UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-12-2015, 11:21 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Chattanooga Game Comments - Disappointment

This game was very different than the Vandy game. UD played poorly all night. Very frustrating to watch.

Bad numbers:
- 3 defense continues to be awful. Too many teams are shooting a high percentage of 3s
- 3 offense was terrible. Chattanooga packed it in all night, yet, there were no open 3 shooters, except Kyle Davis. Teams are daring him to shoot. He hit one but then missed fairly badly after that. Baby D has to wake up his three shot.
- I don't understand how Chattanooga outrebounded UD. That shows up as poor effort.
- Free Throw shooting, All the summer work has not paid off for Pollard. Cooke continues to baffle me with awful FT shooting.
- Cooke was AWOL again tonight. He played 35 minutes and was not a factor.

Yes, Chattanooga is a good team. They have long arms and defend well, but UD should have won the game.

Causes:
- The team still does not know how to play offense with Steve. Poor entry passes too often. Offense was stagnant. Not the crisp ball movement of last year. They need to pass and move better when Steve is on the floor.
- Rebounding and defending the 3. Effort and concentration
- Free throws. In Cooke case, concentration. In Pollard's case.... bad mechanics.
- Defense. The team plays better D when it scores. When it does not score it lets down some. We've seen this before. Baby D and Cooke were not good. Defending the inside pick and roll is still a big problem. The team is relying too much on Steve to block shots.
- Freshman are making poor contributions. Their numbers of minutes were down and Mikesell never left the bench for the second consecutive game.

First half was a snoozer. Low energy. Disappointing. 29 points. 32 points against Vandy. This team seems to struggle until it hits its first 3 point shot.

UD blitzed out of the locker room with a 13-2 run and then inexplicably gave u two 3s that changed the game. That was the turning point. Without those turnovers UD wins...

Normally, in the Archie era, UD wins the last 3 minutes of the game. This time it did not happen. Lots of blunders during that stretch. Did the players play too many minutes? it was very hot in the arena due the abnormal December temperatures.

Give credit to Chattanooga, but UD did not play well.

Some positives.

Pollard is finding his groove and can't be stopped one on one.
Steve is impacting other teams on defense. 5 blocks.
Baby D's play is improving on offense. His defense is still super weak.
Kyle Davis hit a three.
UD fouls were down.
Turnovers were acceptable.
Scoochie had some good moments.

Devin Oliver and his dad were at the game right behind the bench.

As mentioned in other threads, not the end of the world, but it was not a good night.

Last edited by SeasonTicketFan; 12-12-2015 at 11:23 PM.. Reason: typo
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (12-13-2015), shocka43 (12-16-2015)
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2015, 12:18 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,248 Times in 1,129 Posts
Bat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond repute
We're a good team, but not a great team. IMHO, this may pay dividends in the end. UTC is a good team, we had an off night. We all got a little giddy, thinking we were on a roll and couldn't be beat, especially at Home. Well, ring-a ding-ding, we just aren't that good. Wake up boyz, take a strong gulp of espresso and start practicing with heart. We can beat anybody on any given night and we can lose to a decent team on any given night. Let's hope AM and his staff can pound this reality into the kids. I'm an Old Fart, and I've seen this movie way too often in the past. Let's regroup, realize our poop actually does stink, and work hard on our flaws. If anybody can get our kids back on track, it's AM and his staff. I'm not blaming individual for this loss...it's a TEAM loss. Let's put this one behind us and learn form it...it's a loooong season.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Bat'71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-13-2015), FLYER5 (12-13-2015), Tony T 71 (12-13-2015)
Old 12-13-2015, 12:59 AM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
three things stood out at halftime.
- Pollard had zero rebounds
- bench was completely overmatched
- not enough perimeter shooting to space the floor.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:03 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Old Fart: I am one too and I completely agree. Don't read your own press clippings. Parcells always said, "you are what your record says you are." We are a good team but not a Top 25 team, which we should strive to be on a yearly basis.

Honestly, the 10 "Bad Numbers" and "Causes" set forth above, do not make me overly optimistic going into A10 competition since a lot of them (defense, offense, free throw shooting, entry passing, ball movement) should have been rectified by now. I cannot blame the freshman no matter how much hype they might have coming in. They are freshman and years ago would have played against other freshman also just learning the college game. Don May and Bobby Joe Hooper did not play varsity right out of the box they were on the freshman team.

Come back in next game real strong. I am sure that our next opponents, Furman and Miami Ohio are not happy about us getting beat at home just before we play them.

