Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-01-2008, 01:13 AM
Captain

cbusflyer12 is on a distinguished road
Back in Ohio and Tickled

I have spent the last 8 days in NC with the wife and her family. They are all Tarheel Fans that I am slowly getting to respect the Flyers. The problem is 2 years ago we went down for the game after Christmas and I told them we would be competitive against NC (within 15) and we got blown out of the water. But they were very impressed with the amount of RED in the Deam Dome.

I was quietly confident when they asked me about the Flyers this year. I told them we have a young team with 1 senior and they are really scrappy and fun to watch. I proceeded to get laughed at after the 0-24 showing vs. Auburn. They said at least they won and got on SportsCenter for something. I took it on the chin and told them we would find out how good we are against Marquette. My brother-in-law agreed and said it should be an interesting game (I knew he expected Marq to win big). We didn't get the game in NC but I kept track of it on my Blackberry while we were at dinner. Needless to say we were both very impressed with the win. I had heard about the dunk by CW from reading UDPRIDE but I hadn't seen it yet. I received a call that night from my brother-in-law telling me that was the best Dunk he had ever seen.

I know a Dunk is only worth 2 points but in the eyes of College Basketball world it is worth a lot more. It was nice to get some respect from some fans of the top ranked team in the nation.

On a separate note (sorry for rambling) I didn't want to start a separate post. I wanted to point out the balanced scoring this year. Last year B-ROB lead us in scoring in 4 out of the first 6 games (Binnie and Wright were the other 2). This year CW has lead us in 3 games, Johnson in 3 games, and Lowery in 1 (johnson and wright tied in the 1st game). Currently we have 5 players over 6pts per game. I would love to see the Flyers have 5 guys avg double figures but I don't think it is realistic. It would be nice to have 5 flyers avg over 8 pts per game. When is the last time that has happened?

This team is so much fun to watch because you cannot stop just 1 player like in years past. When was the last time we had multiple offensive threats? Stanley, Hall? But even they weren't consistent with their performance.

To Leave you with 1 last question... If you are the coach of Troy any other team we have coming up how would you attempt to stop the Flyers???
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2008, 02:42 AM
1st Lieutenant

DickB 309 has a spectacular aura aboutDickB 309 has a spectacular aura about
Welcome home. Glad you made it back from "Heel" country and the in-laws without being embarrassed by the Flyers. I hear some of the fans down there can be pretty full of themselves.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:06 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,172 Times in 2,321 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cbusflyer12 View Post
It would be nice to have 5 flyers avg over 8 pts per game. When is the last time that has happened?
If it's happened it's before 2004. But, in 2006, we had 4 players average 8+ per game. BRob, 18.5, Little, 10.5, Monty 10.0 (missed last 6 games), and Plummer 8.2 (missed 3 games).

Figgie
Old 12-01-2008, 10:32 AM

udflyerfan07 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I have spent the last 8 days in NC with the wife and her family. They are all Tarheel Fans that I am slowly getting to respect the Flyers. The problem is 2 years ago we went down for the game after Christmas and I told them we would be competitive against NC (within 15) and we got blown out of the water. But they were very impressed with the amount of RED in the Deam Dome.

I was quietly confident when they asked me about the Flyers this year. I told them we have a young team with 1 senior and they are really scrappy and fun to watch. I proceeded to get laughed at after the 0-24 showing vs. Auburn. They said at least they won and got on SportsCenter for something. I took it on the chin and told them we would find out how good we are against Marquette. My brother-in-law agreed and said it should be an interesting game (I knew he expected Marq to win big). We didn't get the game in NC but I kept track of it on my Blackberry while we were at dinner. Needless to say we were both very impressed with the win. I had heard about the dunk by CW from reading UDPRIDE but I hadn't seen it yet. I received a call that night from my brother-in-law telling me that was the best Dunk he had ever seen.

I know a Dunk is only worth 2 points but in the eyes of College Basketball world it is worth a lot more. It was nice to get some respect from some fans of the top ranked team in the nation.

On a separate note (sorry for rambling) I didn't want to start a separate post. I wanted to point out the balanced scoring this year. Last year B-ROB lead us in scoring in 4 out of the first 6 games (Binnie and Wright were the other 2). This year CW has lead us in 3 games, Johnson in 3 games, and Lowery in 1 (johnson and wright tied in the 1st game). Currently we have 5 players over 6pts per game. I would love to see the Flyers have 5 guys avg double figures but I don't think it is realistic. It would be nice to have 5 flyers avg over 8 pts per game. When is the last time that has happened?

This team is so much fun to watch because you cannot stop just 1 player like in years past. When was the last time we had multiple offensive threats? Stanley, Hall? But even they weren't consistent with their performance.

