UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 04-23-2015, 09:10 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
I will be VERY disappointed in Archie if he leaves. He has said he wants to be here for a long time. He could answer the question of leaving with some coach speak without saying he wants to be here for a long time. He could say he loves it here and he likes what he is building here but he wouldn't have to say he plans to be here for a long time. If you don't mean it, don't say it. I actually think he WILL be here for a long time, but I may be a sucker.
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (04-23-2015)
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2015, 09:25 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
I will be VERY disappointed in Archie if he leaves. He has said he wants to be here for a long time. He could answer the question of leaving with some coach speak without saying he wants to be here for a long time. He could say he loves it here and he likes what he is building here but he wouldn't have to say he plans to be here for a long time. If you don't mean it, don't say it. I actually think he WILL be here for a long time, but I may be a sucker.
Call me a Dum-Dum too.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:27 AM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
If Shaka had a top 10, Archie at least has a top 3 or 4. And Florida and NCST would be two of them. The more you say you are not interested, the more they chase you and the bigger the offer gets. Arch would be a fool to not even listen to what they had to say.

Watch for these words if he does. "No one could have convinced me they would offer that kind of package. I really loved it at Dayton and I had no intention of leaving".

Get real, folks. We are Dayton. They are Florida.

I just hope they brought Anthony Grant in as the heir apparent.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bonziflyer (04-23-2015), CJ2etc (04-23-2015), Dillomernda (04-23-2015), Gazoo (04-23-2015), Justin (04-23-2015), Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-23-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 09:47 AM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
How in the world would you know what Archie's top 3-4 coaching gigs are?

I mean NC State makes sense as a possibility b/c he and his wife went to school there, but not everyone wants to be at their alma mater, especially if its not their "dream job" and if Archie is honest with himself, he knows the coach at NC State is facing an uphill battle vs UNC, Louisville, Syracuse and Duke in the ACC every season, not to mention their own back yard.

On the other end, Florida makes sense, as they have the resources that easily put them in the top 3 of the SEC (I think most would say 2nd only to UK) and it much, much easier to win big there than it is at NC State, however, who knows if he even likes the idea of living in central florida, with ungodly hot summers, in a part of the state that is "real" florida, not the touristy parts that most of us see along the beaches or in Orlando.

Both could presumably offer more money than UD and easier access to top recruits, more national TV games, etc... so I would be foolish to rule either spot out, but I wouldn't just assume either school (or really any school unless Archie has specifically told them) is his ideal "destination"
Old 04-23-2015, 10:08 AM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
How in the world would you know what Archie's top 3-4 coaching gigs are?

I mean NC State makes sense as a possibility b/c he and his wife went to school there, but not everyone wants to be at their alma mater, especially if its not their "dream job" and if Archie is honest with himself, he knows the coach at NC State is facing an uphill battle vs UNC, Louisville, Syracuse and Duke in the ACC every season, not to mention their own back yard.

On the other end, Florida makes sense, as they have the resources that easily put them in the top 3 of the SEC (I think most would say 2nd only to UK) and it much, much easier to win big there than it is at NC State, however, who knows if he even likes the idea of living in central florida, with ungodly hot summers, in a part of the state that is "real" florida, not the touristy parts that most of us see along the beaches or in Orlando.

Both could presumably offer more money than UD and easier access to top recruits, more national TV games, etc... so I would be foolish to rule either spot out, but I wouldn't just assume either school (or really any school unless Archie has specifically told them) is his ideal "destination"
When Urban left ,their football program went south quickly. Who knows what happens if Billy leaves Florida
Old 04-23-2015, 10:16 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Sure sounds like it's Kevin Ollie's job if he wants it. He has a relationship with OKC management, and most importantly Kevin Durant. OKC can't afford to lose him in free agency, so my guess is who Kevin wants, Kevin gets. No relationship with Billy Donovan.
http://zagsblog.com/articles/unocals...s-no-1-target/
Old 04-23-2015, 10:17 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
I'm with the group that thinks he will be here a while. Couple more years at least.

That said, this one is an interesting test. IF Donovan leaves. IF Florida is interested and offers him a deal. IF he says no...then I think a lot of people will relax. It draws a pretty firm line in the sand as to what kind of job he would leave for.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:36 AM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Just pay Archie...just like Texas, basketball is a red-headed step-child in Florida.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:41 AM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
In the state of Florida maybe, but not at the University of Florida. They are fully invested in basketball, emotionally and financially. Which is why they are undertaking a costly redo of their whole arena.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-23-2015), Viperstick (04-23-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 10:42 AM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
I'll bet there is a juicy buyout clause for any institution that would court Archie...wouldn't be surprised if it's in the neighborhood of $10M the first year.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:09 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,355 Times in 586 Posts
College B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute
AMiller

Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
Just pay Archie...just like Texas, basketball is a red-headed step-child in Florida.
AM's making a lot! It won't be a lack of $$$ or a lack of "respect" from the administration, etc. if he leaves!
Old 04-23-2015, 12:43 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,248 Times in 1,129 Posts
Bat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond repute
You would have to be insane not to listen to an offer of a multi-year package of upwards to $4 MM per year at a first class institution in a major conference; and in the case of Florida, a jurisdiction with no state income taxes. It is especially important for a family's financial security in a profession that is notorious for a lack of job security. We all love UD (and I'm sure AM really is content here...at least for now) but, C'MON, let's be serious...this type of contract affords the type of financial security that no one in his/her right mind could ignore if offered.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:50 PM

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Archie is not leaving this year. How many times does he have to say it?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (05-03-2015), UDGutter2 (04-23-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 01:06 PM
Major General

DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
I feel like a lot of people who are fans of "basketball schools" beat their chests, making arguments like this, without ever considering what it means to have big-time football.

