User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-06-2017, 05:39 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
2017-18 Uniforms

Since some of you seem bored and are discussing things in circles on other threads I figured I'd distract you with a uniform thread. UD got new uniforms this year so I doubt they would get new ones next year, but if they do Nike just released their catalogs with the uniforms for next year. I'll also link the women's catalog since they will probably get new ones because they are using the same ones as when the logo changed.

https://niketeam.nike.com///niketeam...Basketball.pdf

https://niketeam.nike.com///niketeam...Basketball.pdf

Check them out and let me know which ones you like. One the online builders work for the new uniforms I will mock them up in UD colors.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-06-2017), ruechalgrin (03-06-2017)
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2017, 07:28 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Something where you can read the frickin numbers and names on the road unis would be great. Kthx.
13 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
AlumUD (03-07-2017), Bat'71 (03-07-2017), Bucketnight (03-07-2017), ClaytonFlyerFan (03-06-2017), dnutz77 (04-26-2017), jack72 (03-06-2017), MikeFlyer (04-25-2017), MrFlyerFanatic (03-07-2017), redbengal (03-06-2017), rollo (03-06-2017), runnerup (03-07-2017), Sid Louick (03-06-2017), UD62 (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 07:30 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,314 Times in 1,327 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Anything but this year's shorts.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:46 PM
Major

Go-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to behold
I agree about the shorts. They look dirty from the 400s.
Mad Props to Go-UD-Go For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 07:58 PM
Lieutenant General

C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by priceg75 View Post
Something where you can read the frickin numbers and names on the road unis would be great. Kthx.
We can hope but I have never seen an outline on "DAYTON" or the #'s on any UD sports uniforms since the new logo started. A white outline on the Red or Blue uniforms around both would help but I don't see it happening.

Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
Anything but this year's shorts.
I just don't like them because so many other teams have the exact same uniforms because they are all limited to the choices in Nike's catalog just like UD is.

Of the ones in the 2017-18 catalog I like the USA or Gonzaga uniforms.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:08 PM
Lieutenant General

CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by C-time View Post
We can hope but I have never seen an outline on "DAYTON" or the #'s on any UD sports uniforms since the new logo started. A white outline on the Red or Blue uniforms around both would help but I don't see it happening.

I just don't like them because so many other teams have the exact same uniforms because they are all limited to the choices in Nike's catalog just like UD is.

Of the ones in the 2017-18 catalog I like the USA or Gonzaga uniforms.
You can't tell me UD can't buy custom made uniforms. I was a high school athletic director for 11 years and if we wanted to pay the high costs we could have had custom uniforms made to our specs.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:25 PM
Lieutenant General

You can't tell me UD can't buy custom made uniforms. I was a high school athletic director for 11 years and if we wanted to pay the high costs we could have had custom uniforms made to our specs.
Nike is UD's only vendor to choose from so it's not like they can go order some custom ones from Speedline or somewhere else. They have to pick from what Nike offers them based on their level in the Nike hierarchy. UD is not at the level of teams like UNC, Zona, or even Xavier who all have custom Nike uniforms. UD has to have more sustained tournament success to uniforms that aren't in the catalog. Just watch games this week and see how many Nike teams have the exact same base uniform as UD. I know VCU, SJU, and Fordham have them just in the A10
Old 03-06-2017, 08:27 PM
Lieutenant General