Being in Top 25 at end of the year will be fine with me. I actually remember when it was the Top 20.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer68 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bat'71 (12-14-2015), FLYER5 (12-13-2015)
Old 12-13-2015, 08:28 AM
General

Thanked 1,267 Times in 785 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
i feel like the offense is plodding , and there is NO 3 threat we can constantly rely on and expect. I don't blame Pollard that much for taking the offense on his shoulders, and this will be rectified upon DP's return.

Just plodding, and inept and egads. Where's the leadership by Kyle Davis, wheres' the shooting from Darrell Davis?

turnovers and laziness by Scoochie..... where'd this come from?
Mad Props to Flyer 86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (12-13-2015)
Old 12-13-2015, 08:32 AM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
Their dribble-drives wore a path in the paint. Our effort was not there. I mean it was present, it was just not constructive.

KP was the only player that brought the fire on offense. We needed offensive efficiency. I can't blame KP. He wanted the ball. I didn't see want in anybody else's eyes. I saw complacency. I saw entitlement. I saw a willingness to let the game play down to the final seconds with not a worry, as if angels would swoop down to rescue this team from the rarity of a loss at home. Someone should've pointed out that this had trap game written all over it
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FLYER5 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-13-2015), T-Bone 84 (12-14-2015), UD62 (12-13-2015)
Old 12-13-2015, 10:28 AM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
For the most part the Flyers are young and have a lot of new pieces. Not too mention they're playing quite a different style than they did a year ago. However, nights like this juniors and seniors have to take over and lead.

Figure it out, go back to practice and work, do better next time.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:26 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, our free throw shooting was abysmal. Still, it was 15 seconds that really really hurt.

Flyers with 6 p0int lead in the second half- 46-40

9:03 - Mocs hit 3 pointer after Cook blocks a shot but Mocs get offensive rebound and nail a trey.

8:48- Mocs hit another 3 pointer after a Baby D turnover in the backcourt.

Scooch should have gone and got the ball instead of leaving it for DD to bring it up.

Instead of a 6 point lead and the ball, it is a tie game.

Ouch.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-14-2015), FLYER5 (12-14-2015), tlangs98 (12-14-2015), TrueTeam (12-15-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 01:47 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FLYER5 View Post
Their dribble-drives wore a path in the paint. Our effort was not there. I mean it was present, it was just not constructive.

KP was the only player that brought the fire on offense. We needed offensive efficiency. I can't blame KP. He wanted the ball. I didn't see want in anybody else's eyes. I saw complacency. I saw entitlement. I saw a willingness to let the game play down to the final seconds with not a worry, as if angels would swoop down to rescue this team from the rarity of a loss at home. Someone should've pointed out that this had trap game written all over it
I said somewhat the same thing in the "Top 25" thread, but your use of the word "entitlement" is spot-on. Whenever any recent UD team has gotten either into or within sniffing distance of the Top 25, they lose their edge, and they play as if they expect the other team to bow to the Flyers' greatness. It's as if they think "their feces has no aroma". And just like it's hard for parents to get through to their kids that they need to work hard to earn grades, get money, etc., I'm sure it's just as hard for Archie and his staff to convince every one of these 18-22 year olds that they have to work just as hard to "stay there" as they do to "get there".

But, hope springs eternal, does it not?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (12-16-2015), rollo (12-15-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 04:24 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
One thing I didn't like was after we went on our 13-2 run to start the second half and build a 6 point lead, Archie took out Scoochie and Steve. I know they can't play 40 minutes, but I would have left them in for another 2 or 3 minutes to try to build the lead up to 9 or 10 while we were on a roll. Instead, we seemed to lose our momentum and the lead went down to 3.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-15-2015), Marysville Flyer (12-16-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 08:08 PM
General

Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
One thing I didn't like was after we went on our 13-2 run to start the second half and build a 6 point lead, Archie took out Scoochie and Steve. I know they can't play 40 minutes, but I would have left them in for another 2 or 3 minutes to try to build the lead up to 9 or 10 while we were on a roll. Instead, we seemed to lose our momentum and the lead went down to 3.
AGREED. Turning point.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:03 PM

SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Scoochie played 34 minutes. Kendall 37 minutes, Cooke 35, McElevene 33 minutes. I know the players played a lot of minutes last year, but they came off a very hard fought road win 3 night before.

Archie needed to rest Scoochie at some point.