To Leave you with 1 last question... If you are the coach of Troy any other team we have coming up how would you attempt to stop the Flyers???
One way to beat is, and i'm shocked MU didn't do this, is to just pack it in and take your chances with us from the outside. We are too good in the lane this year to play extended D leaving lanes open for CW, CL, CJ and MJ. Those four will kill you in the paint. However, as we've seen, this team can be a very good outside shooting team as well but I'd still take my chances with us hitting the deep ball.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Captain

cbusflyer12 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info Figgie.

I like the idea of packing it in against us and taken the chance we will be off from the outside. How many fast break points are we averaging a game?

I really like the team heading into A-10 play, even if teams to pack it in we have Johnson, Johnson, Wright, Lowery, Fab, and Perry who can hit from the outside. It will be interesting facing Temply if they Zone us. I would like to see BG come back with a variation of that line-up for at least a set or two.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Major

TheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to behold
The zone busting offense:

PG: Rob Lowery
SG: Marcus Johnson/Mickey Perry
SF: Chris Johnson
PF: Luke Fabrezius
C: Chris Wright

5 different guys that can hit a 3 in at once, and the 2-5 guys can all rebound. I've been pleasantly suprised about how active Fab has been inside on defense. Swatting a few shots, getting some boards. Still not strong enough, but it can work for short stretches.

UD has too many legit 3 point threats to stay in a zone too long
Old 12-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Academy Doolie

Dark Flyer
Currently we have 5 players over 6pts per game. I would love to see the Flyers have 5 guys avg double figures but I don't think it is realistic. It would be nice to have 5 flyers avg over 8 pts per game. When is the last time that has happened?
It happened in the 2002-2003 season.

Hall. . . . . . . . . . . 12.8 ppg
Waleskowski. . . . 12.7
Marshall. . . . . . . . 12.0
Finn. . . . . . . . . . . 10.0
Jones. . . . . . . . . . 8.0

We were actually pretty close to having SEVEN players average 8 points per game that year:

Stelly. . . . . . . . . 7.4
Green. . . . . . . . . 6.6
Mad Props to Dark Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClearTheRunwayForWLJ (12-01-2008)
Old 12-01-2008, 09:05 PM
1st Lieutenant

ud99 will become famous soon enoughud99 will become famous soon enough

Quick question, why do some Flyer fans worry about what other fans think about the Flyers so much? I could care less what Tar Heel fans think about us? On a different note if we played them this year again, UNC would kick our tales again. I have alot of OSU fans in my family and I could care less if they respect the Flyers or not. They are my team and until we start winning in the big dance we won't get that much respect or be considered for real like the Gonzagas and Xavier has been lately. It just amazes me that alot people on here seem to really care about what other people think about our program. Who cares!
Old 12-01-2008, 09:24 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud99 View Post
Quick question, why do some Flyer fans worry about what other fans think about the Flyers so much? I could care less what Tar Heel fans think about us? On a different note if we played them this year again, UNC would kick our tales again. I have alot of OSU fans in my family and I could care less if they respect the Flyers or not. They are my team and until we start winning in the big dance we won't get that much respect or be considered for real like the Gonzagas and Xavier has been lately. It just amazes me that alot people on here seem to really care about what other people think about our program. Who cares!
Exactly, who cares that you care what someone else cares about or not. If you haven't noticed we are all different and have varying levels of interests. So I am not sure why you would post about what someone cares about and is passionate about. Apparently his family is different from your family, imagine that.

I personally care what other people feel about UD, Dayton, Flyers etc because I am that passionate about our team, school and community. And where ever I go I wear my Dayton hat to show that pride and welcome responses.

BTW most all responses I get are very positive.....and should be getting alot better.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
bp (12-01-2008), UD Sam (12-02-2008)
Old 12-02-2008, 01:21 PM
1st Lieutenant

ud99 will become famous soon enoughud99 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Exactly, who cares that you care what someone else cares about or not. If you haven't noticed we are all different and have varying levels of interests. So I am not sure why you would post about what someone cares about and is passionate about. Apparently his family is different from your family, imagine that.

I personally care what other people feel about UD, Dayton, Flyers etc because I am that passionate about our team, school and community. And where ever I go I wear my Dayton hat to show that pride and welcome responses.

BTW most all responses I get are very positive.....and should be getting alot better.
You just took everything out of context. It seems that "some" UD fans worry more about what the OSU, UNC , Dukes and Kentuckys of the world think about us. I think they could care less on what we think about their programs. Is the UD program starving for attention? I think for a small school we get alot of pub in the Dayton and surrounding areas. We are local/regional University and we will never get the kind of publicity a state school will get. And if you just wear your UD hat to "welcome responses" then you are wearing it for the wrong reasons. I am also a Florida football fan and have alot of pride toward that program but I don't wear my hat around to see what people say about the Florida football program.