UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball > Archived Seasonal Game Threads > 2011-2012 Game Threads

2011-2012 Game Threads Specific threads dedicated to each home and away game for UD Men's Basketball.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,133 Times in 5,867 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Not that it matters in winning or losing, but JB must have had about 6 dunks today. Anyone know?
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2011, 06:59 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
The offense continues to be much better. The ball movement and motion really helps Benson. He doesn't have to score off a post up or off the bounce. The movement gets Kavs to the offensive boards.

Second half shows they can play d if they put their mind to it. No adjustments made (at least substantial) other than play harder.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-12-2011)
Old 11-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Major

TheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to behold
I've been yelling at the tv/radio for years for them to play inside out, extremely satisfying to see it in action
Mad Props to TheDuke2003 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (11-13-2011)
Old 11-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Colonel

tirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond repute
I followed the first half at work, then I had to take care of some other stuff, and when I got home and saw 87-58 I thought it was a misprint.

We outscored them in the second half 46-20? What changed at the half?

Looks like Archie lit a fire and made some changes, but what changed?

If Archie keeps this up he will truly be a hero in my eyes.

By the way, Kav with only one foul in 25 minutes?

Also, they shot 17-21 freethrows and we shot 3-4?

At least they can't say they got homered by the refs. I'm glad to see us shoot 75% but I worry that maybe we could have drawn a few more fouls with aggressive drives. Mostly settled for outside shots and uncontested layups? Gametracker says we did score 50 points in the paint.

Overall, I was really worried at halftime, but very impressed with the 2nd half. This is probably the start of a real rollercoaster season.

I love the thrills of rollercoasters, myself.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:50 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Was Western as good as Findlay?
Old 11-12-2011, 08:04 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,053 Times in 471 Posts
UD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bill McPeek View Post
I think Bucky's right.....WI does look tired
WI did look tired in the 2nd half. I noticed ~5 WI players sitting on the bench during the game. They were short staffed (like us) and slowed their pace in the 2nd half.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:13 PM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tirebiter View Post
I followed the first half at work, then I had to take care of some other stuff, and when I got home and saw 87-58 I thought it was a misprint.

We outscored them in the second half 46-20? What changed at the half?

Looks like Archie lit a fire and made some changes, but what changed?

If Archie keeps this up he will truly be a hero in my eyes.

By the way, Kav with only one foul in 25 minutes?

Also, they shot 17-21 freethrows and we shot 3-4?

At least they can't say they got homered by the refs. I'm glad to see us shoot 75% but I worry that maybe we could have drawn a few more fouls with aggressive drives. Mostly settled for outside shots and uncontested layups? Gametracker says we did score 50 points in the paint.

Overall, I was really worried at halftime, but very impressed with the 2nd half. This is probably the start of a real rollercoaster season.

I love the thrills of rollercoasters, myself.
WI played pretty clean. Most of our fouls were picked up because of slow rotation and contact trying to get the D back on track (at least in the first half). Tonight it didn't burn the Flyers too much but they need to get and keep their feet moving on D for the entire game. Good effort. Well timed and productive TO's from Miller. The offensive flow is infinitely better than last year and it shows in player confidence. D and rebounding needs work.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:15 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
I really liked a lot of what I saw out there today. Lot of motion on offense, everyone playing, reacting, reading what was available and taking it, going to the open area, taking good open shots... wow, the offense looked good.

It seemed to me the biggest change on defense was simply better ball pressure. They split double teams too easily in the first half, but we cut that off in the second.

I liked the flow of the game. We posted up a bunch. Didn't always make the right play, but it did lead to better offense overall.
Mad Props to THirt For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-13-2011)
Old 11-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,570 Times in 5,078 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
We move the ball so much more effectively on offense than we did under BG. The ball movement is actually sometimes faster than the defensive rotation, resulting in some wide-open shot opportunities.

Benson is blossoming. Dillard makes all the other guys better with his creative passing.

