Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 08-02-2008, 04:28 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Long Island FLYER is on a distinguished road
Remember This Flyer?

Last night, I was down at the local soccer fields with my daughter's U10 travel team and I'm wearing a red Dayton #23 tee-shirt. Another coach on the adjoining field comes up to me and says "hey what's with that shirt?" (you don't see too many in NY nowadays) I tell him I'm an '81 alumnus and he says "so am I - '73."

The guy's name is Wil Clark(e) and he says he played B-ball at UD. I say "in '73 - as in Johnny Davis, Donald Smith, triple over time loss to UCLA - that team?" He says, "yes, I never got in the game - didn't play much at all, but I was on the team." We then proceed to swap stories about UD, the Flyers, frats, etc for the next 10 minutes or so before we both proceed to our respective practices.

Today, I check out the all-time roster on the Flyers site and I don't see his name. I'm thinking maybe he was a walk-on and they aren't listed (?). Anybody from the early 70s remember the name. Don't know why the guy would BS me. Just curious...
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2008, 10:05 PM
General

Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,232 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, I couldn't find him either. Walk ons are listed on the all time Flyer list--Keith Braswell ('94-95), Ted Fitz ('96-00), Larry Hisle ('92-93), but they may not have kept records for walk-ons back in the '70s.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:19 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Dirty Sanchez can only hope to improve
or maybe he just played bball up at Stuart Hall when he was at UD...
;-)
Old 08-03-2008, 07:11 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Wink Let's check the dates

The UCLA game, was in March of 1974> Must have been doing post grad work "if" he was on the team.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Major

FlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really nice
I graduated in '81 and played as a walk-on on the same team with Negele Knight. Boy was he fast.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Dirty Sanchez can only hope to improve
can you say Shawn Pettus-Brown?
Old 08-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Long Island FLYER View Post
Last night, I was down at the local soccer fields with my daughter's U10 travel team and I'm wearing a red Dayton #23 tee-shirt. Another coach on the adjoining field comes up to me and says "hey what's with that shirt?" (you don't see too many in NY nowadays) I tell him I'm an '81 alumnus and he says "so am I - '73."

The guy's name is Wil Clark(e) and he says he played B-ball at UD. I say "in '73 - as in Johnny Davis, Donald Smith, triple over time loss to UCLA - that team?" He says, "yes, I never got in the game - didn't play much at all, but I was on the team." We then proceed to swap stories about UD, the Flyers, frats, etc for the next 10 minutes or so before we both proceed to our respective practices.

Today, I check out the all-time roster on the Flyers site and I don't see his name. I'm thinking maybe he was a walk-on and they aren't listed (?). Anybody from the early 70s remember the name. Don't know why the guy would BS me. Just curious...
I am a '72 grad, and if I remember right back then they had very few walk-ons on varsity. The frosh team had 4-6 scholly's and the rest walk-on's, which he may have been one of them. I watched every frosh game in what would have been Wil's frosh year because a good friend of mine, Gary Davidson from Cleveland was a walk on, and I do not remember Wil Clark, but that was a long time ago.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:37 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Hey, Jack '72. I checked in with one of the other coaches who was with me last week. He said the guy's name wasn't Wil Clark, it was Wil Clare (or Clair). Does that ring a bell? Still can't find him on the all-time roster.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:19 PM

jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Still does not ring a bell as far as a walk on. This guy was definitely not a scholly player or varsity walk on, as I never missed a game and I knew and remember all their names. Could have been a walk on frosh, and I just do not remember.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:41 PM

By the way for you golf fans. Valhalla in Louisville, the site of the Ryder Cup was created, and maybe is still partly owned by ex-flyer player of the early '70's Gordy Gahm and his dad and two brothers. I remember Gordy's dad used to fly in for every home game from Louisville on his jet to see Gordy play.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:15 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

moville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant future
Maybe he didn't graduate -- just checked the UD alumni directory -- no Wil or William Clark, Clarke, Clair or Clare from those years.

