User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 09-18-2018, 09:01 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,132 Times in 2,308 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Ok, I've been slacking off on posting pictures. They've added some good structure on the east end walkway, and you can see a bit of the design that will be there. More windows on the main entrance, and the south entrance has more structure for the circular concourse as well as for vertical brickwork. On the northside the second floor window steel structure looks to be close to complete. Maybe windows will go in this week.

Here is a look from the northeast corner.

More pictures at Figstats.
12 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (09-19-2018), DickB 309 (09-19-2018), Fudd (09-19-2018), Jeff (09-26-2019), Justin (09-21-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (09-18-2018), NJFlyr71 (09-19-2018), OSU Flyer (09-19-2018), Runnin' Rebel (09-19-2018), The Fly (09-18-2018), UD_Earl (09-20-2018), wes (09-19-2018)
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2018, 09:12 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,905 Times in 1,076 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
They got to be looking at closing some of the open walls. With the first day of fall happening this weekend, fall weather (rain and frost) along with the occasional cold front blowing through the area it soon will be exposing the interior to the elements.

Especially on the east side new upper level walkway/balcony. That is suppose to be functioning come this BB season.

Anyone know how the interior work is coming along? I know there was a report on a quick tour maybe a month ago posted here.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:21 PM
2nd Lieutenant

djmark has a spectacular aura aboutdjmark has a spectacular aura aboutdjmark has a spectacular aura about
I don’t see how they will be done in time
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-19-2018, 02:48 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,479 Times in 757 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Figgie,

Thanks for posting the pics and keeping us up to date. You need to send these pics over to UD. The "Transform UD Arena" site has not been updated in over a year. Sad. Must have been busy working on the new website for the U.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:34 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,205 Times in 971 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
I talked to a neighbor who is a fire fighter (more an inspector type now). He was inside about a month ago for an inspection/tour. He mentioned that there is a lot to be done, but they claim to be on schedule. There are also people on the job nearly 24/7. He also commented that Danis has a good reputation for pulling things together and finishing projects on time.
OSU Flyer (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 09:35 PM
Captain

marco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to behold
I was in the Arena 3 weeks ago with UD Sports people .. I asked them if they will be completed on time .. they said yes ... they will be open on time.

What I saw? Everything was opened up inside ... everything was unfinished.

IMO .. with no construction experience ... if they can button up things, close up things for the schedule ... they will be working beyond Thanksgiving ...

If something can be closed up for the games, they will reopen and continue completing until the next time ... to close up for the next game.

I was told the new "Club" on the east side will be open in 2019. So this construction will continue and will be worked on after the start of the basketball season.

Last edited by marco red eagle; 09-19-2018 at 09:38 PM..
Mad Props to marco red eagle For This Totally Excellent Post:
NJFlyr71 (09-20-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 10:39 PM

Thanked 4,598 Times in 2,845 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
What can be done if you want it done...

Originally Posted by marco red eagle View Post
I was in the Arena 3 weeks ago with UD Sports people .. I asked them if they will be completed on time .. they said yes ... they will be open on time.

What I saw? Everything was opened up inside ... everything was unfinished.

IMO .. with no construction experience ... if they can button up things, close up things for the schedule ... they will be working beyond Thanksgiving ...

If something can be closed up for the games, they will reopen and continue completing until the next time ... to close up for the next game.

I was told the new "Club" on the east side will be open in 2019. So this construction will continue and will be worked on after the start of the basketball season.
Some years ago I was in Palo Alto the weekend after Thanksgiving....very late November. Stanford was playing ND in Stanford's 80,000 seat standium. All around the stadium was construction equipment. The next day, a Sunday, tear-down of the stadium began in prep for construction of a new ~ 60,000 seat stadium on the same site. In October of the next year, less than 12 months later, Stanford played its first game in the new stadium. Work went on seven days a week for ~ 10 months. That project makes our Arena redo look like a minor spruce-up.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:26 AM

Thanked 16,976 Times in 5,076 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
The last 20% always goes together quicker than the first 80%. The last 20% is the only part fans see anyway.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 09-20-2018, 02:01 AM
Major

Flyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond repute
I just hope they got the right grade bolts this time around after the first arena collapse. What I read in the DDN was that the wrong grade of bolts were used and these bolts sheared. The crappy design was confirmed when they said the center scoreboard could not be replaced because the structure couldn’t hold it. LED panels fixed that argument.

My design criteria was to double what you need and then double that to prevent or reduce deflection. I need to drive over and walk around and maybe sneak in for a peak. Damm what did I do with the white hard hat?
Old 09-20-2018, 08:36 AM
Major General

NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Flyer2

I read some time ago when Wernher von Braun and his team of German's engineers designed the Saturn rocket for Apollo they built it only in the manner they knew how. Over designed and well thought out.

As the Apollo project wound up other folks in NASA discovered they needed more of "this" and plenty more of "that", the NASA guys would go back to von Braun and ask if the rocket could handle it .... his response always was " yes but only a little bit more".

It was why that rocket never failed.

I also worked on a team years back that dealt with space hardware. The reliability engineers stated that normal design would get you about 99% reliability at X cost while to get to 99.99% reliability would be 100X costing.