Our defense in the first half was scary bad. Big improvement in the 2nd.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:23 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,693 Times in 2,511 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
I stated this on an earlier post last week,but it bears repeating (Norm Grevey also brought it upon Flyer feedback)- we are a much better offense than last year because we have more movement and we have better outside shooters taking shots this year. we lost 2 of our worst outside shooters and now have good shooters taking these shots-when is the last time we shot better than 50% in 3 straight games regardless of wheher they were exhibition?
Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (11-13-2011)
Old 11-12-2011, 09:47 PM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
It seemed like last year you'd see 2 guys in motion while the other 3 sort of watched. This offense relies on off ball movement and results in great opportunities on cuts. The Flyers actually ran a nice back door cut type of play ala Princeton back in the day. One game obviously doesn't make a season but it's fun too see the changes on the court.

They absolutely need to do better on stopping the penetration on the dribble drive and that's just moving your feet and anticipation. Second half it happened like you draw it up on defense. Once they did that the easy buckets shut down and they opened up the lead.
Mad Props to Canonball For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-13-2011)
Old 11-12-2011, 09:52 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
The movement helps the offense. But so does Dillard. He moves the ball and doesn't have to monopolize it as Staten did. When he gets in the lane he is looking to kick out or hit a cutter going to the glass. That helps a ton. Some of it is structure and design and a lot is the point guard.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-13-2011)
Old 11-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Colonel

tirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond repute
We committed 20 fouls. How did Kav only commit 1 in 25 minutes. Did it look like he changed his defensive approach?

Any post game comments from him or Archie addressing that aspect?
Old 11-13-2011, 07:21 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Not that it matters in winning or losing, but JB must have had about 6 dunks today. Anyone know?
The play-by-play says 5 dunks.
Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (11-13-2011)
Old 11-13-2011, 07:43 AM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,570 Times in 5,078 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
The play-by-play says 5 dunks.
Josh's length and athleticism turns a lay-up into an easy flush. He has been impressing the heck out of me since the first scrimmage game. Nobody is benefiting from the spacing and motion of Archies offense more than him. He looks absolutely pumped about this season.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:45 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Just looked at box score. Did Dillard really only play 19 min?
Old 11-13-2011, 07:52 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
Josh's length and athleticism turns a lay-up into an easy flush. He has been impressing the heck out of me since the first scrimmage game. Nobody is benefiting from the spacing and motion of Archies offense more than him. He looks absolutely pumped about this season.
He also had that nice in-bounds almost-alley-oop shot too.

If I had told you at halftime, that Benson and Kavs would be the top 2 scorers, and that Kavs would have 5 offensive rebounds (none in the second half, only 2 defensive), would you have believed me?
Old 11-13-2011, 07:56 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
Just looked at box score. Did Dillard really only play 19 min?
Yea. Play by play timings shows 19 minutes 24 seconds.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:58 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,559 Times in 2,452 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Dillard went to the bench because of two fouls in the first half with 7 or 8(?) minutes left. Parker did a great job taking over the point for the rest of the half. I also think he sparked a little better defense at the end of the half as did DO and we pulled into the lead.
It was wonderful to watch such unselfish play.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (11-13-2011), Flyer 86 (11-13-2011)
Old 11-13-2011, 10:33 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,248 Times in 1,129 Posts
Bat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond repute
Having not seen the game, but following the game on Game Tracker, listening to Bucky on the radio and looking at the box score, I was really impressed with the play of MK and JB. If MK can continue to hit the boards (5 offensive rebounds), get some points, be a defensive presence and NOT foul (ala his game against SHU last year), this could be a really good season for us. I know WIU isn't too highly regarded and the game at Miami will likely tell us a lot more about team character, but if MK has found the key to stay out of foul trouble and remain active, we could be in for a fun season. JB sounded great and from everyone's remarks, it seems the kids are really jelling offensively under AM; now we just have to maintain better defensive consistency. How active was AM along the sideline...was he pacing up and down, yelling at the kids and the refs, or was he more subdued and studied in his game-time demeanor?
Old 11-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,053 Times in 471 Posts
UD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond repute
Archie was pretty calm and subdued during the game....and the players didn't repeatedly look his way for direction. Fun game to watch!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD Sam For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bat'71 (11-13-2011), San Diego Flyer (11-13-2011), THirt (11-13-2011)
Old 11-13-2011, 11:42 AM