I saw Rick Barnes, who pre-Texas, a long time ago was part of coaching staffs at Providence, George Mason and Davidson explain it this way, paraphrasing, but something to the effect of: "I've been at schools without football. Trust me when I say you want football. It's so much easier to recruit when you have football."

In recruiting, I feel like half the battle is just getting the recruit to take a visit. What kid wouldn't jump at an opportunity to go to a big-time game?
Old 04-23-2015, 01:30 PM
General

Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,232 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
In the state of Florida maybe, but not at the University of Florida. They are fully invested in basketball, emotionally and financially. Which is why they are undertaking a costly redo of their whole arena.
+1

Wife is a Gator & UF is no longer just a football-spring football school. Hoops is very big there now, and so are the non-revenue sports. Heck, my wife just went nuts when their women's gymnastics team won another national championship.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:03 PM
Captain

CJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud of
And Gainesville is a great town. UF is a top notch opportunity. Hope OK hires Ollie and not BD. Love Archie and I really think he loves UD but UF would be a hard one to say no to.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:25 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Viperstick View Post
+1

Wife is a Gator & UF is no longer just a football-spring football school. Hoops is very big there now, and so are the non-revenue sports. Heck, my wife just went nuts when their women's gymnastics team won another national championship.
Hoops might be big when played IN Gainesville but not when the show goes on the road, as demonstrated by the small following in Memphis last year, despite having a title contender. Hoops is big because BD made it big. Take BD away and unless you bring in the names mentioned earlier...not so much.
Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
TA111 (04-23-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 02:26 PM
Major General

Now being reported Ollie has withdrawn his name from consideration.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:03 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
If NC State ever offered Archie, there's no way he would decline. Not a chance.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:17 PM
General

Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buster Goode View Post
If NC State ever offered Archie, there's no way he would decline. Not a chance.
How do you know for sure? There are not all that many coaches coaching where they played. Coach K left Army, Thad left Butler, Billy D never took the Providence job, etc... He may leave UD for it, but if its not where he wants to be long term, and he feels confident where he wants to be long term will be available in the next couple of seasons, it wouldn't be wise to move and have to start somewhere where things are likely "down"
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (04-23-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 03:37 PM
1st Lieutenant

FlyerNation23 is just really niceFlyerNation23 is just really niceFlyerNation23 is just really niceFlyerNation23 is just really niceFlyerNation23 is just really nice
Florida was the number 1 overall seed in the NCAA tourney last year. They also have a top 10 recruiting class coming in. Florida has been a top 10 basketball program for the past 15 years, no reason why it will drop off. I am concerned if Donovan leaves for OKC that Arch is gone.

Donovan makes $4 million a year with Florida. Gregg Marshall is currently making $3.3 million at Witichia State. Does anybody know what Archie is making with his new contract? Does anybody know the first year buyout?
Old 04-23-2015, 03:54 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
I try to believe someone until I see a reason not too. But, there aren't too many people that you can totally rely on when they say "I give you my word". And for people who say it is security I say that someone who is making $1 million a year should be pretty secure in the future.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:06 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
I try to believe someone until I see a reason not too. But, there aren't too many people that you can totally rely on when they say "I give you my word". And for people who say it is security I say that someone who is making $1 million a year should be pretty secure in the future.
And for people who say it is security that someone who is making $1 million a year should be pretty secure in the future really don't know what they're talking about as you simply can't lump every presumed rich person in here......Until you know their lifestyles (for good or bad), geographical regions, their situation, expenses, who they might be supporting from a family standpoint, etc..

Last edited by steve; 04-23-2015 at 04:12 PM..
Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (04-23-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 04:43 PM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
This is the kind of things people say that sounds reasonable until you do the math.

If you made $1M per year for the next 30 years, then sure, you've almost surely got enough money.

But AM is, what, 38 years old? If he made $1M per year for the last 5 years (on average) and was fired next year, and couldn't find another job, he would end up nearly destitute. Even if he SAVED $3M out of the $5M (extremely likely since taxes alone would consume 30%+), it's not likely that $3M cash lasts you and your family for the next 40-50 years.

If he was out of coaching in the next 2-3 years he absolutely could not stop working with enough savings to last until age 85. Is that a likely scenario? Not in the least. Is it likely that you will lose your job and not be able to find any work at all for the next X years until you're 85? Also not likely, but, I'll bet you worry about it some nights. Some people worry more than others.

When your wife looks at you and says "it sure would be disappointing to retire in Bethany Village instead of a beachside 10,000 square foot mansion in Florida like our friends the Johnson's" you're wise to consider your options. That doesn't make anyone a bad person, it's just something to consider, that's all.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:17 PM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
This is the kind of things people say that sounds reasonable until you do the math.

