User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-17-2019, 01:58 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,328 Times in 1,078 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by udscott View Post
What a stupid post because I don’t agree with hiring of AG u want me banned, great college education u got at Sinclair there
Posted via Mobile Device
If there were a poll to ban you, it wouldn’t surprise me if 90% or more would want it done. It’s OK to disagree with a coaches hiring, after-all i wanted coach Grant when they hired Miller. Its the continuous theme of “Grant is a terrible coach” that gets really old. It makes me wonder in all seriousness why you even follow UD. Several posters have asked who you would want as a coach but you always deflect actually answering the question. If AG fails at UD with the proper amount of time to implement his system and the exact same thing happened at IU, do you really think AM would come back if asked? I don’t. If you really love AM, go follow him at IU; right now he needs all the support he can get. But here at Dayton, AG is the coach now - so get behind the team and coach or leave (IF you really are a UD fan).
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyerinChicago (03-18-2019), GoFlyer (03-18-2019), JimBo (03-17-2019)
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2019, 02:21 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

TX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
It doesn’t matter who he wants. I want brad Stevens or billy Donovan but it will Never happen so why ask?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2019, 02:40 PM
Captain

Sticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud of
Cause they will defend AG no matter what, just like my post AG has always been an average coach, he can’t win the big game, and all they wanna do is defend him with every excuse, we only got 7 players they say all the time, well AM took 7 players to the elite 8
Posted via Mobile Device
Sheesh, if I wanted all of this bickering about how we have an average coach who is in over his head, I would've gone to the IU message board. udscott, I have two questions: 1) When are you buying my pizza? 2) Have you ever played a sport? Doesn't have to be basketball - maybe baseball, or golf, or even bowling? If so, I would think you would realize that some days you just don't have it. Some days the baseball looks like a beach ball, some days it looks like a pebble. Some days you rattle three 3-pointers out a la Jordan Davis, some days you get the roll. It's not always about the coach. Hell, listen to the UD players themselves after the game, several of whom are saying that they just didn't have it on Friday night.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:46 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sticks 'n Stearns View Post
2) Have you ever played a sport? Doesn't have to be basketball - maybe baseball, or golf, or even bowling? .
I think he plays all of them daily, on his moms XBox in her basement.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:24 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,559 Times in 2,452 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TX Flyer View Post
It doesn’t matter who he wants. I want brad Stevens or billy Donovan but it will Never happen so why ask?
Posted via Mobile Device
haha Those two names come up frequently on the Indiana board members' wish list. (From what I have read, Indiana approached both of them 2 years ago though, so they're not getting them either.)
Old 03-17-2019, 03:42 PM
Major

Flyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond repute
What a stupid post because I don’t agree with hiring of AG u want me banned, great college education u got at Sinclair there
Posted via Mobile Device
No, people want you banned because your simply a negative person to the extreme.

It would be nice if this was a “UDPRIDE” board not a constant complaint board. Another thing is your, along with a few others, total lack of “C I V I L T Y”.

UD is our team,we’re not Duke. I am a proud graduate of UD as is my son. Support what we have because it is what it is.

Last edited by Flyer2; 03-17-2019 at 03:47 PM..
Mad Props to Flyer2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Clear Prop (03-18-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 03:55 PM
Colonel

udscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by longtimefan67 View Post
If there were a poll to ban you, it wouldn’t surprise me if 90% or more would want it done. It’s OK to disagree with a coaches hiring, after-all i wanted coach Grant when they hired Miller. Its the continuous theme of “Grant is a terrible coach” that gets really old. It makes me wonder in all seriousness why you even follow UD. Several posters have asked who you would want as a coach but you always deflect actually answering the question. If AG fails at UD with the proper amount of time to implement his system and the exact same thing happened at IU, do you really think AM would come back if asked? I don’t. If you really love AM, go follow him at IU; right now he needs all the support he can get. But here at Dayton, AG is the coach now - so get behind the team and coach or leave (IF you really are a UD fan).
Posted via Mobile Device
I’ve never deflected the question, no one has ever asked me, I want a young coach an up and coming coach, not a washed up 55 year old guy that no one wanted and has been basically average in his coaching career, let’s be honest he has ZERO wins in two years here that would set the program forward, I want them to take a chance like they did with AM, someone with a lot of upside
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2019, 03:56 PM
Colonel

udscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Flyer2 View Post
No, people want you banned because your simply a negative person to the extreme.

It would be nice if this was a “UDPRIDE” board not a constant complaint board. Another thing is your, along with a few others, total lack of “C I V I L T Y”.

UD is our team,we’re not Duke. I am a proud graduate of UD as is my son. Support what we have because it is what it is.
I’m confident u never talked like that when JOB went 4-26
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2019, 03:59 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by Sticks 'n Stearns View Post
Sheesh, if I wanted all of this bickering about how we have an average coach who is in over his head, I would've gone to the IU message board. udscott, I have two questions: 1) When are you buying my pizza? 2) Have you ever played a sport? Doesn't have to be basketball - maybe baseball, or golf, or even bowling? If so, I would think you would realize that some days you just don't have it. Some days the baseball looks like a beach ball, some days it looks like a pebble. Some days you rattle three 3-pointers out a la Jordan Davis, some days you get the roll. It's not always about the coach. Hell, listen to the UD players themselves after the game, several of whom are saying that they just didn't have it on Friday night.
AG has gone dancing ONCE in EIGHT years, that is enough proof that he has NOT HAD IT more than HE HAS HAD IT
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2019, 04:03 PM
Colonel

Posted via Mobile Device
I tried to get behind AG this year till he shattt the bed every time we played a better team, please don’t me make me list all the losses, and before u say it yes we have 21 wins vs Fordham, LaSalle, etc...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2019, 04:04 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

TX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
haha Those two names come up frequently on the Indiana board members' wish list. (From what I have read, Indiana approached both of them 2 years ago though, so they're not getting them either.)
I imagine they are popular across ncaa boards as they have multiple championship appearances and wins combined
Old 03-17-2019, 04:31 PM
Major

Flyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond repute
I’m confident u never talked like that when JOB went 4-26
Posted via Mobile Device
When JOB was hired I don’t think AL GORE had invented the internet yet and I think his hiring was the great failure of Tom Fredericks not interviewing candidates when he was at the Tournment.

Gary Nunn had a interesting article about it. Bob Huggins was trying to interview for the job but Tom had to wait until he got back to Dayton. I’m sure firing his friend was part of it.

JOB really had no real qualifications for the job. Let’s see
Jack Ramsey son in law.....check
Coached some division 3 team.....check
Asst coach to Rick Pitino...check
His job with Rick was to carry his clip board.....check
Followed Ricks plan of mass substitution.....OH guess what, we didn’t have that deep a bench....check
Only success he had was with Don’s fundamentally schooled players...check

So we traded in a coach who took us to the finals for a fourth team coach who put UD basketball into a downward spiral.

