User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-08-2015, 03:10 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
You and Bilas missed the followup -

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...s-celebrations
The NCAA interpretation contradicts the motives of the Monmouth players. NCAA is calling it spontaneous and therefore, no harm, all fun.

According to the players themselves (from ESPN story):

"Pillari, along with teammates Greg Noack, Tyler Robinson and Louie Pillari, staged bench meetings following their scout team meetings to discuss possibilities for the upcoming game. In total, they have upward of 23 celebrations to choose from. On any given night, they might go into a game with 12 or 13 in their back pockets, and sometimes they might throw it all to the wind and let improv rule the celebration."

Spontaneous? Or scripted?
Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
longtimefan (12-08-2015)
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2015, 03:10 PM
Major

udflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond repute
Sad really

This Monmouth team is really good. Not Elite 8 or Final 4 good but good enough to cause headaches on the 1st weekend of the tournament. They have an absolutely top shelf player and all the media and fans want to talk about is the freaking walkons and wannabes. Beating UCLA and Notre Dame isn't even the biggest story of the young season for this team because the clowns on the end of the bench have to go all Saturday Night Live. Sure, it's funny, but I guaran-dam-tee Arch/Roy/Mike/Tom/John would annihilate one of his bench players for not "acting like you've been there".

Maybe it's ok because they've never been there before, but I'd want my team to act like it belongs beating UCLA and ND. Anything less shows that you really don't belong there.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to udflyerhoops2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (12-09-2015), Gazoo (12-08-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 03:46 PM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
I know it's been hashed already, but while I appreciate the enthusiasm of the college crowd I would prefer that the clowns in the side show take off their uniforms and put on cheerleader unis. Then I would have absolutely no problem with it. But if you're on the team--bench player or not--you're taunting.

It's a lot like the punter talking trash while hiding behind is O-linemen. I realize these guys are doing much more "celebrating" than outright "taunting" but how about these clowns play a minute or 2 and we'll see how much celebrating they do.

It's funny when the mascot does it because we all know he's not wearing a uniform and hightops, no chance he'll check into the game.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:01 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,011 Posts
xubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond repute
Most of you have obviously never been to a college softball game. I think Monmouth's bench is doing is in that same spirit. In fact I actually think they may have stolen some of that from softball teams. Why it would annoy so many people who aren't in any way effected by it is beyond me. Personally, it's not my style. Neither is all the cheering and dancing and chanting that goes on in the dugouts at a softball game. But, if it works for them, then great!! Do it!! I'm not going to spend any time at all being annoyed by it or ****ed off about it, and kind of find it perplexing that anyone would. Really, who cares??

They really shot themselves in the foot when they lost at Canisius, BTW.

Last edited by xubrew; 12-08-2015 at 04:10 PM..
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to xubrew For This Totally Excellent Post:
CJ2etc (12-09-2015), Flyer 86 (12-08-2015), Garson (12-08-2015), Glen Clark (12-08-2015), ud69 (12-09-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 06:05 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Steve has some weaknesses, but he far exceeds my expectations, and probably most of you, of what he would be like in the first ten games of his frosh year. Several things impress me, but three of those are: how well he sees the floor and passes (two great assists last game), and his 64% shooting percentage and his team leading rebounds per game. Quite a big step up from guys who did not score (or make layups) or rebound, but we justified because they they did the little things.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CJ2etc (12-09-2015), Flyer 86 (12-08-2015), FLYER5 (12-09-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 07:22 PM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Archie had interesting comments about Steve on the radio show. First, he said they are a different and better team with him on the floor. They are working on keeping him out of foul trouble. Second, he said Steve can go to his right on the right side but is struggling to go to his left towards the middle on the right side. He said Steve can go to his left from the left side. Third, Steve is an excellent passer. Fourth, Steve needs to develop lower body strength to better hold positioning the low post. Finally he said Steve is a very hard worker.