It's how much you want to pay, how much you want to compromise and how much you don't know that will cost you in the end product.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:59 AM
Captain

marco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to behold
Chris ...
"The last 20% always goes together quicker than the first 80%. The last 20% is the only part fans see anyway."

Obviously you have not been involved with software projects .. or Air Force projects ... or you are trying to be funny. The above statement is not what I have seen working finance for 40 years.

But this is construction and out of my league.

Last edited by marco red eagle; 09-20-2018 at 12:03 PM..
Old 09-20-2018, 03:39 PM

Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Watch Property Brothers. First six weeks the house is a wreck. Last five days it all comes together. Drywall, paint, appliances, flooring, etc go in quick.

Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (09-22-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 03:49 PM

Thanked 10,096 Times in 5,841 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
The 80/20 rule applies to most projects, construction or otherwise. That is the pressure gets turned up at the end to get it done. Many construction projects have bonuses or penalties based on finishing on time or early. Not sure about the UD project, but it is also high profile to the public, and to that construction company's reputation.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:03 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,960 Times in 2,652 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer2 View Post
I just hope they got the right grade bolts this time around after the first arena collapse. What I read in the DDN was that the wrong grade of bolts were used and these bolts sheared. The crappy design was confirmed when they said the center scoreboard could not be replaced because the structure couldn’t hold it. LED panels fixed that argument.

My design criteria was to double what you need and then double that to prevent or reduce deflection. I need to drive over and walk around and maybe sneak in for a peak. Damm what did I do with the white hard hat?
I think there have been major advancements in building codes and inspection standards since 1968-69, when The Arena was first built. Plus, back then, the University operated on more of a shoestring budget, and society was not nearly as litigious as it is now. So, between advancements in construction & project funding, and the increase in class-action personal-injury lawsuits (leading to more emphasis on loss prevention), I don’t think UD is sparing much expense on this upgrade project.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2018, 10:10 AM
1st Lieutenant

UncleFester is a splendid one to beholdUncleFester is a splendid one to beholdUncleFester is a splendid one to beholdUncleFester is a splendid one to beholdUncleFester is a splendid one to beholdUncleFester is a splendid one to beholdUncleFester is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Flyer2 View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2018, 10:36 AM
1st Lieutenant

UncleFester is a splendid one to beholdUncleFester is a splendid one to beholdUncleFester is a splendid one to beholdUncleFester is a splendid one to beholdUncleFester is a splendid one to beholdUncleFester is a splendid one to beholdUncleFester is a splendid one to behold
Initially, the design of the structure was called into question, and was immediately poo-pood. Had the design been faulty (including bolt grades), the review and redesign process would have taken months or years to occur. They were given the ok to continue the construction the next month after their investigation. The ultimate cause was determined to be faulty erection practices by the erector. When erecting large truss and girder structures, x-bracing, bridging and shoring is required to keep the structure upright. There was a wind event that night that caused the large trusses to twist due to inadequate bracing. That, in addition to lack of shoring on one of the main column lines ultimately caused the collapse.
I haven’t seen anything about bolt grades or shearing being a factor. If there were sheared bolts, they were a product of the collapse, not the cause. There was absolutely no load applied to the structure. Oh, and bolt quantities have nothing to do with deflection. Member sizes do. I think my hard hat is white, I can’t tell from the stickers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to UncleFester For This Totally Excellent Post:
jabo911 (12-24-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 11:13 AM
Major General

UncleFester

not sure but your post could be a cleverly disguised commercial for a performance enhancing drug .... too many keywords in there not to be

Go Flyers!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (09-24-2018), springborofan (09-25-2019)
Old 09-22-2018, 12:49 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UncleFester View Post
Initially, the design of the structure was called into question, and was immediately poo-pood. Had the design been faulty (including bolt grades), the review and redesign process would have taken months or years to occur. They were given the ok to continue the construction the next month after their investigation. The ultimate cause was determined to be faulty erection practices by the erector. When erecting large truss and girder structures, x-bracing, bridging and shoring is required to keep the structure upright. There was a wind event that night that caused the large trusses to twist due to inadequate bracing. That, in addition to lack of shoring on one of the main column lines ultimately caused the collapse.
I haven’t seen anything about bolt grades or shearing being a factor. If there were sheared bolts, they were a product of the collapse, not the cause. There was absolutely no load applied to the structure. Oh, and bolt quantities have nothing to do with deflection. Member sizes do. I think my hard hat is white, I can’t tell from the stickers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Uncle Fester- You a UD Civil graduate? If so, what year?
Old 09-24-2018, 07:01 PM
1st Lieutenant

I attended UD my freshman year (73-74). Completed at Texas-Arlington, but UD was my home. Worked under Jim Courtright during the Frigidaire transition in the late 70’s, early 80’s. I recieved an internship in Dallas simply because I attended UD. The senior engineer was a UD grad. Gearing up to retire soon.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2018, 07:10 PM
1st Lieutenant

Originally Posted by NJFlyr71 View Post
UncleFester

not sure but your post could be a cleverly disguised commercial for a performance enhancing drug .... too many keywords in there not to be

Go Flyers!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2018, 07:19 PM
1st Lieutenant

The words erection and member sizes have been a continuous joke thru the years, especially when used around new female office workers not accustomed to construction verbiage.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2018, 10:09 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,758 Times in 1,126 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
The words erection and member sizes have been a continuous joke thru the years, especially when used around new female office workers not accustomed to construction verbiage.
Posted via Mobile Device
With that kind of an attitude you'll never end up as a TV executive or Supreme Court Justice...
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (09-25-2018), jack72 (09-25-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 10:54 PM
Major

Flyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond repute
I attended UD my freshman year (73-74). Completed at Texas-Arlington, but UD was my home. Worked under Jim Courtright during the Frigidaire transition in the late 70’s, early 80’s. I recieved an internship in Dallas simply because I attended UD. The senior engineer was a UD grad. Gearing up to retire soon.
Posted via Mobile Device
Jim Courtright that’s a name from the past. I worked for Gebhart during that transition and was responsible for the paint room, parts washers, heat treat. 1972 to 1980.