Nike is UD's only vendor to choose from so it's not like they can go order some custom ones from Speedline or somewhere else. They have to pick from what Nike offers them based on their level in the Nike hierarchy. UD is not at the level of teams like UNC, Zona, or even Xavier who all have custom Nike uniforms. UD has to have more sustained tournament success to uniforms that aren't in the catalog.
Then my high school must have been on those schools level because we used Nike to get our uniforms and again we could have had ours custom made if we wanted to pay the price to do so.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:32 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,556 Times in 3,701 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Nike is UD's only vendor to choose from so it's not like they can go order some custom ones from Speedline or somewhere else. They have to pick from what Nike offers them based on their level in the Nike hierarchy. UD is not at the level of teams like UNC, Zona, or even Xavier who all have custom Nike uniforms. UD has to have more sustained tournament success to uniforms that aren't in the catalog. Just watch games this week and see how many Nike teams have the exact same base uniform as UD. I know VCU, SJU, and Fordham have them just in the A10
How much $ does UD get from Nike? As PriceQ said, you can not read the road uniforms on TV, and the casual fan does not always know who is who by face recognition (I have had to tell them many times). Bottom line, Nike needs to get with the program, as quite frankly what they offer in uniforms for UD sucks. Just like the fit of their shoes on my feet, they suck!
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (03-07-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 08:39 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
How much $ does UD get from Nike? As PriceQ said, you can not read the road uniforms on TV, and the casual fan does not always know who is who by face recognition (I have had to tell them many times). Bottom line, Nike needs to get with the program, as quite frankly what they offer in uniforms for UD sucks. Just like the fit of their shoes on my feet, they suck!
I have no details on the money involved with the UD/Nike deal.

It's not Nike's fault you can't read the numbers. I'm pretty sure that is a stylistic choice made by the people who designed the logo. Nike offers the option to put an outline around letters and the numbers but UD doesn't choose to use it. They could also just use white for the letters and numbers on the red and navy uniforms, but I think people would then complain there was no red on the navy uniforms.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:48 PM
Lieutenant General

Then my high school must have been on those schools level because we used Nike to get our uniforms and again we could have had ours custom made if we wanted to pay the price to do so.
How long ago was this?

All those uniforms listed in the first section are technically custom uniforms. A school can letter, number, and use whatever color combination they want, but the templates/base designs in that catalog are what they have to choose from. A school can't just draw up a base uniform design thats not in the catalog and have Nike make it.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:55 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,488 Times in 763 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
$$$$ talks. Nike probably has a contract with UD and part of that contract dictates what the uniforms will look like. Nike probably needs to be confident that they will sell 50,000?, 60,000? whatever units to fans before they go the custom route. If you want my money, you'll wear the uniforms I provide, any questions?
Old 03-06-2017, 08:59 PM
Lieutenant General

Here is a link to the Nike page where you can build/mock up uniforms. They don't have the 2017-18 ones there yet though. The ones UD has this year are the "Arizona" Digital Hyperelite Disruption ones.

https://niketeam.nike.com/en/en_US/?l=shop

Edit:

And BTW does anybody like any of the uniforms from the 17-18 catalog? I think we all want readable numbers but which template design do you like the best is the main question.

Last edited by C-time; 03-06-2017 at 09:11 PM..
Old 03-06-2017, 09:42 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Jpk4Ud would probably be able to answer some of the questions...

It isn't Nike uniforms that make them hard to see on the road...it is the color scheme that UD has now. They are sharp colors, but do make it hard to see on TV. Most schools have secondary colors for their logos that aren't on the same side of the wheel. Either two distinctly different colors, like a white and dark color, or duke, where they have black with outlined blue. Florida...orange, blue, white...all offer the ability to see each.

I think the nut hugger shorts they wear don't look very comfortable, but I'm not the one wearing them. Some of the guys spend more time tugging on their shorts on dead balls than playing the game. Thin material with digitized fonts.

Our home whites are sharp and the contrast allows them to be viewed on TV. I personally liked the grey alternate uniforms that we didn't see very much. Those were sharp. The blue and red looks great in person, just not so much on TV.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:45 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Go-UD-Go View Post
I agree about the shorts. They look dirty from the 400s.
I like them. Would be interesting to know what the players prefer.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:31 AM
Major

BOF02 is just really niceBOF02 is just really niceBOF02 is just really niceBOF02 is just really nice
I like the uniforms. They are sharp & unique. The colors look great.
Mad Props to BOF02 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 08:43 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,993 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
...I think the nut hugger shorts they wear don't look very comfortable, but I'm not the one wearing them. Some of the guys spend more time tugging on their shorts on dead balls than playing the game...
Sorry, but I just found it funny that you referred to "nut hugger shorts" and "dead balls" in the same paragraph. (Maybe the balls are dead because the shorts are nut huggers?).