That hiring was one of the darkest moment in UD basketball !
Old 03-17-2019, 04:56 PM
Major

podcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant future
Posted via Mobile Device
UDScott is protected by the Americans with disability act. Sadly we can't ban him. But we can remind him of this idiotic posts - like saying no way we get over 18 wins - which quickly pointed out his lack of any knowledge at all about the flyers.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:29 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
I’ve never deflected the question, no one has ever asked me, I want a young coach an up and coming coach, not a washed up 55 year old guy that no one wanted and has been basically average in his coaching career, let’s be honest he has ZERO wins in two years here that would set the program forward, I want them to take a chance like they did with AM, someone with a lot of upside
Posted via Mobile Device
I asked you directly.

Nice vague answer. Give me a name so everyone can tell you how mediocre he is. You know JOB and BG fit your description perfectly.
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 05:44 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
I asked you directly.

Nice vague answer. Give me a name so everyone can tell you how mediocre he is. You know JOB and BG fit your description perfectly.
I don’t know why you keep asking him these questions. Even if he gave an answer we will never know whether it would be better than AG or not. He could pick 5 names out of a hat and then we were blue but it would make no difference.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:06 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Amazing how one guy can get so many people cranked up.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:08 PM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Just seeing who can pi$$ the farthest off the bridge.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:30 PM
1st Lieutenant

big jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud of
Very rarely get any actual analysis from posters here, especially the negative ones. Really wasting time posting troll nonsense instead of actually backing up points

I like what Dayton did this year because top 5 in FG % in country and number 1 in conference in assists. This is despite only having 1 ballhandler and poor outside shooting. Top 40 KenPom offense is impressive with this personnel

Main concern is lack of physicality, especially on defense- We’ll see next year if this is Grant’s main shortcoming as a coach, as the roster looks stacked. Turnovers were also an issue, but I believe that was personnel
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to big jordan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (03-17-2019), JimBo (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 06:54 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Maybe they shouldn’t put so much emphasis on actual wins and wins of quality and instead focus on obscure statistics. That way everyone gets a trophy and we won’t have to be disappointed with no championships.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2019, 07:20 PM
Major General

longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer2 View Post
When JOB was hired I don’t think AL GORE had invented the internet yet and I think his hiring was the great failure of Tom Fredericks not interviewing candidates when he was at the Tournment.

Gary Nunn had a interesting article about it. Bob Huggins was trying to interview for the job but Tom had to wait until he got back to Dayton. I’m sure firing his friend was part of it.

JOB really had no real qualifications for the job. Let’s see
Jack Ramsey son in law.....check
Coached some division 3 team.....check
Asst coach to Rick Pitino...check
His job with Rick was to carry his clip board.....check
Followed Ricks plan of mass substitution.....OH guess what, we didn’t have that deep a bench....check
Only success he had was with Don’s fundamentally schooled players...check

So we traded in a coach who took us to the finals for a fourth team coach who put UD basketball into a downward spiral.

That hiring was one of the darkest moment in UD basketball !
It was THE darkest moment in UD basketball history. When legendary college coaches like John Wooden check in and ask “What's going on in Dayton?” After that firing of HOF coach Donoher- it puts it all in perspective. You could argue that that stupidity cost UD 10-15 years of progress
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer2 (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 07:26 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
It was THE darkest moment in UD basketball history. When legendary college coaches like John Wooden check in and ask “What's going on in Dayton?” After that firing of HOF coach Donoher- it puts it all in perspective. You could argue that that stupidity cost UD 10-15 years of progress
Posted via Mobile Device
Bad hires/fires happen and quality programs recover. Another big issue was UD’s stubbornness to remain independent at the time.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:27 PM
Major General

I tried to get behind AG this year till he shattt the bed every time we played a better team, please don’t me make me list all the losses, and before u say it yes we have 21 wins vs Fordham, LaSalle, etc...
Posted via Mobile Device
If he shattt the bed at UD with 21 crappy wins, can you imagine just how bad Archie shatttttt the bed at Indiana this year? Now thats some shattting let me tell you...woooh
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2019, 07:30 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Donoher had records of 13-15, 13-18, and 12-17 his last three years. He didn't just have one off season. I wonder how many on here would want to keep a coach after those three seasons. Some are going nuts after a 21-11 season. The firing of Donoher wasn't the mistake. The hiring of JOB was the mistake. Donoher should have simply "retired" and not forced one of his best friends to fire him. That hire and the earlier refusal to get in on Eddie Einhorn's TV package and the failure to join a conference were the fatal mistakes.

Last edited by longtimefan; 03-17-2019 at 07:33 PM..
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-18-2019), Flyer 86 (12-13-2019), Glen Clark (03-17-2019), Viperstick (03-18-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 07:36 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Travis Ford won more conference tournament games over the last 4 days than AG has won in his last 8 years as a head coach

I don't think Coach Grant is a good coach but he has every opportunity to prove his doubters wrong next year
Old 03-17-2019, 07:47 PM
Brigadier General

DGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond repute
If he shattt the bed at UD with 21 crappy wins, can you imagine just how bad Archie shatttttt the bed at Indiana this year? Now thats some shattting let me tell you...woooh
Posted via Mobile Device
Let me remind UDScott that the "etc" of UD wins includes St. Bonaventure, St. Louis and Davidson, and a last second loss to VCU.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:14 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by DGO67 View Post
Let me remind UDScott that the "etc" of UD wins includes St. Bonaventure, St. Louis and Davidson, and a last second loss to VCU.
This guy is hysterical he is calling a win over StB good lmao, and now we’re calling close losses wins also
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2019, 08:14 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
Travis Ford won more conference tournament games over the last 4 days than AG has won in his last 8 years as a head coach

I don't think Coach Grant is a good coach but he has every opportunity to prove his doubters wrong next year
TY SIR !
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2019, 08:25 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute

I will credit you for using facts in your argument. That said, I would not want Travis Ford as our coach, because (a) I’m not a fan of “chuck & crash” basketball, and (b) we had enough “player character” issues over the past 10 years as it was.