Steve has a way to go, but his offense and defense are way ahead of any freshman post player I remember.
Posted via Mobile Device
10 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
1in25 (12-08-2015), Bill McPeek (12-09-2015), CJ2etc (12-09-2015), Flyer 86 (12-08-2015), FLYER5 (12-09-2015), fuz_forward (12-09-2015), jack72 (12-09-2015), Lifelong Flyer Fan (12-08-2015), Radar (12-09-2015), shocka43 (12-08-2015)
Old 12-09-2015, 07:18 AM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,927 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute

Rush the Court thinks Bilas was guilty of a minor trolling infraction:

By now all of you are familiar with Jay Bilas and his penchant for trying to pick fights with the NCAA. Still his tweet yesterday that his “sources” had told him that the NCAA was discussing enacting new policies to limit bench celebrations was a little bit much even by his standards. David Worlock quickly squelched those rumors by saying that the NCAA had merely responded to questions regarding rules interpretations of bench celebrations and that those celebrations were not interfering with the games. We are sure that Bilas will try to argue that he was not incorrect (technically the NCAA may have had discussions about it based on the questions), but the overall nature of his tweet and many others like it seem to have devolved into nothing more than trolling the NCAA, which is approaching Bayless/Trump levels at this point. We can’t really fault Bilas for this because he has parlayed this into a very profitable venture that has made him into a media personality despite his livelihood essentially being profiting off the work of the same individuals he says continue to be exploited. The NCAA has plenty of issues that should be fixed so it doesn’t need trolls making up stories like this for their own personal gain.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (12-09-2015), Medford (12-09-2015), Radar (12-09-2015)
Old 12-09-2015, 09:11 AM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
^^^

You know that last part is an aspect I had never thought of before. Bilas does rail on the NCAA a lot and complains how the "exploit" the talents of these kids w/o giving them fair compensation; Rush the Court is correct that Bilas, essentially does the same thing just in a more subtle, less direct manner. I wonder if he's ever pondered that before.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:55 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for reminding me why I stopped following Bilas on Twitter.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:25 PM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post
Rush the Court thinks Bilas was guilty of a minor trolling infraction:

By now all of you are familiar with Jay Bilas and his penchant for trying to pick fights with the NCAA. Still his tweet yesterday that his “sources” had told him that the NCAA was discussing enacting new policies to limit bench celebrations was a little bit much even by his standards. David Worlock quickly squelched those rumors by saying that the NCAA had merely responded to questions regarding rules interpretations of bench celebrations and that those celebrations were not interfering with the games. We are sure that Bilas will try to argue that he was not incorrect (technically the NCAA may have had discussions about it based on the questions), but the overall nature of his tweet and many others like it seem to have devolved into nothing more than trolling the NCAA, which is approaching Bayless/Trump levels at this point. We can’t really fault Bilas for this because he has parlayed this into a very profitable venture that has made him into a media personality despite his livelihood essentially being profiting off the work of the same individuals he says continue to be exploited. The NCAA has plenty of issues that should be fixed so it doesn’t need trolls making up stories like this for their own personal gain.
Yes, he's trolling.

No, there's no more deserving of an organization than the NCAA.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:35 PM
General

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Offensively, what we're finding out little by little is that Steve has no offensive moves at all...none. But he as great vision and passes well.

Defensively, we're seeing that teams who don't attack the basket every possession don't fear him.

He's a project.

And does he have the skinniest legs on the team? I've seen Victoria Secret runway models with thicker legs!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlMz...ature=youtu.be

0:08 mark. If he has no moves, Huelsman had a negative number of moves.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
John C. (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 02:46 PM

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post

0:08 mark. If he has no moves, Huelsman had a negative number of moves.
Did not matter that Huelsman had no moves, he could not make 50% of his layups.

The other great move by Steve was early in the game when he got the ball down low and went to his right for a left handed hook.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:56 PM

Thanked 15,877 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post

0:08 mark.

He has no moves...unless you consider an off balance 1-handed hook a 'move'.

The move he makes at 0:08 is exactly what I describe above...so once again, I am royally correct!

With that said, he's twice as good as I hoped.

Last edited by rollo; 12-23-2015 at 05:18 PM..
Old 12-23-2015, 11:10 PM
General

The move he makes at 0:08 is exactly what I describe above...so once again, I am royally correct!

With that said, he's twice as good as I hoped.
Best adjust your specs. The guy bodies him, he collects himself, and goes up ON BALANCE.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (12-24-2015)