User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-19-2021, 05:44 PM
General

Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,408 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Canonball View Post
Chris Beard isn't leaving Texas Tech for Indiana. He's got deep roots in Texas and has a competitive program in place in a juggernaut of a conference. This years squad isn't as good as the team that made the championship run but they appear to be a solid 2nd weekend team. Why would he vacate to go rebuild in a place he doesn't know much and with a program still thinking about the glory of an angry chair toss.

As for Archie and all the speculation about he and his wife. Who knows. He probably needs to go and work on a blue blood staff somewhere for a bit before coming back. Who knows what the problem is at Indiana, but if you can put a quality product on the floor in West Lafayette then you can do the same in Bloomington. Expectations there are sky high but it's been a long time to say the least.
I bet he ends up in Kentucky under Cal and will be groomed to replace him when the time comes for Cal to skip town just before the investigators swoop down.
Mad Props to frisco flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (03-19-2021)
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2021, 08:51 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by frisco flyer View Post
I bet he ends up in Kentucky under Cal and will be groomed to replace him when the time comes for Cal to skip town just before the investigators swoop down.
Archie Miller is NOT going to be anyone's assistant coach. His next job will be as a head coach in very respectable conference. He didn't lose his status as a great coach in the A10 just because he didn't win enough in the Big Ten.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-26-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 11:56 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,043 Times in 2,687 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
Archie Miller is NOT going to be anyone's assistant coach. His next job will be as a head coach in very respectable conference. He didn't lose his status as a great coach in the A10 just because he didn't win enough in the Big Ten.
I agree that he will become a HC somewhere, but I don’t think his next gig will be in a P5 conference. It’s very possible that the perception could be “He couldn’t win at Indiana, even with the resources he had at his disposal. What makes you think he can win here?”, wherever “here” is.

I think a job in the AAC, the Mountain West, the BE, or (gasp) the A10 is a very real possibility. But the B1G? No. ACC? Not likely. SEC? Maybe a few schools would have interest. I just think he needs to rebuild his reputation a bit, after these past 4 seasons.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2021, 01:09 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,163 Times in 5,120 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone that takes the Fordham job in 2021 is loco. They havent been relevant since Tom Penders was there.

Would Marquette take an interest in Archie?

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
"Yeah....220, 221, whatever it takes." - Jack Butler (Mr. Mom)
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bill McPeek (03-27-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 01:11 AM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
I agree that he will become a HC somewhere, but I don’t think his next gig will be in a P5 conference. It’s very possible that the perception could be “He couldn’t win at Indiana, even with the resources he had at his disposal. What makes you think he can win here?”, wherever “here” is.

I think a job in the AAC, the Mountain West, the BE, or (gasp) the A10 is a very real possibility. But the B1G? No. ACC? Not likely. SEC? Maybe a few schools would have interest. I just think he needs to rebuild his reputation a bit, after these past 4 seasons.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think he could find himself in the PAC-12 or Big East or in some of the bottom feeders of some of the other P5(Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Wake Forest, Boston College, Pittsburgh). There is a happy medium there between Dayton and Indiana and I'm sure some will look at it that he learned on the Hoosier's dime.

Really it's all about evaluating what went wrong at Indiana and if it was a lot of mistakes on AM's part or if it was just a bad match.

I just hope he doesn't wind up at X. There's so much undeserved hate for him on this site as it is.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:30 AM
General

Thanked 3,923 Times in 2,155 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Don't if the is interest there but I think UNLV would be a good fit for him. Multi-bid league, not impossible to get into the top of the conference with San Diego State
Old 03-20-2021, 10:03 AM

Thanked 4,302 Times in 1,764 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Archie is damaged goods right now. I would be very surprised if any program gambles on him. However, NM made a head scratching decision to hire Pitino.

Most often, coaches will lay low for a year or two and let the dust settle before going after another head coaching job. The time in the NBA seemed to help Anthony. It gave him him a chance to add NBA to his recruiting resume as well as look at the game with a different perspective. A fresh perspective on coaching never hurts.
Old 03-20-2021, 10:51 AM
General of the Air Force

T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Good points, all, about Archie’s next stop. My $0.02 worth:

I can see him landing at a place like UNLV, a high/mid-major. South Carolina was one of the SEC schools I had in mind when I said that a few schools might have interest. But I agree with STF that his “brand” is damaged right now, which makes a lateral move (PSU? BC?) unlikely right now.

Also, as far as BE opportunities are concerned, I could see Marquette having some interesting after deep-sixing Woj. But I can’t see him going to X, for the same reason I can’t see him landing a PAC gig over the next few seasons: sibling rivalry, and the inevitable comparisons to Sean.