For those of you unfamiliar with Gm culture... when they were building the engineering offices I observed the asst. bosses measuring their offices and their counterparts to make sure they weren’t cheated. There was a phone book on regulations on who got what. In plant engineering I was entitled to a desk, drawing board and a four drawer file cabinet.

Move to process engineering and I got two desks and two drawer filing cabinet. Three engineers around the three sides of a triangular fake flower pot. So I stared at a black painted plywood wall. Some put up calendars or other BS. I got along really well with skilled trades. So one Sunday when no one was in they installed a four ft. Bookcase in front of my desk and painted black. I came in early and filled it up. The bosses didn’t notice until the other guys complained that they wanted one too. When asked I didn’t know how it got there.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:10 PM

wes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to behold
I drove around the arena Sunday and it looks like plenty of work still to be done.
Mad Props to wes For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD_Earl (09-26-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 10:50 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
The east wing is coming along nicely. Windows on the first floor, and siding in the upper 400 walkway.

On the south entrance, though, they haven't put in steel structure for the second floor windows. Hopefully, that's happening this week. 25 days until exhibition game.

A couple more pics at Figstats.
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Chris R (10-08-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (10-08-2018), NJFlyr71 (10-09-2018), OSU Flyer (10-09-2018), Runnin' Rebel (10-09-2018), UD_Earl (10-09-2018), Wallage (10-12-2018), Widget (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 12:43 PM
1st Lieutenant

UD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud of

Just a reminder of the original design plans.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:58 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,522 Times in 2,440 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
I heard from good source that only one of the four party decks will be open this year. Sounded like they were going to let different groups rent and get feedback on set up, work out bugs, etc before they finalize the interior design of all 4. Good idea I think.

Also (I think I have this correct) Of the four corner boards only two will be turned toward the upper arena, one on each side. They may be repositioned. Evidently the team/staff references those board during games.

Last edited by Lifelong Flyer Fan; 10-09-2018 at 01:05 PM..
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD_Earl (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 02:16 PM
1st Lieutenant

UD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
I heard from good source that only one of the four party decks will be open this year. Sounded like they were going to let different groups rent and get feedback on set up, work out bugs, etc before they finalize the interior design of all 4. Good idea I think.

Also (I think I have this correct) Of the four corner boards only two will be turned toward the upper arena, one on each side. They may be repositioned. Evidently the team/staff references those board during games.

I also heard that only will turn two of the boards. Very interested in the party decks. Great idea.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:13 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,545 Times in 3,692 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
So I pulled into the arena lot today to make a few notes from a phone call I had just completed. At least 14 different scissor lifts and boom lifts with workers working on the exterior of the building, couple hundred vehicles in the lot that I assume belong to construction workers, and people everywhere. Looks like a lot left to be done, but appeared to be plenty of manpower on site.

More importantly, anyone seen Drone video of what is going on? I did not see who was flying it, but was one buzzing overhead today that I assume was taking pictures or video.

Last edited by ClaytonFlyerFan; 10-11-2018 at 12:16 PM..
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (10-12-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 01:23 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
So I pulled into the arena lot today to make a few notes from a phone call I had just completed. At least 14 different scissor lifts and boom lifts with workers working on the exterior of the building, couple hundred vehicles in the lot that I assume belong to construction workers, and people everywhere. Looks like a lot left to be done, but appeared to be plenty of manpower on site.

More importantly, anyone seen Drone video of what is going on? I did not see who was flying it, but was one buzzing overhead today that I assume was taking pictures or video.
Ground control to Major Figgie
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (10-11-2018), sheg (10-11-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 12:06 PM
Lieutenant General

Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
https://twitter.com/DavidPJablonski/...68639589277698
contains a quote from DeBolt re readiness for Nov 1
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (10-12-2018), jack72 (10-12-2018), Larymike (10-12-2018), udflyerhoops2 (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 03:24 PM
Major

udflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond repute
The explaination

I'll take it.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:21 PM

Thanked 4,260 Times in 1,743 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
If anyone ever attends trade shows, the convention floors look like a wreck one hour before the show still. Then it all comes together.

Building construction is slightly different, but the concept of last minute push is the same.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:31 AM
Lieutenant General

https://www.mydaytondailynews.com/sp...3PQ12yYWLEoyO/
To give fans more time to get used to the changes, the arena will open two hours before tip-off — instead of one hour early — for the exhibition games, the women’s first regular-season games and the first couple of men’s regular-season games. Season-ticket holders also will receive maps with routes to their seats when their tickets are mailed in the next week to 10 days.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:01 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
The King denied my requisition form for a quad-copter with a camera, so it wasn't me.

