User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-17-2020, 02:03 PM
General

Thanked 4,345 Times in 2,136 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
cbs' top 68 programs of all time

CBS/Matt Norlander is starting a 3 day series where he has ranked the top 68 programs since the inception of the NCAA tournament (1938 IIRC).

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ime-nos-68-51/

My first thought was, UD makes it, right? Then I started reading the bios of the first handful of teams and thought, well maybe not. I do know they don't make the top 51, do they make the top 50?

Things I didn't really realize, for comparison sake, UD has 22 top 60 NBA draft picks (if I counted correctly) which is more than I realized and about to climb. Being an independent for so long hurt the regular season championships (is that regular season or postseason tournament?, they don't say). 18 NCAA tournament appearances which compares favorably to #51 Washington, 114 weeks ranked, which is double #60 Utep but behind most of the schools listed in today's release. Obviously the Flyers have the final 4/championship game, plus the 3 NIT titles.

I expect them to be somewhere in tomorrow's list (50-26), though no clue where. Wonder how many of our fellow A-10 brethren will be with us, where former rivals may appear, etc...
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (11-17-2020), moville (11-17-2020)
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2020, 02:16 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,695 Times in 2,512 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
We need to remember that the Flyers have the most wins of any program in the 50’s and 60’s.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:01 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Columbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting ... quick scan of media guide:

-- Record since '38-39: 1,395 - 883 (0.612), better than most
-- NBA: 28 players taken in rounds 1-5
-- Not sure about weeks in AP, but we ranked #76 in this exercise in 2017. Last season helped:
https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...ams-based-poll
-- NCAA appearances: 18
-- Final Fours: 1
-- Atlantic 10 Regular Season Championships: 6 (1998, 2000, 2004, 2016, 2017, 2020)

https://www.coachesdatabase.com/dayt...rs-basketball/

I'd expect us to be in the high 30's or 40's, for whatever that's worth.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:31 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
The only thing I can tell you is that numbers 1 through 4 should include UCLA, KY, Duke and UNC. If I see anything else, I'll be surprised.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:57 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,343 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
The only thing I can tell you is that numbers 1 through 4 should include UCLA, KY, Duke and UNC. If I see anything else, I'll be surprised.
Next two after that needs to definitely include Indiana and Kansas.
Old 11-18-2020, 01:18 PM
General

Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Indiana is a courious case, not sure what they were before the General got there, but in the time since, a relatively "Johnny come lately" UConn has accomplished significantly more in the last couple of decades. Kansas would be up there. Cincy is likely top 15. Ohio State? Where do Gonzaga and Butlers recent history put them? Nova has some history and a ton of recent top end success.

What about the Dons? Ton of success early on, then again with Bill Russell, then again with Bill Cartwright.

The interesting method to this, is how to weight the success of the 40-60s NIT champions vs the NCAA champions of that same era compared to the NCAA champions of the 80s-today compared to the NIT champions of today. Where does one draw the line between the NIT being more important vs the NCAA tournament being more important? Its pretty clear the NCAA is a mile better than the NIT today, but I don't get the impresson that the NIT was a mile better than the NCAA back in "the day" Am I wrong with that line of thinking, well before my time.

Top 10 guess:

Kentucky
UCLA
Carolina
Duke
Kansas
UConn
Indiana
L'Ville
Nova
Mich. State
Old 11-18-2020, 01:40 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,343 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
Top 10 guess:

Kentucky
UCLA
Carolina
Duke
Kansas
UConn
Indiana
L'Ville
Nova
Mich. State
I like your list. Much like Indiana, before Jim Calhoun, UConn was not much to speak of either. They obviously made up for some wasted time in the past 30 years but their past history is not all that stellar. Heck at the beginning of the Big East they were an also ran for quite a while before ascending to the top.
Old 11-18-2020, 03:36 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
Indiana is a courious case, not sure what they were before the General got there, but in the time since, a relatively "Johnny come lately" UConn has accomplished significantly more in the last couple of decades. Kansas would be up there. Cincy is likely top 15. Ohio State? Where do Gonzaga and Butlers recent history put them? Nova has some history and a ton of recent top end success.

What about the Dons? Ton of success early on, then again with Bill Russell, then again with Bill Cartwright.

The interesting method to this, is how to weight the success of the 40-60s NIT champions vs the NCAA champions of that same era compared to the NCAA champions of the 80s-today compared to the NIT champions of today. Where does one draw the line between the NIT being more important vs the NCAA tournament being more important? Its pretty clear the NCAA is a mile better than the NIT today, but I don't get the impresson that the NIT was a mile better than the NCAA back in "the day" Am I wrong with that line of thinking, well before my time.

Top 10 guess:

Kentucky
UCLA
Carolina
Duke
Kansas
UConn
Indiana
L'Ville
Nova
Mich. State
Nice list, and then to follow? I think Syracuse, Oklahoma, Michigan, Ohio State, Virginia, Cincinnati, Purdue and Florida off the top of my head(not in that order mind you).