And I DO think Coach Grant is a good coach, and next year is undoubtedly “put up or shut up” time for our program. Obviously, I hope it’s the former and not the latter.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2019, 08:26 PM

Thanked 17,095 Times in 5,100 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Travis Ford also took the preseason #1 and finished #6th. Equally impressive.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
cralford (03-17-2019), CT Flyer (03-18-2019), CvilleFlyer (03-17-2019), GoFlyer (03-18-2019), IAFlyer (03-18-2019), jack72 (03-17-2019), MrFlyerFanatic (03-18-2019), SeasonTicketFan (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 08:36 PM
Brigadier General

SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute

And in nearly half as many seasons (11) as a head coach, AG has just as many NCAAt wins as Travis Ford does in (19 season) his career.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
GoFlyer (03-18-2019), IAFlyer (03-18-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 09:47 PM

Thanked 2,377 Times in 809 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
If Travis Ford is the new poster boy for St. Louis glory, the standard has sunk to a new low. I do give him credit for getting the Bilikens to the dance. His guys got hot at the right time after what had been a mediocre — at best — regular season. But his first two years there were worse than Grant’s — 12-21 and 17-16. This is his third year and his only year above .500 (10-8) in the league. He was 11th his first year and tied for fifth his second year, then sixth this year after having been a pre-season pick to win the league. He’s exactly three games over .500 for his St. Louis career, those three coming in the A-10 tourney. By comparison, it’s hard to argue AG isn’t on a better arc.

That said, Grant has been mediocre thus far. But he’s in his second season. He’s got something to prove next year, and I hope he does because he’ll have a bench, he’ll have some upper classmen, and he’ll have Obi. What he won’t have is excuses. I think it’s unfair to render a grade on his UD tenure. After year three, the verdicts will have relevance.

I mean, Ford was a bust. Now he’s not. But it took a third season to get there and he’s still got plenty to o prove.

Last edited by The Fly; 03-17-2019 at 09:51 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to The Fly For This Totally Excellent Post:
IAFlyer (03-18-2019), SeasonTicketFan (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 10:53 PM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Travis Ford should be the assistant general manager of a Dodge dealership in London, Kentucky
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-18-2019), MrFlyerFanatic (03-18-2019), The Fly (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 11:24 PM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Nothing wrong with being disappointed in how the season ended. Everyone thought is was ours to win when VCU got hit.

The bottom line. UD overachieved this season. This team got by with 7 players. 20 win season with 7 guys that could hold their own and only a few of them that did it consistently.

No legitimate relief for Jalen, which caused him to play out of his element at times. Jordan was streaky at best but gave efforts on defense. Obi was Obi. Trey had a strong early season role that diminished and he never really got that spark back. Ryan played the best ball of his career. Josh was a consistent performer but under utilized most of the season with Obi getting all the action at the rim. Cohill is a new kid that wouldn't have had the minutes he did if Matos was healthy. Frankie was a non-contributor.

Now take that paragraph and add the players on it next year and tell me they won't be better. On unproven stat lines alone there is no way that Josh's departure (granted he will be missed) can't be replaced by a few newcomers that take the pressure off of current roles.

If AG doesn't get it done after next season there is legitimate room for concern and criticism. If you are already in that room, then there is no hope for you as you can't see the potential, all you hope for is failure so you can try and be right.

I would love to know what udscott had to say during the JOB and OP years. Let alone the BG years. I'm guessing he has no clue about the full history of UD hoops and what screwed is for the lost decade...while the peers...X, Butler, etc...made their movement in the 90's that solidified their positions today. Combine that with the changing of the NCAA basketball/football relationship and you have what you have with UD in the A10 trying to get by.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-18-2019), SeasonTicketFan (03-18-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 11:57 PM

Thanked 6,124 Times in 4,169 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
If Travis Ford is the new poster boy for St. Louis glory, the standard has sunk to a new low. I do give him credit for getting the Bilikens to the dance. His guys got hot at the right time after what had been a mediocre — at best — regular season. But his first two years there were worse than Grant’s — 12-21 and 17-16. This is his third year and his only year above .500 (10-8) in the league. He was 11th his first year and tied for fifth his second year, then sixth this year after having been a pre-season pick to win the league. He’s exactly three games over .500 for his St. Louis career, those three coming in the A-10 tourney. By comparison, it’s hard to argue AG isn’t on a better arc.

That said, Grant has been mediocre thus far. But he’s in his second season. He’s got something to prove next year, and I hope he does because he’ll have a bench, he’ll have some upper classmen, and he’ll have Obi. What he won’t have is excuses. I think it’s unfair to render a grade on his UD tenure. After year three, the verdicts will have relevance.

I mean, Ford was a bust. Now he’s not. But it took a third season to get there and he’s still got plenty to o prove.
FWIW, he did fairly well at Eastern Kentucky and UMass and even better at Oklahoma State, so he does have a good track record. He did take over a bottomed out SLU program.

Last edited by ud2; 03-18-2019 at 12:01 AM..
Old 03-18-2019, 12:14 AM

SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
FWIW, he did fairly well at Eastern Kentucky and UMass and even better at Oklahoma State, so he does have a good track record. He did take over a bottomed out SLU program.
As I recall, Ford was fired at Oklahoma State. His last team was 3-15 in the Big 12. He finished 6th or worse in the league during 7 of his 9 seasons.

Sounds similar to Anthony Grant at Alabama.
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
IAFlyer (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 12:19 AM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
As I recall, Ford was fired at Oklahoma State. His last team was 3-15 in the Big 12. He finished 6th or worse in the league during 7 of his 9 seasons.

Sounds similar to Anthony Grant at Alabama.
IMO, TF did much better.

8 years at OSU, 5 ncaat, 1 nit.

Grant 6 years at Alabama, 3 nit, 1 ncaat.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:20 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
Donoher had records of 13-15, 13-18, and 12-17 his last three years. He didn't just have one off season. I wonder how many on here would want to keep a coach after those three seasons. Some are going nuts after a 21-11 season. The firing of Donoher wasn't the mistake. The hiring of JOB was the mistake. Donoher should have simply "retired" and not forced one of his best friends to fire him. That hire and the earlier refusal to get in on Eddie Einhorn's TV package and the failure to join a conference were the fatal mistakes.
A three stretch of sub-par records only tells part of the surface of the whole story. I know for fact that certain players refused to put forth the effort the last season and a half as they didn't think DD understood the modern game. The fact is, that team of 6 under achievers were the biggest contributors to those records; the first year most were freshmen. Suggesting that DD just didn't understand the game is ridiculous. At least one former player as much as said so in an interview a few years ago. Add to that ^ DD operated on a shoestring budget for recruiting and resources compared to what is given today and you begin to appreciate his body of work.

The 70's were a time of league creations/expansions and UD administrators just didn't want to have to share any revenue wealth and they lagged behind until it was almost too late. Notre Dame could get away with that; Dayton couldn't.

Let's not even discuss all the JOB failures; let's just let his record speak for itself. Interesting that a brand new coach could take a team of seniors to the Dance without really much work huh?

Interesting how several notable coaches consistently reached out to DD after his career at Dayton ended; notably Rick Majerus, yeah, he sucked.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:31 AM

IMO, TF did much better.

8 years at OSU, 5 ncaat, 1 nit.