Posted via Mobile Device
10 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
1in25 (03-07-2017), Bucketnight (03-07-2017), CE80 (03-07-2017), ClaytonFlyerFan (03-07-2017), CT Flyer (03-07-2017), dnutz77 (04-26-2017), flyerfanatic86 (03-07-2017), NJFlyr71 (03-07-2017), rollo (03-07-2017), shocka43 (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 08:47 AM
1st Lieutenant

Mr_Sweets is a name known to allMr_Sweets is a name known to allMr_Sweets is a name known to allMr_Sweets is a name known to allMr_Sweets is a name known to allMr_Sweets is a name known to all
Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
Sorry, but I just found it funny that you referred to "nut hugger shorts" and "dead balls" in the same paragraph. (Maybe the balls are dead because the shorts are nut huggers?).

Posted via Mobile Device
Couldn't agree more.. they look to tight... uncomfortable. NEXT!
Mad Props to Mr_Sweets For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 09:33 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
How long ago was this?

All those uniforms listed in the first section are technically custom uniforms. A school can letter, number, and use whatever color combination they want, but the templates/base designs in that catalog are what they have to choose from. A school can't just draw up a base uniform design thats not in the catalog and have Nike make it.
Here is a link to the Nike page where you can build/mock up uniforms. They don't have the 2017-18 ones there yet though. The ones UD has this year are the "Arizona" Digital Hyperelite Disruption ones.

Edit:

And BTW does anybody like any of the uniforms from the 17-18 catalog? I think we all want readable numbers but which template design do you like the best is the main question.
C-Time is correct, UD is wearing custom uniforms and have for awhile. He is also correct that UD is not a Nike Elite school, so they do not have the ability to create totally custom uniforms, they have to create uniforms from a set of templets. But once they start changing colors, adding logos, using their own font, and making small changes, the uniform is "custom." I am pretty sure these would be the same "custom" uniforms that you would have been paying for as a HS AD. As far as I know, no HS has a deal that would allow them to make totally custom uniforms.
Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 10:23 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,557 Times in 2,451 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
In answer to your question...my choices

Men- Hyperelite Emerge Jersey (shown with Illinois). On the shorts I would maybe have the D on the front of one leg and the back of the other. Or, pair that jersey with the Playmaker shorts and have the D on both sides.

Women- Hyperelite Assist Jersey (shown with Baylor) with the D on both sides of the shorts.

Both of those jersey style show border colors for the letters and numbers... which we need.
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 10:34 AM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
In answer to your question...my choices

Men- Hyperelite Emerge Jersey (shown with Illinois). On the shorts I would maybe have the D on the front of one leg and the back of the other. Or, pair that jersey with the Playmaker shorts and have the D on both sides.

Women- Hyperelite Assist Jersey (shown with Baylor) with the D on both sides of the shorts.

Both of those jersey style show border colors for the letters and numbers... which we need.
Thank you for being the first person to actually answer my question and give an opinion on which uniform style you liked best!!!!!!!

Btw any of the uniforms in the catalog can have borders around the letters and the numbers. Also I completely agree about the D needing to be on both sides of the shorts. It's only on one side of our current shorts and just looks unfinished to me.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:17 AM

shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute

Posted via Mobile Device
I noticed that on my proof read before the post...decided to stick with it...looks like you found the humor in it too...lol.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:40 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,488 Times in 763 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
In this case, regardless of color/style, Scoochie needs custom shorts.
Mad Props to N2663R For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by N2663R View Post
In this case, regardless of color/style, Scoochie needs custom shorts.
XXXL!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (03-08-2017), rollo (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 05:48 PM
Major General

m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
As far as the "nut hugger" shorts you guys are talking about, the current trend of basketball shorts is reverting back to shorter shorts. The problem this year is Nike also shortened the inseam this as well as the overall length. This has been giving guys issues all year.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
As far as the "nut hugger" shorts you guys are talking about, the current trend of basketball shorts is reverting back to shorter shorts. The problem this year is Nike also shortened the inseam this as well as the overall length. This has been giving guys issues all year.
Shorter is fine, but the **** things don't look comfortable for the taller guys. I hated the old school shorts that looked like baggy capri pants. Nike offers like 3 inseams on those shorts....I'd opt for something longer than 11.5 even at 6'05'', let alone 6'08''.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:36 PM
Lieutenant General

I decided to bump this thread back to the top since all the new Nike uniforms are now available where you can build them online now.

