UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball > Archived Seasonal Match Threads > 2018 Match Threads

2018 Match Threads Discussion specific to game day and in-game opponents on the schedule.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 09-22-2018, 03:59 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,407 Times in 2,482 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
GW Match

After beating SLU in their home opener, in front of a pretty big home crowd, UD better be ready to face a team looking for a big-time upset. Senior leadership needs to make sure everyone is ready to go.
Advertisement
Old 09-22-2018, 05:13 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
GW is fired up and lead 9-4. Oursets are becoming way too predictable. Not sure why. We’ve had a ton double calls this year so I wonder if the setters have changed their hands and it’s telling the block where to set up??? I wish I knew more about the setter hands.

2 Aces by Bruns helps 7-9 GW.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:20 PM

Our first lead 17-16. Then a service error. 17-17
Old 09-22-2018, 05:32 PM

Finally UD win 28-26. GW fought off 4 UD set points when they had 22, 23, 24 and 25 points, but UD won the 5th one.

The person who is swinging well today is Brooke. I haven’t looked at stats but she is swinging with authority. Good to see. I also saw Mikaylah full dressed out on the sidelines and Jordan got in late to serve.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:42 PM

5-0 run by GW until Brooke gets a kill. Flyers up 11-8. Now 11-9.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:53 PM

21-19 GW after Dayton has lead most of the set. We were up 4 for awhile.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:03 PM

GWas set2 at 24-26. We have....yes count them......9 service errors in this match. I’m not convinced our serve is helping us. Yes we occasionally serve up Aces. But all teams do. And we have to serve aggressively to keep teams out of system. But I don’t think we’ve found the right balance yet. We are 6th in the a10 in Aces per set. We’ve played a lot tougher teams, so we will see how it plays out.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:21 PM

TO UD with GW up 18-16. Too many mistakes. Need to learn to get it to a higher gear. Seniors need to lead them there. We didn’t play as well last week as we did at Pitt. And we haven’t played well this weekend at all so far.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:23 PM

TO GW. UD up 19-18.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:28 PM

23-21 UD. We are in a dog fight. Need to close out this set.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:32 PM

25-22 UD. Whew. Now come out and bury this team. We can not get into the habit of playing down to competition and I think we have done some of that this weekend. VCU and Davidson hope we play like this next weekend. Turn it back up and put this away.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:47 PM

UD up 14-10. Papesh and Bruns seem to have figured out GWs block. Bruns was getting stuffed earlier in the match. Brooke has her second triple double.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:52 PM

18-16 UD. But GW on a run so TH calls a timeout.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:56 PM

UD 23-18. Finish it.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:01 PM

Congrats to Brooke on her send triple double. Very likely she will set the record for this stat - maybe even this year. Certainly during her career.

Stat of the match...we had 16 service errors. That’s 4 points per set we gave away before anyone touched the ball.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:45 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,160 Times in 5,119 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
I have an even better stat: GW beat us in the second set by hitting .000. I literally cannot remember an opponent ever winning a set on Dayton hitting .000 or worse. I wonder how many times thats happened in D-I volleyball this year?

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
"Yeah....220, 221, whatever it takes." - Jack Butler (Mr. Mom)
Old 09-23-2018, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
I have an even better stat: GW beat us in the second set by hitting .000. I literally cannot remember an opponent ever winning a set on Dayton hitting .000 or worse. I wonder how many times thats happened in D-I volleyball this year?
My bet is zero. Both nights we committed so many errors. At one point after a service error the camera angle showed the bench in the background and TH was sitting with his head down. I have a pretty high level of tolerance for service error because you have to serve aggressively or the good teams will always be in system and you won’t win that match. A lot of fans don’t understand that part of the game. But we seem to be beyond thatbalance. Early in the year most serves we’re going Long. Lately we have been trying to serve short so we’ve netted the ball. You’re going to have some service errors, but I think everyone knows 16 in a 4 set match is way too many.

I’m also concerned about the number of blocks both GM and GW put up against us. These are not good blocking teams so how the heck did they have good blocking nights against the Flyers? Is our offense getting too predictable? Have our setters changed their setting techniques to cut down on the number of doubles? We were being called for a ton of doubles earlier in the year. Has that made it easier for the blockers to know where the setters are going? And of course with only Bruns available to hit out of the backrow for a half rotation,it makes it easier to know where the set is going. If Mikaylah can get healthy, we might be able to add the backrow attack for an additional 3 rotations. We also aren’t great at back-setting. I like we have run slide to the middle of the court both from the right and left pins. That helps mix things up and crosses hitters which makes it harder for the blockers. But we need to work on back sets and find a backrow attacker. VCU is a very good blocking team. This could be an issue sooner rather than later.

Finally, our block doesnt seem to be getting penetrated over the net. We have also been called for a bunch of net violations this year. I have no idea, but wonder if we are trying to clean those up and thus aren’t reaching over as much on the block. Early in the year we were getting more-better block touches. I should point out it’s sometimes hard to block well against weaker teams. You tend to have less blockable attacks. I didn’t really see that this weekend. It was more our block is still a work in progress. Not as many net violations, but not as many blocks either. I’m not sure where the balance should be. We also miss Amelia’s blocking skills.