Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Rubber Match
Rubber Match
Jim Meadows
Published by Swampy Meadows
03-11-2010
Rubber Match

BEVERLY HILLS (MI) -- So it all comes down to this, eh? Whichever squad is left standing after Eggsavior and UD square off in their rubber match at 6:30PM on Friday night in AC gets to play on and retains bragging rights. The loser gets to go home to Ohio, just when things start to get interesting.

If you consult every paper-writing HS student’s best friend Wikipedia, it will tell you that a “rubber match” is defined thusly:

“In boxing, mixed martial arts, and other combat sports, a rubber match is the third fight between two fighters after the first two matches have been split.”

Very apropos, wouldn’t you say?

I really have to chuckle at all of the Eggs knuckleheads proclaiming Eczema the “2010 Atlantic 10 Champion” on any message board that will have them, including ours here at UD Pride.

Excuse me?

What about Temple?

The Owls finished 14-2 just like the Mouskies did, but more importantly, Temple beat Eggs in their lone head-to-head meeting.

Which means that if anyone is the “regular season A-10 winner” it is Temple and not the Musties.

That’s why they call it a tie-breaker and in this case, the Eggs get cracked and cooked over-easy.

The whole “regular-season champs” claim is total BS anyway, since the Atlantic 10 has always considered the winner of the post-season tournament to be the official Atlantic 10 Conference Champion.

And in order to make that claim, the school to the south will first have to go thru Dayton to get there.

Which is as it should be.

Speaking of Championships, there is one claim to fame that the Dayton Flyers can make that their intrastate rivals cannot:

The University of Dayton has played in the NCAA National Championship Game.

Xavier University has not.

I can hear the howling emanating from Norwood already:

“Yeah, but that was 43 years ago, so what?”

“Yeah, but Xavier has sent more players to the NBA!”

“Yeah, but I wasn’t even alive back then!”

“Yeah, but…yeah, but…yeah, but.”

Well, I was alive then and yes, it was a very big deal. Led by All-American Don May, the “Cinderella Flyers” faced off against, arguably, the best college team, player and coach in NCAA history: the UCLA Bruins, led by Lew Alcindor (now Kareem Abdul Jabbar) and coached by the legendary John Wooden.

When you walk into the north side of UD Arena there is a picture of Dan Obravac, UD’s unheralded sophomore center, winning the opening tip of that game from Alcindor. Unfortunately, that was the highlight of the game for the Flyer Faithful, but who cares? The fact remains: they were there.

X fans can complain all they want, but nothing they say will ever alter the fact that the Dayton Flyers have played in the ultimate college basketball game and their team never has.

Okay, so let’s take a look at the first two meetings this season between the combatants, shall we?

-- X beat UD at the Sphinctas Center by 4 in a game in which the Mouseketeers were out-rebounded, out-hustled and out-played, with a couple of answered prayers by Jordan Crawford providing the difference.

-- In the rematch at UD Arena, the Flyers blew their rivals out of the building and into the Miami River by 25, a game in which even Chris Smack had to admit that his team got out-played and out-coached.

So, let’s assume that UD’s home court advantage at UD Arena is worth 10 points.

25 (UD margin of victory) minus 10 equals 15;

15 plus 4 (X margin of victory) is 19;

Divide by 2 (for the number of games) and you get 9 ½.

“From the Swamp” prediction:

Flyboys 73 ½

Norwood U 64

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
By superfan99 on 03-11-2010, 08:10 AM
That is some fuzzy math.

I would have subtracted the 4 point X margin of victory.
15-4=11. Divided by 2= 5.5 point predicted win for UD.

According to your math, if X would have beat us by 20 at X you would have predicted an even bigger win for us Friday.

Sorry, I am a enginerd...uh engineer.
By MrFlyerFanatic on 03-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Another enginerd

Originally Posted by superfan99 View Post
That is some fuzzy math.

I would have subtracted the 4 point X margin of victory.
15-4=11. Divided by 2= 5.5 point predicted win for UD.

According to your math, if X would have beat us by 20 at X you would have predicted an even bigger win for us Friday.

Sorry, I am a enginerd...uh engineer.
Additionally, some advantage for _avier at Cintas needs to be considered.
For simplicity, also call it ten points. 4-10= -6
15-(-6)=21. Divide by 2= 10.5 point predicted win for UD which happens to be the same as (25-4)/2 taking out the home court advantage numbers.
By Swampy Meadows on 03-11-2010, 12:57 PM
You guys are questioning the math skills of a Comm Arts major? There is a pointless exercise for ya.
By UACFlyer on 03-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Gut check...

...may be true Swampy. But, when the rubber meets the road, while my heart is with the Flyers, my money is with Xavier.

Oh, oh,...how I would love to lose some money!

UAC
By chriscage on 03-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Swampy's best

Swampy, you have outdone yourself. That was the most amusing post ever!
By XFactor on 03-13-2010, 12:41 AM
Can't wait for your next article Swampy. Enjoy the NIT. Hopefully you'll mature a little in the offseason.
By REF on 03-13-2010, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by XFactor View Post
Can't wait for your next article Swampy. Enjoy the NIT. Hopefully you'll mature a little in the offseason.
He's the best name-caller they can find. Why do you think they have him write these articles? He's a brat that's never grown up - perfect!
By goodenchiladas on 03-13-2010, 10:53 AM
The Atlantic 10 does recognize regular season championships, including co-champions: http://www.atlantic10.com/sports/m-b...030610aac.html

Temple "claimed a share of their ninth A-10 regular season crown."
Xavier "earned a share of the regular season title."

I suspect if Dayton finished 14-2 as you predicted, you would be all too willing to give Dayton credit for sharing a regular season championship with Temple.

As far as the name calling goes, neither side of this rivalry can or should claim any moral superiority. Some of the things written, words spoken and actions by fans and representatives of both sides are cringeworthy, the article above included.
Comment

Article Tools