UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Track & Field/Cross Country

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,452 Times in 781 Posts
DetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Always Great to be a Flyer

Highlight of my day today.... I am standing around at Kensington Metro Park up here in Metro-Detroit watching the Oakland County Cross-Country Championships. My son ran today in the open race. Of course, like virtually any Saturday, I was proudly wearing my UD Football hat and a red, UD polo shirt. So, who comes up and introduces himself? One Mike Anderson!!

http://www.daytonflyers.com/sports/m...en_mike00.html

I knew who he was right away! He went to Milford high school up here in Michigan, (basically where the park is located). Milford was one of the teams competing today, so I think Mike came out to support them. I was actually kind of star struck. Mike is probably the start of the really good runners we have at UD now. He is a very impressive looking athlete. Looks like all muscle and zero body fat! We chatted for a few minutes and talked about UD cross-country! He said the future was bright indeed! Mike is off to Portugal in a few weeks with his girlfriend, (former UD basketball player), who will be playing professionally there in Portugal. It was truly great to meet a UD cross-country and track legend! Completely made my day!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DetroitFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
UACFlyer (10-10-2010), UDBrian (10-14-2010)
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2010, 10:27 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Good post. Mike was indeed an outstanding runner.

Kendel Ross, in her last diary post on daytonflyers.com, mentioned that she and Mike are headed to Portugal. She to play hoops, Mike to teach English. Best of luck to both of them.

http://www.daytonflyers.com/womens/b...rticle_id=6825
Old 10-10-2010, 08:27 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,605 Times in 2,850 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Tugs at your heart...

DF, `69,....I don't know why I thought of this while reading DF's post....but I did.

It's just something about UD, I guess.

I used to get to Wright-Pat on business every other year, or so...almost always found a way to sneek over to campus for an hour or two during such trips. While there I always stayed at the Marriott.

Most always the return trip home involved taking an early morning flight, meaning leaving the hotel not long after sun rise. When pulling out of the Marriott ready to make a right turn on to Paterson you are looking directly across the river at the Arena. In the early morning the sun lights up the Arena...it just glows.

Pausing for a moment to take in the sight I always felt a bit melancholy, knowing that I was leaving UD and Dayton, not really knowing the next time I'd be back.

After being away for about 15 years, our wonderful weekend visit three weeks ago left me with the same feeling,...only worse. There may be no "next time"....who knows? I hope there is....but if, so, it's far from certain.

Go Flyers!