If you made $1M per year for the next 30 years, then sure, you've almost surely got enough money.

But AM is, what, 38 years old? If he made $1M per year for the last 5 years (on average) and was fired next year, and couldn't find another job, he would end up nearly destitute. Even if he SAVED $3M out of the $5M (extremely likely since taxes alone would consume 30%+), it's not likely that $3M cash lasts you and your family for the next 40-50 years.

If he was out of coaching in the next 2-3 years he absolutely could not stop working with enough savings to last until age 85. Is that a likely scenario? Not in the least. Is it likely that you will lose your job and not be able to find any work at all for the next X years until you're 85? Also not likely, but, I'll bet you worry about it some nights. Some people worry more than others.

When your wife looks at you and says "it sure would be disappointing to retire in Bethany Village instead of a beachside 10,000 square foot mansion in Florida like our friends the Johnson's" you're wise to consider your options. That doesn't make anyone a bad person, it's just something to consider, that's all.
Those frickin' Johnson's and Jones's. Making my life miserable.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (04-28-2015), springborofan (04-25-2015), TX Flyer (04-25-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 05:36 PM
Captain

224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyerNation23 View Post
Florida was the number 1 overall seed in the NCAA tourney last year. They also have a top 10 recruiting class coming in. Florida has been a top 10 basketball program for the past 15 years, no reason why it will drop off. I am concerned if Donovan leaves for OKC that Arch is gone.

Donovan makes $4 million a year with Florida. Gregg Marshall is currently making $3.3 million at Witichia State. Does anybody know what Archie is making with his new contract? Does anybody know the first year buyout?
Originally Posted by UDDoug View Post
The $1.5 is a little short from what I hear
Doug we may have a similar source, as I heard salary is a little north of your $1.5 number and buyout close to double that. The buyout is a BIGGGGGG number.

But if Florida wants Archie, they make it work. Florida is a really good job. A lot of dominos have to fall for it to happen as we are speculating on Archie taking a job that isn't even open, but if it does, and he takes it, can't blame him.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:21 PM

Florida's facilities are top shelf in every sport. They aim for National Championships to start, and settle for SEC Championships often. Then there is the girls. Have you seen the Dazzlers!!
The place is like an Olympic training grounds. I was accepted into their grad school as a cave man when the place looked like Antioch. Ended up going to Iowa. What was I thinking?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-23-2015), Viperstick (04-24-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 06:56 PM

Thanked 6,126 Times in 4,171 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
Well that sucks.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:39 PM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 224 View Post
Doug we may have a similar source, as I heard salary is a little north of your $1.5 number and buyout close to double that. The buyout is a BIGGGGGG number.

But if Florida wants Archie, they make it work. Florida is a really good job. A lot of dominos have to fall for it to happen as we are speculating on Archie taking a job that isn't even open, but if it does, and he takes it, can't blame him.
Over a mill short,plus that doesn't included other perks for Archie
Old 04-23-2015, 08:11 PM

Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,074 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
...Then there is the girls. Have you seen the Dazzlers...
Have you seen Morgan Miller?
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to UDEE79 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (04-28-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 08:33 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,409 Times in 577 Posts
anthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
Which is code for OKC is targeting Billy D. and Ollie was not their first choice.

Florida had to make a record 7 million dollar buyout to Colorado St. for their football coach only 3 months ago. I know they have plenty of funds, but do they want to pay another large payout to UD or Wichita St. for basketball?

Florida was nothing before Billy D and Lon Krueger. Their first NCAA appearance was in 1987. They made the tourney 3 times before Lon's arrival and were placed on probation because of those years. Yes, they have been great under Billy D. I don't consider them a top 4 program.

If Florida comes calling, Archie and Morgan should give Urban Meyer and his wife a phone call. I've read Shelley Meyer wasn't a fan of Gainesville, FL.

With all of that said, I hear Gregg Marshall and Scott Drew are GREAT coaches, much better than Archie and would be a much better fit in Gainesville than Arch.
Mad Props to anthonycharles For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (04-24-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 08:39 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyerNation23
I am concerned if Donovan leaves for OKC that Arch is gone.
If Donovan goes I put my money on John Pelphrey to replace him
Old 04-23-2015, 08:57 PM
Captain

224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NCkevi View Post
If Donovan goes I put my money on John Pelphrey to replace him
Sports Illustrated published this list of potential Donovan replacements last July, so take it for what is worth. Archie and Marshall are not on the list.

- Shaka Smart (he's obviously out)
- Kevin Ollie (wouldn't think so but who knows)
- Anthony Grant (interesting since he's now a UF assistant & friends with AD)
- Richard Pitino
- Josh Pastner
- Andy Enfield
- John Pelphry (Florida assistant)
- Matt McCall (likely out as he was hired 2 weeks ago as Chatanooga HC)
- Chris Caputo (Miami assistant)

Article: http://www.si.com/college-basketball...l-replacements
Old 04-23-2015, 09:07 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,858 Times in 719 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
I said when Archie was hired that I hope he's gone in five years. That was nothing to do with him personally, and was only because it meant had achieved enough to move on quickly.

