» Advertisement
Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Small World
Small World
Published by Swampy Meadows
05-11-2016
Small World

BEVERLY HILLS (MI) -- In case you wondered where “FTS” has been hiding lately, the short answer is:

On the road

In the past few months “FTS” has hung our hat in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico; Houston (twice); Chicago; Erie, PA and for the last two weeks, Sanibel Island and Clearwater Beach, FL. Next week it’ll be San Antonio.

Unlike some unnamed websites that will foist a “Sponsored Post” upon their readers during the off-season because they are too **** lazy to write anything, UD Pride will continue to proudly subject its readers to the barely comprehensible ramblings of an itinerant minion -- me.

Perhaps the biggest question when travelling is what airline should you fly? The obvious answer is ‘the one with whom you have frequent flyer miles.’ Beyond that, I’m all about the non-stop flight. Took Delta straight from Metro to Mexico. Same deal with Houston on Spirit. Had to make stops both ways on Southwest to Florida and will have to do likewise next week to Texas.

I have mixed feelings on Spirit Airlines. If you don’t have to check any bags, they are great -- print up your boarding pass; show up at the gate and you are good to go. However if you are packing for an extended stay, be prepared to wait in the longest check-in lines known to man. It is painful…and time consuming. My biggest complaint with Spirit is the incessant nickel and diming to which they subject their passengers. Spirit calls it “unbundling”…I call it BS:

http://www.unbundlers.com/

Want to sit in a seat? Pay ‘em.

Want to carry on a bag? Pay ‘em.

Want anything beyond a cup of water? Pay ‘em.

Want to change flights? Pay ‘em $150.

Want to catch a flight on a different airline because your missed your Spirit flight or it was cancelled? Good luck –the other airlines won’t work with Spirit.

Spirit’s fares may initially be low but when you add in all of the above, they aren’t any cheaper than Southwest. Unbundle this.

Had an interesting experience as I was going thru TSA Security at Detroit Metro on my way to Houston. I went thru the radar scanner and the officer asked me to stop so he could check something. He then stated “I know you.” Oh geez, I thought to myself, what is this all about? Turns out it was Kenny, one of my old Birmingham YMCA hoops buddies who had joined the TSA in what he called his “second retirement job.”

Small world!

Ever wonder what happens if you forget to put your cell phone on “airplane mode” during a flight?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...m_content=link

Cleaners and staff reveal what really happens it hotel rooms:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-n...?ICID=ref_fark

Yours truly won’t be traveling to Cedar Point to ride on this thing any time soon:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...m_content=link

Discriminating travelers always bring their own TP. Here is my brand of preference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRlBtabKRFM

One of the few weekends that I wasn’t on the road, I got together with my old UD roomie, Steve Downes, the retired morning drive jock on “The Drive” in Chicago and the voice of Master Chief in the hit video game Halo. Downes was in Motown for a Comic-Con-type convention where he gets paid a nice chunk of money so fans can see and hear the voice of their favorite character. I reminded Steve how we almost were not roommates right before our senior year was set to begin. Downes and I were supposed to live in a nice house at the corner of Lowes and Lawnview but our other knucklehead roomies got kicked out over the summer, so we had to scramble. We had just secured a place at Foreman Court up off of Stewart Street when Steve got a call from WCOL-FM in Columbus, offering him the overnight slot. When I brought this up over breakfast Downes asked “How do you remember this stuff?” As it turned out there was NFW Steve’s mom and dad were going to let him drop out of UD to take a job as an overnight DJ. Which was fine with me.

Ironically, 3 years later another WVUD personality did drop out of UD to take the overnight job at COL-FM when it was offered to him: Bill Pugh (brother of Dan Patrick), who finally graduated from Dayton on Sunday:

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/new...-sunday/nrJJs/

Small world, indeed!

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
By moville on 05-11-2016, 04:27 PM
My son, a Santa Clara grad, but UD at heart . . . was living in Chicago a few years ago - working in advertising on the State Farm account with "Da Bears" and Aaron Rodgers . . . on his car radio he had the station Steve Downes worked at . . . said this is a great station. I told him, your mom worked with Steve in 1970-71 at THE radio station . . . WVUD. Why TF did the U ever sell it? That's the only problem I have ever had with Brother Fitz. Hope all is well Swamp.
By TX Flyer on 05-14-2016, 02:56 PM
I'd rather read Blackburns stupid post that has something meaningful in regards to basketball than what airline you want to fly on. Also, we here in San Antonio hope you stay is short so we don't have to read about it. This isnt tripadvisor.
Comment

Article Tools