I also can’t see him landing at a low-major school, for reasons of personal pride. Imagine going from a home court that seats 17,000 to a home court that seats 1,700, in a town of 7,000 vs. 70,000. A competitor like him could not swallow a pill like that. Just IMHO.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2021, 11:10 AM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I think you've got to be really careful about what job you take if you're Arch. It's possible he could get a South Carolina tier power conference job (Mark Fox got Cal after a mediocre run at Georgia) but getting a bad job in a power conference is putting yourself in a tough position

If you take a UNLV type job you've got a better chance to set yourself up success and see where things are 5 years down the road
Old 03-20-2021, 11:13 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,288 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
He had an excellent gig right here, and as things turned out, he should have stayed.
But he didn't and we ended up with AG. I'd say we ended up a winner. AM has some work to do. IU (ie booster) probably will not be on the hook for all 10M, as AM will not sit out three years.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
frisco flyer (03-20-2021), longtimefan67 (03-21-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 11:39 AM
General

Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
He had an excellent gig right here, and as things turned out, he should have stayed.
But he didn't and we ended up with AG. I'd say we ended up a winner. AM has some work to do. IU (ie booster) probably will not be on the hook for all 10M, as AM will not sit out three years.
to be determined on that
Old 03-20-2021, 11:51 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,165 Times in 2,722 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
Don't if the is interest there but I think UNLV would be a good fit for him. Multi-bid league, not impossible to get into the top of the conference with San Diego State
Morgan would LOVE UNLV!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2021, 03:41 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by cj View Post
Morgan would LOVE UNLV!
Posted via Mobile Device
Viva Las Vegas!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2021, 03:57 PM

Thanked 6,179 Times in 4,207 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
It would be crazy if Archie ended up at George Mason, never say it won't happen I guess, seems unlikely though for whatever reason.

Pitino took the Louisville job after being at UK.

AG at UD and VCU.

John Groce at OU and Akron.

Huggins at WVU and Kansas State.

Last edited by ud2; 03-20-2021 at 04:08 PM..
Old 03-20-2021, 04:03 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Louisville lets go of assistants Luke Murray and Dino Gaudio, hmmm
Old 03-20-2021, 04:16 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,347 Times in 1,342 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Tony Bergeron officially bought out of his contract at UMass. I'm sure that was the big reason Mitchell entered the portal. Won't be surprised if some of the other six Woodstock Academy players on the roster enter the portal too.

Word is McCall is safe for now and the AD wants to see if he can turn things around without Bergeron controlling much of the program. I'd say letting Bergeron control the program the last three years shows McCall is weak.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
Tony Bergeron officially bought out of his contract at UMass. I'm sure that was the big reason Mitchell entered the portal. Won't be surprised if some of the other six Woodstock Academy players on the roster enter the portal too.

Word is McCall is safe for now and the AD wants to see if he can turn things around without Bergeron controlling much of the program. I'd say letting Bergeron control the program the last three years shows McCall is weak.
Thought this was interesting, the writer publicly accuses former UMass hc Kellogg of paying 2 former players. Says that was why Pat Kelsey withdrew his candidacy 30 minutes before UMass' presser introducing Kelsey as the new hc 4 years ago.

https://www.atholdailynews.com/Keeping-Score-39495678:

The Minutemen were 22-24 during the Tre Mitchell era. His shocking decision to transfer was a haunting reminder of four years ago on March 23 when Pat Kelsey bolted Amherst a half hour before his scheduled press conference. Kelsey came from little known Winthrop University in South Carolina, where he had racked up a 102-59 record in five years.

“He’s gonna rock it at UMass,” promised Bret McCormick, the beat writer for The Herald of Rock Hill, S.C. “His teams play fast on offense and kind of ‘pack’ it on defense. The veins will start popping when he gets going. He’s very emotional.”

Kelsey played for the late Skip Prosser at Xavier and was his assistant at Wake Forest until a summer day in 2007 when Prosser died in his office after jogging. He walked away from a five year, $4 million deal in Amherst that would’ve quadrupled his income. No official reason was given, but word had it that two UMass players had asked Kelsey if they’d be getting the same financial arrangement they had with deposed coach Derek Kellogg. Those two players are still in the game and playing for a team that’s in the NCAA title hunt.
Old 03-23-2021, 11:11 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,118 Times in 2,611 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
George Mason hires Tennessee Assistant and former Missouri Star Kim English

Only 32 years old
Old 03-23-2021, 11:56 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,198 Times in 584 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 View Post
George Mason hires Tennessee Assistant and former Missouri Star Kim English

Only 32 years old
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...?ocid=msedgdhp
Old 03-23-2021, 01:55 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,012 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
It would be crazy if Archie ended up at George Mason, never say it won't happen I guess, seems unlikely though for whatever reason.

Pitino took the Louisville job after being at UK.

AG at UD and VCU.

John Groce at OU and Akron.

Huggins at WVU and Kansas State.
It won't happen.
Old 03-23-2021, 03:06 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,767 Times in 1,133 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Minnesota hires Xavier assistant Ben Johnson.

I don’t recall a Big 10 program hiring an assistant, never before head coach from another program. Izzo was a long time assistant to Jud before he was hired. Seems like quite a leap. I know he is from Minnesota but I consider this a risky hire.