In the last week, north entrance doors have been installed, steel support for windows on the second floor of the south entrance, metal siding on the south side of the east walkway area, and windows installed in 4 of the 5 sections on the east wing. Here is a shot of the southeast area over the fencing closer to the arena. Sidewalks also look to have been poured in the last 2 weeks, must have missed that last week.

A few more pics at Figstats.
10 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (10-15-2018), flyerfanatic86 (10-15-2018), fuz_forward (10-15-2018), Gazoo (10-15-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (10-15-2018), Muckem333 (10-15-2018), rollo (10-15-2018), Runnin' Rebel (10-15-2018), San Diego Flyer (10-28-2018), TX Flyer (10-15-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 06:56 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Wow. Amazing what can be done in 1 week.
  • The north side seems to be complete, except for the missing posts in the concrete.
  • And on the south side, windows are installed on the 2nd floor, as well as doors, and the brickwork is almost complete on the section between the entrance and the Donoher Center.
  • The east side wing is missing some installed doors, posts, and maybe some painting of a logo.

Not sure what changes I can capture next Sunday, maybe the fences will be gone, and the containers and trash cleaned up on the east side.

I'm including the picture from the south east this week. It's a good comparison to the original design produced by UD. The siding, or lattice work, or whatever, that will go around the top of the 2nd floor, and have the name of the arena, isn't done yet, but that's pretty cosmetic.

Oh, by the way, I do not see any ticket windows on the south side. (ud69 mentions that they are in the new southeast entrance...)

With the first games only 10 days away (Women's exhibition then Men's exhibition, Thursday and Friday next week respectively), I may only have 1 or 2 more updates for everyone.

PS: If anyone knows anyone important who wants to let me inside to take photos, officially and legally, before the exhibitions, I'm all up for that. I'm not considered part of "The Press", so I have no ability to get in.

Last edited by Figgie123; 10-28-2018 at 10:21 AM..
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Chris R (10-22-2018), lhsgolf19 (10-22-2018), San Diego Flyer (10-28-2018), The Fly (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 08:25 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Ticket office for the south side is inside the newly constructed main entrance.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (10-22-2018), UD_Earl (10-24-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 10:24 AM
I Am A Statistical God

4 days to basketball at the newly remodeled UD Arena! And, with that, the winged-D logos are up on the south, east (twice) and north sides!

Here is a shot of the south entrance, with the winged-D logo in the foreground.

The other shots of the north, south, east, and closer southeast photos are at Figstats.

(Oh, and again, if someone at the Arena or Danis can get me in legally to get pics before the games on Thur/Fri, I'd be thrilled. )

Figgie

Last edited by Figgie123; 10-28-2018 at 10:57 AM..
15 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BallgameJohnny (10-29-2018), Bat'71 (10-28-2018), CE80 (10-28-2018), CT Flyer (10-29-2018), Fudd (10-28-2018), fuz_forward (10-29-2018), Gazoo (10-29-2018), Justin (10-29-2018), mikeymo85 (10-30-2018), NJFlyr71 (10-29-2018), ohioflyer (10-28-2018), rollo (10-29-2018), Runnin' Rebel (10-29-2018), The Fly (10-28-2018), UACFlyer (10-28-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 08:12 AM
Brigadier General

N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Figgie, great pics!

Wonder if the railing along the south side is to support a new "UD Arena" sign?? You can still see the old one up there.

Does anyone know if this renovation caused any reduction in parking spots in A Lot?
Old 10-29-2018, 08:18 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Originally Posted by N2663R View Post
Wonder if the railing along the south side is to support a new "UD Arena" sign?? You can still see the old one up there.
Both the north and south side have those "railings", and there will be horizontal railings, like a fence almost, put up, and the new (old?) UD Arena namesake will be listed there. Go up earlier in this thread to see the design someone else posted.

Does anyone know if this renovation caused any reduction in parking spots in A Lot?
The only place that I can see that some spots might have been removed, would be in the small lot at the east wing entrance. I'm not sure if that's A lot, though, I thought it was B lot. This is because the entrance on the east wing has a curved sidewalk now at the entrance doors, so the lanes that used to go straight, would now have to be curved. With that said, they were power washing the sidewalks and pavement around the arena Sunday morning, so they may still have to paint the lane lines in that area still.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:53 AM
Major General

Based on the actual photos and comparison to the design concept drawings it "appears" the large Winged D logos on the south and north sides are going to be back lit ... secondly the actual D "appears" to be slightly smaller than the concept drawings .... I use the horizontal non-red brick work as a base line to the bottom of the logo as the measure to gauge the size.

The Winged D on the east facing upper level of the 400 sections don't appear to be back lit but are probably going to have external lighting played on them instead of back lit.

All in all I thank Figgie for his attention to detail and his regular up-dates on the arena.

All Hail Sir Figgie!

Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 10:47 AM
Lieutenant General

You are correct. I have seen the D's on the upper level illuminated.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:54 AM

Thanked 6,101 Times in 4,151 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Thank-you for all of your arena upgrade posts and pictures Figgie. They have been very informative and are greatly appreciated.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:44 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,733 Times in 781 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
This is like the best episode ever of Fixer Upper !
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Marysville Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 12:27 PM
General

Thanked 5,386 Times in 2,348 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute

Are we still talking about basketball?
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 12:57 PM

Thanked 15,823 Times in 6,961 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
or are these DD's?

