack.

Last edited by Flyer 86; 01-24-2019 at 12:26 PM..
Mad Props to Flyer 86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
SLUFLYER (01-24-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 11:52 PM

shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
The last possession was just filler as far as Im concerned. Im more aggravated at the first 36 minutes.
It was...the game was lost much earlier than the last few possessions... no one mentions something that GMU did and UD didn't do all night.

HEDGE A SCREEN

GMU hedged all screens, which puts teams into a position to not get good looks in a flow. Therefore, shooters end up shooting 3 balls elsewhere in the offense. That contributed to poor perimeter shooting and we failed to get the ball on the roll on the hedge.

UD on the other hand, doesn't hedge anything. The guard trails through the pick and the post flattens guarding the cutter. Unfortunately in this case, it negates any defensive intensity and we are always on our heels.

People want to mention FT's. 5-9 from the line didn't lose the game...the simple fact we only shot 9 FT's is more telling. Refusal to attack and draw fouls.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-24-2019), ruechalgrin (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 12:08 AM
General

Duquesne went to the line 38 times tonight
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-24-2019, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
And if they do that when we travel to Pittsburgh we will get toasted.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-24-2019), ruechalgrin (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 02:32 AM

Thanked 17,159 Times in 5,119 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Getting to the line 9 times isn't Paulsen's doing, that's on UD
The number taken wasnt the problem. It was the number missed. 5-11 doesnt get it done. That's 2-3 baskets. That alone is the difference, nevermind the numerous missed chip shots from 3ft, the numerous wide open missed treys, and the untimely and numerous TOs. Its all aggregate but even in this game any one of them done with excellence would have changed the outcome, let alone all of them.

On another note, I think this is another result where the presence of Matos may have also flipped a result. Mason dribble-drived on us at will. Matos was pretty solid at helping to stop such a thing, especially in the Bahamas. He Hes longer than Cohill and Crutcher (and maybe Davis?) and takes some defensive pressure off of them and adds another 5 fouls he can take away from those guys so they dont have to matador it as much.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
"Yeah....220, 221, whatever it takes." - Jack Butler (Mr. Mom)
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (01-24-2019), Flyer 86 (01-27-2019), Muckem333 (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 07:51 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,405 Times in 2,481 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
You like to keep your turnovers to 10 or less. We had 14. Not horrific, but needed to be better. But when you shoot 56% from the line in a close game it does you in. So many of those were the front end of 1-1.

All that said, I still like this team because it is so young and so thin on....I was going to type depth, but really it’s so thin on bodies of any kind. Most people were predicting 12-6 in the A10. That was with Matos and Chris is right, he looked like a valuable set of skills early that we could have used in our two A10 losses. It is was it is and I know everyone hates a home loss, but I’m not down on this young team.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 08:14 AM
Captain

Browns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to behold
This loss isn't a concern to me because AG is has proven history in close games (St. Bonaventure last week) and we're "ahead of schedule." Also, they're tired.
Mad Props to Browns For This Totally Excellent Post:
312to937 (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 08:21 AM
General of the Air Force

T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
That implies a number of things, none of which we’ve done recently with any consistency. Among those are (1) taking the ball inside and drawing fouls in the act of shooting; and (2) making the front ends of 1-and-1s.

If you’re shooting 38 freebies, chances are good that most of the opponent’s first 6 fouls in each half were committed while one of your guys was getting a shot up. We draw fouls in the act, but not with a lot of consistency (a symptom of not utilizing post feeds and dribble drives more). Also, if you’re shooting 38 freebies, chances are good that you’re taking 2 shots nearly every time you get to the line. Obviously, free throw shooting hasn’t been a strength of this year’s team.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-24-2019, 08:22 AM
Colonel

udscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Browns View Post
This loss isn't a concern to me because AG is has proven history in close games (St. Bonaventure last week) and we're "ahead of schedule." Also, they're tired.
r u being serious ? please please don't tell me AG is proven in close games when your talking about us beating teams with .300 winning percentages, those games should have never been close to begin with, also I'm sick and tired of hearing ahead of schedule, who's schedule ? please tell me where there was a schedule that said were ahead of, were an average team with an average coach with an average record with our best win vs a 12-7 team
Mad Props to udscott For This Totally Excellent Post:
Phi Psi Flyer '09 (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 08:37 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
And if they do that when we travel to Pittsburgh we will get toasted.
For more reasons than one. SLU was whistled for 29 fouls last night. 29! If we get whistled 29 times in a game this year, we’re going to see walk-ons grabbing major minutes.