I wonder how much this might hurt X?
Old 03-23-2021, 03:27 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by springborofan View Post

I don’t recall a Big 10 program hiring an assistant, never before head coach from another program. Izzo was a long time assistant to Jud before he was hired. Seems like quite a leap. I know he is from Minnesota but I consider this a risky hire.

Not sure if your reference of being "from Minnesota" is re: his birthplace or that he's from the Minnesota program. But he played at Minnesota and coached as an assistant at Minnesota for 5 or 6 years. I don't see this as a massive leap or reach on the Gophers. The athletic administration and fan base are more than familiar with him.

In regards to Xavier, who knows how much it will hurt. The opportunity to go "home" and take a mid-tier, perhaps bottom third B10 job is very enticing for a first time head coach. Add in that Steele may be navigating some thin ice himself, this makes sense. Probably for both sides.

He was also a GA at Dayton in 2005-06, so he started his career with some strong pedigree.
Old 03-24-2021, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by springborofan View Post

Yeah, seems risky...I do not recall him being mentioned for other hc jobs in the past either...seems like Big 10 coaches almost always have prior hc experience...good luck to him.

Really a very surprising hire IMO, almost unheard of for a p5 job these days it seems, very hard to believe.

And Steele is struggling, which makes this even harder to believe.

Last edited by ud2; 03-24-2021 at 01:01 AM..
Old 03-24-2021, 02:17 PM
Brigadier General

SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
I'm hearing Travis Ford could be a legit candidate at Marquette. Seems dependent on Porter Moser's reciprocated interest with Marquette. This surprises me re: Ford. Not sure what's on his resume that Marquette would be so endeared to.

And there's plenty of SLU blue bloods who've always thought Moser could/would be SLU's next coach (should Ford ever leave) since he was here for a couple of years under Majerus, in an odd coincidence.

I'd HATE to see Ford leave SLU, as I don't think a coaching change disruption would be good for the program or the A10.
Old 03-24-2021, 03:40 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
Ford May Leave SLU

because CAG owns him.
Mad Props to Alberto Strasse For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-26-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 09:44 PM

Some reports about Indiana offering the hc job to Thad Matta, but then the deal was off because TM failed his physical examination...conflicting reports as to if this is true, IU is denying the reports, IU says they never offered him the job.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by SLUFLYER View Post
I'm hearing Travis Ford could be a legit candidate at Marquette. Seems dependent on Porter Moser's reciprocated interest with Marquette. This surprises me re: Ford. Not sure what's on his resume that Marquette would be so endeared to.
Ford: 2 NIT's and 1 NCAAT in 5 years at SLU, not bad considering SLU's history(assuming NIT last year)...5 NCAAT's at Ok State...won at UMass and EKU...he has a good track record...not many coaches have won at 4 d1 schools

Last edited by ud2; 03-24-2021 at 09:58 PM..
Old 03-25-2021, 06:08 AM
Major

Flyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond repute
Some reports about Indiana offering the hc job to Thad Matta, but then the deal was off because TM failed his physical examination...conflicting reports as to if this is true, IU is denying the reports, IU says they never offered him the job.
Thad has some serious back problems which gave him a floppy foot which a lot of Dr's say you can't recover from. It takes a lot of physical therapy after your back surgery. I did 3 months before surgery and 3 months after.

Also find the right neurosurgeon I ended up at the Cleveland Clinic. Fixed me but I do need more surgery as back is detouring (74 yrs old)
Old 03-25-2021, 07:40 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,221 Times in 549 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer2 View Post
Thad has some serious back problems which gave him a floppy foot which a lot of Dr's say you can't recover from. It takes a lot of physical therapy after your back surgery. I did 3 months before surgery and 3 months after.

Also find the right neurosurgeon I ended up at the Cleveland Clinic. Fixed me but I do need more surgery as back is detouring (74 yrs old)
Had my surgery done by OIO in Lima. Missed 6 weeks of work and never had a setback in the last 10 years. BTW, my job some days involves handling 600 or more 50 lb. bags.
Mad Props to UDGutter2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
st marys (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 10:32 AM
Brigadier General

Ford: 2 NIT's and 1 NCAAT in 5 years at SLU, not bad considering SLU's history(assuming NIT last year)...5 NCAAT's at Ok State...won at UMass and EKU...he has a good track record...not many coaches have won at 4 d1 schools
I guess that depends on how you define winning. He's 1-6 in the NCAAt and he's never received an at-large bid to the NCAAt outside of Stillwater, OK. Not at UMass nor at SLU has he been an at-large. Never made the NCAAt at UMass and won 4 games in 4 days to snag the A10 auto bid a few years ago. IMO, those are programs that expect to contend for and receive at-large bids. Between his time at UMass and SLU, he's 0 for 8.

He was so endeared at Okie St they fired him and paid him $2.5MIL/year for 3 years why he was coaching at SLU.

