UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 02-16-2014, 09:29 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Sid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant future
Interesting Stat Lines

Former Flyer Ralph Hill barely saw any playing time earlier this year for Oakland. It appeared he would get a couple of minutes of mop up time in blowouts and didn't even get into close games. All of a sudden it appears he is a starting forward (at least the way the box score is composed). At any rate, Friday night he scored 17 points in 11 minutes of playing time and today, in a one point loss to WSU, he scored 15 points in 20 minutes. Strange development.

Another interesting story involves our old friend Jim Baron. He is now coaching at Canisius and of course has one of his endless string of sons (Billy) playing guard on his team. Friday night the kid played 38 out of 40 minutes and scored 34 points including 10 of 16 from the field and 11 of 14 from the foul line. Today he played all 55 minutes of a three overtime game and scored 40 points including 18 of 19 from the foul line, 10 rebounds, 2 steals, and 5 assists.

A glance at his stat line for the year shows he leads the team in scoring (25 ppg), shoots 47% from the field, 43% from the three, 90% from the line, is third on the team in rebounding, averages 5 assists per game, and leads the team in steals. He has one flaw -- he leads the team in TOs with 80 but he averages 39 minutes per game so that's only 3 TOs per game.

Can you imagine what he would have done to the Flyers the last couple of years if the Baron family was still at URI?
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2014, 11:50 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sid Louick View Post
Former Flyer Ralph Hill barely saw any playing time earlier this year for Oakland. It appeared he would get a couple of minutes of mop up time in blowouts and didn't even get into close games. All of a sudden it appears he is a starting forward (at least the way the box score is composed). At any rate, Friday night he scored 17 points in 11 minutes of playing time and today, in a one point loss to WSU, he scored 15 points in 20 minutes. Strange development.

Another interesting story involves our old friend Jim Baron. He is now coaching at Canisius and of course has one of his endless string of sons (Billy) playing guard on his team. Friday night the kid played 38 out of 40 minutes and scored 34 points including 10 of 16 from the field and 11 of 14 from the foul line. Today he played all 55 minutes of a three overtime game and scored 40 points including 18 of 19 from the foul line, 10 rebounds, 2 steals, and 5 assists.

A glance at his stat line for the year shows he leads the team in scoring (25 ppg), shoots 47% from the field, 43% from the three, 90% from the line, is third on the team in rebounding, averages 5 assists per game, and leads the team in steals. He has one flaw -- he leads the team in TOs with 80 but he averages 39 minutes per game so that's only 3 TOs per game.

Can you imagine what he would have done to the Flyers the last couple of years if the Baron family was still at URI?
I don't even want to think about it.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:24 AM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
The guy that was starting ahead of Ralph got injured, thus his increase in playing time. I saw most of that game on TV and Ralph played very well.... until about 1/3 of the way into the second half. He took a 3 pointer, that seemed to be in the flow of the offense, and the coach sat him the rest of the game. They got a guy that just broke JJ Redick's 3 point record for 3 pointers made. It is almost like watching old Miss with that Henderson guy. The kid can shoot, but not much team ball going on there. Maybe that is why Ralph got benched... he took a 3 pointer away from the star.
Speaking of stars.... Baron's numbers are impressive, but Canisius is quite a step back from the A10 and IIRC he started his carrer at Virginia..... talk about a big fish in a little pond......
Old 02-17-2014, 08:38 AM

Thanked 4,603 Times in 2,849 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
As I read this thread,...

...I'm not thinking about Baron's kids...I'm thinking about Jim Baron the coach.

When UD was looking for a BG replacement Baron was 57 years old, had extensive experience with the A10 (to say the least), had been a head coach for many years....and was winding down at URI.

Baron knew UD like the back of his hand...his teams gave UD fits.

Baron never had the kind of resources that UD program offers...I'll bet he would have been interested in our job. I wonder if TW ever considered JB.

Too late....but just thinking.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:24 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
...I'm not thinking about Baron's kids...I'm thinking about Jim Baron the coach.

When UD was looking for a BG replacement Baron was 57 years old, had extensive experience with the A10 (to say the least), had been a head coach for many years....and was winding down at URI.

Baron knew UD like the back of his hand...his teams gave UD fits.

Baron never had the kind of resources that UD program offers...I'll bet he would have been interested in our job. I wonder if TW ever considered JB.

Too late....but just thinking.
Hire a coach who was fired from another school in the A10 because he had UD's number? No Thanks.
Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
westchesterflyer (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 12:42 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,043 Times in 451 Posts
Whacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond repute
Baron had the exact same problem BG had. Set the non-con on fire and then self-immolate during conference play.
Mad Props to Whacker For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 01:57 PM

Sid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by TerryK_67 View Post
The guy that was starting ahead of Ralph got injured, thus his increase in playing time. I saw most of that game on TV and Ralph played very well.... until about 1/3 of the way into the second half. He took a 3 pointer, that seemed to be in the flow of the offense, and the coach sat him the rest of the game. They got a guy that just broke JJ Redick's 3 point record for 3 pointers made. It is almost like watching old Miss with that Henderson guy. The kid can shoot, but not much team ball going on there. Maybe that is why Ralph got benched... he took a 3 pointer away from the star.
Speaking of stars.... Baron's numbers are impressive, but Canisius is quite a step back from the A10 and IIRC he started his carrer at Virginia..... talk about a big fish in a little pond......
I would take that fish in my pond any day.