I hope that doesn't turn our to be true
Old 04-23-2015, 09:56 PM
Captain

marco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to behold
I'm a UF Gator... grad school major ... Gainesville is a big campus. It is not upscale like Sean has in Arizona. It is not cosmopolitan. It is a small town with a huge college and suburbs and strip malls.

I'm not dreaming on going back to live there.

As a student ... we talked about the best thing about Gainesville was ... it was hours from Gulf and Atlantic. On week ends students left town.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by 224 View Post
Sports Illustrated published this list of potential Donovan replacements last July, so take it for what is worth. Archie and Marshall are not on the list.

- Shaka Smart (he's obviously out)
- Kevin Ollie (wouldn't think so but who knows)
- Anthony Grant (interesting since he's now a UF assistant & friends with AD)
- Richard Pitino
- Josh Pastner
- Andy Enfield
- John Pelphry (Florida assistant)
- Matt McCall (likely out as he was hired 2 weeks ago as Chatanooga HC)
- Chris Caputo (Miami assistant)

Article: http://www.si.com/college-basketball...l-replacements
For Arch not to be on that list at all is laughable. Sports Illustrated has reached the bottom on their subject matter and their so called "swimsuit" issue.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:02 AM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
You can be assured Archie is on all their lists now. He heads some I would bet. If he is offered and doesn't take it, I still wouldn't put much into it. I believe a job will present itself that he will accept in the next two to three years. I think it is a solid bet he is gone after three years. Then it will be, "farewell Archie, we barely knew ye" It will be a sad day for sure.
Mad Props to FLYER5 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Dillomernda (04-24-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 08:15 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,355 Times in 586 Posts
College B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute
AMiller

Originally Posted by FLYER5 View Post
You can be assured Archie is on all their lists now. He heads some I would bet. If he is offered and doesn't take it, I still wouldn't put much into it. I believe a job will present itself that he will accept in the next two to three years. I think it is a solid bet he is gone after three years. Then it will be, "farewell Archie, we barely knew ye" It will be a sad day for sure.
5, most of us believe the same thing about Archie! We all hope he stays a long time---but understand he probably will NOT be here for ever! Hopefully, he hangs around long enough to help us get into the Big (L)east!
Mad Props to College B-Ball Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-24-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 08:30 AM
General of the Air Force

For Arch not to be on that list at all is laughable. Sports Illustrated has reached the bottom on their subject matter and their so called "swimsuit" issue.
Possible that they know something that we don't - like Archie has told someone in no uncertain terms that he is not leaving this year - period?
Old 04-24-2015, 09:48 AM
Major

Bucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
Possible that they know something that we don't - like Archie has told someone in no uncertain terms that he is not leaving this year - period?
Based on the timing of that list, I think it's more likely he wasn't viewed as experienced enough and that the E8 may have been an aberration. Last season erased that for many in the national press.

There's no hiding now. Archie is a legitimate national contender for almost any opening. What we experienced at the beginning of this off season is the new reality and will be as long as we are successful and Archie is here.

There is a level of anxiety every off season. Better this than can we get to a winning season.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
I wouldn't give SI that much credit, but I do believe that is a possibility. Technically all requests go through Wabler, and possibly he & Arch have a pact.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:25 AM
Major General

Here's my take -- I think Archie is so focused on Dayton and very happy, so he's not entertaining other jobs. He's more than happy to agree to extensions, because he is just focused on Dayton. But I am sure he knows that he doesn't have to look for other opportunities. Other ADs, or representatives of schools, will hunt him down. And he may get offered a job he can't refuse. But I think he's not looking for it, not now at least. My guess is that Archie feels the timing isn't right to leave now. That said, there's always danger in him being made that offer he can't refuse, knowing that particular opportunity won't come around again. Don't know if Florida would be that offer if it came. Maybe.

From the sound of things, Ohio State's job might be opening up in a year or two with Thad's health, and that timing might be more what Archie has in mind. With as close as Archie and Thad are, I think Archie probably knows what Thad's intentions are as well as anyone, whether it matters or not.

Last edited by DallasFlyer; 04-24-2015 at 11:32 AM..
Old 04-24-2015, 11:30 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,484 Times in 810 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
He may leave, he may not. Is it that inconceivable that he stays as long as Dayton will keep him around? Archie isn't blind - he sees coaches 'move up' and then get fired all the time. At Dayton, he can stay in one spot his whole career, compete at a high level without the worry of being fired due to a stretch of 3 or 4 bad seasons, and be a legend. If Dayton pays him a ton, money doesn't have to be an issue.

Not saying he will stay forever. But money doesn't have to be an issue. It could be. Level of competition doesn't have to be an issue. It could be. And if legacy is what he wants, staying at Dayton is the best place for that.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:11 PM
General

Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,232 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by anthonycharles View Post
I've read Shelley Meyer wasn't a fan of Gainesville, FL.
There's a reason for that I won't go into here, but let's just say it wasn't the weather.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:26 PM
Major

number21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant future
Why can't we just take Archie for his word when he says "I like it here".
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to number21 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Sea Bass (04-24-2015), TMPH66 (04-25-2015), UDGutter2 (04-24-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 08:10 PM
Major

cralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by number21 View Post
Because, we are all like the guy that gets the girl we never thought we would get. Once we have her we drive her away with jealous antics proving we were never good enough. Rather than accepting and enjoying what we have we would prefer to drive her away so that we can say I told you so.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:24 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cralford View Post
Because, we are all like the guy that gets the girl we never thought we would get. Once we have her we drive her away with jealous antics proving we were never good enough. Rather than accepting and enjoying what we have we would prefer to drive her away so that we can say I told you so.
maybe some but not all
Old 04-24-2015, 08:34 PM
Major

cralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
maybe some but not all
I should have said the naysayers rather than all. I think most of us are just enjoying this baby
Old 04-24-2015, 08:50 PM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by number21 View Post
I think he would leave for his alma mater in a heart beat. Other than that I am not so sure.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
Buster Goode (04-25-2015), rollo (04-25-2015)
Old 04-25-2015, 12:59 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
How do you know for sure? There are not all that many coaches coaching where they played. Coach K left Army, Thad left Butler, Billy D never took the Providence job, etc... He may leave UD for it, but if its not where he wants to be long term, and he feels confident where he wants to be long term will be available in the next couple of seasons, it wouldn't be wise to move and have to start somewhere where things are likely "down"
He played for NC State. NC State is in a better conference. His wife was a student-athlete at that same school. I assume they have resources to offer more money. If he didn't take that job, he should have his head examined. Here end of story.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:53 AM
Colonel

He played for NC State. NC State is in a better conference. His wife was a student-athlete at that same school. I assume they have resources to offer more money. If he didn't take that job, he should have his head examined. Here end of story.
Plus he knows how they did his friend Herb Sendeck at NCState too
Mad Props to Atlantic 10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (04-25-2015)
Old 04-25-2015, 08:51 AM

Thanked 6,126 Times in 4,171 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
I am just not convinced...compete with Duke, UNC, Louisville, Syracuse...haven't been really big since Valvano...ran out Sendek...sort of 3 strikes.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:00 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,489 Times in 764 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Does anyone know what type of relationship Archie has with Don Donoher? I wonder what type of advice Don would give to Archie, given that Don's coaching path is somewhat different in that he has roots in the area, basically never left his alma mater and only had one coaching job in his career, and is now a hall of fame coach?
Old 04-25-2015, 09:39 AM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
I still would not discount the hometown team. One brother goes away while the other stays near home.... is not an unlikely scenario imo. Dad is getting older and because Pitt is the hometown team I only see a bit of irony with it being brother Sean's alma mater. Jamie Dixon would seem ripe for the picking and I could see Archie being that target. They complete the northern Bermuda triangle for me consisting of Pitt, tOSU, and NC ST. as the most likely (threatening) destinations. I also wouldn't be at all surprised if he ends up farther away from home than Sean. This coming season is viewed as a double-edged sword by some because the better we do the more attention Archie gets. Another E8 and this place will be crawling with trolls. One thing is for sure in my mind, if and when he leaves the program will be in better shape than when any previous UD coach vacated the position. Go Flyers
Old 04-25-2015, 10:18 AM
Colonel

I still would not discount the hometown team. One brother goes away while the other stays near home.... is not an unlikely scenario imo. Dad is getting older and because Pitt is the hometown team I only see a bit of irony with it being brother Sean's alma mater. Jamie Dixon would seem ripe for the picking and I could see Archie being that target. They complete the northern Bermuda triangle for me consisting of Pitt, tOSU, and NC ST. as the most likely (threatening) destinations. I also wouldn't be at all surprised if he ends up farther away from home than Sean. This coming season is viewed as a double-edged sword by some because the better we do the more attention Archie gets. Another E8 and this place will be crawling with trolls. One thing is for sure in my mind, if and when he leaves the program will be in better shape than when any previous UD coach vacated the position. Go Flyers
My gut feeling is when Matta steps down Archie is the top choice at the Scarlet and Gray and takes the job
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Atlantic 10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Buick-Flyer (04-26-2015), College B-Ball Fan (04-25-2015), rollo (04-25-2015), springborofan (04-25-2015)
Old 04-25-2015, 12:12 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Atlantic 10 View Post
My gut feeling is when Matta steps down Archie is the top choice at the Scarlet and Gray and takes the job
If UD was proactive, they would offer Thad a lifetime supply of free acupuncture and chiropractic services...
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (04-25-2015), ud2 (04-25-2015)
Old 04-25-2015, 12:13 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

TX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I love my job but if someone comes offering a better package financially with more perks im Outta here. Now if i was older and near the end of my career I would stay. But right now Archie is still to young to pass up a great opportunity at a true blue blood school
Old 04-25-2015, 01:55 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,956 Times in 534 Posts
shapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond repute
Looks like Florida could be looking for a coach if OKC wants Donovan...

Almost everyone I have spoken to close to Billy Donovan believes he will take the OKC job -- if/when it's offered.
— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanESPN) April 24, 2015

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN
Donovan: Also understand this could come down to family decision. Does wife want to go to OKC, son is h.s. senior, has younger daughter.

