UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-28-2011, 10:19 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
"frenetic" defense

I am very interested to see what that looks like. If there is one main area I disliked BGs style of play it was on defense. They applied ball pressure but rarely attempted to deny passes (which accounted for low steal totals). I am a fan of extending the defense and challenging some passes, especially those to the wing to initiate offense.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayto...s-1275916.html
Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (10-28-2011)
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Major

SHQCKEY is a splendid one to beholdSHQCKEY is a splendid one to beholdSHQCKEY is a splendid one to beholdSHQCKEY is a splendid one to beholdSHQCKEY is a splendid one to beholdSHQCKEY is a splendid one to behold
Archie gave a lot of clues in that article as to what his rotation will look like. It sounds like we'll see most of the minutes going to the seven upperclassmen.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:55 AM

Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SHQCKEY View Post
Archie gave a lot of clues in that article as to what his rotation will look like. It sounds like we'll see most of the minutes going to the seven upperclassmen.
certainly not a surprise although I am interested to see how Oliver will be used.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:02 AM
Major

SHQCKEY is a splendid one to beholdSHQCKEY is a splendid one to beholdSHQCKEY is a splendid one to beholdSHQCKEY is a splendid one to beholdSHQCKEY is a splendid one to beholdSHQCKEY is a splendid one to behold
I'm not surprised either, just glad to see him confirm it. I think the 7 juniors and seniors are our best players and should get most of the playing time. If nothing else it will be interesting to see how a less frenetic substitution pattern works out for this group.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:47 PM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
I like his assessment and thoughts. His offensive mind appears to be more of what is in line with other successful coaches...play your better players the majority of the minutes...now whether that is by plan or design, will only be found out down the road will a full roster.

It sounds as if AM challenges the way these players were utilized in the past, and that he sees different potential from them.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:02 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,043 Times in 451 Posts
Whacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond repute
Oliver is too good of a passer not to be a contributor in the offense this year. I noticed he was playing some at SG in the scrimmage. If he can defend well enough to stay on the floor, he will create a lot of easy buckets for his teammates.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Whacker For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (10-28-2011), Flyer 86 (10-28-2011), UD Sam (10-28-2011)
Old 10-28-2011, 01:17 PM
General

Thanked 1,267 Times in 785 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Quality and smart, creative passing is one way to make up for questionable shooting and offensive inexperience of this group.

Dillard has an established passing history. If we can have a second teammate giving 3 to 4 assists that creates another 7 to 8 pts of offense.

Haven't seen enuf, just know I am an Oliver believer. Im also curious if Parker improves this year
Old 10-28-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Whacker View Post
Oliver is too good of a passer not to be a contributor in the offense this year.
probably the most underrated skill a player can have. I love the Fraschilla quote "the quality of your passes determines the quality of your shots".
Old 10-28-2011, 08:09 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,409 Times in 577 Posts
anthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sea Bass View Post
I am very interested to see what that looks like. If there is one main area I disliked BGs style of play it was on defense. They applied ball pressure but rarely attempted to deny passes (which accounted for low steal totals). I am a fan of extending the defense and challenging some passes, especially those to the wing to initiate offense.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayto...s-1275916.html
I completely disagree with your opinion of BG's defense. If there was one area I liked about BG's teams, it was their defense (and rebounding a close second). I liked the fact they didn't attempt to deny passes. In fact, I remember some guys last year getting burned quite a bit on back door passes because they were going for the steal (cough...cough...Brandon Spearman). Last year's team was the most undisciplined team in terms of defense I can remember in BG's era. I loved how his teams pressured the ball and eventually wore down most teams by the time the 7 minute mark hit in the 2nd half.

I agree about Devin Oliver. I think the kid has tremendous court vision for a guy his size.

Archie doesn't have big shoes to fill when it comes to offensive efficiency and conference play, but he does when it comes to defense and rebounding.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to anthonycharles For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (10-29-2011), Bat'71 (10-29-2011), Flyer 86 (10-29-2011), Gazoo (10-29-2011)
Old 10-28-2011, 08:45 PM

BGs teams were good defensive teams. Just my personal preference to see more aggressive defense, it's the reason I loved Martellis teams at SJU (until the last few years).
Old 10-28-2011, 09:29 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,409 Times in 577 Posts
anthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sea Bass View Post
BGs teams were good defensive teams. Just my personal preference to see more aggressive defense, it's the reason I loved Martellis teams at SJU (until the last few years).
Agree to disagree. I prefer the more conservative approach of ball pressure. I just feel that a good offense will pick you apart if you gamble in the passing lanes and they will back-door you to death. Make them work hard for their points, and for the most part that's what BG's defenses did.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:38 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
BG's "D"

was excellent. It will be along time before UD fans see a team as skilled at clogging the lane in the half court and denying dribble penitration as when London Warren played and Keith Huelsman roamed underneath. BG's defense was a strenght of the team.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Alberto Strasse For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (10-29-2011), Flyer 86 (10-29-2011)
Old 10-29-2011, 12:00 PM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by anthonycharles View Post
Agree to disagree. I prefer the more conservative approach of ball pressure. I just feel that a good offense will pick you apart if you gamble in the passing lanes and they will back-door you to death. Make them work hard for their points, and for the most part that's what BG's defenses did.
There are different defense strategies. BG used the Tom Izzo, force a bad shot defense approach. Given how weak the last two few teams were offensively, I would have preferred a bit more pressure to increase the tempo as well as create a few more easy baskets. That is the model used by John Thompson and son. Georgetown teams had notoriously weak offensive skill sets (generally, some exceptions) and strong defenses that gave them x many steals and baskets a game.

Given that I did really enjoy the defensive intensity of BGs teams. It was much higher and stronger than say the OP teams.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:14 PM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse View Post
was excellent. It will be along time before UD fans see a team as skilled at clogging the lane in the half court and denying dribble penitration as when London Warren played and Keith Huelsman roamed underneath. BG's defense was a strenght of the team.
That Keith Huelsman was a heck of a player. Left handed and right handed at the same time.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (10-29-2011)
Old 10-29-2011, 02:11 PM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by anthonycharles View Post
I liked the fact they didn't attempt to deny passes. In fact, I remember some guys last year getting burned quite a bit on back door passes because they were going for the steal (cough...cough...Brandon Spearman).
There is a big difference in denying passing lanes and overplaying for a steal.

The backdoors that we got beat on, 9/10 times, weren't because of an overplay in a passing lane, it was because of atrocious rotation on the hedge and on the helpside defense.

I liked the pressure D that BG's teams played. But the helpside defense (ie the old shell drill), with ball denial should be standard and fundamental with any basketball team. We weren't that great on the backside from time to time. Players don't have to go for a steal everytime they are in a passing lane, and they shouldn't. But they should be in a position to deny the ball one pass away, sink lower in the middle two passes away, and if they are three passes away or defending the skip, they should be deep in the lane.

Last edited by shocka43; 10-29-2011 at 02:13 PM..
Old 10-29-2011, 04:22 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

oldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse View Post
Funny I was reading this post but the light Print for D made it look like an O. I thought it was a unique if cynical way of describing BG's offense.