I'm sure I'm missing a few more, but soon after you start looking at the sporadic successful teams and Dayton would probably fall toward the end of that list. Afterall, when it comes to decades, 50s and 60s stand out for us, with 2010s following(and not nearly as successful as the other two). That means the 70s, 2000s(our next two most successful decades), 80s and 90s just didn't have much to write home about other than 74, 84 and 90.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:59 PM
Major

bigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud of
We are no. 49.
Mad Props to bigred For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDEE79 (11-18-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 06:13 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,080 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bigred View Post
We are no. 49.
Our article ends with "Dayton's showing here is the highest for the conference."

Then St. Joes shows up at #45.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:37 PM
General

Originally Posted by UDEE79 View Post
Our article ends with "Dayton's showing here is the highest for the conference."

When I see Tennessee with zero final fours one spot ahead of Florida with 5 final fours, I quit taking this list seriously.
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bill McPeek (11-18-2020), Columbia Blue (11-18-2020), CT Flyer (11-20-2020), Flyer 86 (11-18-2020), jack72 (11-18-2020), Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-19-2020), OSU Flyer (11-18-2020), TX Flyer (11-19-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 10:32 PM

Thanked 6,180 Times in 4,207 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDEE79 View Post

SJU is ahead of us, I am very surprised. I guess SJU must have a lot of history that I am not aware of.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:15 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,198 Times in 584 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
St. Joe's has a pretty storied past. One name that comes to mind is coach Jack Ramsey, who, by the way, is (was as he's deceased) JOB's father-in-law! He had some real good teams at St. Joe's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Ramsay
Old 11-19-2020, 01:07 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Columbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Also overlooked our 2010 NIT title over North Carolina. Maybe not our greatest modern accomplishment, but still noteworthy.

Not very well researched, but better included than not. Go Flyers!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ime-nos-50-26/
Old 11-19-2020, 02:08 AM
General

Originally Posted by Columbia Blue View Post
Also overlooked our 2010 NIT title over North Carolina. Maybe not our greatest modern accomplishment, but still noteworthy.

Not very well researched, but better included than not. Go Flyers!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ime-nos-50-26/
Some time after the 60s, the NIT has become irrelevant to lists ranking teams and programs. Let's face it, winning the NIT is worse than being an at large NCAA team that loses in the round of 64. It's a consolation tournament. I have no problem not having it included in the resume. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice little tournament that allows you to see more games of your favorite team play against other decent teams not in your conference, and winning it is a nice accomplishment, but it's one of those double edged swords, it's not a tournament you would want to win more than once in any long period of time.

Making the NIT for any teams making this list is considered a failure as far as seasons are concerned. Not a total failure, but a failure just the same. Those one and dones in 1999, 2002 and 2003 mean more to me than the 2010 NIT championship. I'm pretty sure if you ask anyone at random who won the 2010 NIT championship, only fans of 2 teams would be able to give you an answer, Dayton and UNC.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:04 AM

Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,080 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
UNC fans wouldn’t even know. If I am wearing my NIT championship tee they would however😂. Everyone thinks you are worse than 68 b’auto bids it’s not true. It actually that you are worse than 40 something teams. Furthermore if you aren’t in a power 5 conference the bar is a little bit higher. A final thing about our NIT title is that we played three games on the road which elevates your opponents strength significantly. I remember going through Sagarin ratings and finding that our wins were beating higher rated teams than Xaxier did in the big dance that year.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDEE79 For This Totally Excellent Post:
JimBo (11-19-2020), Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-19-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 10:17 AM
General

While I agree the NIT championship isn't anything worth bragging about, but..... Dang that run was fun. How often do we get to see UD win games @ Illinois, @ UC and twice in the Garden (including one over North Carolina)? The run itself, the teams they beat, the places they won is what makes that championship so much fun. Had the wins all come over mid-level p5 teams or other teams situated similar to UD (ie St Mary's, SD State, etc..) it wouldn't have been near as fun.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (11-19-2020), JimBo (11-19-2020), John C. (11-19-2020), Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-19-2020), udflyerfan (11-19-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 01:05 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,538 Times in 783 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
SJU is ahead of us, I am very surprised. I guess SJU must have a lot of history that I am not aware of.
Jesuit connections again . . . .
Old 11-19-2020, 02:02 PM
General

Originally Posted by N2663R View Post
Jesuit connections again . . . .
When comparing accomplishments SJ comes out ahead of Dayton slightly in most areas. When it comes to conference regular season and tournament championships(I realize that UD being independent for so long has a lot to do with this) and especially NBA players, they tower over UD.

Dayton has 3 things that hurt it when it comes to the criteria used for lists like this. One is that Blackburn refused the NCAA tournament. 2nd is that they stayed independent so long(less conference accomplishments) and 3rd is that they when they did have great success, they did it with great coaching and chemistry rather than NBA type superstars.