Also, I checked shooting percentages in that contest, and they were putrid. Neither team shot over 40% from the field, and the teams combined to shoot 8/49 from behind the arc. And Duquesne missed 13 of those 38 freebies, shooting @ 65% from the line. The box score looks like something from the 1950s, when it was unusual to have more than a couple of players shoot better than 40% from the field.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-24-2019, 08:45 AM
General

Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,412 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
We didnt score in the last 3 minutes. That might have helped.

Not a new problem.
Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
NJFlyr71 (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 08:52 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
The number taken wasnt the problem. It was the number missed. 5-11 doesnt get it done. That's 2-3 baskets. That alone is the difference, nevermind the numerous missed chip shots from 3ft, the numerous wide open missed treys, and the untimely and numerous TOs. Its all aggregate but even in this game any one of them done with excellence would have changed the outcome, let alone all of them.
The number taken is the concern because it is directly related to the larger issue of not attacking the rim and getting the ball inside. By settling for 3's, your not putting yourself in position to get to the line. We took 3 times as many 3-pointers as we did free throws. The added bonus to getting to the line is that it gives the guys a chance to catch their breathe.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to bcross For This Totally Excellent Post:
Radar (01-24-2019), San Diego Flyer (01-24-2019), shocka43 (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 09:15 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,915 Times in 1,085 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
We didnt score in the last 3 minutes. That might have helped.

Not a new problem.
YES! THIS!

It's getting old .... very old.

Figgie may be able to show average time at end of games that are droughts ...

Old 01-24-2019, 09:16 AM

Thanked 10,503 Times in 4,705 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Not to totally excuse Jalen but I feel like at times he forces it this year because of a lack of help on the perimeter
Maybe that, but subjectively I think Jalen has a burning desire to be the hero. He is a good kid and has above average talent, but he has a propensity to handle/hold the ball late in the game/shot clock until he is obviously the last option and no one can fault him working for a long 3 ball. He's got two good front court bigs with good hands. His #1 priority should be to get them the rock. ESPECIALLY in the clutch.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-24-2019), TommyGola (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 09:22 AM
Major

flybye is infamous around these parts
They don’t play with passion . They have spurts but don’t sustain the action. Our wins in conference are against teams with 6 and 18 record. Josh has 9 rebounds in the last 80 min ... he and Obi combined for 8 last nite. Looking at schedule last nite loss is huge, going to be very hard to finish Top 4. I was amazed at the easy baskets Otis got just driving by Jalen and Jordan and zero help defense. At this point even with mistakes. I would give Cohill kick nite playing time even in Treys spot at times. He defends and can get to the hoop he just needs confidence and Grant to trust him. Team needs changes ASAP.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to flybye For This Totally Excellent Post:
CJ2etc (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 09:23 AM
Major

Sorry give Cohill more playing time...
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to flybye For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-24-2019), Jeff (01-24-2019), Runnin' Rebel (01-25-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 09:35 AM
Captain

Browns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by udscott View Post
r u being serious ? please please don't tell me AG is proven in close games when your talking about us beating teams with .300 winning percentages, those games should have never been close to begin with, also I'm sick and tired of hearing ahead of schedule, who's schedule ? please tell me where there was a schedule that said were ahead of, were an average team with an average coach with an average record with our best win vs a 12-7 team
I've seen the AG year by year schedule. Year 3 we should be competing for an NIT bid and by year 4 a top 3 seed in the NIT. Obviously the ultimate goal is to win another NIT championship but I'm trying to keep expectations in check.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:54 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
14 of them were in the last 1:33 when SLU decided to play hack a Duke. It almost worked because they missed a bunch.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:05 AM
General

TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
I've seen the AG year by year schedule. Year 3 we should be competing for an NIT bid and by year 4 a top 3 seed in the NIT. Obviously the ultimate goal is to win another NIT championship but I'm trying to keep expectations in check.
...and this is success????
Old 01-24-2019, 11:28 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
I enjoy watching these guys play.
Their youth has led to several end of game failures.
But I have never questioned their effort. Teams can
be sluggish, execute poorly, but that IMHO that does not mean they are not trying.
I though Keith Waleiskowski (Spl?) was 100% wrong to call out the
Flyers for not trying/being ready in the loss to GM.

Go Flyers!
Old 01-24-2019, 11:37 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
.....on WHIO post game show from Flanagan's.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:39 AM
Major

He is spot on.... they do not give a full 40. You can tell by listening to Anthony that he would like more consistent effort. Team does not play hard enough on D . Players take plays off and the rebounding which is all effort has slipped. Guys Obi and Josh had 8 rebounds last nite. Not good enough at home with the min they played. . Trey at 6 4 works hard as Limited a talent he is and out rebounds both of them Almost every nite... all effort and toughness. Jalen is very weak on D , probably ask too much on offense on him. Let Cohill loose more time and shots...
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to flybye For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-27-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 12:14 PM
Academy Doolie

SoTier Flyer will become famous soon enoughSoTier Flyer will become famous soon enough
Success

Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
I'm pretty sure Browns is being sarcastic.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:16 PM
Brigadier General

forego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond repute
by Browns:
"I've seen the AG year by year schedule. Year 3 we should be competing for an NIT bid and by year 4 a top 3 seed in the NIT..."

Laugh. Be realistic.

We were having to take a step down after AM. Perhaps UD took two or three steps down though. Success is one step up at a time. When the program is again up to where BG was, the next step is then conceivable.

Forgetting AM, I have reservations that the program will achieve the 'success' of the BG era. With the A-10 being substantially softer, I do think getting to the NCAAT a time or two is doable for AG (compared to BG 7 years). Whether UD wins a game there remains to be seen.

Whatever, I predict AG will have UD consistently atop the A-10, and is the fit the administration was looking for.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:56 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,343 Times in 450 Posts
Runnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond repute
Every time Trey throws the ball inside to Josh or Obi, the man guarding Trey will double team the post... as Trey is no threat from outside.

Need to swing ball to other side of court, where there is at least a shooting threat to stop the double team.

Or... don't post down low on Trey's side, and let Trey take his man to the hoop.

Or... just let Trey post his man up down low.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Runnin' Rebel For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-27-2019), jack72 (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 01:14 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by udscott View Post
If you're not astute enough to pick up on the clear fact that he wasn't being serious, then perhaps your privileges to post replies should be revoked?

I find it humorous that what was lost in his sarcasm is that his reply might suggest he could be disciple candidate of yours.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:27 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,431 Times in 681 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by forego1 View Post
by Browns:
"I've seen the AG year by year schedule. Year 3 we should be competing for an NIT bid and by year 4 a top 3 seed in the NIT..."

Laugh. Be realistic.

We were having to take a step down after AM. Perhaps UD took two or three steps down though. Success is one step up at a time. When the program is again up to where BG was, the next step is then conceivable.

Forgetting AM, I have reservations that the program will achieve the 'success' of the BG era. With the A-10 being substantially softer, I do think getting to the NCAAT a time or two is doable for AG (compared to BG 7 years). Whether UD wins a game there remains to be seen.

Whatever, I predict AG will have UD consistently atop the A-10, and is the fit the administration was looking for.