Hopefully CAG wants new uniforms. I'll mock some up and post them later. Everyone else should do the same. It's way easier than trying to predict who will play point guard for UD next year and hopefully lead to less arguments.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:02 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,020 Times in 479 Posts
Flyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant future
Agree that the flaw lies with UD, not with Nike. UD has, for years in my opinion, let anything go when it comes to their logos. Most schools have graphic standards that they adhere to when it comes to their merchandise. UD will plop any logo at any size next to anything and onto anything. And they let their vendors do the same. That's why a lot of our clothes, hats and merchandise look like crap. The uniforms from two years ago were sharp. Last year's were awful. With the way our wordmark looks, and the font it uses, it should never ever be outlined. It becomes way too blocky and unreadable. ALso, you don't outline a white word on a white shirt. It looks like crap.

Even though some people don't like them and don't think they're readable, i really liked our navy blue uniforms with red type and red numbers from two seasons ago. Pure. With no outlines around the letters. They look bada$$. I think anytime we add an outline to the logo or the letters it tends to look like crap. It should just be a solid color on another solid color.

The uniforms on this page when they were first revealed were far better than what we had this year:
http://www.underconsideration.com/br..._160over90.php

Last edited by Flyer'95; 04-25-2017 at 02:07 PM..
Mad Props to Flyer'95 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CoffeeCan (04-26-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 02:06 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by Flyer'95 View Post
Agree that the flaw lies with UD, not with Nike. UD has, for years in my opinion, let anything go when it comes to their logos. Most schools have graphic standards that they adhere to when it comes to their merchandise. UD will plop any logo at any size next to anything and onto anything. And they let their vendors do the same. That's why a lot of our clothes, hats and merchandise look like crap. The uniforms from two years ago were sharp. Last year's were awful. With the way our wordmark looks, and the font it uses, it should never ever be outlined. It becomes way too blocky and unreadable. ALso, you don't outline a white word on a white shirt. It looks like crap.

Even though some people don't like them and don't think they're readable, i really liked our navy blue uniforms with red type and red numbers from two seasons ago. Pure. With no outlines around the letters. They look bada$$. I think anytime we add an outline to the logo or the letters it tends to look like crap. It should just be a solid color on another solid color.
The outlines help make numbers and letters pop, and also help so you can actually read them. I agree they are not needed on white uniforms, but they are definitely needed with navy blue on red and red on navy blue.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:09 PM
Brigadier General

Flyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant future
The outlines help make numbers and letters pop, and also help so you can actually read them. I agree they are not needed on white uniforms, but they are definitely needed with navy blue on red and red on navy blue.
But if you just have our type in white on a red shirt, or in red on a white shirt, none are needed. There's plenty of contrast and legibility there.

We can debate if you need them when you go red on blue or blue on red (i added a link above). But i think they have more of an edge without them and look cooler.

Without a doubt though, the ones from two years ago were at least more legible across the board. Those outlines on our 2017 jerseys were bad.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:15 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by Flyer'95 View Post
But if you just have our type in white on a red shirt, or in red on a white shirt, none are needed. There's plenty of contrast and legibility there.

We can debate if you need them when you go red on blue or blue on red (i added a link above). But i think they have more of an edge without them and look cooler.

Without a doubt though, the ones from two years ago were at least more legible across the board. Those outlines on our 2017 jerseys were bad.
I agree, I liked the old uniforms better, and up close they looked good. But from a distance, and on TV you had the same issues not being able to read the numbers, especially on the navy blue uniforms. I still think an outline around the numbering from 2 years ago would have looked better.