Again, I'm not suggesting he's a poor coach. But what is Marquette seeing that says "Hey, let's fire our coach that's gotten us 2 at-large bids in the seven years he's been here and hire a guy who's not been able to snag an at-large bid at his current gig."
Old 03-25-2021, 11:16 AM
General

Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,408 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I guess that depends on how you define winning. He's 1-6 in the NCAAt and he's never received an at-large bid to the NCAAt outside of Stillwater, OK. Not at UMass nor at SLU has he been an at-large. Never made the NCAAt at UMass and won 4 games in 4 days to snag the A10 auto bid a few years ago. IMO, those are programs that expect to contend for and receive at-large bids. Between his time at UMass and SLU, he's 0 for 8.

He was so endeared at Okie St they fired him and paid him $2.5MIL/year for 3 years why he was coaching at SLU.

Again, I'm not suggesting he's a poor coach. But what is Marquette seeing that says "Hey, let's fire our coach that's gotten us 2 at-large bids in the seven years he's been here and hire a guy who's not been able to snag an at-large bid at his current gig."
Delusions of grandeur.
Old 03-25-2021, 11:41 AM

We just have a slight difference of opinion, you asked what does MU see in him. I provided a reasonable response, you didn't think my response justified MU's interest.

The pool of experienced candidates with a reasonable amount of success may not be that large, perhaps that explains why Matta might have been/may still be in the running at IU. Matta was sort of petering out at OSU at the end of his tenure there when OSU started missing the NCAAT, plus he has health problems, yet he is still drawing interest.

There are only so many coaches out there with NCAAT bids/success, or NIT bids/success for some lesser schools, on their resume, that is why Ford is drawing interest. Otherwise, you have to take a flier on somebody with no experience or success like MN did with Ben Johnson.

Last edited by ud2; 03-25-2021 at 11:46 AM..
Old 03-25-2021, 11:45 AM
Brigadier General

We just have a slight difference of opinion, you asked what does MU see in him. I provided a reasonable response, you didn't think my response justified MU's interest.

The pool of experienced candidates with a reasonable amount of success may not be that large, perhaps that explains why Matta might have been/may still be in the running at IU. Matta was sort of petering out at OSU at the end of his tenure there when OSU started missing the NCAAT, plus he has health problems, yet he is still drawing interest.

There are only so many coaches out there with NCAAT bids/success on their resume, that is why Ford is getting interest. Otherwise, you have to take a flier on somebody with no experience or success like MN did with Ben Johnson.
Understood. I guess a better question or rephrased question from me might be "What does MU see in Travis Ford that they already didn't/don't have with Wojo?
Old 03-25-2021, 11:47 AM

And no offense, but what Ford did at UMass and SLU is not bad at all relative to the history of those 2 schools, neither SLU nor UMass is a juggernaut.
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-26-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 11:56 AM
Brigadier General

And no offense, but what Ford did at UMass and SLU is not bad at all relative to the history of those 2 schools, neither SLU nor UMass is a juggernaut.
Agree 100%. Ford is doing a "decent job". I'd give him a B, maybe B+ grade. SLU is happy with Ford. Most fans are happy with Ford.

But SLU is not one to settle in with average to slightly above average results/consistency. They want to compete for annual at-large bids and A10 championships (both regular season and conference tourney).

If Travis couldn't get it done this year (COVID issues aside and a shame), with as talented and experienced a roster he's had, then when?
Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
Columbia Blue (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 12:10 PM

Understood. I guess a better question or rephrased question from me might be "What does MU see in Travis Ford that they already didn't/don't have with Wojo?
This all gets a little murky imo, there is no clear answer.

Wojo was 3/7 making the NCAAT at MU.

Ford did produce success at varying levels at all 4 of his d1 stops. I assume MU thinks he can get back to the level he was at at Ok State, which IMO, is a reasonable assumption. He was 5/8 making the NCAAT at OSU.

MU could be at the top of the BE with the right hire: big fanbase, nice arena, great tradition, etc. It's not a homerun hire I guess, but he might be the best of who is available. They might feel he can get them to the top of the BE.

I am not sure where OSU would be ranked at in the Big12 pecking order when Ford was there, it's all a little murky.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:25 PM

And Wojo had 7 years, he did not hit it big there, he had a 5 seed the one year and got upset in the round of 64. He was certainly competent at MU, but fans get restless and want big results, 7 years is a fairly long time, you start to get stale after a while if you don't hit it big.

Maybe they feel like OSU was more of a middling Big 12 job, and if Ford is given one of the top BE jobs, he can hit it big. And maybe there is nobody bigger that wants the MU job.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:47 PM

And look at Earl Grant and T.J. Otzelberger at BC and ISU, are they clearly better than Ford? Not really imo. And are BC and ISU better jobs than MU? I am not sure, ISU maybe, but BC maybe?, BC was great under Al Skinner, maybe BC has just had a string of bad coaches. It's all murky.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:51 PM
Major General

steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Agree 100%. Ford is doing a "decent job". I'd give him a B, maybe B+ grade. SLU is happy with Ford. Most fans are happy with Ford.