UD has consistently said its goal is to make the tournament more often than not and compete for advancement within the tournament. I hope the administration sticks to that and doesn't get comfortable with success that looks like "consistent byes in the A10 tournament." I know that Grant's coaching resume doesn't reflect this level of success, but I hope this is the perfect fit and it happens. Today, I'm skeptical.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:51 PM
Brigadier General

forego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyerfanatic86 View Post
.... I'm skeptical.
No ****
Mad Props to forego1 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (01-25-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 07:12 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Ohio State has lost five games in a row. They are going backward. Holtmann is terrible and has to go.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:55 PM
Colonel

312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all
Gold. Absolute gold.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:58 PM

The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=longtimefan;571407]Ohio State has lost five games in a row. They are going backward. Holtmann is terrible and has to go.[/QUOTE

Indiana has lost five games in a row. They are going backward. Archie Miller is terrible and has to go.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:07 PM
Colonel

312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all
[QUOTE=The Fly;571413]
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
Ohio State has lost five games in a row. They are going backward. Holtmann is terrible and has to go.[/QUOTE

Indiana has lost five games in a row. They are going backward. Archie Miller is terrible and has to go.
Maybe. If they finish in the bottom half of the Big Ten this year there will be a ton of pressure on him.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:36 PM
General of the Air Force

[QUOTE=The Fly;571413]
Ohio State has lost five games in a row. They are going backward. Holtmann is terrible and has to go.[/QUOTE

They’re both just “gaining steam”.
Posted via Mobile Device
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (01-25-2019), Figgie123 (01-25-2019), FlyerGuyer (01-25-2019), The Fly (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 10:19 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,477 Times in 1,111 Posts
JimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond repute
Ohio State has lost five games in a row. They are going backward. Holtmann is terrible and has to go.
Indiana has lost five in a row also........ Archie should be canned. His entire time at UD was just a fluke. I mean, he's mid-way through his second season, his team should be at the top of the Big10 and in the top 10 nationally. That's what they hired him for. He clearly can't coach
Mad Props to JimBo For This Totally Excellent Post:
T-Bone 84 (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 10:28 AM

Thanked 10,171 Times in 5,899 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Thank goodness we do not have Archie anymore! lol
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
JimBo (01-25-2019), T-Bone 84 (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 03:26 PM
General

To be realistic on the Archie/Holtman comparisons, those guys haven't lost a dozen games 8 years running and made 1 tournament appearance in 8 seasons. When you have tangible results as a coach you get the benefit of doubt
Old 01-25-2019, 03:33 PM
Captain

shwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant future
To be realistic on the Archie/Holtman comparisons, those guys haven't lost a dozen games 8 years running and made 1 tournament appearance in 8 seasons. When you have tangible results as a coach you get the benefit of doubt

Not by their fans. I'd argue Archie would be in a similar position we are in this year, people would be saying he had one good run but can't recruit well enough... he had one class etc.
Mad Props to shwag33 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 03:34 PM
General

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Thank goodness we do not have Archie anymore! lol
Here is a Dan Dakich rant on the condition of I.U. basketball and Archie. He really takes some cheap shots at Tom Ostrum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZs_NM3Cm8Y
Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
Runnin' Rebel (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 04:44 PM
General of the Air Force

Here is a Dan Dakich rant on the condition of I.U. basketball and Archie. He really takes some cheap shots at Tom Ostrum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZs_NM3Cm8Y
Don't hold back, Dan. Tell us what you really think.

WOW!
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 05:16 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,288 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe Archie walked away from a dream job. Be carefull what you wish for.
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-27-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 05:51 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
There is a huge difference in coaching 3 star players who want to be 4 and 5 stars players vs coaching 4 an 5 star players who think they are BNA ready.

AG has an advantage in having been on an NBA staff the players realize he knows what it takes to get there. While Archie was emensly successful at UD he is still perceived as an Mid Major coach. The respect isn't fully there yet.