This year's uniforms should have had the solid lettering instead of just the outlined lettering. It definitely would have helped. I also did not like how the uniforms got lighter in color as you went from the uniform down to the shorts. That was a Nike thing, and I am not sure why they did it. But many of the Nike schools this year had the same uniforms, and it looked just as bad on theirs.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (04-25-2017), CT Flyer (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 02:19 PM
Lieutenant General

I agree, I liked the old uniforms better, and up close they looked good. But from a distance, and on TV you had the same issues not being able to read the numbers, especially on the navy blue uniforms. I still think an outline around the numbering from 2 years ago would have looked better.

This year's uniforms should have had the solid lettering instead of just the outlined lettering. It definitely would have helped. I also did not like how the uniforms got lighter in color as you went from the uniform down to the shorts. That was a Nike thing, and I am not sure why they did it. But many of the Nike schools this year had the same uniforms, and it looked just as bad on theirs.
And the shorts did not fit many players very well, at UD and other schools too.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:22 PM
Major General

And the shorts did not fit many players very well, at UD and other schools too.
That was another Nike thing. The trend is going back to the shorter length shorts. This year Nike made the inseam much shorter than years past, and that caused a lot of issues with fit. This year there will be an option for players that prefer the longer inseam.
C-time (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 02:34 PM
Lieutenant General

Here are some jersey letter/number combos. "DAYTON" would be in the official font/logo but that's to much photoshop work so I just used a font available on Nike to make it easier.

#1=Navy Name & #s, No outline. Absolutely horrible and impossible to see on TV. Basically what UD has done since logo change.

#2=White Name & #'s, No outline. You can read it which would be a huge improvement.

#3= White Name & #'s. Outlined in Navy. Again you can read it.

#4= Dayton in white with navy outline. #'s in Navy with White outline.

Personally I like #3 or #4 the best, but can live with #2. Based on how UD has done lettering in all sports since the logo change I'm just hoping for #2 instead of #1. I think they are constrained to a single color with no outline based upon all the pictures I've seen.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (04-25-2017), Gazoo (05-03-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 02:41 PM
Captain

Justin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant future
#3 and #4
Old 04-25-2017, 02:47 PM
Lieutenant General

Here is the other option for the red uniforms that I had done before. Just simply outlining the Navy lettering/#s with white. I still like #3&4 above better but I don't think those or this one are truly options with how UD has done all the logo lettering since the new logo.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:03 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,282 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Agree on #3 and #4
Old 04-25-2017, 04:08 PM
Lieutenant General

Okay here is a uniform set from the "USA" uniform template. My only reservation about these are the "Wing" graphics on the back. Online there is no option to change their color so I'm not how much they will blend in or stand out in real life. I even threw in a Columbia blue alternate for everyone who loves that color (Anything is better than the grey alternate unis)

Here is the wing graphic. It's doesn't show up on the white unis online. If you can change the color I would make it Navy on the Red Unis and Red on the Navy Unis.

Edit: I believe I have answered my own question about the wings. Found the USA basketball game shorts from the last olympics on Footlocker. The wings appears to simply blend in with the shorts which looks fine to me. A link to the authentic game shorts is below.
http://www.footlocker.com/product/mo...sa/white/navy/

Last edited by C-time; 04-25-2017 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: Found link
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
Columbia Blue (05-03-2017), dnutz77 (04-26-2017), Gazoo (05-03-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 05:51 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,167 Times in 450 Posts
jpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=Flyer'95;505110]Agree that the flaw lies with UD, not with Nike. UD has, for years in my opinion, let anything go when it comes to their logos. Most schools have graphic standards that they adhere to when it comes to their merchandise. UD will plop any logo at any size next to anything and onto anything. And they let their vendors do the same. That's why a lot of our clothes, hats and merchandise look like crap. The uniforms from two years ago were sharp. Last year's were awful. With the way our wordmark looks, and the font it uses, it should never ever be outlined. It becomes way too blocky and unreadable. ALso, you don't outline a white word on a white shirt. It looks like crap.

OK for one thing UD has a graphics standard guide and i know that for a fact. We work with them to make sure all of our game and store items meet the standards. UD will not just plop any logo at any size on anything! Everything has to be approved. I can't speak for the bookstore or Flyer Spirit but we worked hand in hand with UD on everything.