Last edited by shapanud; 04-25-2015 at 01:57 PM..
Old 04-25-2015, 04:02 PM
Colonel

redbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud of
Maybe it helps keep Archie away from Pitt since they just hired as their new A.D. the infamous 2015 Selection Committee Chair Scott Barnes. Tough to work for a guy who tried to keep your well-deserving team out of The Dance. This is only half tongue-in-cheek btw. Is there an icon for that?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to redbengal For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-25-2015), ruechalgrin (04-25-2015)
Old 04-25-2015, 04:59 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by redbengal View Post
This is only half tongue-in-cheek btw. Is there an icon for that?
Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
redbengal (04-25-2015)
Old 04-25-2015, 09:05 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
I like how the same thing is said over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over on this thread. here is my thought: Archies going to OSU, Archies going to Pitt Archies going to NC State,Archie has said he likes it here,Archie will see thru the Scooch,KP,KD class. Also i think we should play Wright State on MLK day. CBS would pick that game up. Sometimes this board reminds me of "700WLW guy" Fire Marvin! Fire Dusty! Get someone better! "We should trade Brandon Phillips and Homer Bailey for Mike Trout"

As has been said many times, it is most definitely the offseason.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-26-2015), flyerfanatic86 (04-27-2015), jack72 (04-26-2015), Tony T 71 (04-27-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 08:55 AM
Brigadier General

I don't know if that is all sarcasm but anyhow I like how you said it over again. Everything you said I agree with, except the part about playing teams that would have the potential impact to keep us from dancing. By not scheduling teams that will allow us to waller through the bottom-feeders in the A-10 and still impress The Committee enough for a bid. UD was the last team in the tourney last season. It should serve as a reminder what will happen if we schedule bad teams in the future.

Last edited by FLYER5; 04-26-2015 at 08:59 AM..
Old 04-26-2015, 09:09 AM

Wake me when we sign a player this spring/summer. The kid wouldn't sign at this point if he had any thought Arch was leaving soon.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:45 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know if that is all sarcasm but anyhow I like how you said it over again. Everything you said I agree with, except the part about playing teams that would have the potential impact to keep us from dancing. By not scheduling teams that will allow us to waller through the bottom-feeders in the A-10 and still impress The Committee enough for a bid. UD was the last team in the tourney last season. It should serve as a reminder what will happen if we schedule bad teams in the future.
Perhaps if we had beaten the Dukes and Explorers at the end of the regular season there would not be any doubt about making the dance.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:08 AM
Brigadier General

Hey, this is true. But that doesn't justify scheduling ooc patsies. Perhaps we shouldn't get upset on the road like every other team in the ncaa. Plus those teams you mentioned have been on a downslide. They've been competitive in the current five-year span. They are way above the team mentioned still. If you look through conference standings you will surely find where the doormats in leagues have upsets of top teams in their respective conferences among their few wins. It almost always happens. Couple that with the stat that more than 75% of home teams win. I'm not making excuses I'm just trying to rationalize the situation and prepare you for more road upsets this upcoming season. And every year following.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:31 AM
Brigadier General

BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
it was sarcasm from start to finsih. Especially the Wright State nonsense.
Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-26-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 11:40 AM
Brigadier General

I thought it was all sarcasm at first but when I reread I talked myself out of it when you started using the word "I" mid-paragraph. Should've stayed on but you threw me off the merry-go-round.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:44 PM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting that ESPN rated Miller an A hire in 2011. Nice call on a 32 year old with no head coaching experience!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6448951
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2015, 05:03 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by ruechalgrin View Post
Interesting that ESPN rated Miller an A hire in 2011. Nice call on a 32 year old with no head coaching experience!

Posted via Mobile Device
It is interesting looking at the rest of the grades too.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-27-2015)
Old 04-27-2015, 05:04 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by ruechalgrin View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
Georgia Tech's coaching hire got a D. Is this writer the best at seeing the future or what?
Old 04-27-2015, 05:05 PM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
espn also rated geno ford at bradley an A hire. Big miss there
Old 04-27-2015, 06:09 PM
Brigadier General

Georgia Tech's coaching hire got a D. Is this writer the best at seeing the future or what?
The guy ran an offense that included Devin Searcy and Kurt Huelsman repeatedly catching the ball in the weave offense 30 feet from the hoop....the hire deserved an F. Great defensive coach, great toughness guy. Rebounding,defense and recruiting were his HUGE plusses, Offense,free throws and his player development were equal detriments.

Average coach. Great guy. I truly hope this dude heads back to East Lansing as an Associate Head Coach and enjoys the success he can contribute too.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:04 PM
Major

Flyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cralford View Post
Some folks lack of moral fiber, low self esteem, etc. and these views are inferred on Archie. Some folks get it and some don't understand the Renaissance man.

Some folks need to understand that the big jobs come with big social requirements. You have to meet, greet, and kiss ass of the big donors. Archie looks at this and cringes. Some folks might like this but Archie is not one of them. Watch his TV show, if you are a donor and attends Dr. Levitt's picnic you will know what I'm talking about.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:41 PM
Major

UDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant future
This thread is an Archie Rumors thread?