And if Dayton is a top 15 to 25 team next year and Indiana is not there will be unrest at IU.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:16 PM

Dakich is a tool who can talk the talk but can’t walk the walk. He’s in love with himself both as a person and a broadcaster. As a coach, he was an abject failure. He coached 303 games in his career and was just 15 games over .500. He never took a team to the NCAA tournament except for one Indiana team he inherited as an interim coach. The guy was 3-4 in seven games there — enough for the Hoosiers to say see ya later. If he wants to be a blowhard, more power to him. But that doesn’t make him right. And I say this having no love for that school or most of Archie’s staff. But Archie already is twice the coach Dakich was. Danny boy can spew saliva all he wants while dressing down a coaching staff, but nothing changes the fact he’s all talk with no accomplishments to back it up.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to The Fly For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-25-2019), Chris R (01-25-2019), Radar (01-27-2019), Runnin' Rebel (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 06:26 PM
General

You can't ride players like Bobby Knight did in the 80s anymore and expect to get guys like Romeo Langford
Old 01-25-2019, 06:30 PM
General of the Air Force

You can't ride players like Bobby Knight did in the 80s anymore and expect to get guys like Romeo Langford
Yeah, I heard that part of Dakich’s diatribe and was waiting to hear him add, “...and get off my lawn!”
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2019, 07:06 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Indiana's AD said he expects final 4 and national championships. Good luck.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:07 PM
General of the Air Force

Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Wow with 8 min into the game it's Mich 17 IU 0.

Let's see if Archie can turn it around like he did with 1 -5 start at league play and advancing to elite 8.

Last edited by Avid Flyer; 01-25-2019 at 07:33 PM..
Old 01-25-2019, 07:09 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Indiana losing 20-2 after 10 minutes with Michigan
Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
TXFlyerFan (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 07:34 PM
General of the Air Force

Halftime Mich 33 IU 18
Old 01-25-2019, 09:02 PM
General of the Air Force

Final Mich 69 IU 46
Old 01-25-2019, 09:39 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,262 Times in 666 Posts
FlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond repute
Right around the time Archie was rumored for the IU job, I posted a YouTube video on here of an Indiana fan yelling directly at Tom Crean that Crean had “ruined the program” (interestingly, the video was taken down a day or two later - someone didn’t like it). Welcome to Indiana, Archie. You’re not in Dayton anymore...
Old 01-25-2019, 09:42 PM
Colonel

Wow. Archie just called his team out as “soft” in the postgame press conference. Either that turns team around or you lose ‘em and then he’s probably gone at end of year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2019, 09:44 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Final Mich 69 IU 46
And that was at Bloomington. Wow.

You know, I really wish Archie success with the Hoosiers, but that fan base is a lot less forgiving than the Flyer Faithful. Yeah, we p!$$ and moan, but at the end of the day, we generally keep it all in perspective. IU fans? Their perspective begins and ends with One Shining Moment. Godspeed, Ryan “Archie” Miller.
Posted via Mobile Device
San Diego Flyer (01-27-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 09:45 PM
General of the Air Force

Interesting that only two teams in the NBE have winning conference records.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:52 PM
General of the Air Force

An IU fan I know wasn't really thrilled with the Archie higher. He felt big time programs need hire seasoned big time coaches.

He remarked remembering telling a potential recruit who was also considering Dayton that UD wasn't a top 25 program. Today he addef, maybe Archie isn't a top 25 ciach, or even a big 10 coach. So yeah the leash is getting shorter and tighter.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:04 PM
General of the Air Force

If Creighton holds on to beat Butler tonight, they’ll vault from a 3-way tie for 8th into a 5-way tie for 3rd (at 3-4), and Butler will drop from a 5-way tie for 3rd into 8th place, all by themselves. Crazy!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2019, 11:15 PM
Brigadier General

That makes Dayton's marquee win a team 8th in their conference, but "we're ahead of schedule."

ADD > best to clarify around here; this is sarcasm

Our next best win is a double-overtime against Bonnies at 172 in NET rankings?
Is that right?

Last edited by forego1; 01-26-2019 at 11:08 AM..
Old 01-25-2019, 11:32 PM
Brigadier General

Without any sarcasm: I don't think Dayton can lose more than four games the rest of the regular season. There just isn't anything there to beat. AND, I suspect that UD will be good to go in the A-10 next year.