But SLU is not one to settle in with average to slightly above average results/consistency. They want to compete for annual at-large bids and A10 championships (both regular season and conference tourney).

If Travis couldn't get it done this year (COVID issues aside and a shame), with as talented and experienced a roster he's had, then when?
Just not sure a team went thru more than them, though. Reps reps reps are just as important as in football/baseball. Don't even want to know the amount of missed practices they had.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:56 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by steve View Post
Just not sure a team went thru more than them, though. Reps reps reps are just as important as in football/baseball. Don't even want to know the amount of missed practices they had.
Regardless, it seems clear that Travis isn't Marquette's #1 target, otherwise the deal would be done announced, IMO. I'm hearing from reliable sources that Moser would listen to Marquette. If they're waiting on that, it appears Moser might very well be their top target.

While a coaching disruption at SLU wouldn't be ideal for the program/A10, if they could snag Moser from Loyola in Ford's departure, I could make a case that SLU would be upgrading.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:07 PM
Lieutenant General

CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Regardless, it seems clear that Travis isn't Marquette's #1 target, otherwise the deal would be done announced, IMO. I'm hearing from reliable sources that Moser would listen to Marquette. If they're waiting on that, it appears Moser might very well be their top target.

While a coaching disruption at SLU wouldn't be ideal for the program/A10, if they could snag Moser from Loyola in Ford's departure, I could make a case that SLU would be upgrading.
I have heard Moser is their main target too and I've also heard he may be interested.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:25 PM
General of the Air Force

lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Oklahoma’s Lon Kruger retiring
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-26-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 02:35 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by frisco flyer View Post
Delusions of grandeur.
In a word: hubris.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2021, 02:40 PM

I have heard Moser is their main target too and I've also heard he may be interested.
He would not have to move super far, only about 1.5 hours up the road from Chicago to Milwaukee, he might not want to do a full-scale relocation. The NW job is not open, and DePaul struggles. No other big Chicago-area jobs. He is from Naperville, Illinois, outside of Chicago. He went to high school outside of Chicago in Lisle, Illinois.

He may have been waiting for a while for the MU job to open up.

Last edited by ud2; 03-25-2021 at 03:01 PM..
Old 03-25-2021, 04:14 PM
Captain

Southwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by UDGutter2 View Post
Had my surgery done by OIO in Lima. Missed 6 weeks of work and never had a setback in the last 10 years. BTW, my job some days involves handling 600 or more 50 lb. bags.

Holy crap. Are you employed as a pack mule?
Old 03-25-2021, 04:26 PM
General of the Air Force

Pat Kelsey leaves Winthrop for College of Charleston
Flyer 86 (03-26-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 04:38 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Pat Kelsey leaves Winthrop for College of Charleston
That doesn’t seem like much of a step up. Am I wrong?
Old 03-25-2021, 05:43 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
You're not wrong at all. In fact my buddy who's a big X fan was hoping they were going to get rid of Stevens and sign him. Wishful thinking obviously.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (03-25-2021), Flyer 86 (03-26-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 09:42 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by steve View Post
You're not wrong at all. In fact my buddy who's a big X fan was hoping they were going to get rid of Stevens and sign him. Wishful thinking obviously.
I think you meant “Steele”, and IMHO Kelsey would have been a step up from Steele. But, then again, what’s to say that Kelsey would not have been met with a “request” similar to the one that came his way upon his arrival at UMass?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2021, 10:02 PM
Colonel

udscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these parts
AM to UC ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2021, 11:34 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Columbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
Big South to CAA and double the money according to Stadium's Goodman.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:44 AM
General

Thanked 4,344 Times in 2,135 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Shaka to Marquette
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 11:53 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,288 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=Medford;658693]Shaka to Marquette[/QUOT

When it looks like you may get run out of town, might as well get in front of it and look like you are leading the parade. Having said that he will probably do fine at MU. Texas was a struggle.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-26-2021), SLUFLYER (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 12:03 PM
General

Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
He's from the area as well IIRC, so makes it an easy sell on why he would leave 'going home' Wonder who Texas will go after.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:18 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
My sources:
Shaka Smart to Marquette for sure
Jalen Crutcher to Duke for grad asst year!!!! 50/50 chance
Old 03-26-2021, 12:19 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
not grad asst, to play as a senior transfer
Old 03-26-2021, 12:36 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,459 Times in 777 Posts
Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Piqua Flyer '66 View Post
not grad asst, to play as a senior transfer
Good hor Jalen. That could provide a needed jolt to his draft status.
Mad Props to Hyde Park Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 01:26 PM

SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
MarquetteScott is already moaning about the hire.