Grant 6 years at Alabama, 3 nit, 1 ncaat.
Ford's league record in Big 12.
2008-9 9-7 T4th
2009-10 9-7 T6th
2010-11 6-10 9th
2011-12 7-11 7th
2012-13 13-5 3rd
2013-14 8-10 8th
2014-15 8-10 T6th
2015-16 3-15 9th
Total: 63-80

Other league play results for Ford
Campbellsville 25-11
Eastern Kentucky 28-52
UMass 31-17
St. Louis 25-29

Grant was 54-49 in league play with Alabama. He was 45-9 at VCU in league play

Neither coach had a stellar record at Oklahoma State or Alabama.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:42 AM

Ford's league record in Big 12.
2008-9 9-7 T4th
2009-10 9-7 T6th
2010-11 6-10 9th
2011-12 7-11 7th
2012-13 13-5 3rd
2013-14 8-10 8th
2014-15 8-10 T6th
2015-16 3-15 9th
Total: 63-80

Other league play results for Ford
Campbellsville 25-11
Eastern Kentucky 28-52
UMass 31-17
St. Louis 25-29

Grant was 54-49 in league play with Alabama. He was 45-9 at VCU in league play

Neither coach had a stellar record at Oklahoma State or Alabama.
IMO, the bottom line is whether you made the ncaat or nit, that is the universal measuring stick IMO.

Ford made the ncaat at EKU, EKU has only made the ncaat 4x in the last 40 years. He made the nit 2x at UMASS in 3 years, one of which was a runner-up finish.

And 5 ncaat and 1 nit in 8 years at osu.

He is a consistent performer.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:49 AM
Major

Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
Nothing wrong with being disappointed in how the season ended. Everyone thought is was ours to win when VCU got hit.

The bottom line. UD overachieved this season. This team got by with 7 players. 20 win season with 7 guys that could hold their own and only a few of them that did it consistently.

No legitimate relief for Jalen, which caused him to play out of his element at times. Jordan was streaky at best but gave efforts on defense. Obi was Obi. Trey had a strong early season role that diminished and he never really got that spark back. Ryan played the best ball of his career. Josh was a consistent performer but under utilized most of the season with Obi getting all the action at the rim. Cohill is a new kid that wouldn't have had the minutes he did if Matos was healthy. Frankie was a non-contributor.

Now take that paragraph and add the players on it next year and tell me they won't be better. On unproven stat lines alone there is no way that Josh's departure (granted he will be missed) can't be replaced by a few newcomers that take the pressure off of current roles.

If AG doesn't get it done after next season there is legitimate room for concern and criticism. If you are already in that room, then there is no hope for you as you can't see the potential, all you hope for is failure so you can try and be right.

I would love to know what udscott had to say during the JOB and OP years. Let alone the BG years. I'm guessing he has no clue about the full history of UD hoops and what screwed is for the lost decade...while the peers...X, Butler, etc...made their movement in the 90's that solidified their positions today. Combine that with the changing of the NCAA basketball/football relationship and you have what you have with UD in the A10 trying to get by.
Great write up and let’s add to that equation that our AD, President, Trustees did not understand the changing landscape. Head in the sand! We are/were a small Catholic school in a small media market that did not adjust with the times.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:58 AM
General of the Air Force

T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
STF, I thought you had a typo in Ford’s record at EKU, so I went to the web to research it, and I’ll be double-dipped! 28-52! He had 3 years that absolutely sucked (combined record of 9-39), followed by 1 year that’s the definition of mediocre (8-8), followed by the 1 good season (11-5) that landed him the UMass job, which he later parlayed into the Oklahoma State gig.

So, just think: if he had had 1 more bad season at EKU instead of that .500 season, he just might have been an assistant general manager at a car dealership in Paducah, instead of the head coach at SLU.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2019, 09:30 AM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm torn about posting this. But here goes.

I personally don't think Grant is going to be that successful here. I see more Brian Gregory than I do Archie Miller for our future.

With that said, all of you supporters who are saying next year is THE YEAR and then we can judge him are really painting yourselves in a corner that I don't believe you should. We have no idea what all these transfers are going to do their first season together playing in real games. I personally don't see our starting lineup changing much and yes the extra bodies will help. But there are going to be growing pains at least. Adding half a roster of transfers is going to take two years to gel if it's going to happen. No way I see this team all of a sudden becoming a power because a handful of transfers were added. Our current starting lineup has some real flaws that aren't going to be fixed with more bodies. And I also believe that replacing two or three starters isn't going to instantly make us a top 25 team. Great teams need to gradually get better together.

So, IMO, we won't know until the 2020-2021 season if this group of transfers is going to turn this team into something resembling the kind the successful ones that Archie put together. I also am concerned whether these transfers are going to turn out to be more Jordan Sibert quality or Mickey Perry quality.

Again, to summarize, I don't predict great things for AG, HOWEVER, if great things are going to happen, it will be in two years, not one.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
st marys (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 09:36 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,413 Times in 670 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Nobody is ready to fire Grant after 2 years.

But it's ok to have high expectations for the program and to want accountability if the team fails to live up to those expectations.

Next year will be the real test as to Grant's ability, and it will be interesting to see how everyone from fans to the administration react if we do not make the NCAAs. It could reflect what the program's expectations and goals really are.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:08 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyerfanatic86 View Post
Nobody is ready to fire Grant after 2 years.

But it's ok to have high expectations for the program and to want accountability if the team fails to live up to those expectations.

Next year will be the real test as to Grant's ability, and it will be interesting to see how everyone from fans to the administration react if we do not make the NCAAs. It could reflect what the program's expectations and goals really are.
Seeing as AG exceeded the expectations of the vast majority of fans this year, this year was a win for him. So year one not so good with the mess he interited, year two is a win. Year three has potential for improvment. Anybody seeing a trend here?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
JimBo (03-18-2019), TA111 (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 10:17 AM
General of the Air Force

Smitty10, I see your points, and your position is very well-thought. But having said that, I have a few counterpoints of my own:

1) Anthony may be < Archie at UD (time will tell), but I contend that he may have already proven that he’s > BG based on the success he had at VCU before going to Alabama. If you compare AG’s results at VCU to BG’s results here, I see cause for optimism. Again, time will tell.
2) I don’t believe it’ll take 2 seasons to work the kinks out of the transfers, but I agree there’s going to be an adjustment period. I just believe that will take probably about half of next season, into about the first 1/3 of conference play. I say that for 2 reasons: (a) all the transfers except Johnson have been practicing with our active roster all season, and (b) Sibert and Sanford (albeit, in successive seasons) were making positive contributions within the first 10 games of their first seasons on the court.