It seems as if the players were tired during the last 3 minutes. Normally, that is time the Archie's teams win the game.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (12-16-2015), Flyer 86 (12-16-2015)
Old 12-16-2015, 09:00 AM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Can't buy in to that. Arch looks down his inexperienced bench at pg and all he sees is turnovers. So he chooses to go with an obviously tired Scoochie. He's the one who sees the backup candidates at point guard in practice, and obviously it's not pretty. So he takes advantage of timeouts and fouls and hopes Scoochie can power through it in a very tense game. Can't fault him for that.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
oldfan (12-16-2015)
Old 12-16-2015, 09:15 AM

Thanked 15,875 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
When Darth Rollo was a coach and his players were tired, he slowed things down and used his timeouts wisely.
San Diego Flyer (12-16-2015)
Old 12-16-2015, 09:45 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

keats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond repute
Unfortunate timing .... all we had to do was get by Chattanooga, then the schedule allowed for Scoochie to get some rest. As well as some different rotations and managing minutes differently. Freshman better setup the next 3 games, as this is the time to show game is now. If no improvement, back to bench for league play.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:18 AM
General

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
Can't buy in to that. Arch looks down his inexperienced bench at pg and all he sees is turnovers. So he chooses to go with an obviously tired Scoochie. He's the one who sees the backup candidates at point guard in practice, and obviously it's not pretty. So he takes advantage of timeouts and fouls and hopes Scoochie can power through it in a very tense game. Can't fault him for that.
Can't he have DD or Kyle bring up the ball 3 or 4 times a half. This way Scooch can catch his breath.

You guys are totally right on this issue. JC is on big learning curve.... let's hand it off to Kyle for a little. Otherwise Scooch will be burned out by Feb 1st.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:19 AM
General

Hopefully with Furman, Miami, and weaker opponents Crosby can be some meaningful minutes that will build confidence, and Coach'es faith in him.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:25 AM
Brigadier General

forego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't get Time Warner and the streaming was blocked out, but I am enjoying what I've seen.

I don't think it is so bad that the rotations have not produced efficiently to this point. Archie exhibits great body language, which says to me he is confident of progress. Certainly there is an adjustment going from the virtual singular rotation of last year to the multi sequenced possibilities.

What? Is he and the others supposed to know what works well already?
Whatever, it may work out.. maybe not, but we have a good record and Archie's learning curve is premium.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:51 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer 86 View Post
Can't he have DD or Kyle bring up the ball 3 or 4 times a half. This way Scooch can catch his breath.

You guys are totally right on this issue. JC is on big learning curve.... let's hand it off to Kyle for a little. Otherwise Scooch will be burned out by Feb 1st.
They certainly can as they did last year, albeit, more out of necessity but, imho, it was the start of the downfall in shooting by DD last year..He had to play a decent amount of mpg at the PG which limited his development at SG.

Arch probably trying to stay away from that and, more so, since DD really has tailed off without playing PG minutes this year..Need to get DD back on track at the 2 and keep hoping that JC develops into that 8-9 mpg player...
Old 12-16-2015, 01:34 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer 86 View Post

They could do that, but IMO that is not where he is burning the energy unless the opponent is pressing on defense. He's burning the most calories playing Archie Miller defense. Bringing the ball up is but a tenth of his job. A lot of other tasks on his plate on both ends.

I'm certainly not alone by cringing when DD has the pg job even for one possession. Crosby is coming along but he's just a puppy. Kyle may provide the best relief, but he is usually glued to the best opposing guard.

Coach doesn't have easy options there.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:49 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
DD made the biggest turnover of the game when he threw the ball away trying to bring the ball up court against the press. Chattanooga then buried a three to tie the game. Momentum totally turned at that point.
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud69 (12-16-2015)
Old 12-16-2015, 03:29 PM
Captain

tlangs98 is just really nicetlangs98 is just really nicetlangs98 is just really nicetlangs98 is just really nice
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
DD made the biggest turnover of the game when he threw the ball away trying to bring the ball up court against the press. Chattanooga then buried a three to tie the game. Momentum totally turned at that point.
Scoochie was in the game and for some reason DD was bringing it up.
Mad Props to tlangs98 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud69 (12-16-2015)
Old 12-16-2015, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by tlangs98 View Post
Scoochie was in the game and for some reason DD was bringing it up.
Chattanooga was full court pressing. Archie pulled Darrell right after that play.

That turned momentum, but the team played poorly in the first half and down the stretch too.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:21 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
It was a 2 point game. There was no shortage of plays that could have been the difference.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bob G (12-17-2015), CJ43 (12-16-2015)