What that translates to outside of conference I am not sure.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:02 AM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
And they will all probably get a BID.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:01 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,363 Times in 1,101 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
I love reading the comments on this thread. I don’t know what AG does with the Flyers the rest of this year. I still believe its post season and likely NiT but anything is possible. I do know that this is still a young team and next year will be better. I’d much rather be a UD fan right now vs an Indiana fan. If IU stumbles to the point of not making the dance after being ranked this year, AM is in trouble.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 11:09 AM
General

Thanked 4,539 Times in 2,056 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
But none of them have a sub .500 overall record.

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
And they will all probably get a BID.

In today's ESPN (AKA All Duke, All The Time) Bracketology, Marquette and Villanova are solidly in while St Johns is a 10 opposite #7 Oklahoma and Seton Hall is an 11 opposite #6 Auburn. Butler & Creighton are on the wrong side of the bubble (for now).

Old 01-27-2019, 11:16 AM

PUKE.

Originally Posted by Glen Clark View Post
But none of them have a sub .500 overall record.

In today's ESPN (AKA All Duke, All The Time) Bracketology, Marquette and Villanova are solidly in while St Johns is a 10 opposite #7 Oklahoma and Seton Hall is an 11 opposite #6 Auburn. Butler & Creighton are on the wrong side of the bubble (for now).

Old 01-27-2019, 11:23 AM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan67 View Post
I love reading the comments on this thread. I don’t know what AG does with the Flyers the rest of this year. I still believe its post season and likely NiT but anything is possible. I do know that this is still a young team and next year will be better. I’d much rather be a UD fan right now vs an Indiana fan. If IU stumbles to the point of not making the dance after being ranked this year, AM is in trouble.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't think Archie is in trouble. IU has their crazy fans - like we all do - that expected NCAA this year. I think the more realistic fans recognize he needs another year and probably more like 2 before they should see the results they expect. After that all bets are off. John Beilein is the poster child. I don't think a P5 program can bring in the volume of transfers that UD has and other similar programs have done in order to speed up the process.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 11:52 AM

This season could really go south. IU is perilously close to being 8-12. As stated above, their fans are no where near as tolerant as UD's.

I hope he gets it done, but they have a tough road ahead.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:10 PM

Thanked 10,171 Times in 5,899 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
This season could really go south. IU is perilously close to being 8-12. As stated above, their fans are no where near as tolerant as UD's.

I hope he gets it done, but they have a tough road ahead.
Periously close only counts in horseshoes and Curling and hand grenades. After today both OSU and IU will have about the same record. Neither coach is going to get fired this year for their coaching, unless their teams lose almost all of the rest of their games.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:19 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,363 Times in 1,101 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
I don't think Archie is in trouble. IU has their crazy fans - like we all do - that expected NCAA this year. I think the more realistic fans recognize he needs another year and probably more like 2 before they should see the results they expect. After that all bets are off. John Beilein is the poster child. I don't think a P5 program can bring in the volume of transfers that UD has and other similar programs have done in order to speed up the process.
Interesting that IU’s “more realistic fans” realize it’ll be another year or 2 before they should see results- but many of our fan base want AG gone right now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by longtimefan67; 01-28-2019 at 06:03 PM..
Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 12:32 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,345 Times in 1,340 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Imagine if we were Wichita St.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:44 PM
General of the Air Force

Interesting that IU’s “more realistic fans” realize it’ll be another year or 2 before they should see results- but many of our fan base want AG fone right now.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't know how much you are saying that in jest but I really don't think there are that many Flyer fans that want AG gone this year. I would say it is probably similar %'s for both fan bases. Maybe a few more IU fans %wise want Archie gone than Flyer fans want AG gone. The only difference I see is that the IU fans that never liked the Archie hire, wanted Brad Stevens or Billy Donovan or Gregg Marshall. Unrealistic but at least they have names. The Flyer fans that never wanted AG don't even offer names - realistic or unrealistic.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:47 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
Imagine if we were Wichita St.
I imagine that is what it would be like if we joined the BE and started out 1-6 in conference.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:53 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,288 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know how much you are saying that in jest but I really don't think there are that many Flyer fans that want AG gone this year. I would say it is probably similar %'s for both fan bases. Maybe a few more IU fans %wise want Archie gone than Flyer fans want AG gone. The only difference I see is that the IU fans that never liked the Archie hire, wanted Brad Stevens or Billy Donovan or Gregg Marshall. Unrealistic but at least they have names. The Flyer fans that never wanted AG don't even offer names - realistic or unrealistic.
Agree the number is not that large. Problem is they never shut up.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-27-2019), Radar (01-28-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 01:54 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
I pay little to no attention to Dakich. He's a never was who found a job with a microphone. I listened to the link and it's 15 minutes I'll never get back. Not sure what his credentials are for the coaching critique but I find him to be very a much a douche.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:16 PM
Brigadier General

