Article Tools Display Modes
That's a Fact, Jack!
That's a Fact, Jack!
Jim Meadows
Published by Swampy Meadows
01-10-2008
Smile That's a Fact, Jack!

BEVERLY HILLS (MI) –- Just the facts, ma’am:

-- I’m a little (actually, make that a lot) tired of X fans saying that Mouskie recruit Brad Redford is a serious candidate for Michigan’s “Mr. Basketball” award. He’s not. Redford’s Frankenmuth HS team is in an inferior league and he puts up big numbers against weak competition, whereas UD recruit Paul Williams and his Renaissance pals play in the always-tough Detroit Public School league.

-- Don’t want to believe me? Here is what Detroit News HS hoops blogger Tim Twentyman (yup, that’s his real name) has to say:

Mr. Basketball

“Before the season even started, Saginaw's Draymond Green was anointed this season's Mr. Basketball by every major paper, including ours. Everyone gave him the award before the season even started. Yes, he was the favorite coming into the season, but is he playing the best basketball right now? Watch out for Detroit Renaissance's Paul Williams. Williams has scored 38 (Cody), 37 (King) and 31 (Henry Ford) over the last two weeks and has guided the Phoenix to an early 8-1 record. Williams (Dayton) has been dominant and is scoring in so many different ways. Williams led Renaissance to a 74-63 victory over Cody on Tuesday and after the game, Cody coach Bryan Tipton had this to say about Williams: "I thought Manny Harris (last year's Mr. Basketball from Redford) was tough last year, but this guy is on another level. He really turned it up. He was going to the basket and shooting jump shots and knocking down free throws. He really, really has it going right now." I didn't see it in person, but I heard from a reliable source that Green had an unstellar 16 points against Saginaw Arthur Hill Tuesday. Dare I say that It's not just a one man race anymore.”

-- Completely OT and totally non-Flyer related, there is simply no other way to express it: the following is one f*cked up story, courtesy of UD’s new best sportswriter buddy, Gary Parrish at CBS Sportsline:

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebas...story/10567327

-- I don’t know about you, but I say ‘bravo’ to Drew Lavender and X for telling Rivals.com that they could keep their “Mid-Major Player of the Week” award:

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/...asp?CID=759725

-- If you are a “Child of the ‘60s” like I am, you no doubt remember what a sensation “Jesus Christ Superstar” made when it first came out. One of the most memorable songs from the musical is “Gethsemane” and to my ear, no one delivers it with the power and emotion that Steve Balsamo does:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTMm6Vzvcp8

-- Anybody out there looking for the ultimate pick ‘em up truck? Here you go: a custom 1937 Hudson Terraplane PU, which started life as a 4 door sedan, just like the one I used to tool around in at UD during my senior year:

http://www.autabuy.com/Vehicles/Details.cfm?VID=200448

-- I loved the thread on the Atlantic 10 MB entitled “FU Juan Bid.” It’s lookin’ more and more like the ‘Oceanic Dozen Plus Two’ might be talkin’ 4 bids this year.

-- Somebody named “RudyFlyer” was inciting a minor riot on the ProJo URI MB by bringing up the fact that the Rams were 275th in the nation in “Points Allowed” before UD and Rhody squared off. Now we know why.

-- It’s been a while since I’ve had a headlight burn out on a car. This probably stems from the fact that I’ve always leased cars and they’re long-gone by the time stuff like that starts occurring. The Sebring convertible I’m wheeling these days was purchased used, so it happened. I’m used to having to replace the entire headlamp, which could end up pointing at the trees if you didn’t align it properly. Not any more: now you just buy the bulb and the electronic connection that goes with it. No muss, no fuss.

-- Excuse me? eBay is auctioning a game-worn (and signed) wristband by Jeanette (PA) HS QB phenom Terrelle Pryor, with a starting bid of $347? You gotta be sh*ttin’ me? Interestingly enuf, Pryor is down to a final two of Michigan and tOSU for his college choice, with new Maize and Blue field general Rich Rodriguez seen as having a slight advantage.

-- There’s drunk; there’s sh*tfaced and then there’s this: an unbelievable .72 on the Drunk-O-Meter or a mind-numbing nine times the legal limit! The Smoking Gun (which I used to sell in my Court TV days) is there:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...10084dui1.html

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
By San Diego Flyer on 01-20-2008, 05:23 PM
Paul Williams sure sounds like he is going to be Mr. Excitement in the Arena.

The Tim Parmeter article is surreal. It belongs in True Detective. It toys with the worst character flaws humans can have, including Parmeter. The level of candidness makes me wonder about Parrish. Where is the value? Why even print it?
By nyc_xu on 03-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Don't quit your day job
By Swampy Meadows on 03-11-2008, 07:45 AM
See you Thursday.
By backtolife on 03-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Swampy... I am really suprised Green didn't win it?

The always give Mr. Basketball to a UofM or MSU recruit.

Here is the link from a March 10 article with Redford announced as Mr. Basketball.

http://blog.mlive.com/saginaw_sports...edford_of.html
Last edited by backtolife; 03-14-2008 at 09:03 PM..
By Swampy Meadows on 03-15-2008, 10:45 AM
backtolife:

So am I. I got drilled on the A-10 MB by a bunch of X lightweights for saying Redford wouldn't win.

I'm looking forward to MJ and PW knocking those 3 pointers back in Redford's face for the next few years.
Comment

Article Tools