The outline word mark was a Nike design on a lot of jerseys last year(Duke & Kentucky used the white word with outline). That was one of their elite design looks. The jerseys have had a three fold design team, Nike, Staff & Players....

Last edited by jpk4ud; 04-25-2017 at 05:54 PM..
Mad Props to jpk4ud For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 05:54 PM
Colonel

jpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond repute

As far as the jerseys the outline needed to be around the numbers to make them a lot easer to read on TV. They looked great in person at the game but needed a pop of color on TV. Just my 2 cents
m21eagle45 (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 06:16 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by jpk4ud View Post
The outline word mark was a Nike design on a lot of jerseys last year(Duke & Kentucky used the white word with outline). That was one of their elite design looks. The jerseys have had a three fold design team, Nike, Staff & Players....
I do remember seeing a couple schools with an outlined wordmark like UD's were last season, but Duke and Kentucky did not do that on their uniforms.

http://www.goduke.com/pics33/1024/EB...0128230504.JPG
http://www.goduke.com/pics33/1024/AL...1130054116.JPG
http://www.ukathletics.com/news/kent...ery-12-03-2016
http://www.ukathletics.com/news/kent...ery-12-21-2016

As far as the jerseys the outline needed to be around the numbers to make them a lot easer to read on TV. They looked great in person at the game but needed a pop of color on TV. Just my 2 cents
I agree that in person and close up the letters/#s looked fine on all the uniforms. The problem is like you and others have said is that they don't show up well at all on TV. My question is if they are even allowed to use outlined letters and numbers with the new logo with a 3rd color on the uniforms like some of my examples have shown. For example if they simply filled in "DAYTON" with white on last years uniform is that even allowed by UD's logo standards?

Last edited by C-time; 04-25-2017 at 06:39 PM..
Old 04-25-2017, 06:49 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,556 Times in 3,701 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that in person and close up the letters/#s looked fine on all the uniforms. The problem is like you and others have said is that they don't show up well at all on TV. My question is if they are even allowed to use outlined letters and numbers with the new logo with a 3rd color on the uniforms like some of my examples have shown. For example if they simply filled in "DAYTON" with white on last years uniform is that even allowed by UD's logo standards?
UD needs to update / change logo standards and away uniforms ASAP, whatever it takes to get it done. The casual fan can not tell who is who. My daughter, my wife, and my mother have all complained. Three generations of fans who can not tell who is who, even on a 60" HDTV.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:06 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
The casual fan can not tell who is who. My daughter, my wife, and my mother have all complained. Three generations of fans who can not tell who is who, even on a 60" HDTV.
You won't get any argument from me on that. I would often have to take a second look to figure out exactly who was who in some road games.

I also wouldn't want to be one of the video guys editing/reviewing any UD games when they are wearing the red or navy uniforms. The process can take long enough without having to double check players #'s because they're difficult to see.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:20 PM
Lieutenant General

Found some in game photos from the olympics of the uniforms that I mocked up above in similar color schemes.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:47 PM
Brigadier General

FlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura about
Okay here is a uniform set from the "USA" uniform template. My only reservation about these are the "Wing" graphics on the back. Online there is no option to change their color so I'm not how much they will blend in or stand out in real life. I even threw in a Columbia blue alternate for everyone who loves that color (Anything is better than the grey alternate unis)

Here is the wing graphic. It's doesn't show up on the white unis online. If you can change the color I would make it Navy on the Red Unis and Red on the Navy Unis.

Edit: I believe I have answered my own question about the wings. Found the USA basketball game shorts from the last olympics on Footlocker. The wings appears to simply blend in with the shorts which looks fine to me. A link to the authentic game shorts is below.
oh man i'd buy those columbia blue shorts in a heart beat.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:01 PM
General

Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,232 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute

Can any of those guys play the point?
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Viperstick For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (04-25-2017), dnutz77 (04-26-2017), Gazoo (05-03-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 09:12 PM
Colonel

[QUOTE=C-time;505152]I do remember seeing a couple schools with an outlined wordmark like UD's were last season, but Duke and Kentucky did not do that on their uniforms.