I will guess that Archie Miller teams will get to the NCAAT multiple times and win multiple games over this next decade. Dayton? ...............
Old 01-27-2019, 06:29 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

IndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by forego1 View Post
I will guess that Archie Miller teams will get to the NCAAT multiple times and win multiple games over this next decade. Dayton? ...............
Pretty safe guess they get there with how little it takes for a P5 team. We'll see about the number of wins.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2019, 07:11 PM
Captain

shwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant future
Interesting that IU’s “more realistic fans” realize it’ll be another year or 2 before they should see results- but many of our fan base want AG fone right now.
Posted via Mobile Device

If you go to their board that is not the case. It may be a vocal minority but its much much worse than here.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:46 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by IndianaFlyer View Post
Pretty safe guess they get there with how little it takes for a P5 team. We'll see about the number of wins.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, IU can pretty much be a game or 2 below .500 in-con, but if they kill it in November and December, and make it to the quarterfinals of the B1G tourney in March, they’ll get a bid. UD doesn’t have that luxury.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2019, 07:48 PM
General of the Air Force

...The Flyer fans that never wanted AG don't even offer names - realistic or unrealistic.
Ray Harper...
Posted via Mobile Device
CT Flyer (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 10:52 PM
General

Iowa State under Hoiberg hit the transfer market pretty hard
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-28-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 10:53 PM
General

The Flyer fans that never wanted AG don't even offer names - realistic or unrealistic.
I wanted Joe Pasternack
Old 01-28-2019, 07:35 AM

Thanked 15,914 Times in 6,996 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Iowa State football and basketball has thrived with JC transfers for decades. Just as UD has thrived from D1 transfers lately. Recruiting transfers is not a bad plan for anyone.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:49 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,285 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Iowa State football and basketball has thrived with JC transfers for decades. Just as UD has thrived from D1 transfers lately. Recruiting transfers is not a bad plan for anyone.
See Nevada.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:37 AM
General of the Air Force

Definitely. Can you think of anyone else? I know a number of mid majors have - Nevada for sure but I have a hard time coming up with anyone else. I would not be surprised if someone comes up with a couple more. It is just that P5 don't seem, to rebuild with a new coach through the transfer market.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:39 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Not suggesting it is bad at all.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 12:00 PM
General

Definitely. Can you think of anyone else? I know a number of mid majors have - Nevada for sure but I have a hard time coming up with anyone else. I would not be surprised if someone comes up with a couple more. It is just that P5 don't seem, to rebuild with a new coach through the transfer market.
Nebraska seems like they always have a couple. Kansas actually has 4/5 on their roster right now
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2019, 05:43 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,262 Times in 666 Posts
FlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think Archie is in trouble. IU has their crazy fans - like we all do - that expected NCAA this year.

They expect more than just to make the Dance. They expect Final Fours basically every year. Crean inherited a program in disarray and had them dancing in 4 of his last 6 seasons—including 3 Sweet Sixteens, two Big Ten regular season titles, and a stint where IU was ranked # 1 in the country—and they ran him out of town like he was worse than Jim O’Brien. Crean won more NCAA Tournament games at IU than Archie did during the same time period at UD (I know this is an apples to oranges comparison, but it does highlight the expectations of IU fans).

Last edited by FlyerGuyer; 01-28-2019 at 05:48 PM..
Mad Props to FlyerGuyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (01-28-2019)