Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Colonel

SC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud of
Purnell pushes goals higher for Tigers

South Carolina's State Paper had an article in yesterday about OP and Clemson's goals for this coming season:

http://www.thestate.com/tigers/story/547972.html

Only one ACC men’s basketball team has improved its winning percentage each of the past four seasons.

That tells how low Clemson’s program had dipped prior to coach Oliver Purnell’s arrival five years ago — and how far it appears to have come since.

Last season, the Tigers ended a 10-year NCAA tournament drought and advanced to the ACC tournament final for the first time since 1962.

This year, the bar is set higher, Purnell said.

I continue to enjoy seeing OP getting good press in my state. Even though I live closer to Columbia, I still pull for the Tigers and our former coach.
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,388 Times in 620 Posts
AC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond repute
His ability to resurrect programs and make them extremely competitive is amazing. The challenges he has taken on in his career are have not been for the weak-hearted, that's for sure, and he has brought success at every stop.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:59 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I have to say it. WHO CARES? I don't understand the interest in coaches who leave UD, Purnell, Horsmon et al.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Colonel

SC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
I have to say it. WHO CARES? I don't understand the interest in coaches who leave UD, Purnell, Horsmon et al.
I don't understand the interest in replying to a post that you don't care about. So, we are even in my mind.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:47 AM
Captain

SCFlyer will become famous soon enoughSCFlyer will become famous soon enough
(Just so everyone knows, this is a DIFFERENT SCFlyer than the one who started the thread.)

I absolutely am interested in hearing about OP's success. That guy is a hero in my mind. I will always feel grateful for his efforts in bringing Dayton back to a high level of respectability.

UDBrian, do you not care about former players either? Or is it once they take off the Flyer jersey, you don't care a lick? That's fine, if that's true, but I doubt it is. I would argue that OP has done more for our program than most any player has. OP left his freaking alma mater to come take over a program coming off a six win season, and left us 10 years later after four straight seasons of 20 wins.

I want OP to succeed, and I, too, like hearing about his successes at Clemson.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:48 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Dirty Sanchez can only hope to improve

So don't read the article.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:49 AM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
I would be more interested if he hadn't screwed UD on the way out the door by not recruiting for the last 1-2 years. But I'm still somewhat interested.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Colonel

Flyer1407 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
I would be more interested if he hadn't screwed UD on the way out the door by not recruiting for the last 1-2 years. But I'm still somewhat interested.
My feelings exactly.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:10 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 3,138 Times in 795 Posts
John C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond repute
I doubt that he intentionally lowered the bar for his recruiting the last two years. Personally, I never felt he was a great recruirter at Dayton. Unlike Gregory who can sell the city and the University, Purnell could never close the deal.

Purnell was an excellent coach but a poor recruiter without the power of the ACC behind him. Now with that added strengh, he has both things going for him.

The only thing that upset me with Purnell was that he had his mind more on the Clemson job than his current one when Tulsa ate us for lunch.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:27 PM
2nd Lieutenant

hankj22 will become famous soon enoughhankj22 will become famous soon enough
and he gave us Warren Williams when he could of had Goldsberry.
Thanks a lot Ollie
Old 10-13-2008, 10:07 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,074 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute

Six Words: once a Flyer ALWAYS a Flyer
Old 10-13-2008, 10:44 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Mark_K is a jewel in the roughMark_K is a jewel in the roughMark_K is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by John C. View Post
Unlike Gregory who can sell the city and the University, Purnell could never close the dea
I don't think OP could sell the city because he never believed in the city. I think he had the typical east coast view of the Dayton Region -- "if its not on the east coast it doesn't matter." Its hard to convince someone of something that you, yourself don't believe in.

BG on the other hand comes from the Midwest so he feels more connected to Dayton and can be more convincing when talking to recruits and their parents.

Just my 2¢.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:31 PM
Colonel

daytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant future
i too am interested in purnell's career and always will be.

i will admit OP didnt have strong recruiting classes his last two years but i htink its a stretch to say he was trying less or something of that nature. he was always one to take a certain type of player--one that wasnt on the radar of most big time schools--but he was successful with them.

i dont think gregory not having success with Purnell's recruits says anything about how Purnell would have done with them--they are very different coaches.

lastly, the comments about "we could have had this player, and we took this player" is just a tired argument. how many times has that happened over the years to every school in the country? how many times has a guy who most people didnt want turn out to be a stud?? how about keith W? many of us didnt want him and thought OP only got him so he would have a better chance at getting adam W. that worked out well. you just never know about recruits.
i dont remember people being head over heels for goldsberry when he was coming out of HS, just when he did well in college. and people were excited about getting a "sleeper from dematha"--hindsight is 20-20.