C-time I sent you a link showing the Kentucky jersey I didn't say it was last year. Duke did the same thing a year or two ago. Can't remember if Duke's were white or black jerseys.

And yes you can use a second color outline with the numbers or logo.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:18 PM
Colonel

As long as Archie was here you were never going to see the Columbia Blue used anywhere, anytime. He played at NCSt and his dislike for NC kill any chance of using the blue. And of course the first Dayton shirt I gave him was Columbia Blue!
Columbia Blue (05-03-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 09:25 PM
Colonel

http://images.nike.com/is/image/DotC...564X_15H_A.jpg

Duke's White

http://uniformcritics.com/wp-content...es-675x380.jpg

Kentucky's White
Old 04-25-2017, 09:54 PM
Lieutenant General

As long as Archie was here you were never going to see the Columbia Blue used anywhere, anytime. He played at NCSt and his dislike for NC kill any chance of using the blue. And of course the first Dayton shirt I gave him was Columbia Blue!
I know Archie hated that and truthfully I don't really like Columbia Blue either. I just put those on there because I had room and I know a lot of people on here love Columbia Blue.

And yes you can use a second color outline with the numbers or logo.
Thanks for answering that question I appreciate it. Hopefully CAG wants letters and numbers with outlines then.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:55 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Viperstick View Post
Can any of those guys play the point?
#24 can.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:35 PM
Captain

Rick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud of

Heh. We essentially wound up doing the exact same thing, right down to picking the Rio USA style as the most attractive side stripe and finding that font that's close enough to ours to fool the eye, so thanks for saving me the time screencapping and firing up photoshop.

Only differences were on my choice for the outline on the aways (none for the white-on-red, and I did keep red text with a slight gray outline only on the numbers, to maintain the cool "darkness" of the Midnight Blues; I may or may not have used a darker shade of red than you, too, for this same purpose), and I put the extra "D" on the other side of the shorts. And no pastel blues! Never again!

Instead of mocking up graphics, I'll add the links to my saved pages, so people can play around with options yourself, and come up with your own modifications, but with most of the Dayton-centric stuff already pre-entered. Or if not, these links ALSO allow you to take the unis on a full 360 degree spin, either by themselves or modeled on a player, with zoom in options, which is all pretty nifty (I had no intention of doing ANY of this, and look how I just spent 45 minutes!):

HOME: http://niketeam.nike.com/en/en_US/?l...D59001178e0179
AWAY RED: http://niketeam.nike.com/en/en_US/?l...D58ff9fa22ffaa
AWAY BLUE: http://niketeam.nike.com/en/en_US/?l...D590027f49268b

And two other minor tweaks:

ALTERNATE HOME (some blue highlights, with mostly red text, think I prefer all red): http://niketeam.nike.com/en/en_US/?l...D58ff9e475bca1
ALTERNATE AWAY (blue text on red, slight gray outline on numbers, might like this better than white text, but it would make the Midnight Blues more "special" if you stuck with the white-on-red for standard aways): http://niketeam.nike.com/en/en_US/?l...D58ffa1b2df2b0

In both cases where it exists, I would darken the gray outline slightly, if given the chance, but it looks OK to me, as is, too.

I also disliked the pattern on the buttocks, but could never make it go all the way away; I think it's auto-tied to the color you pick for the stripe, but not identical. It's the reason why a white stripe was immediately disqualified for both aways: the design showed up MUCH more prominantly, with higher contrast than with the red stripe on blue or the blue stripe on red.

Rick

Last edited by Rick Scaia; 04-26-2017 at 12:57 AM.. Reason: The links should actually work now. Sorry!
Mad Props to Rick Scaia For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 09:21 AM
Lieutenant General

I like the effort Rick! I think the USA template is really the best one and with the wings that blend in on the shorts I think they're a natural fit for the Flyers.

Originally Posted by Rick Scaia View Post
I may or may not have used a darker shade of red than you, too, for this same purpose), and I put the extra "D" on the other side of the shorts.
You did use darker shades of red(crimson and cardinal) which are basically Indiana, Alabama, and Stanford maroons. Dayton does everything in a bright red which is Scarlet on the builder.

