UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-10-2008, 06:30 PM

John R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud of
Angry LW Will not play and will sit out

THE Gannon game with a sore ankle
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2008, 06:36 PM

ClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these parts
Looks like Lowery will start sooner than later.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:41 PM

AFflyer has a little shameless behaviour in the past
find out what Lowery and thomas can do
Old 11-10-2008, 06:54 PM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by John R View Post
Where did you hear this?
Old 11-10-2008, 07:00 PM

John R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by NorthwestFlyer View Post
Where did you hear this?
On WHIO TV
Old 11-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Certainly doesn't make sense to play an exhibition if he is hurting. Perhaps a few days and he will be back to 100%.

So that means we will see a bit more of what Thomas can do and if Lowery can play at an elevated rate for 20+ minutes. If the PGs can't push it all game, then the whole team slows down. It will be interesting to see how it affects us.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,196 Times in 584 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
I hope the injury isn't serious and doesn't keep the "Jet" on the bench too long.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:56 PM
1st Lieutenant

PinehurstFlyer will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by NorthwestFlyer View Post
Certainly doesn't make sense to play an exhibition if he is hurting. Perhaps a few days and he will be back to 100%.

Well, that's how I felt when he injured the ankle. Then, if i am not mistaking LW for Lowery, he came back into the game against Capital. I hate to question the coaches, trainers and all, but it was just an exhibition and anyone could see he fell on the ankle pretty hard. Anyway, I hope he is back soon.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:52 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

NYCFLYER is just really niceNYCFLYER is just really niceNYCFLYER is just really niceNYCFLYER is just really niceNYCFLYER is just really nice
I was there and I could be mistaken also but I don't think LW came back.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:21 PM
Colonel

lilrudy4787 will become famous soon enough
sore ankle are never good in basketball, especially to a person like LW which relies on his cutting ability and ability to run. Take some time off while the schedule is easy and get back on ur feet.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Major

LebronJames is a glorious beacon of lightLebronJames is a glorious beacon of lightLebronJames is a glorious beacon of lightLebronJames is a glorious beacon of lightLebronJames is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by John R View Post
LW Will not play and will sit out
Why are you posting negative news about a current or former player?
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to LebronJames For This Totally Excellent Post:
AFflyer (11-10-2008), Browns (11-11-2008), ClearTheRunwayForWLJ (11-11-2008), Gazoo (11-11-2008), IAFlyer (11-11-2008), JoeFlyer (11-11-2008), UD Sam (11-11-2008)
Old 11-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
While I am not happy that LW is hurt, I do want to see more of Stephen Thomas. I know the kid isn't going to make any highlight films, but he is steady and gets the ball to the open man. Seems to me he can hit the open j when he has to, and he seems to have nice stroke from the line. He could be the difference in a game or two this year.
Mad Props to bobber For This Totally Excellent Post:
John R (11-11-2008)
Old 11-10-2008, 10:55 PM
General

Thanked 4,887 Times in 2,252 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
I remember he went down late in the Capital game holding his ankle. As one who has sprained his ankle too many times to remember, London needs rest, more rest, and still more rest. If he tries to come back too soon, it will hamper him all season.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:30 AM
Major

TheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to behold
Doesn't seem like any big deal, precautionary more than anything. It will be a great opportunity to get RL and ST some pt at PG. I'd like to see Thomas at PG and the Flyers go big and run a half court set sometime in the game. Something like:

PG: Stephen Thomas 6'1"
SG: Marcus Johnson 6'3"
SF: Chris Wright 6'8"
PF: Devin Searcy 6'10"
C: Kurt Huelsman 6'10"

The key to going big like that will be Thomas and MJ being willing to take the open 3 and hit it if the defense collapses inside, and for CW to continue attempting some 3's. Maybe even put in Chris Johnson at the 2 and get 6'5" at that spot. I'd just like to see how a big Dayton lineup would go to give a change of pace throughout the year. A lineup that can milk the clock but still score effectively when UD is up in the 2nd half of games this year.
Mad Props to TheDuke2003 For This Totally Excellent Post:
John R (11-11-2008)
Old 11-11-2008, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by LebronJames View Post
Why are you posting negative news about a current or former player?
Why is this negative?

It gives LW time to rest and gives other players more playing time.