Thanked 10,133 Times in 5,867 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Dillard has many more skills than that other kid. He shoots better, penetrates better and knows how and where to pass once he is in the lane, but #1 he is unselfish. I was so impressed when he got close to the basket several times and instead of shooting dished off for a wide open bunny.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD Sam (11-13-2011)
Old 11-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Colonel

Flyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by mich flyer View Post
dayton may surprise this year.

i love surprises!
Old 11-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
We won't lose a game if we get 36 points or more from Benson and Kavanaugh.

I was a big BG supporter, but man, it was nice to see the changes out there, on offense, defense, substitutions, flow... we just looked loose. I think the change was good for everyone.

I did see Henton had 10 and 6 in his debut, and Gibson had zeros across the board. I still think this team could surprise, but we have a ways to go. The first half was scary on defense.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:24 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer69ers View Post
i love surprises!
Surprise, surprise, surprise,
Old 11-13-2011, 05:33 PM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
If I had told you at halftime, that Benson and Kavs would be the top 2 scorers, and that Kavs would have 5 offensive rebounds (none in the second half, only 2 defensive), would you have believed me?
Actually Fig, Matt has more career offensive rebounds than defensive rebounds. But your point is well taken. He likes to hang around the offensive rim.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-13-2011)
Old 11-13-2011, 05:51 PM

Thanked 17,098 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
What was refreshing for me was watching guys take shots they can and should make by being aggressive, without looking at the bench wondering if they were going to be yanked for it.

Case in point we get a steal and have a 1 on 1 or 2 on 1 mini-break from halfcourt. The ball is quickly gathered over on the wing and (I think) Parker takes it and shoots a trey. Most of the court was relatively open, but Parker had a great look to line up it directly after the transition. He never hesitated and shot it (and missed).

But its a shot he can make -- and a lot of guys should be able to make. Dillard, Parker, Johnson, Williams, Fab. I never got the sense from Parker's attempt that he ever felt Archie was gonna yank him for taking that shot. Treys are easy shots -- especially so if they are wide open like this one. For better or worse, we're going to take a lot of threes this year without a David West down low for us. Big Kavs and Benson are different kinds of players. Not really aircraft carriers of prototypical big men.

But Archie is convinced we can shoot the ball and the take-away I got from the first game was he wants these guys getting open shots and shooting and having far more spurtability. Going for the jugular in transition. Hard to do that in a half-court setting.

Not sure we're ever going to be the Karl Hobbs GW teams of 7-8 years ago that were helter skelter to the Nth degree, but Archie wants shooters shooting. More so, he wants them to adjust on the fly and pass up a good shot from the playbook for an even better shot from the natural run of play. Gregory seemed to force-feed every offensive possession. Come He11 or high water the ball was going to XYZ at the ABC location of the court -- even if it was covered. And the other team knew it too.

I like the ability to be able to let these guys interpret things on the fly. They aren't robots. All this said, we need to get to the foul line a lot more and Archie referenced it.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-13-2011)
Old 11-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,182 Times in 579 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
Chris I remember seeing that play, and yes it was Parker, and thinking even though he missed the shot it WAS a good, wide open, look in transition. It was not a bad shot at all.
Mad Props to Bill McPeek For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-13-2011)
Old 11-14-2011, 08:13 AM
Captain