- Shaka's record at VCU does not count. He won with Anthony Grant's players
- Shaka was horrible at Texas. They should be in the NCAA Final Four every year. Not even close. He even went to the NIT. Finished 4-14 in conference in his second year. No excuses.
- Shaka is a phony and horrible coach. He can't wait for him to fail at Marquette.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (03-26-2021), Flyer 86 (03-26-2021), SLUFLYER (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 03:06 PM
Colonel

udscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
MarquetteScott is already moaning about the hire.

- Shaka's record at VCU does not count. He won with Anthony Grant's players
- Shaka was horrible at Texas. They should be in the NCAA Final Four every year. Not even close. He even went to the NIT. Finished 4-14 in conference in his second year. No excuses.
- Shaka is a phony and horrible coach. He can't wait for him to fail at Marquette.
LOL see that’s funny
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to udscott For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 03:08 PM
Colonel

My sources:
Who’s your source ? AARP ?
He isn’t going to Duke lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2021, 03:51 PM
Colonel

Shaka 5/6 years NCAA Appearances at VCU
4/6 NCAA Appearances at Texas

AG can’t even sniff that !
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2021, 05:22 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
My sources:
If it's 50/50 he goes to Duke, then it must be 100% a surprise to Duke. Duke can't contact JC or his family until he graduates or enters the transfer portal. I do not believe he has done either as of yet.
Old 03-26-2021, 05:46 PM
General

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,551 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
My sources:
I seriously doubt Jalen would start next year at Duke.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:02 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,285 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
UC may be looking for a new HC soon

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...ys/ar-BB1f0ciL
Old 03-26-2021, 11:38 PM
General

Thought this was interesting, the writer publicly accuses former UMass hc Kellogg of paying 2 former players. Says that was why Pat Kelsey withdrew his candidacy 30 minutes before UMass' presser introducing Kelsey as the new hc 4 years ago.

https://www.atholdailynews.com/Keeping-Score-39495678:

The Minutemen were 22-24 during the Tre Mitchell era. His shocking decision to transfer was a haunting reminder of four years ago on March 23 when Pat Kelsey bolted Amherst a half hour before his scheduled press conference. Kelsey came from little known Winthrop University in South Carolina, where he had racked up a 102-59 record in five years.

“He’s gonna rock it at UMass,” promised Bret McCormick, the beat writer for The Herald of Rock Hill, S.C. “His teams play fast on offense and kind of ‘pack’ it on defense. The veins will start popping when he gets going. He’s very emotional.”

Kelsey played for the late Skip Prosser at Xavier and was his assistant at Wake Forest until a summer day in 2007 when Prosser died in his office after jogging. He walked away from a five year, $4 million deal in Amherst that would’ve quadrupled his income. No official reason was given, but word had it that two UMass players had asked Kelsey if they’d be getting the same financial arrangement they had with deposed coach Derek Kellogg. Those two players are still in the game and playing for a team that’s in the NCAA title hunt.
Gotta be a reference to DeJon Jarreau and Brison Gresham at Houston
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyer016 (03-28-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 02:18 AM

Posted via Mobile Device
Houston hc Kelvin Sampson has been in trouble for rules violation in the past, he got fired at Indiana for rules violations. Was some rules trouble when he was at Oklahoma too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelv...CAA_violations

Last edited by ud2; 03-27-2021 at 02:25 AM..
Old 03-27-2021, 06:16 AM
General of the Air Force

Posted via Mobile Device
That was my deduction, too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyer016 (03-28-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 10:07 AM
General of the Air Force

Utah hires Utah State's Craig Smith, interesting dynamic lol
Flyer 86 (03-27-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 05:08 PM
General of the Air Force

cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Now that Loyola is out where will their coach end up? Or will he stay put? If there is one thing to consider it is that the grass is not always greener, right Archie?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2021, 12:13 AM

Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,080 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Now that Loyola is out where will their coach end up? Or will he stay put? If there is one thing to consider it is that the grass is not always greener, right Archie?
Posted via Mobile Device
Sister Jean will enter the transfer portal. Smart money has her as the BYU team chaplain next year.
Old 03-28-2021, 02:11 AM

Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Shaka leaving for Marquette tells me more about how Texas felt about Shaka than how Shaka feels about Marquette. Reminds me of Purnell leaving Clemson for DePaul. Probably not a bad coaching move to get out before you're pushed out so you can do it on your own terms.

This is the same Texas that fired Rick Barnes after he took them to 16 NCAAs in 17 seasons including a Final Four. He won 19 NCAA postseason games and recruited 2 NPOYs in Ford and Durant. Not good enough. Marquette is not a better job than Texas -- maybe 40 years ago when Al was coaching but not now. Crean got them to a modern era Final Four, but as we're seeing now -- you can get to a Final Four from just about anywhere in today's climate. Im sure this was a mutual dissolution of marriage.

4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (03-28-2021), Flyer 86 (03-28-2021), SeasonTicketFan (03-28-2021), SLUFLYER (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 08:37 AM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Kind of like BG leaving for Georgia Tech
Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
SLUFLYER (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Shaka leaving for Marquette tells me more about how Texas felt about Shaka than how Shaka feels about Marquette. Reminds me of Purnell leaving Clemson for DePaul. Probably not a bad coaching move to get out before you're pushed out so you can do it on your own terms.