It lets BG see how the team plays when he is not in there for what ever reason.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by bobber View Post
While I am not happy that LW is hurt, I do want to see more of Stephen Thomas. I know the kid isn't going to make any highlight films, but he is steady and gets the ball to the open man. Seems to me he can hit the open j when he has to, and he seems to have nice stroke from the line. He could be the difference in a game or two this year.
I guess LeBronJames, AFlyer, and JoeFlyer are not smart enough to figure that out.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by TheDuke2003 View Post
Doesn't seem like any big deal, precautionary more than anything. It will be a great opportunity to get RL and ST some pt at PG. I'd like to see Thomas at PG and the Flyers go big and run a half court set sometime in the game. Something like:

The key to going big like that will be Thomas and MJ being willing to take the open 3 and hit it if the defense collapses inside, and for CW to continue attempting some 3's. Maybe even put in Chris Johnson at the 2 and get 6'5" at that spot. I'd just like to see how a big Dayton lineup would go to give a change of pace throughout the year. A lineup that can milk the clock but still score effectively when UD is up in the 2nd half of games this year.
Yes great post its something LeBronLames.AFlyer,and JoeFlyer need to know.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:38 AM
1st Lieutenant

Beerman is on a distinguished road
Stephen Thomas seems to lack the speed that BG wants to play at this season. Who knows, maybe getting some time in now will pick that up a little
Old 11-11-2008, 09:46 AM
General

Thanked 5,455 Times in 2,384 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
I don't get sprained ankles at this level. I sprained my ankle so many times in HS that the doctors said I'll never have more than 70% strength. Then I discovered the lace-up braces (fine time for it). I've never sprained an ankle again, and it does not hamper my mobility at all.

Simple, effective, cheap. . . why doesn't everyone wear these?

THirt, is there a medical downside? I know that bracing one area transfers the energy to another joint, but these things only do anything at the extreme--levels where you would hurt an ankle.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Colonel

daytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant future
i see why everyone wants to see more of thomas, lowery, etc....but it is never good for your starting PG to go down even if its just for a little.

it hurts continuity. once people start getting used to the other two LW will be back and it opens even wider the "quarterback controversy."

as long as its just for this game, it should be fine. any more than that and it will add a snag to the season that we dont need and cant afford.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,503 Times in 4,705 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Some wise guy once said, "It's fans and sportswriters that start and cultivate team controversies for the most part".

This Coach, these Players, this Team seem to like, know, and embrace their jobs and their roles. I see nothing bad for the team coming out of this unfortunate injury. LW will be back stronger than ever.

I don't think RL is dying to start the season without London, or vice versa, and Thomas seems supportive of both.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:20 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
I don't get sprained ankles at this level. I sprained my ankle so many times in HS that the doctors said I'll never have more than 70% strength. Then I discovered the lace-up braces (fine time for it). I've never sprained an ankle again, and it does not hamper my mobility at all.

Simple, effective, cheap. . . why doesn't everyone wear these?

THirt, is there a medical downside? I know that bracing one area transfers the energy to another joint, but these things only do anything at the extreme--levels where you would hurt an ankle.
The only real downside to the braces is that they limit your range of motion some. I looked at the game pics and I can't tell for sure if LW wears them, but at least he's got them pretty heavily taped.

You're right that once you sprain an ankle a couple times, it never heals to 100%; there's always going to be some leftover laxity in the ligaments.

Once you get used to the braces, they are not bad. I think most of the team does wear them. Big men especially pretty much always wear the braces. But your shoes don't fit quite right and they can hamper the flexibility at the ankle. Important for a jet-quick PG, not as important for a big guy doing a drop-step move.

I think it's wise to sit out London. We know what he can do - let him heal up and be closer to 100% for the season.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Major

Iguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to behold
I think everyone on the team wears the braces except for the PGs. In this picture, you can see the only players not wearing the braces are London Warren and Stephen Thomas.

3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Iguomaniac For This Totally Excellent Post:
Beerman (11-11-2008), Gazoo (11-11-2008), IAFlyer (11-11-2008)
Old 11-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Colonel

Gilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TheDuke2003 View Post

I was surprised to see Stephen Thomas a full 2 inches shorter than London Warren at the Red Blue game. He is 5'10 soaking wet.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:49 PM

ClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these parts
Those braces were the first thing I looked for on CW at the opening tip.

He did not wear them last year until after his injury, just plain stupidity.

They work, I broke, twisted my ankle and tore the tendons in my foot coming down with a rebound on someone's foot in an intramural game my Sophomore year, I wasn't wearing a brace. I wear those braces everywhere now and I never have had a twist again, and when I do land awkwardly the brace protects it. Plus it gives you a mental edge that you are protected, which is the key.

When I get up as high as I do, I need all the protection I can get!