Finally, I understand the concern about people like myself putting so much emphasis on next year, but I believe that emphasis needs to be there, because other than potential chemistry issues resulting from battles over playing time, all the pieces will be in place. In no particular order, our weaknesses this year have included (but not been limited to):
- No option other than Crutcher at PG. Next year, Chatman is eligible, and he has 2 years of significant D-I experience under his belt.
- A lack of size/muscle in the middle. Granted, Josh’s loss will be felt, but Jordy and Moulaye each bring a lot more beef to the table, to jockey for rebounds and eat space down low. And Johnson, when he becomes eligible, will give us another Obi-sized body in the mix.
- No one who can consistently get to the rim off the dribble. From what I’ve heard about Watson, he’s a Grade A rim-runner.
- Depth. We have all 13 scholarships currently committed for next year, and 11 of those players are proven D-I commodities.

Yes, we still need better outside shooting. Yes, we still need better defense. Yes, we still need to beat the better teams, instead of just having moral victories. But there’s a very good chance that many of our shortcomings of this season will be solved with the influx of 4 brand-new transfers, 1 transfer who should be healthy once again, and a freshman big who’s already built like a junior. This year, we saw how well Anthony and his staff could recruit. Next year, we’ll see how well they can coach. I think I speak for the vast majority on this board when I say, I hope we’re not disappointed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by T-Bone 84; 03-18-2019 at 10:19 AM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
fuz_forward (03-18-2019), longtimefan67 (03-18-2019), shocka43 (03-19-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 10:26 AM
Brigadier General

udscott would/should tell you that he can't coach when it matters (NCAA Tournament), if we're grading by the same standards as he holds CAG.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:37 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
IMO, the bottom line is whether you made the ncaat or nit, that is the universal measuring stick IMO.

Ford made the ncaat at EKU, EKU has only made the ncaat 4x in the last 40 years. He made the nit 2x at UMASS in 3 years, one of which was a runner-up finish.

And 5 ncaat and 1 nit in 8 years at osu.

He is a consistent performer.
You forgot to add that he has lost in the first round of the NCAA every time he has made it, save one year...you are right he is a consistent performer!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
SLUFLYER (03-18-2019), steve (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post

I personally don't think Grant is going to be that successful here. I see more Brian Gregory than I do Archie Miller for our future.

With that said, all of you supporters who are saying next year is THE YEAR and then we can judge him are really painting yourselves in a corner that I don't believe you should. We have no idea what all these transfers are going to do their first season together playing in real games. I personally don't see our starting lineup changing much and yes the extra bodies will help. But there are going to be growing pains at least. Adding half a roster of transfers is going to take two years to gel if it's going to happen. No way I see this team all of a sudden becoming a power because a handful of transfers were added. Our current starting lineup has some real flaws that aren't going to be fixed with more bodies. And I also believe that replacing two or three starters isn't going to instantly make us a top 25 team. Great teams need to gradually get better together.

So, IMO, we won't know until the 2020-2021 season if this group of transfers is going to turn this team into something resembling the kind the successful ones that Archie put together. I also am concerned whether these transfers are going to turn out to be more Jordan Sibert quality or Mickey Perry quality.

Again, to summarize, I don't predict great things for AG, HOWEVER, if great things are going to happen, it will be in two years, not one.
I agree, demanding a break through next year is unnecessarily painting yourself into a corner. Next year is not a make or break year. Grant will be given a fair chance to prove his critics wrong.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:44 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,510 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
I’ve said it many times-85% of being a successful college coach is recruiting, the other 15 % is X and O’s. Did Archie go go from being a good coach to a bum in 2 years? Of course not, he just didn’t have enough horses. Calipari is no genius coach, but when you get 4 McDonalds All-Americans each year you’re bound to be successful.
That’s why next year is so interesting. With all the talent we have coming in, we should be at least 4 games better than this year.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
fuz_forward (03-18-2019), SeasonTicketFan (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 10:45 AM
Lieutenant General

CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
A three stretch of sub-par records only tells part of the surface of the whole story. I know for fact that certain players refused to put forth the effort the last season and a half as they didn't think DD understood the modern game. The fact is, that team of 6 under achievers were the biggest contributors to those records; the first year most were freshmen. Suggesting that DD just didn't understand the game is ridiculous. At least one former player as much as said so in an interview a few years ago. Add to that ^ DD operated on a shoestring budget for recruiting and resources compared to what is given today and you begin to appreciate his body of work.

The 70's were a time of league creations/expansions and UD administrators just didn't want to have to share any revenue wealth and they lagged behind until it was almost too late. Notre Dame could get away with that; Dayton couldn't.

Let's not even discuss all the JOB failures; let's just let his record speak for itself. Interesting that a brand new coach could take a team of seniors to the Dance without really much work huh?

Interesting how several notable coaches consistently reached out to DD after his career at Dayton ended; notably Rick Majerus, yeah, he sucked.
Just because some great coaches (Majerus, Wooden, Knight) reached out or made comments about the firing doesn't make the firing wrong. They weren't the ones suffering through three straight losing seasons. It's easy to make comments from afar because its not affecting you personally.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:46 AM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
Smitty10, I see your points, and your position is very well-thought. But having said that, I have a few counterpoints of my own:

1) Anthony may be < Archie at UD (time will tell), but I contend that he may have already proven that he’s > BG based on the success he had at VCU before going to Alabama. If you compare AG’s results at VCU to BG’s results here, I see cause for optimism. Again, time will tell.
2) I don’t believe it’ll take 2 seasons to work the kinks out of the transfers, but I agree there’s going to be an adjustment period. I just believe that will take probably about half of next season, into about the first 1/3 of conference play. I say that for 2 reasons: (a) all the transfers except Johnson have been practicing with our active roster all season, and (b) Sibert and Sanford (albeit, in successive seasons) were making positive contributions within the first 10 games of their first seasons on the court.

Finally, I understand the concern about people like myself putting so much emphasis on next year, but I believe that emphasis needs to be there, because other than potential chemistry issues resulting from battles over playing time, all the pieces will be in place. In no particular order, our weaknesses this year have included (but not been limited to):
- No option other than Crutcher at PG. Next year, Chatman is eligible, and he has 2 years of significant D-I experience under his belt.
- A lack of size/muscle in the middle. Granted, Josh’s loss will be felt, but Jordy and Moulaye each bring a lot more beef to the table, to jockey for rebounds and eat space down low. And Johnson, when he becomes eligible, will give us another Obi-sized body in the mix.
- No one who can consistently get to the rim off the dribble. From what I’ve heard about Watson, he’s a Grade A rim-runner.
- Depth. We have all 13 scholarships currently committed for next year, and 11 of those players are proven D-I commodities.