I've seen them on the beach.

cj (10-29-2018), CT Flyer (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 12:59 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
I've seen them on the beach.

Seriousy??? Do you even know the alphabet?? You don't know the difference between a D and an F?? Come on man . . .
Mad Props to N2663R For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (10-29-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 10:27 PM
I Am A Statistical God

The first edition of "Arena Construction - Indoor Edition".

As we all know, the doors were open and the ground didn't sink on the east side as everyone in the arena wanted to be over there to see what life was like on the new side. I've put up photos from the south entrance, around to the northwest concourse still under construction, as well as 2 photos of the 400 tabletop area. (I am not convinced concessions or bathrooms will be there.)

Here is a photo of the southeast concourse walkway, which is behind the all glass wall entrance housing the ticket office, and the "Flyer'd Up" apparel store. The 'Dayton Basketball' words are right in front of the doors between the ticket office and the concourse.

See the other 7 photos at Figstats
9 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer14 (12-23-2018), Gazoo (11-06-2018), Jeff (08-02-2019), Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-06-2018), Muckem333 (11-06-2018), NJFlyr71 (11-06-2018), Runnin' Rebel (11-06-2018), The Fly (11-05-2018), UACFlyer (12-22-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 11:27 PM
Captain

soccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
Are we still talking about basketball?
Yes in its plural form Basketballs !!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-05-2018, 11:52 PM

Thanked 9,769 Times in 4,050 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
See the other 7 photos at Figstats
Thanks for blurring out my face and the kids lol. No one wants to see my ugly mug!!!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (11-06-2018), Figgie123 (11-06-2018), UD_Earl (11-06-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 09:58 AM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
For Dayton fans who think that the university of Dayton spent a lot of money on the renovations to the basketball arena; the university of Texas announced that they are spending 338 million on a new basketball facility.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-22-2018, 06:36 PM
General

Thanked 4,811 Times in 2,224 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
Today was my first exposure to the renovated Arena. The UF-grad wife was especially thankful of the indoor ticket office.

Overall, I liked it. One negative, the concessions are very close to the entrance doors, creating a traffic jam pre-game with folks getting beer while others are coming in. The high back premium seats on the corners of the wings (above the 200 level) looked really nice. Are they going to have more than three sinks in the men's room, or do they expect most men don't wash their hands?
Old 12-22-2018, 11:23 PM
General of the Air Force

T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Will any of the future improvements involve getting the info for the MVP announcements correct? Today, they mentioned that C-Dub was a 3-time MVP, and the season they posted on the widescreen was 2005-06. Um...he was a Junior AT TROTWOOD-MADISON THAT YEAR!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-22-2018, 11:30 PM

Ramond Marshall agrees.

2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (12-23-2018), UD_Earl (12-23-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 01:13 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Ramond Marshall agrees.
Keith Waleskowski probably does, too. I’m waiting for them to post that Roosevelt Chapman won the award in 1988-89, five years after he led us to the Elite Eight AS A SENIOR.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2018, 03:58 PM
General

Thanked 3,896 Times in 2,140 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
How were the windows during a day game?
Old 12-24-2018, 10:19 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
From my Christmas Break seat in the Pep Band, they seemed to make the Arena a more intimate place, making the top of the 400 level seem closer to the court than before. From my regular seat in 215, you don’t notice it as much.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (12-24-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 10:33 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
I thought it was very cool. It was a gray, cloudy day outside, so the effect wasn’t as good as it could have been, but I agree with TBone that it makes the Arena look more intimate. I’ve not been to Phog Allen Fieldhouse but from what I have seen on TV, it echoes that feel.

I’ll be interested to see if a noon game on a bright sunny day causes any issues. I’ll bet they took that into account though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to THirt For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (12-24-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 11:49 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,673 Times in 2,505 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by THirt View Post
I thought it was very cool. It was a gray, cloudy day outside, so the effect wasn’t as good as it could have been, but I agree with TBone that it makes the Arena look more intimate. I’ve not been to Phog Allen Fieldhouse but from what I have seen on TV, it echoes that feel.

I’ll be interested to see if a noon game on a bright sunny day causes any issues. I’ll bet they took that into account though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Couple things- I saw a game at Phog Allen a few years ago and while it has a little similarity, the Phog has a more “fieldhouse” feel to it. Also, I believe there are drapes that can be closed to block out any excess light at the Arena if needed.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
frisco flyer (12-24-2018), OSU Flyer (12-24-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 12:26 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Windows were fine. Keep in mind they face east. Unless there is a 9:00 AM game in the summer, the sunlight should not be a problem.
Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (12-24-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 01:27 PM
Major

podcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by TA111 View Post
Couple things- I saw a game at Phog Allen a few years ago and while it has a little similarity, the Phog has a more “fieldhouse” feel to it. Also, I believe there are drapes that can be closed to block out any excess light at the Arena if needed.
I live in Kansas and go to the Phog once a year. It is basically an oversized version of the old Fieldhouse. 16k People on bleacher seats in an area the size of the lower bowl.