Is their a single rumor out there? Are we just having fun in the off season?
Mad Props to UDTradition For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (05-03-2015)
Old 04-27-2015, 10:51 PM
1st Lieutenant

Dillomernda is a glorious beacon of lightDillomernda is a glorious beacon of lightDillomernda is a glorious beacon of lightDillomernda is a glorious beacon of lightDillomernda is a glorious beacon of lightDillomernda is a glorious beacon of light
Eli Carter, a Florida player, is transferring. I can't help but wonder if he knows something that the public does not know. TFWIW
Old 04-27-2015, 11:34 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by Dillomernda View Post
Eli Carter, a Florida player, is transferring. I can't help but wonder if he knows something that the public does not know. TFWIW
I doubt it. Kid committed to St. Bona, went to Rutgers, them transferred to Florida. Since high school he will have played for or committed to 4 colleges and a prep school. In high school he played for Bobby Hurley, so look for him to end up at ASU. Although, once upon a time, in his Brewster Prep days, Dayton actually recruited Eli Carter.

https://twitter.com/TheRecruitScoop/...22428122415104

Last edited by DallasFlyer; 04-27-2015 at 11:51 PM..
Old 04-28-2015, 06:58 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDTradition View Post
This thread is an Archie Rumors thread?

Is their a single rumor out there? Are we just having fun in the off season?

I heard Archie actually took an afternoon off from working and cracked a smile one day last week.

OK, so I made that up, but at least I am more on topic than most of the posts!
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-29-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 07:26 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,560 Times in 2,453 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
This is not a rumor. On Sunday night, Archie was inducted into the Beaver County Hall of Fame.
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/...-his-ho/nk4Kq/
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (04-28-2015), College B-Ball Fan (04-28-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 08:24 AM
Major General

steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
This is not a rumor. On Sunday night, Archie was inducted into the Beaver County Hall of Fame.
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/...-his-ho/nk4Kq/
And a super achievement it was right before he packs up his bags and takes the UF job..Go AM.....LOL
Old 04-28-2015, 09:23 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,489 Times in 764 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer2 View Post
Some folks need to understand that the big jobs come with big social requirements. You have to meet, greet, and kiss ass of the big donors. Archie looks at this and cringes. Some folks might like this but Archie is not one of them. Watch his TV show, if you are a donor and attends Dr. Levitt's picnic you will know what I'm talking about.
So does this mean that Archie might look at UD as a better long term fit for him personally? Great facilities, great fan base/support, great financial package, great administration support, ability to recruit successfully, ability to win at a high level, AND, less pressure to "press the flesh" and make public appearances than would be required at any power 5 conference school?
Old 04-28-2015, 09:37 AM

Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Archie has said that UD gave him a chance when his record was 0-0. IMO that means a lot to him and hopefully it means that if/when he leaves it won't be all about the money but about what is in his heart.

If you are making 7 figures is doubling going to impact any lifestyle choices?

Interesting in looking at his brother. He left X for Arizona and more money, has he gotten closer to a national championship in his time at UofA then he did at XU?
Old 04-28-2015, 09:47 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by Sea Bass View Post
Archie has said that UD gave him a chance when his record was 0-0. IMO that means a lot to him and hopefully it means that if/when he leaves it won't be all about the money but about what is in his heart.

Interesting in looking at his brother. He left X for Arizona and more money, has he gotten closer to a national championship in his time at UofA then he did at XU?
What’s in his heart = his wife and kids. For a basketball coach who eats, sleeps, breathes basketball, lifestyle may not change much. Does 2 million vs 4 million change things? To a coach's wife, maybe she says, "honey, you can retire earlier."
Old 04-28-2015, 10:10 AM
General

I think if you were to double anyone's lifestyle, it impacts their life, or at least their opportunities. From retiring much earlier, to setting up his children for life financially, to philanthropic endeavors, to perhaps carving out a spot for some possession he's always dreamed of, but always figured would be truly out of reach, etc... None of us really have any idea what is in Archie's head and heart, sure he says all the right things, but so do most coaches, so I've learned to take that with a grain of salt. The far better test is how long his name is mentioned with various job openings. For the near future, his name will always crop up anytime there is a power 5 opening from the various media types. However, if it never makes it past that stage, that means that Archie himself isn't taking the phone calls or politely declining the interest from other schools. That is what you've seen each of the last 2 off seasons, lots of media mentions, but never anything beyond those early mentions which would indicate that neither Archie nor his agent are listening to any offers. Perhaps an opening at Florida would change that, perhaps Archie has a list of schools that he would entertain, and has no interest in anything beyond that small list.

Retire early? I'd be shocked if Archie ever, voluntarily retired early for anything beyond health reasons. The guy is a complete gym rat, and he strikes me as the type who would never be happy doing anything other than coaching basketball, especially now that he's tasted a certain level of success, and solidified a darn fine salary that will have him living comfortably as long as he likes.

Is Sean closer to a title? On court success would say he's basically gone roughly the same distance as he did at Xavier, however, he's brought in national, top 25 type recruits, he's got what some consider to be the 2nd or 3rd best class this year. He's raised the talent level that he's competing with, but he's also had to deal with a bunch of 1 & dones, he's yet to have the David West type guy who sticks around 4 seasons and is the glue to a lot of success before becoming a lottery pick in the NBA. Has that all been worth it to him? Living further away from his roots, spending the summer in the hot dessert sun, in a dry, arid climate? Who knows, the paycheck is bigger, the opportunity is bigger, but neither guarantee success or personal happiness.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:43 AM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
I have heard that AM is not nearly as "warm and fuzzy" as BG was. BG was as nice and genuine as any person could ever be under that kind of daily pressure cooker. I've heard that AM just doesn't really enjoy the small talk with uneducated schmucks like most of us. And for that, who could blame him.

