User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 08-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,858 Times in 719 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
Best yells at a home game

Here's a good summertime topic.

Thinking of "be loud and wear red" reminded me of something: I always wear red to home games (and even at home watching/listening to away games, for that matter) and I'm often LOUD.

I remember two distinct times I let 'er rip during a game.

My all-time best came when I was in high school. I was sitting towards the front of section 311. While the Flyers were on defense, the opponent took a shot which caromed off the rim and into the crowd in the lane. Bill Uhl Jr. performed his patented zero-inch-vertical leap, stuck his hand up in the air, and the ball volleyballed off him to an opponent. Play then stopped for some reason, and the Arena was QUIET. I yelled at the top of my lungs "Get off your feet Uhl!" with pure venom in my voice. The very next trip down the court, Uhl grabbed an offensive board in the lane and proceeded to get off his feet and throw down a two-handed MONSTER jam that would make Shaquille O'Neal sit up and take notice. The Arena exploded.

I didn't think much of my contribution to the play, figuring no one heard it on the court anyway. I was more congratulating myself on my prescience than anything. I promptly forgot about it until the next day at school, when a friend asked if I went to the game last night. After replying affirmatively, he proceeded to tell me that his younger brother was at the game too, and told him the story about the yell he heard and the Uhl dunk. His brother reported believing it inspired Bill Jr. to new heights. I laughed and sheepishly said "Uh, that was me yelling." We were stunned by the correlation, and found his brother later to find out where he was sitting. To my surprise, he was sitting in the 300s behind the team bench, which for those of you not familiar with the nosebleeds is on the opposite side of the Arena. Since hearing that, I've since been convinced that I was audible even on the court and single-handedly inspired that play. I may be wrong, but who's to say?

The second time I remember at least partially affecting a game was in '92 or so, sitting towards the front of the student section. Xavier was in town, and Chris Mack was making a comeback from his fourteenth knee surgery. Recall that Mack played for Evansville and made the inspired play of throwing the ball off Wes Coffee's body when he was unable to inbounds the ball. The only problem was that he bounced the ball off Coffee's face. The Arena fans never let him forget that, and even after he transferred to Xavier, and was a sixth-year senior due to injuries, was still taunted mercilessly by the fans. I reminded my friends of the situation, and we proceeded to yell at Mack every time he was on the court. We yelled stuff about Coffee waiting by the team bus with a medicine ball, and more. When Xavier was attacking the basket at the student end of the court in the second half, we turned it on more, but were never vulgar.

Mack was shaky in the opening minutes of the second half, and smelling blood, we only increased the steam. When he missed both shots of a two-shot foul (and that NEVER happened with Mack), we knew we had won. Gillen pulled him from the game, and he only played a couple more minutes the rest of the way, ineffectively. I truly believe that 13,000 fans spewing pure hatred in his direction and five or six specific ones in the front of the student section took him off his game that day. To this day, a non-UD friend who attended the game with us describes that game and the greatest experience he's ever had at a sporting event in his life.

Share.
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2008, 10:59 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Dirty Sanchez can only hope to improve
Best line in my history of games at the arena from a guy in my section yelling at the ref:

"Why don't you bend over and call it with your good eye!"
Old 08-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,616 Times in 3,023 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Best scream I ever heard: In a close game someone threw the ball in to Negele. He was somehow distracted and fumbled the throw out of bounds. The arena was totally silent. Then a lady near us screamed at the top of her lungs, "Negele, get your head out of your a$$." I have never laughed so hard in my life. That was also in Section 311. sheg, if you were in Section 311 that game you had to hear it. Everyone in front of us for quite a few rows turned around and laughed. Oh yeah, and her husband always wore headphones to the games and listened on the radio, probably so he wouldn't have to listen to her.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Captain

Rick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud of
Two instances spring to mind, although, ironically, neither involves and yelling or screaming. It's amazing how effective a conversational tone of voice can be when you're sitting close enough....

First thing: probably the '97 or '98 season, seated in the fourth row of the student section, and this one ref is having an AWFUL night. Every other time down the court, he is visibly blowing calls, and has the misfortune of blowing them in favor of our opposition every time. So he's hearing it. Then comes a TV time out, and Mr. Tough Guy Referee comes over to the tunnel near the Student Section to get a cup of water from the cooler, and then just stands there, glaring up at the students, as if daring them to continue screaming at him. A few do, but mostly, they're all just taking the chance to sit down and rest.

Meantime, I make eye contact with this joker, and in a voice the same as you would use at the dinner table, I say (and I quote) "Hey, ref. You stink." The ref immediately tosses aside his cup of water and comes four rows up into the stands to ask me if I have any idea that I can be ejected if I keep disturbing the flow of the game. My response "[silence]." Because if my mouth had opened, the only thing that would have come out would have been laughter, and that wouldn't have helped matters any. Needless to say, the ref assumed he learned me my lesson, and turned and stormed back down to the floor, and many backslaps and free half-time beers were mine from those seated around me. Good times.