Yes, we still need better outside shooting. Yes, we still need better defense. Yes, we still need to beat the better teams, instead of just having moral victories. But there’s a very good chance that many of our shortcomings of this season will be solved with the influx of 4 brand-new transfers, 1 transfer who should be healthy once again, and a freshman big who’s already built like a junior. This year, we saw how well Anthony and his staff could recruit. Next year, we’ll see how well they can coach. I think I speak for the vast majority on this board when I say, I hope we’re not disappointed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Besides the chemistry thing, I really think PG is going to be a problem one way or another. First off, I'm one of the few who don't think that Jalen Crutcher is a good PG. He's a good guard, but not at the point. Either he still gets most of the PG minutes next season, he plays more at SG or he gets replaced as a starter. If it's the first, offense will still have big issues, if it's the 3rd, there will be attitude problems, if it's the 2nd, things could work out well.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Donniex3Era (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 10:48 AM
Major General

I like the trend i am seeing. And as one gutless private message sent me said “choke on the Kool-aid, you’re delusional” - yep, I’m drinking it because i saw a very limited roster with few options and still the record improved. Past performance is not always an indicator of future results- both ways. People usually get better at their kraft but sometimes regress. Sometimes its a bad fit for a coach at a university so I don’t put any stock about what AG did at Alabama or VCU for that matter. All I care about is what he does here at UD. Pass me the koolaid...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2019, 10:49 AM
Lieutenant General

If you are bringing in transfers who only have two years of eligibility left, next year better be the year. Why would you bring in guys with two years left to only be shooting for one good year with them. I highly doubt AG is saying next year is a bye year because its the year after that we really want to win.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:52 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
Just because some great coaches (Majerus, Wooden, Knight) reached out or made comments about the firing doesn't make the firing wrong. They weren't the ones suffering through three straight losing seasons. It's easy to make comments from afar because its not affecting you personally.
Majerus was widely acknowledged as a top coach. Majerus discussed at length over years (his words) the genius of Donoher. He actually gave much of his coaching success to the motion offenses he directly received from Donoher. So, that’s not just reaching out, that’s admission of credit to Donoher. Do you now understand the difference?
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
JimBo (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 10:56 AM

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
foolishpride (03-18-2019), longtimefan67 (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 10:57 AM
Lieutenant General

Majerus was widely acknowledged as a top coach. Majerus discussed at length over years (his words) the genius of Donoher. He actually gave much of his coaching success to the motion offenses he directly received from Donoher. So, that’s not just reaching out, that’s admission of credit to Donoher. Do you now understand the difference?
Posted via Mobile Device
Don Donoher was a great coach no doubt, but does that means we should have just sat back and kept having losing season after losing season? The time had come like it does for most coaches, great or otherwise.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:16 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,413 Times in 670 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
Seeing as AG exceeded the expectations of the vast majority of fans this year, this year was a win for him. So year one not so good with the mess he interited, year two is a win. Year three has potential for improvment. Anybody seeing a trend here?
There's a difference in year to year expectations and overall program expectations. Improvement is great, but it has to eventually meet the program's overall goals: consistent NCAA tournament appearances with opportunities to advance. If the team doesn't do that after a certain amount of time and the administration doesn't make any changes as a result, then we need to question the admin's true goals for the program.

And honestly, I don't put much stock in "we were better than we thought we'd be at the beginning of the season." Expectations adjust based on performance, it's not a static thing. It just means that early season predictions were wrong.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:08 PM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
A coach really needs to have 4 years, unless it's an unmitigated disaster. You've got to have time to get all your recruiting in place. Even the recruits you get the first year or two aren't necessarily indicative as to what you can get in years 3 and 4, because it takes time to build the relationships. So even in year 4, you're talking about basing a lot of the team result on Fr and So recruits. The biggest issue for fans is we want to win right now. Every year that passes is a lost opportunity in our eyes, but these things just have to play out. If Grant were to seriously underperform, then we can revisit. But the trajectory he is on at the moment indicates we are rising back to where we were and should be.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
ChrisInVenice (03-19-2019), JimBo (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 12:40 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
I agree, demanding a break through next year is unnecessarily painting yourself into a corner. Next year is not a make or break year. Grant will be given a fair chance to prove his critics wrong.
Next year we'll have 8 upperclassman, with two of the underclassman being 3rd year sophomores. Missing the NCAA tourney would say a lot about the future of this program.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:08 PM

When Archie interview for the job, he told the administration that he had 3 years to make the difference. He said he knew he would be gone if he did not make a difference in year 3. Half way through year 3, the administration hung with him while fans did not. They saw what fans did not. Sound familiar?

Like BG, AM had a successful first year because of the talent pool left. Both had below average second years due to the talent transition involving a new coach and new system. AG had a very poor year one and improved year two. OP took a lot longer to overcome JOB.

So, in my opinion, the hype puts pressure on Anthony to deliver next year. The talk of the talent level means the team should be significantly better. Remember this however, the A10 should also be much better as very few programs are graduating seniors. The exception is St. Louis but they have some very good recruits coming in.

I think the talk that AG was a terrible coach at Alabama is overblown hype. He was not successful at Alabama. To discount the VCU success is cherry picking. I can also show you a down part of almost EVERY career of a D1 coach, including John Wooden, Bobby Knight etc... Look at the record of Travis Ford!!

To say he is a terrible coach because he could not overcome the lack of talent on the floor the last two years is totally delusional. No coach can turn Trey Landers into Lebron James. The jury is out after two years.

Having said all that, Anthony will have pressure to deliver next year.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:15 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,713 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
How do we know AG has pressure to deliver next year. AG, being the competitive person that we all know he is, will put pressure on himself to deliver but his boss may be just fine with the way things are transpiring. AG was not brought in to just win basketball games, he was also brought in to clean up the stench of certain AM recruits and change the culture, in which he is doing a fantastic job. I get a kick out of message board posters that are demanding accountability. Give me a break. Unless you are writing 6 figure checks demanding accountability is ludicrous.
Mad Props to cj For This Totally Excellent Post:
JimBo (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 01:45 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
Don Donoher was a great coach no doubt, but does that means we should have just sat back and kept having losing season after losing season? The time had come like it does for most coaches, great or otherwise.
In your opinion the time had come. That’s fine to feel the way you thought. Many thought your way and were giddy when JOB took a senior laden team to the promised land. The reality of it is this: there’s really no substitute for experience AND success- both of which Donoher had. A “few bad years” shouldn’t be the reason to dismiss a legendary coach because a few people are impatient at the results. But UD had to learn that lesson the hard way and they dearly did.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
JimBo (03-18-2019), runnerup (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 01:53 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

IndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Be careful CJ, I made the same comment and was red-piped as a moron lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2019, 04:09 PM
Just off the Jet