This is the same Texas that fired Rick Barnes after he took them to 16 NCAAs in 17 seasons including a Final Four. He won 19 NCAA postseason games and recruited 2 NPOYs in Ford and Durant. Not good enough. Marquette is not a better job than Texas -- maybe 40 years ago when Al was coaching but not now. Crean got them to a modern era Final Four, but as we're seeing now -- you can get to a Final Four from just about anywhere in today's climate. Im sure this was a mutual dissolution of marriage.
IMO, that is a one-sided representation of what happened at Texas under Barnes.

17 years, 1 Final 4, 2 Elite 8's, 2 Sweet 16's, 5 Round of 32's, 6 Round of 64's, and a CBI. Never got past the round of 32 in the last 7 years.

I just think he got stale, they had 5 chances to push thru to a championship and did not win it all. They want to win it all, just like everybody does. Too many losses in the first 2 rounds also.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick...oaching_record
Old 03-28-2021, 10:30 AM

Fans and boosters expectations for programs are almost always unrealistically high.
Shaka did win a single NCAA tournament game at Texas. They want and expect a Final Four or at least Sweet Sixteen ever year.

Crean was let go at Indiana two years after a sweet sixteen. And so on...

100 NCAA fan bases think they should be in the top 25 every year.

Expectations at UD are very often unrealistic too, considering the conference we reside. And now even more unrealistic after last year. UD should be in the top four of the A10 every year. That is realistic. Making the NCAA is still a challenge. Two years ago, UD finished 3rd in the league and did not make it.

This year was obviously a disaster year.
Old 03-28-2021, 01:54 PM

IMO, that is a one-sided representation of what happened at Texas under Barnes.

17 years, 1 Final 4, 2 Elite 8's, 2 Sweet 16's, 5 Round of 32's, 6 Round of 64's, and a CBI. Never got past the round of 32 in the last 7 years.

I just think he got stale, they had 5 chances to push thru to a championship and did not win it all. They want to win it all, just like everybody does. Too many losses in the first 2 rounds also.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick...oaching_record
That's my point. If Barnes was considered failing at Texas, Shaka crashed and burned the burnt orange bus. The round of 32 is still a round beyond 64 and that was Shakas only claim to fame. Most of Barnes worst years were Shakas best. Yet both were told to seek other pastures.

Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 03:41 PM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,945 Times in 2,942 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Rat Face is being hired by IU as Associate AD for men’s basketball and will work with Woodson:

https://mobile.twitter.com/GreggDoye...56649283964931
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2021, 04:25 PM

Interesting hire on both fronts.
Woodson does not have a great NBA coaching record. IUscott will be very upset. But he is an alum.

Matta is a big mentor to Archie Miller. That surprised me too.
Old 03-28-2021, 05:38 PM

Who is Mike Woodson? Never heard of him. Spending $10 million+ to get rid of Archie to get Mike Woodson?
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-30-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 05:58 PM
General

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,551 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Who is Mike Woodson? Never heard of him. Spending $10 million+ to get rid of Archie to get Mike Woodson?
Mike Woodson is 63 years old and has no college coaching experience. Wow, I wish IU the best, but this looks like a mediocre selection at best.
Old 03-28-2021, 06:25 PM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sea Bass View Post
Kind of like BG leaving for Georgia Tech
I was thinking that originally but BGs move was viewed as “up” by most. Shaka’s move is a step down. I do agree both felt the heat and made preemptive moves.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:00 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Woodson was a star at IU in the 70s
Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (03-29-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 07:00 PM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post

Never understood UT dumping Barnes. Who knows what the underlying factors were, but if that isn't success in NCAA Mens Basketball then pass over whatever you're smoking.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:50 AM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post
Rat Face is being hired by IU as Associate AD for men’s basketball and will work with Woodson:

https://mobile.twitter.com/GreggDoye...56649283964931
Posted via Mobile Device
These kind of arrangements never seem to work out in my opinion. "We want you as our next coach, but oh by the way we don't think you can really do it so we are bringing in another guy as an administrator to make sure you do it the way he would do it."

Ask Kevin Ollie how it worked out for him at UConn having Calhoun stick around as his "mentor". Now granted they won a National Championship in his first year, but once Ollie got sick of having Calhoun around all the time and having to do it his way things got ugly.

