UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-13-2018, 08:35 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,356 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Joey’s 3

What a great way to finish this game. So happy for him. His shot puts him in UD’s record book as one of the players who made a 3 and set the new team record for 3s made in a game.

What I also enjoyed is how everyone on the team was so happy for him, from DD, who has been with him for 4 years to Svoboda who has known him for 4 months. I have no idea if this transition year has included any team chemistry issues to work thru. But, at least for a moment, Joey making that shot brought this whole team together.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
NYCFLYER (01-14-2018), San Diego Flyer (01-14-2018), UDBaby (01-14-2018)
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2018, 10:35 PM
Colonel

redbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud of
My thoughts exactly re: how the team reacted to Joey’s 3, Becky. I was going to start the same type of thread so thanks for actually doing it. I believe that 3 was actually one of the most important moments of the game. I was really taken by how Matej reacted. But the entire team really seemed to come together around this shot. I have 2 nephews who were walk-ons at major D-1 programs. It’s largely a thankless role even though they know what they’re signing up for. When they make a contribution it’s easy to smile or even laugh about what the walk-on did. We, as Flyer fans, know the value of walk-ons with the recent success of Bobby Wehrli. To me, Joey’s 3 seemed more like a contribution that someone like Bobby might make vs something to snicker at. And I got the sense the players felt that way too. Every man on that court and that bench seemed genuinely happy for him. And it really seemed to bring this team closer together. So great to see!
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to redbengal For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (01-14-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 11:09 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Xeyrius Williams posted on Twitter.
By far the best assist of my college career.
#grudenassist
9 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (01-14-2018), Bob G (01-16-2018), Cityengr (01-14-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (01-14-2018), MNFats (01-14-2018), NYCFLYER (01-14-2018), San Diego Flyer (01-14-2018), shocka43 (01-14-2018), UDBaby (01-14-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 11:49 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by redbengal View Post
My thoughts exactly re: how the team reacted to Joey’s 3, Becky. I was going to start the same type of thread so thanks for actually doing it. I believe that 3 was actually one of the most important moments of the game. I was really taken by how Matej reacted. But the entire team really seemed to come together around this shot. I have 2 nephews who were walk-ons at major D-1 programs. It’s largely a thankless role even though they know what they’re signing up for. When they make a contribution it’s easy to smile or even laugh about what the walk-on did. We, as Flyer fans, know the value of walk-ons with the recent success of Bobby Wehrli. To me, Joey’s 3 seemed more like a contribution that someone like Bobby might make vs something to snicker at. And I got the sense the players felt that way too. Every man on that court and that bench seemed genuinely happy for him. And it really seemed to bring this team closer together. So great to see!
Posted via Mobile Device
I would think the walk-ons would be the most likable players on the team. They're job is to do the grunt work that helps make the team a success. I doubt they let ego get in the way of their job and the success of the team like probably every player has at some point or another. They are just happy being part of a team without ever getting the public recognition(though like last night it happens occasionally and is icing on the cake).

Take a Joey Gruden. He's a walk-on that really has gone 4 seasons without ever making any real contributions in game. I'm sure he's made plenty of contributions that have helped the team win, just not during games(other than moral support). But being the first walk-on off the bench tells me he could've played college basketball at some level and maybe garnered a scholarship. But he chose to attend UD and be part of a more successful program without the individual performance hoopla.

To me, it seems that person would be easy to want the best things for if I'm a scholarship player. He's not a threat to them or their role on the team and are there to just help them in anyway the coach feels fit. It would take a real arrogant pr--k of a player to not respect them and we don't have those type of players.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:49 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Walkon's have a thankless job but one of the most important. They typically are more knowledgeable about the game than many of the other players on the team....given the fact they have to learn another team's offense and defense over the matter of a few days a run it on scout team at practice...and still learn all of their own team's stuff. It isn't easy.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:04 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,559 Times in 2,452 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
In after game interviews, one of the players ( Crutcher or D Davis) mentioned that the scout team did a great job of preparing them for this game.

Last edited by Lifelong Flyer Fan; 01-14-2018 at 09:08 AM..
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 09:34 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,559 Times in 2,452 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Archdeacon on Gruden

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/spo...L1xFaR2HcNySJ/
Excerpt:
No one though was happier for him than his teammates, a point Grant noted in his post-game comments.

Davis talked about it, too:

“Joey comes to practice every day, works hard, does everything we do and more because he gets us ready. Everything he does is for us. He always puts us before himself. That’s why this was so good. Finally he got something ….and we loved it.”
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (01-14-2018), Radar (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 11:48 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
On Sat AM Sportscenter they did a brief "around the country" segment of highlights from Fri night's college games...one highlight per game since there were no top 25 games played that night. Our only highlight was Joey's shot and the reaction of the bench...very cool. Of course they went on to mention him being Jay's son and Jon's nephew, which helps.
Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 12:21 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,356 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
On Sat AM Sportscenter they did a brief "around the country" segment of highlights from Fri night's college games...one highlight per game since there were no top 25 games played that night. Our only highlight was Joey's shot and the reaction of the bench...very cool. Of course they went on to mention him being Jay's son and Jon's nephew, which helps.
I agree who he’s related to “helped” but there are a lot of kids, nieces and nephews playing on D1 teams in different sports that never make a SportsCenter highlight clip. Joey will always have that clip, which is cool. And the team and Flyer Nation will always have it too. I will be very surprised if the shot isn’t part of this year’s UD highlight film when it’s all done. A special night and a special moment for all.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer69ers (01-14-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (01-14-2018)