Also I put the "D" (which would be the Flying D logo) on both sides of the shorts when I was mocking up the unis (Of course you couldn't see that from my screen caps). Since the logo update UD has only had the logo on one side of the shorts and it just looks incomplete to me.

And no pastel blues! Never again!
I'm also not a fan of Columbia/Carolina blue unis but I know a lot of posters here like it so I mocked it up for them. If UD really wanted a 4th uniform I'd go with black or anthracite(dark grey) so you could have blackout nights at the arena.

I also disliked the pattern on the buttocks, but could never make it go all the way away; I think it's auto-tied to the color you pick for the stripe, but not identical. It's the reason why a white stripe was immediately disqualified for both aways: the design showed up MUCH more prominantly, with higher contrast than with the red stripe on blue or the blue stripe on red.
If you check out the pictures from the olympics that I posted above the "wings/stripes" on the back of the shorts just blend in with the color of shorts. I'm sure Nike just wanted to make sure that people knew they were there on the uniform builder.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:31 PM
Brigadier General

@jpk4ud, I'd be happy to show you a couple hundred examples of UD merchandise that is off the reservation in terms of design standards. And if those examples aren't outside the UD standard guidelines, then the guidelines aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

We have crazy variations in colors, fonts, sizes, lock ups, etc. most of the merchandise available is embarrassing compared to other schools. It's been a pet peeve of mine for years. Some of them are visual crimes against humanity.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Flyer'95; 04-27-2017 at 06:36 PM..
Mad Props to Flyer'95 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (04-27-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 03:14 PM
Major General

Just to kind of bump this thread, I just got done working with my schools Nike Rep, and this is the uniform templet that Nike is really pushing this year. The school that I am at will be wearing this uniform next year, as are many of the Nike schools who are getting new uniforms. I would not be surprised to see UD use these as well.

As for the wing on the back of the shorts, on the version of gameday that I have access to, it allows us to change the coloring of the wings or remove them from the shorts. That may not be available on the public version of the site, but it is an option for schools with Nike contracts.
C-time (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 06:08 PM
Lieutenant General

Just to kind of bump this thread, I just got done working with my schools Nike Rep, and this is the uniform templet that Nike is really pushing this year. The school that I am at will be wearing this uniform next year, as are many of the Nike schools who are getting new uniforms. I would not be surprised to see UD use these as well.

As for the wing on the back of the shorts, on the version of gameday that I have access to, it allows us to change the coloring of the wings or remove them from the shorts. That may not be available on the public version of the site, but it is an option for schools with Nike contracts.
Thanks for the info. I think I would keep the wings on shorts for UD since we're the Flyers. I'd most likely make them the same color as the stripe on the shorts. If I were any other school that didn't have a bird mascot or something related to flying I'd probably delete them. Hopefully UD goes with these even though there will probably be a lot of teams using the same template.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:26 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute

Those uni's are beyond awesome. The Columbia Blue is lights the hell out....someone needs to get these into the powers that be hands.
Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (05-02-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 03:31 PM
Lieutenant General

Just saw a thread on twitter where former Grad Assistant Brian Frank was responding to somebody asking about uniforms and he mentioned that one of his ideas was to have the chapel sublimated on the back of the jersey.

https://twitter.com/BFRANK_DUH/statu...90153253445632

Looks great to me and hopefully they do this someday. I personally like the one on the left better.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
dnutz77 (10-04-2017), jaburr91 (10-03-2017), jack72 (10-03-2017), Lifelong Flyer Fan (10-03-2017), rollo (10-03-2017), Runnin' Rebel (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 03:52 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
DANG!

Opened up this thread thinking a brand spankin' new LoGo was on the horizon!

Sadly, no!

We need one final push before the season actually starts on a controversial "something" bordering on the insane topic using a wide range of opinion that tests our mettle!
Old 03-22-2019, 06:25 PM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute

That columbia blue with the red - that's stuff. Bring back the tradition! The red with columbia blue highlights may be even better!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NorthwestFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BOF02 (03-23-2019), OSU Flyer (03-22-2019), Sid Louick (03-22-2019)