Sunshine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cj View Post
How do we know AG has pressure to deliver next year. AG, being the competitive person that we all know he is, will put pressure on himself to deliver but his boss may be just fine with the way things are transpiring. AG was not brought in to just win basketball games, he was also brought in to clean up the stench of certain AM recruits and change the culture, in which he is doing a fantastic job. I get a kick out of message board posters that are demanding accountability. Give me a break. Unless you are writing 6 figure checks demanding accountability is ludicrous.
Please elaborate on what stench you are referring too. I am very curious to know how you mean.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2019, 04:15 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,858 Times in 719 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
Well there were several very public indications of frigging in the rigging with the Miller administration. Scott and Robinson, Kavanaugh, Cooke vs. Smith, Sam Miller, etc. And that's discounting anything that was kept out of the newspapers. The last two years were frankly pretty ugly, but we were all coming down off the high of 5 NCAA wins in two years prior so we may not remember the bad times as clearly.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to sheg For This Totally Excellent Post:
cj (03-18-2019), longtimefan67 (03-18-2019), rollo (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 04:21 PM
General

Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
Please elaborate on what stench you are referring too. I am very curious to know how you mean.
Posted via Mobile Device
Me too. But I suspect it's part of the revisionist history on Archie we keep seeing. Coming in to clean out stench would indicate that program was not happy with coach and booted him for another. Archie was on a very long contract that had just been extended less than a year earlier and leaving UD was his decision. To pretend like the Admin wanted him gone to "clean the stench" is revisionist history at it's most obvious and laughable.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
cralford (03-19-2019), flyerfanatic86 (03-18-2019), ud2 (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 05:03 PM
Major General

Me too. But I suspect it's part of the revisionist history on Archie we keep seeing. Coming in to clean out stench would indicate that program was not happy with coach and booted him for another. Archie was on a very long contract that had just been extended less than a year earlier and leaving UD was his decision. To pretend like the Admin wanted him gone to "clean the stench" is revisionist history at it's most obvious and laughable.
You guys are funny. Yes Archie had a very long (IIRC just extended contract) when he suddenly chose to leave abruptly to IU. HE left UD; UD didn't fire or want him gone or they wouldn't have extended his contract nor would they have made an attempt to keep him here. Nobody that I know of is implying that fact. However....all those facts aside...

You’re kidding yourself if you think Archie ran a clean ship with high integrity. Once it was clear AM had no intention of looking at a counter offer from UD, I think the UD administration decided (maybe finally) that if you wanted some stability in this program, wanted long term success with a succession plan AND player recruitment void of yearly embarrassing player behavior that maybe coach Grant was your easy choice. He's an Alumni, was popular as a player, highly regarded by his coaching peers and has high integrity – those are all considered “wins”. And he's only going to attempt to bring in players that fit his mold of what he wants. That is what last year was all about. I don’t think there is any sentiment that UD is going to give AG 15 years to prove himself before they might take action to replace him if he were unsuccessful. I’m personally not even concerned about that. There are generally 2 paths to success: You have the “win and recruit at any cost”…and we’ve seen first-hand what that gets you, aka the Sean Miller approach… and then you have the “right” way, which is what we are getting with coach Grant.

If you think AM was doing it the AG way, you need to meditate and reflect what we had here with his success; some players were good and represented well and some really didn't come close, and several were arrested... aka "stench".
Old 03-18-2019, 05:49 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,713 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
See longtimes response. Kudos to longtime
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2019, 06:21 PM

And the word is that we at least matched IU's offer to try to convince Archie to stay. To say that the admin no longer wanted Archie is pure fiction.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
cralford (03-19-2019), SLUFLYER (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 06:53 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
And the word is that we at least matched IU's offer to try to convince Archie to stay. To say that the admin no longer wanted Archie is pure fiction.

I don't know where you guys get this stuff. Nobody said that the Administration no longer wanted Archie.
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
SLUFLYER (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 07:32 PM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Archie, archie, archie...

Good f'in lord, people. Take off your leisure suits, turn off WTUE, take the antenna down from your house, throw away the Farrah Fawcett poster and move along. It's 2019...things change.
Radar (03-19-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 07:37 PM
Colonel

312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Good f'in lord, people. Take off your leisure suits, turn off WTUE, take the antenna down from your house, throw away the Farrah Fawcett poster and move along. It's 2019...things change.
Let them keep the Farrah Fawcett poster. Or UDScott will be rummaging through their garbage cans.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2019, 09:55 PM
General

Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute

Agree.

They may gel during the season, but it will take some time. No guarantees on the transfers. Need multiple good recruiting years. Next year is a step, not the destination.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:45 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Agree.

They may gel during the season, but it will take some time. No guarantees on the transfers. Need multiple good recruiting years. Next year is a step, not the destination.
I generally agree too, but I contend that the gelling process won’t take all year, or beyond. Consider:

-3 of next year’s newbies (Tsimanga, Chatman, and Watson) have had the chance to practice against our active players all season;
-Matos has been in the program all season (albeit injured for most of it); and
-Johnson has been in the fold for 2 full months now.

Plus, the 3 who’ve been available to practice all year would have been juniors in their old programs had they not transferred in. So, while there will be an adjustment period, it won’t be as bad as the one BG had to deal with in his 2nd season here, when we brought in 6 freshmen. I expect that the 4 who’ve been with us since the beginning of Fall practice will be pretty well-adjusted by the time we’re a third of the way through the conference schedule.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 01:07 AM
Major

Can we close this thread already we’re going to get in trouble with the ASPA for beating the poor horses to death.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:10 AM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
With that said, all of you supporters who are saying next year is THE YEAR and then we can judge him are really painting yourselves in a corner that I don't believe you should.
There is a difference in stating that many feel this is the case and if that isn't the case next year pulling a UDScott.

There are trends with players this season that give most the feeling that next year will be a good indicator of the future. To sit back and say that AGs legacy here will be defined by next season is foolish. What I will say is that with Matos back, Cohill developed more, and the incoming players...that the results will and rightfully should be better next year.

I don't think that is painting myself in a corner, but I also can choose to react differently than many posters on here who will simply write him off.

Next season should trend upward. If it doesn't, there will be major cause for concern heading into year 4. I do agree that by the end of 4, you better have a really good idea of where the program is headed or UD hoops is screwed. I am much more inclined to make that comment than an concrete prediction on their record and place 365 days from now.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:35 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,325 Times in 444 Posts
Runnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 312to937 View Post
Let them keep the Farrah Fawcett poster. Or UDScott will be rummaging through their garbage cans.
Posted via Mobile Device
UDScott is now googling who Farrah Fawcett is
Old 03-19-2019, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
UDScott is now googling who Farrah Fawcett is

I'll help him out...

cj (03-19-2019), CT Flyer (03-19-2019), Jeff (03-19-2019), TXFlyerFan (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 10:02 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,510 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
That was a very popular poster in Stuart Hall in 1976.
Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-13-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by TA111 View Post
That was a very popular poster in Stuart Hall in 1976.
My B-I-L is 55 and still has his framed poster hanging in his palatial basement.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:11 AM

Thanked 10,128 Times in 5,864 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 312to937 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Hell, I would fly up and rummage through their garbage cans.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:14 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,001 Times in 493 Posts
Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
The problem with young up and coming coaches is they end up at Georgia Tech or Clemson or Indiana when they have success at Dayton. It is ludicrous to base any judgment on Grant as UD's coach on the last two years. Last year he had dissension, privilege, and mediocre players to deal with. This year he had a rebuild and a 7 man roster to deal with. If the results are similar next year or the year after, I will put alot more credence in your opinions.
Mad Props to Flyers98 For This Totally Excellent Post:
steve (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 11:30 AM
Captain

Widget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond repute
I'll help him out...