Maybe he's got a little Bobby Knight in him and can see through the people who just want a piece of the action / politics and UD has agreed to protect him from that stuff? That might be worth a few $$ to a guy with a certain personality.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:59 AM

I do find it interesting that the team that has taken out UofA each of the last 2 years is one that for the most part does it with 4 year players that were not top recruits coming out of HS.
Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
redbengal (04-28-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 11:11 AM
Major General

It meant an awful lot more when they gave him another chance with 1-5 A10 record in Jan 2014..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-28-2015), Sea Bass (04-28-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 11:56 AM
Captain

chicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud of
BG was the CEO of the Dayton Flyers Basketball Program - liked the bright lights, the recognition, the community outreach, etc. AM is more like the COO who stays behind the scenes and works his butt off to deliver on what the CEO (Wabler CEO of Athletic Deprtment) has envisioned. He just wants to win basketball games and help his players e successful. I will take an AM type person every single time!
Mad Props to chicago92 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-28-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 12:12 PM

Agree.

Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
I have heard that AM is not nearly as "warm and fuzzy" as BG was. BG was as nice and genuine as any person could ever be under that kind of daily pressure cooker. I've heard that AM just doesn't really enjoy the small talk with uneducated schmucks like most of us. And for that, who could blame him.

Maybe he's got a little Bobby Knight in him and can see through the people who just want a piece of the action / politics and UD has agreed to protect him from that stuff? That might be worth a few $$ to a guy with a certain personality.
Archie is more totally focused on the task. I've read nothing that says he is unapproachable. He simply has had his plate full with all that has gone on. I mean really, W's pay a lot better than "warm and fuzzy" ever will.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:01 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
It's really more of a case of an Introvert vs. an Extrovert.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:47 PM
Brigadier General

Mark Few of Gonzaga gives us hope that there is a chance.......

Does anyone think Sean would throw his brother a bone and agree to a 2 for 1 after next year if(when) we make the Dance next year?

Last edited by BRob2Perryman3; 04-28-2015 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: Edit:
Old 04-28-2015, 06:14 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 View Post
Mark Few of Gonzaga gives us hope that there is a chance.......

Does anyone think Sean would throw his brother a bone and agree to a 2 for 1 after next year if(when) we make the Dance next year?
No I don't. Neither want to play each other if they don't have to. The last thing they would want to do is agree to do so for the next three years.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:25 AM

Billy Donovan in talks with the Thunder today.

"Donovan's Gators just endured a 16-17 season in which they failed to qualify for postseason play for only the second time in his 19-year Florida career. Sources say he has grown weary of the college recruiting grind, which apparently has increased his interest in jumping to the NBA."

Last edited by San Diego Flyer; 04-29-2015 at 09:30 AM..
Old 04-29-2015, 11:12 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,956 Times in 534 Posts
shapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond repute
Billy Donovan in talks with the Thunder today.

"Donovan's Gators just endured a 16-17 season in which they failed to qualify for postseason play for only the second time in his 19-year Florida career. Sources say he has grown weary of the college recruiting grind, which apparently has increased his interest in jumping to the NBA."
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12...ching-position

If it happens, this thread is about to get a lot more active
Old 04-29-2015, 12:52 PM
Captain

1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold
UF basketball message boards not quite waking up yet (it is, after all, spring football season), though the few gator fans talking bball definitely want Archie or Marshall. Some are suggesting that Grant was brought onboard in case Donovan bolted. I don't agree, with Pelphrey already sitting on their bench.

http://gatorchatter.com/forum/main-s...talks-with-okc
Mad Props to 1903 Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 12:58 PM

Thanked 15,877 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
If Donovan bolts to the NBA, at the very least Grant can serve as an interim head coach for a season until their #1 candidate becomes available...
Atlantic 10 (04-29-2015), CE80 (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 01:06 PM
Major General

My guess IF Donovan goes, Grant will go with him to the NBA. Pelphrey will get interviewed for the job, but Florida will also extend feelers to both Archie and Gregg Marshall.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:07 PM

If Marshall turned down Alabama I doubt he has an interest in Florida.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:13 PM
Major General

Although, when I actually look at it, Grant seems like a MUCH better hire than Pelphrey. Maybe they'd both get interviewed...

Grant's record as head coach of Alabama in 6 seasons - 117-85. Overall, his coaching record was 193-110.

Pelphrey's record as head coach of Arkansas in 4 seasons - 69 - 59. Overall, his coaching record was 149-126.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:18 PM
Major General

If Marshall turned down Alabama I doubt he has an interest in Florida.
It kind of seemed like Marshall wanted to take it but his family nixed it. I think Florida is a better gig than Bama, and money should be the same. Doesn't change the fact that I think his kids want to finish high school where they are (they were tweeting to basketball pundits), but I can definitely see Marshall wanting the Florida gig if he can convince his family.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:51 PM

Florida is all about Billy D and football money. There were nothing before he got there. Alabama was a really good basketball program back in the 70s and 80s when Newton and Sanderson were coaching. In the SEC everyone is going to play third fiddle to football and UK basketball. It's all about the money, which is almost always the case.