It is an incredible feel for a game - but facility wise when it is empty - it is nothing to write home about. Again much closer in look and feel to the old Fieldhouse then to the Arena.
Mad Props to podcast411 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (12-25-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 08:51 AM
Major General

Besides being in the olde "Fieldhouse" back in 1968 I have been in some fieldhouse style (not to be confused with farmhouse style saison brew houses ) basketball facilities back in the day in different areas of the country. They all had a wide open, hi-ceiling feel as if they had been build as a hanger or military storage building. With people filling the seats it felt large even with a small but filled to capacity crowd. Some of these places were state run institutions.

When I first stepped into the UD Fieldhouse (not for a game) it seemed large but not too large. It definitely shrunk when filled to overflowing for BB games and very intimate. For visiting teams it must have been very intimidating .... and it was.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:12 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by Viperstick View Post
One negative, the concessions are very close to the entrance doors, creating a traffic jam pre-game with folks getting beer while others are coming in.
In my thread "Arena Observations from MBB and WBB Exhibitions" some folks mentioned this kind of issue, first with Dippin Dots and the corners of the outer concourse when gaining entry from the West Side (IIRC). I've not remembered any comment about a beer line thou .............

And anyways, the only complaints I ever heard at UD was HOW LONG THE BEER LINE was, not that it interfered with anything else!

Old 02-07-2019, 11:24 PM
Brigadier General

Does anyone know if UD will be hanging any banners up once the renovation is complete? Those boards that hung on the wall were weak IMHO.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:57 PM
Lieutenant General

Final Phase

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...2rLKGkjyObSFOA
Old 05-01-2019, 03:34 PM
Major

udflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond repute
Not Arena Related but...

I see there is a new project underway at the parking lot on the other side of 75. Anyone know what is going in there? I have for a long time talked about how the city and the business community are missing the boat by not putting in some entertainment options in that space. You would think a BDubs or Frickers would be champing at the bit to get in there. I don't know the politics of development but it seems like a win win for everyone.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:54 PM
General of the Air Force

ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by udflyerhoops2 View Post
I see there is a new project underway at the parking lot on the other side of 75. Anyone know what is going in there? I have for a long time talked about how the city and the business community are missing the boat by not putting in some entertainment options in that space. You would think a BDubs or Frickers would be champing at the bit to get in there. I don't know the politics of development but it seems like a win win for everyone.
Looks mighty small for a sit down place, I am guessing fast food related, just what we need more of. Taco Hell?
Old 05-02-2019, 12:33 AM

shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by udflyerhoops2 View Post
Unfortunately that side of 75 is a virtual wasteland. I was just down that way today and I forgot how barren it is. There is already a ton of undesirable activity in the McD's, Wendys, area and a ton of drug activity with a handful of shooting incidents on that little stretch of EDC in the last few years. North of Dmax, south of 35, and east of Germantown...well...no one in their right mind would invest millions on a decent chain restaurant near the Loves just to satisfy the entertainment and dietary needs of UD arena a couple times a year. Commercial establishments do a ton of studies on where they are going to build...other than a get off get on type of fast food...it ain't happening there. Places will build east of the river towards campus because they will get the UD Arena people as well as campus/Oakwood/Dayton/Kettering visitors when it isn't gameday.

A few things need/must happen:

1. As ****ty as the entrance and exit traffic patterns are due to the horrible setup and planning...Uber/Lyft/cabs need to have access to UD arena property. You can't get an Uber to UD Arena property. That has to be fixed, especially come tournament time. Where else can you go in the country for an NCAA game and you can't take an Uber to and from.

2. Provided food and drink specials/incentives like SLU does for pregame. They open their doors something like 1.5-2 hours before (can't remember as it was a few years back when we visited) and offer beer and food specials. The concourse had quite a few people on it when we got there and it was cheaper than going to bars.

I know staff has a few things in the works to further enhance the fan experience, but there are limited fan options in the area for food and drink...therefore you need to provide it or allow for responsible transportation options for those who are making a day out of it.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (08-25-2019), OSU Flyer (08-03-2019), wes (08-03-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 05:31 PM
Lieutenant General

Jim Paxson visited today. Video talking about the arena (and his picture)
https://www.instagram.com/p/B0rL4-kg..._web_copy_link
Runnin' Rebel (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 08:40 PM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Is this phase going to be more change than the other phases or were they pretty much equal?
Old 08-02-2019, 08:43 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,192 Times in 539 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
No photos this phase?
Old 08-03-2019, 08:02 AM

Thanked 10,096 Times in 5,841 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDGutter2 View Post
No photos this phase?
Rollo??
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (08-03-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 09:09 AM
General of the Air Force

As usual, excellent observations shocka43. Especially the part about Uber/Lyft accessibility. People from 20 to 60 (and probably beyond) are using those transportation options more and more, and it would be extremely short-sighted and nonsensical for UD to not have a traffic pattern plan that includes a designated entrance, exit, and flow for such vehicles.