UMass also brought in a veteran guy, Paul Cormier, to "oversee" things because the AD was worried Tony Bergeron was running the asylum and Matt McCall was being overpowered by him. Apparently Cormier reported back to the AD that what he thought was true and they finally parted ways with Bergeron this year. McCall now has a chance to be "his own man" but I'm guessing that is going to be short lived too.
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 11:27 AM
General of the Air Force

Villanova Assistant Kyle Neptune expected to be named new Fordham HC
Flyer 86 (03-30-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 11:46 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,644 Times in 703 Posts
Monster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond repute
Good luck Kyle Neptune. Sounds like career suicide, but it’s a good paycheck for 3 or 4 years.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2021, 03:36 PM

Saw a tweet saying that NBA coaches moving to the college ranks does not work most of the time, but there are exceptions such as Musselman at Arkansas and Juwan Howard at Michigan. Good luck to Mike Woodson.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:40 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,198 Times in 584 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
Villanova Assistant Kyle Neptune expected to be named new Fordham HC
I hope that Neptune has his Trident ready. He's going to need it. Fordham... where coaches go to die......
Old 03-29-2021, 08:48 PM
Brigadier General

And there's plenty of SLU blue bloods who've always thought Moser could/would be SLU's next coach (should Ford ever leave) since he was here for a couple of years under Majerus, in an odd coincidence.

I'd HATE to see Ford leave SLU, as I don't think a coaching change disruption would be good for the program or the A10.
I'd like to apologize for this mis-information. I was completely mis-understood when my buddy said "Travis" interviewed for the Marquette job. Not sure why I automatically assumed Travis FORD, as we also have a mutual friend/acquaintance named Travis who actually made more sense.

Either way, apologies. THIS makes much more sense, as I would have been puzzled should there have been a mutual interest between Ford and Marquette.

In my Obi Wan Kenobi jedi-mind trick voice "Move along. Nothing to see here."
Old 03-29-2021, 09:37 PM
Brigadier General

Re: Woodson to IU

My initial thought was that that his hire was really a reach. The Thad Matta hire in conjunction made me at least pause on that opinion. Now I'm hearing that IU/Woodson has reached out to Larry Brown about joining the staff.

If they can surround Woodson with enough experience, even if just for a few years, to help him navigate the college/recruiting landscape, it could work very well. Similar to Martelli with Howard at Michigan.

If they can handle/control any type of ego(s) and who may want to swing biggest stick in the room, it could be a good situation set up for success.
Old 03-30-2021, 07:05 AM
General of the Air Force

My initial thought was that that his hire was really a reach. The Thad Matta hire in conjunction made me at least pause on that opinion. Now I'm hearing that IU/Woodson has reached out to Larry Brown about joining the staff.

If they can surround Woodson with enough experience, even if just for a few years, to help him navigate the college/recruiting landscape, it could work very well. Similar to Martelli with Howard at Michigan.

If they can handle/control any type of ego(s) and who may want to swing biggest stick in the room, it could be a good situation set up for success.
So in addition to Archie’s buyout, IU is ponying up quite a lot of salary for the new staff.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:34 AM
General

Larry Brown is a great coach, however everything he touches turns to Scandal. Davidson...he quit mid summer before every coaching a game. UCLA had NCAA games vacated. He left Kansas in scandal, then SMU.

Hiring him as a consultant, sure I could see that, someone to help formulate practice plans, game plans, break down film, etc... but an actual assistant coach... why would IU do that with a man in his 80s who just recently came off his show-cause penalty period from SMU.
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 08:44 AM
Lieutenant General

What it sounds like to me is...

"We really like you Woodson but we're not completely sold on you. BUT we really like Thad Matta, but he has health issues so we couldn't hire him as HC. So therefore we are going to hire him as a "consultant" and he's going to tell you how to do it his way. Oh and by the way we are also going to hire this 80 year old guy to be your assistant because he knows how to "turn programs around" (wink, wink). So welcome and thanks for being our new puppet...err I mean head coach."
Old 03-30-2021, 09:53 AM
General of the Air Force

Woodson, the Joe Biden of basketball coaches.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to cj For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-30-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 10:33 AM
General of the Air Force

Roy Williams retires

Massive job opens up
Old 04-01-2021, 10:33 AM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
lhsgolf19 just beat me...LOL

"Roy Williams, UNC Chapel Hill basketball coach, announces retirement"

https://myfox8.com/sports/roy-willia...es-retirement/
Old 04-01-2021, 10:41 AM
Brigadier General

Roy Williams retires

Massive job opens up
Yeah, you could see this coming.

Wow. Tectonic shift within the blue blood landscape. Rippling effects will be interesting.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:19 AM
General of the Air Force

April Fools Day is Dead lol

Texas hires Chris Beard, big time hire for them
Canonball (04-02-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 11:37 AM
Lieutenant General

Maybe Roy's retirement indicates that the NCAA is finally going to come down on UNC for their improprieties....doubtful but wishful thinking.
Old 04-01-2021, 01:49 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,221 Times in 549 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
UNC must be facing a hefty penalty.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:09 PM

Thanked 10,180 Times in 5,906 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe Roy's retirement indicates that the NCAA is finally going to come down on UNC for their improprieties....doubtful but wishful thinking.
He 70. Maybe he is retiring. Coach K is probably going soon, but he probably wants to go out on a good season. He is 74.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-01-2021)