I remember learning about her in my high school history class.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:26 PM
1st Lieutenant

foolishpride is a jewel in the roughfoolishpride is a jewel in the roughfoolishpride is a jewel in the rough
https://tenor.com/view/pizza-multipl...e-gif-11796547
Old 03-19-2019, 02:57 PM
General

I'll help him out...

Gold star! Or, should I say two gold stars!
Old 03-19-2019, 03:48 PM
Colonel

I'll help him out...

I’m 49 years old trust me I know who FF is
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to udscott For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 03:55 PM
General

throw away the Farrah Fawcett poster
Never!
Old 12-10-2019, 03:56 PM
Brigadier General

It’s a quiet week, no game until Saturday......

.........so I thought it might be fun to fast forward this thread 9 months.

My sincerest apologies to the board members who carry a lot of disdain for udscott, but it appears he’s not posted since last May/June.

I am sincerely interested in his/her (or their) thoughts on the season thus far.

Been very vocal when the results have been poor or mediocre, yet a ghost while in the middle of a hot stretch. Was kind of hoping you might demonstrate the ability to offer some positive vibe while we’re riding high.

Or maybe you changed your user name or established a new account?
Old 12-10-2019, 04:00 PM

Thanked 10,128 Times in 5,864 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
C'mon SLUFlyer, you posted this so we could all once again see the multiple shots of the FF poster.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CJ2etc (12-10-2019), Gazoo (12-10-2019), mikeymo85 (12-12-2019), SeasonTicketFan (12-10-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 04:17 PM

Thanked 3,138 Times in 795 Posts
John C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond repute
SLU,

You probably have noticed that the haters have slowed down across the board. They specifically come here to try to rain on our parade. I have never understood that personally. I don't go to Michigan boards when OSU does their normal trouncing. I guess there are just some people that like to twist the knife for no other reason than potentially causing grief to other people. It is sad.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to John C. For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (12-10-2019), SLUFLYER (12-10-2019), UD62 (12-10-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 04:51 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
C'mon SLUFlyer, you posted this so we could all once again see the multiple shots of the FF poster.
Forgive me, “FF poster”?
Old 12-10-2019, 04:52 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

oldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SLUFLYER View Post
.........so I thought it might be fun to fast forward this thread 9 months.

My sincerest apologies to the board members who carry a lot of disdain for udscott, but it appears he’s not posted since last May/June.

I am sincerely interested in his/her (or their) thoughts on the season thus far.

Been very vocal when the results have been poor or mediocre, yet a ghost while in the middle of a hot stretch. Was kind of hoping you might demonstrate the ability to offer some positive vibe while we’re riding high.

Or maybe you changed your user name or established a new account?
I for one hope I never see a post from them this year as it could only mean that the Flyers have lost a game.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to oldfan For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyerinChicago (12-10-2019), st marys (12-10-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 04:54 PM
General of the Air Force

ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
I'll help him out...

Just checking, is this the poster your all talking about?
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (12-11-2019), Flyers98 (12-10-2019), jack72 (12-10-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 05:07 PM
Brigadier General

My bad, sincerest apologies

I really hadn’t scoured this thread, title of the thread just caught my eye and I recalled how active and contested a thread it was. Forgot about the FF poster but am liking and thanking the visual trip down memory lane.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:09 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Widget View Post
I remember learning about her in my high school history class.
I learned about her in my high school health class
Old 12-10-2019, 05:22 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,001 Times in 493 Posts
Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
So why keep giving these guys oxygen? If they’re gone, I’m glad. Enjoy it. I come to this board for info and actual discussion about the best team we’ve had in a long long time, unfortunately there’s always a lot other stuff going on.

Anthony Grant is a big boy and he’s been around the block a couple times. He knows if he wins he’s in an awesome situation. If he doesn’t win enough he’ll be sending out resumes. The thing is the definition of “enough” winning will not be determined by this board and certainly not by the irrational people who demand his head when we lose a game or two or lets say, hypothetically, suggest that the team is playing well in spite of AG, (as I've seen in some tweets).
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyers98 For This Totally Excellent Post:
TX Flyer (12-10-2019), UD62 (12-10-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 07:11 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

The first few years did AG really do anything to make you believe otherwise? No. This year, he gets a pass for not making the national championship and only get them to a final four
Old 12-10-2019, 07:25 PM
Major

UDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant future
UDScott has been an habitual bummer - please don't try to resurrect or encourage more trashy posts.

If our members want to evaluate AG's performance...let's start another post that doesn't have the "village idiot" as the initiator of the thread.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDTradition For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyercasey (12-10-2019), SLUFLYER (12-10-2019), UD62 (12-10-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 07:39 PM

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Definition of "success"...

Originally Posted by Flyers98 View Post
So why keep giving these guys oxygen? If they’re gone, I’m glad. Enjoy it. I come to this board for info and actual discussion about the best team we’ve had in a long long time, unfortunately there’s always a lot other stuff going on.

Anthony Grant is a big boy and he’s been around the block a couple times. He knows if he wins he’s in an awesome situation. If he doesn’t win enough he’ll be sending out resumes. The thing is the definition of “enough” winning will not be determined by this board and certainly not by the irrational people who demand his head when we lose a game or two or lets say, hypothetically, suggest that the team is playing well in spite of AG, (as I've seen in some tweets).
I am reminded of the Kissell/Wabler era. Both defined UD BB "success" and expectations thereof as "getting to the NCAAs `more often than not' and winning when you get there".

My interpretation of "more often than not" is playing in the NCAAs at least five times over a decade...at least...and making it to the Sweet 16 in about half the NCAA appearances, e.g., three times in a decade.

A key element of the Kissell/Wabler definition is consistency....being good essentially all the time, evidence of that being regular NCAA appearance and success as explained above.

Some UD peers have managed to achieve and sustain the program goal Kissell/Wabler spoke of, e.g., Villanova, Gonzaga, Xavier. It's easier to do if you have a long-time coach and/or if your program is thought of as a "destination job". But that is not absolutely necessary. Re the three schools mentioned above, the VU coaching position is a destination job, GU has enjoyed a long-time coach while XU has succeeded even with much coaching turnover.

It ain't easy. But there is solid evidence that it's possible...and we have all the resources needed.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:55 PM

Thanked 2,377 Times in 809 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
I think those programs — at least Nova and X — are more like four out of every five years. Let’s aim that high.