31770 is a jewel in the rough31770 is a jewel in the rough31770 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Bat'71 View Post
How active was AM along the sideline...was he pacing up and down, yelling at the kids and the refs, or was he more subdued and studied in his game-time demeanor?
I thought archie did a great job making adjustments out of time outs and after the half. But if I were to have one complaint it would have been that he did not get into the refs ear... In the second half I think there were some really bad calls and wanted to see archie chew somebody out. But Archie sat most of the game, 95% @least... Seemed really calm...
Old 11-14-2011, 11:49 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
Actually Fig, Matt has more career offensive rebounds than defensive rebounds. But your point is well taken. He likes to hang around the offensive rim.
Made me look that one up. Of course, the first thing that surprised me when I tackled the stats, was that his 5 offensive rebounds didn't show up as a career high. I was dumb-founded. His stat line versus Seton Hall is almost identical to the one against Western Illinois.

vs. Seton Hall: 5/7 FG, 5/6 FT, 5 OffReb, 2 DefReb, 15 points, 2PF, 2TO, 19 minutes
vs. Western Illinois: 7/9 FG, 1/1 FT, 5 OffReb, 2DefReb, 15 points, 1PF, 3Assists, 25 minutes

So, back to looking it up, through the Western Illinois game, 56 Offensive rebounds, 37 defensive rebounds. Since 2003, only one other (scholarship) player had more offensive rebounds then defensive rebounds. Nick Stafford, 39 vs 33.

Figgie
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (11-14-2011), San Diego Flyer (11-14-2011)
Old 11-14-2011, 12:57 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,693 Times in 2,511 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Made me look that one up. Of course, the first thing that surprised me when I tackled the stats, was that his 5 offensive rebounds didn't show up as a career high. I was dumb-founded. His stat line versus Seton Hall is almost identical to the one against Western Illinois.

vs. Seton Hall: 5/7 FG, 5/6 FT, 5 OffReb, 2 DefReb, 15 points, 2PF, 2TO, 19 minutes
vs. Western Illinois: 7/9 FG, 1/1 FT, 5 OffReb, 2DefReb, 15 points, 1PF, 3Assists, 25 minutes

So, back to looking it up, through the Western Illinois game, 56 Offensive rebounds, 37 defensive rebounds. Since 2003, only one other (scholarship) player had more offensive rebounds then defensive rebounds. Nick Stafford, 39 vs 33.

Figgie
I've noticed that Matt has that uncanny knack of knowing where the ball is off the offensive glass and seems to be around it alot. Some guys just have that ability to get offensive rebounds.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Colonel

The Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Bill McPeek View Post
Chris I remember seeing that play, and yes it was Parker, and thinking even though he missed the shot it WAS a good, wide open, look in transition. It was not a bad shot at all.

From my seat I had a great view of that play, as it was directly on the opposite side of the court of the shot. It seemed like he hesitated for a second because he couldn't believe how open he was. I think that hesitation led to the shot being a bit off the mark. It's a shot he - or any of our perimeter shooters - should take every time.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:33 PM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TA111 View Post
I've noticed that Matt has that uncanny knack of knowing where the ball is off the offensive glass and seems to be around it alot. Some guys just have that ability to get offensive rebounds.
It may be more than a knack. I once saw a piece on Dennis Rodman, one of the best offensive rebounders in NBA history. I forget who it was that was describing how Rodman got to so many rebounds, might have been chuck Dailey, or Phil Jackson, doesn't really matter, but they said how Rodman studied his teammates shots to the nth degree. He knew which side of the rim each shooter tended to miss from, so he could setup accordingly to give himself the highest % chance of grabbing a rebound if it became available.

Don't know how much Matt keeps a mental picture/history of his teammates shots, but it worked for Rodman and I'm sure many others.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:27 PM

Made me look that one up........ through the Western Illinois game, 56 Offensive rebounds, 37 defensive rebounds. Since 2003, only one other (scholarship) player had more offensive rebounds then defensive rebounds. Nick Stafford, 39 vs 33.

Figgie
I knew who I was messing with Figgie. I looked it up BEFORE I posted it.

As an aside, it would be long odds for TWO players on the same team to have more offensive rebounds than defensive rebounds, but last year Josh Benson had 63 offensive and 64 defensive. Of course that was with Matt Kavanaugh only getting scraps for playing time.