But, then again, their traffic pattern last year involved funneling 3 lanes outbound from C Lot into 1 lane getting onto Edwin C northbound, including swinging the north half of the gate closed, so when does “sense” enter into the discussion?
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (08-25-2019), OSU Flyer (08-03-2019), UDGutter2 (08-03-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 10:12 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,673 Times in 2,505 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Is this phase going to be more change than the other phases or were they pretty much equal?
As I understand, it’s equal to the other side plus finishing the 3 Terrace areas and some additional concessions.
Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (08-03-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 12:41 PM
General

Have the powers that be given any consideration to Uber/Lyft?
Old 08-03-2019, 01:05 PM
General of the Air Force

Have the powers that be given any consideration to Uber/Lyft?
They’re probably thinking it’ll cut into the $100/car annual parking fees that they collect for a 150 square foot section of rented asphalt.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-03-2019, 02:18 PM
General

Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
2. Provided food and drink specials/incentives like SLU does for pregame. They open their doors something like 1.5-2 hours before (can't remember as it was a few years back when we visited) and offer beer and food specials. The concourse had quite a few people on it when we got there and it was cheaper than going to bars.
I'm surprised they don't do this, it seems like that's just leaving money on the table
Old 08-03-2019, 02:41 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,758 Times in 1,126 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
I'm surprised they don't do this, it seems like that's just leaving money on the table
I was at a Reds game the other day...something new in the Terrace area outside the gates (by the ticket booths): draft beer sales. While a draft beer costs $10 inside the stadium, a slightly smaller beer costs $5 in this kiosk. It’s basically right across the street from the Holy Grail bar. Smart move by the Reds. The beer costs less than $1 including the cup. Why not grab a share of the pre-game concessions? UD does some of this in the flight deck area but it is limited in size.
Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (08-03-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 03:38 PM
General

Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
I was at a Reds game the other day...something new in the Terrace area outside the gates (by the ticket booths): draft beer sales. While a draft beer costs $10 inside the stadium, a slightly smaller beer costs $5 in this kiosk. It’s basically right across the street from the Holy Grail bar. Smart move by the Reds. The beer costs less than $1 including the cup. Why not grab a share of the pre-game concessions? UD does some of this in the flight deck area but it is limited in size.
I would think this could be a nice perk for season ticket holders of a certain tier to give them Flight Deck access starting two hours before the game. Maybe have Neil or someone shoot up there and say hi
Old 08-03-2019, 04:52 PM
Colonel

UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
I would think this could be a nice perk for season ticket holders of a certain tier to give them Flight Deck access starting two hours before the game. Maybe have Neil or someone shoot up there and say hi
You can get reservations for the flight deck based on donation level. The Flight Deck is used for catered pregame meals. Ate up there a couple times, but our son didn't care for the food, just the view.
Mad Props to UDGutter2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (08-03-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 10:28 AM
I Am A Statistical God

I was informed that I had been derelict in my duties to post pictures of the outside Arena construction, so I've updated the Arena pictures page with the changes. From the outside, they have expanded the West Entrance approximately 10 feet for the new West Concourse, and the base of it is mostly bricked in, and they are working on where the new UD Arena signage is going on both the north and south side. The old UD Arena signage is already down. (Hopefully stored somewhere for archival purposes, and not in some scrap heap.)

Here is a picture of the West side of the arena from last week.

More pictures can be found at Figstats.
9 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bat'71 (08-25-2019), CT Flyer (08-26-2019), FlyerBob (08-25-2019), Gazoo (08-26-2019), Lifelong Flyer Fan (08-25-2019), Muckem333 (08-26-2019), TA111 (08-25-2019), The Fly (08-25-2019), UDGutter2 (08-26-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 06:56 PM
1st Lieutenant

udflyerfan is a jewel in the roughudflyerfan is a jewel in the roughudflyerfan is a jewel in the rough
I was informed that I had been derelict in my duties to post pictures of the outside Arena construction, so I've updated the Arena pictures page with the changes. From the outside, they have expanded the West Entrance approximately 10 feet for the new West Concourse, and the base of it is mostly bricked in, and they are working on where the new UD Arena signage is going on both the north and south side. The old UD Arena signage is already down. (Hopefully stored somewhere for archival purposes, and not in some scrap heap.)

Here is a picture of the West side of the arena from last week.

More pictures can be found at Figstats.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2019, 06:57 PM
1st Lieutenant

udflyerfan is a jewel in the roughudflyerfan is a jewel in the roughudflyerfan is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by udflyerfan View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to udflyerfan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (08-26-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 04:43 AM
Colonel

Thank you, Figgie123!
Mad Props to UDGutter2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (08-26-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 07:17 PM
Brigadier General

. . . . . The old UD Arena signage is already down. (Hopefully stored somewhere for archival purposes, and not in some scrap heap.)
Don’t get your hopes up. I called the Athletic Dept. right after the old scoreboard came down. I suggested that they repurpose it somewhere in the outer concourse or elsewhere in the arena. Short of that, I was willing to make an offer on the entire unit. I was told it was scrapped right after it was removed. Ugggh.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:47 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
Don’t get your hopes up. I called the Athletic Dept. right after the old scoreboard came down. I suggested that they repurpose it somewhere in the outer concourse or elsewhere in the arena. Short of that, I was willing to make an offer on the entire unit. I was told it was scrapped right after it was removed. Ugggh.
There's that vision they have.....

A shame. They could have raised some money by bidding that sort of stuff out.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:41 AM
I Am A Statistical God

And the Arena has it's new lettering up! (albeit on the northside only)

More horizontal supports on the south side, brickwork appears complete on the west side, and they've also put in some windows on the ground floor on the west. But, will there be more windows on the ground floor west, or will it be 2 sections of doors? We will have to wait and see.