[Aside: I forget the ref's name, but he terrorized UD Arena steadily for years, and I believe the height of his awfulness was a game where he called a ticky-tack foul on Tony Stanley with 2 minutes to go in a close game against Marquette (?) that turned the tide against us, and then had the gall to tell Bucky Albers after the game that, upon reflection, if he'd known it was Stanley's 5th foul, he wouldn't have called it. Or maybe the ticky-tack was #4, and then the ref T'd Stanley up for complaining, and he said he wouldn't have called the technical if he'd known it was the 5th. It was one or the other, and either way: Whoa, he's a dipstick.]

Second incident: this was maybe 4 years ago (possibly 5, whatever was the first year when Time Warner TV started "producing" a number of home games in their own unique cable-access style). This time, 2nd row student section, and no, it's unlikely to become apparent why I was seated in the student section with such killer seats for the better part of a decade straight... anyway, the refs clearly blow a call on a 3-point shot (the opposing players foot was on the line, but they called it a 3), and at the next TV time out, yes, a ref came to stand next to the students as if to say "I don't care what you think, I'm a big bad ref, and you can't hurt me."

The temperament of youth changing as it did between '97 and 2004, this time, the students weren't resting so much as they were inventing new swear words and shouting them at the top of their lungs at the ref. Wrong, dum dums! For my friends and I got a small pocket of relative silence up in the first couple rows, and then assumed a quiet, conversational tone, talking at the ref's back (which had been turned to us). All we said was "I'm sure it was a tough call, but we could see it clearly from here and we strenuously disagree, sir." The bigger the vocabulary words, the greater the illusion of "respect," we figured. "But all these games are televised, now, and we know for a fact that this is a reviewable call. So you can go over to the TV monitor and still get it right, or who knows, check and make sure you got it right the first time, and if you do, we won't have anything to complain about." Somehow, this got through his thick skull, and just as they returned fromt he TV timeout, there was promptly a 10 minute delay of game as the refs tried to work with the production geniuses at TWTV to sort out the play.

As I recall, they couldn't work out the technology of the mystical "rewind button," so the bad call stood, but we got them to TRY, darn it, and that was fun; we even thanked the ref next time he came down the court. And for the rest of that season, a few of the other kids around us adopted "We STRENUOUSLY disagree with that call!" as their most foul-mouthed taunt of a referee, as it was clearly effective. Again: good times.

Rick

Last edited by Rick Scaia; 08-02-2008 at 05:16 PM..
Old 08-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Just off the Jet

bigbaref will become famous soon enoughbigbaref will become famous soon enough
I always prefered this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFtPj-Uka-o
from the o-zone @ Ohio
Old 08-04-2008, 04:18 PM

longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bigbaref View Post
I always prefered this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFtPj-Uka-o
from the o-zone @ Ohio
You gotta love the Bobcats, but I can't understand what they are saying before they start yelling winning team, losing team.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:27 AM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe this doesn't qualify, but I once took a charge in the lane and the guy just wiped me out. The ref, amazingly, didn't call anything. No block, no charge. I get up and I'm gushing blood from my chin onto my white uniform. The ref missed that too because I had to walk over and say,

"Hey ref, you might want to stop the game so I can get all the blood cleaned off from that so-called 'clean play' that just happened."

He was so stunned at the sight of the fountain of blood that he didn't even remember to T me up.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Just off the Jet

bigbaref will become famous soon enoughbigbaref will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
You gotta love the Bobcats, but I can't understand what they are saying before they start yelling winning team, losing team.
Q= Is that not a scoreboard?
A= Yes that is a ...
Q= is that not a (insert # here)
A= yes that is ...
Q=is that not a (insert lower# here)
A=yes ...a
Q=is that not the winning team?
A=yes ...
Q= is that not the losing team?
A= yes ...

It is especially more fun when it involes that team from oxford w/coach charlie
Old 08-05-2008, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by bigbaref View Post
Q= Is that not a scoreboard?
A= Yes that is a ...
Q= is that not a (insert # here)
A= yes that is ...
Q=is that not a (insert lower# here)
A=yes ...a
Q=is that not the winning team?
A=yes ...
Q= is that not the losing team?
A= yes ...

It is especially more fun when it involes that team from oxford w/coach charlie
Charlie is total class (even though I hate the Redskinhawks). I heard that at one game Charlie was up "discussing" a call with a ref. The O-Zone started yelling at him to sit down. He then smiled at the crowd and hustled over and sat down. Funny stuff.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:32 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
SIT DOWN DIGGER with a roll of toilet paper for emphasis
Old 08-05-2008, 06:00 PM
Colonel

ChampCar is a splendid one to beholdChampCar is a splendid one to beholdChampCar is a splendid one to beholdChampCar is a splendid one to beholdChampCar is a splendid one to beholdChampCar is a splendid one to beholdChampCar is a splendid one to beholdChampCar is a splendid one to behold
How about HUNDREDS of rolls of toilet paper. I still remember my first year at UD when suddenly there was no toilet paper to be found in any restroom, anywhere on campus. The answer to that little mystery became apparent at the UD-ND game later that week. In the years that followed I always made it a point to carry my own TP on campus during ND week. Great fun!
Old 08-05-2008, 06:39 PM

John R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud of
The asst. coach for the Miami Redhawks

What about the famous purple suit cheer.