The Frosh team that Gordy was on was a terrific group of players -- the Sizemore twins, John Bitter, Gordy, Steve Hess, Jeff Perry, Nick Dalsey, Davidson . . . there was also a kid from the Bronx - I think his name was O'Connell (or was it McMahon -- Irish kid) - who dropped out after freshman year, returned to NY, joined the NY State Police and became one of the higher-ups in Albany.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:31 PM

One of the Sizemores transferred to I think Tampa, and came back to play against his brother.

I think it was Bitner, not Bitter.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:38 AM
2nd Lieutenant

Moville, I believe you are correct that clare/claire did not graduate, but I don't know why that would prevent him from being on the all-time roster.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:09 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

moville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant future
Flyer '72, it was Bitter -- the only reason I'm sure of it -- when I transferred in '69 I had to make up all the freshman theology classes and he and I sat next to each other that fall. Nice guy. North College Hill HS in Cincy. He may have scored the first basket ever at the Arena -- Murnen, of course, scored the first basket in regulation against BG. But the frosh opened the joint that night playing against a team from Wright Patterson AFB. When that game ended, before the official dedication of the arena began, there must have been 10,000 people there.

As far as the phanton soccer coach from LI. Like me, a New York guy, he may be bull-XXXXing you. That's what NY guys at Dayton did best. Captive audience.

Perhaps, and this is a big perhaps -- we did have a jv team, in addition to the freshmen team. Or, like someone said, maybe he was a star on top of Stuart Hill on the outdoor courts.

Or maybe he was just taking you for a ride.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Jack '72 - I forgot that one of the Sizemore boys went south (literally). Actually, I think the other one bolted too . . . and I don't remember either one on the '71-'72 team, although I'm probably wrong about that. They were both there soph year and both saw little action. They weren't Major College guards.

Speaking of Flyers who bolted for the warm sun . . . do you recall that great NCAA doubleheader at the Arena in '70 when Austin Carr scored 61 against Ohio? The second game featured Jacksonville and playing for the Dolphins was Mike Blevins, who was on the Flyers' NIT championship team. I wasn't on campus in '68, but I don't think he saw much court time at the old Fieldhouse.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,182 Times in 579 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by moville View Post
Jack '72 -

Speaking of Flyers who bolted for the warm sun . . . do you recall that great NCAA doubleheader at the Arena in '70 when Austin Carr scored 61 against Ohio? The second game featured Jacksonville and playing for the Dolphins was Mike Blevins, who was on the Flyers' NIT championship team. I wasn't on campus in '68, but I don't think he saw much court time at the old Fieldhouse.
I well remember the NCAA game at the Arena when Carr scored 61, with no three point shot then, against OU. I was sitting in the stands. The second game featured JimMcDaniels' Western Kentucky team vs. Artis Gilmore's Jacksonville squad. I know that J'ville had a UD transfer, but I certainly can't recall Mike Blevins as a Flyer on the 68 NIT championship team. That NIT team had Bobby Joe Hooper, Don May, Dan Obravic, Dan Sadlier, the Gotshall twins, Jim and Jerry, George Janky and I can't remember the others. NO memory of Mike Blevins at all. I was a frosh that year.

Last edited by Bill McPeek; 08-06-2008 at 03:50 PM..
Old 08-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Hey Bill - You got me thinking about this kid Blevins(kid, he'd be 60 now) who played for Jacksonville in '70 at the are Arena (and was on a Final Four team) . . . thinking whether I imagined that he had been a Flyer -- borrowed a classmate's UD hoops press guide -- sure as shinola, lists him as a member of the '68 NIT champions -- Mike Blevins, 6'4", Soph, Games: 3; RB: 0.7; Pts: 0.0.

That's why you didn't remember him - he never worked up a sweat. Hometown, Lebanon, OH and a Springboro grad.