Those pictures are at Figstats
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (09-22-2019), Lifelong Flyer Fan (09-22-2019), NJFlyr71 (09-22-2019), OSU Flyer (09-23-2019), The Fly (09-22-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 01:21 PM
Major General

Once again Mr. Figgie keepin' us all in the loop!

1 .. 2.. 3.. (get it?) A big shout out to him for all his up-dates.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bat'71 (09-24-2019), Figgie123 (09-22-2019), Lifelong Flyer Fan (09-22-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 08:47 PM
Brigadier General

Does anyone know anything about the new “private” clubs/bars in the concourses? I don’t remember seeing anything with my ticket invoices??
Old 09-23-2019, 09:46 PM
Captain

Southwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to behold
Does anyone know anything about the new “private” clubs/bars in the concourses? I don’t remember seeing anything with my ticket invoices??
The concourse “private” bars are “private” for those possessing tix in new padded club seats that are just above 200 level on each side (East and West).
Old 09-25-2019, 12:11 PM
Lieutenant General

Arena to have metal detectors at all entrances this season.
https://www.whio.com/sports/universi...dayton-flyers/
Radar (09-25-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 12:19 PM
(Formerly O'Side Flyer)

Brad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud of
A sad commentary on the state of today's world...
Old 09-25-2019, 12:37 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,697 Times in 1,281 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
A sad commentary indeed, but no surprise.

They implemented hand held scanners (wands) at the Fraze Pavilion immediately after the Oregon District shooting.

From what I'm told scanners/detectors will likely become state law by next year.

Last edited by Radar; 09-25-2019 at 12:41 PM..
Old 09-25-2019, 01:48 PM
General of the Air Force

I just hope the arena has adequate staffing and the process can be a quick one.

I attended a preseason Blue Jackets hockey game last Tuesday at Nationwide Arena. The west entrance had a 15 minute line to get inside. On a cold windy rainy night this would suck if UD Arena is as slow and understaffed as what Nationwide was.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:24 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,290 Times in 1,310 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute

I attended a preseason Blue Jackets hockey game last Tuesday at Nationwide Arena. The west entrance had a 15 minute line to get inside. On a cold windy rainy night this would suck if UD Arena is as slow and understaffed as what Nationwide was.
URI started this two years ago and the first year was terrible to get in and took forever. Last year was much better and things went faster. Of course the UD game is always their biggest crowd, along with the Providence game when they're home, so lines tend to be a bit longer those nights anyway.

I'm sure at the Arena there will be a learning curve too, but hopefully they figure it out sooner than later.
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
fuz_forward (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 01:06 PM

Thanked 4,598 Times in 2,845 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Tough

It's a shame it's come to this.

I have experienced the situation at URI and it was pretty bad on a cold night. Later a tent-like arrangement was used to shield those waiting from the weather.

I noticed that UConn has just completed installation of barriers at all entrances to Gampel Pavilion so as to prevent a vehicle from being driven right inside the building. Actually, that is a significant risk. At Gampel (and perhaps at the Arena) a vehicle laden with explosives could be driven at high speed right into the building.

UConn's barriers are rather inconspicuous but clearly effective. About 20-30 feet from each entrance there are steel poles about 8" in diameter, waist high, and about four feet apart....nicely painted...and I presume filled with concrete. These barriers are new and will prevent vehicles from crashing through the entrance doors. I hope the Arena has such protection.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:57 PM

Thanked 2,348 Times in 798 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
I hope the Arena has such protection.
If you look closely at Figgie’s photos, you can see there are concrete posts protecting the main entrances. I don’t know about the entrances on the wings.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:44 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

TX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
It's a shame it's come to this.

I have experienced the situation at URI and it was pretty bad on a cold night. Later a tent-like arrangement was used to shield those waiting from the weather.

I noticed that UConn has just completed installation of barriers at all entrances to Gampel Pavilion so as to prevent a vehicle from being driven right inside the building. Actually, that is a significant risk. At Gampel (and perhaps at the Arena) a vehicle laden with explosives could be driven at high speed right into the building.

UConn's barriers are rather inconspicuous but clearly effective. About 20-30 feet from each entrance there are steel poles about 8" in diameter, waist high, and about four feet apart....nicely painted...and I presume filled with concrete. These barriers are new and will prevent vehicles from crashing through the entrance doors. I hope the Arena has such protection.
You’re a bit far away to make you a hat but I can probably have amazon deliver some Reynolds wrap to you
Old 09-27-2019, 05:22 AM

It should be. If it isn't, it won't be for a lack of training, preparation, planning, observation and research of other venues, etc. The devices are state of the art. I am familiar with what they are using and they are the newer generation devices that don't require the removal of everyday items that you keep in your pockets to include phones. These same type are used at venues that we have all been at that host more than 13,455 people per event.

Yes, there will be some bugs to work out no doubt. But this type of prevention isn't something that is going away anytime soon.
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Radar (09-27-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 07:42 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,697 Times in 1,281 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
I am familiar with what they are using and they are the newer generation devices that don't require the removal of everyday items that you keep in your pockets to include phones. These same type are used at venues that we have all been at that host more than 13,455 people per event.
Then someone should introduce TSA to these devices.

Last edited by Radar; 09-27-2019 at 07:46 AM..