User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 07-21-2008, 01:16 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Biggest Fears Heading Into Next Season

I thought it would be interesting to ask this question prior to the Red/Blue game. I often form some strong opinions after having a chance to watch the players.

My top four concerns

1) Point guard play. We need one or more players to run the offense and also to push the ball on the fast break. We also need one or more point guards to knock down some jump shots if the other team dares him to shoot.

2) Running the offense. This team is made up of slashers who are made for this offense. They must take the opportunity to go to the basket or put the ball on the floor and create opportunities for others when the openings occur. I thought Marcus and Chris both did a good job of this toward the end of last season and this area needs to continue to improve.

3) Killer Instinct. I cannot remember the last time UD had a team that could grab a game by the throat (to use an OP term) whenever it needed to. This team will not make the tournament unless they play consistently game to game and put the pressure on teams they are supposed to beat.

4) Outside Shooting. We have lots of unknowns here. There is Mickey who is supposed to be a deadly shooter and didn't prove it last season. There are three freshmen with good strokes who should really help out but they are also unproven. There is a juco transfer who is supposed to be a very good three point shooter. If two of those five provide good outside shooting numbers we are in good shape, if more than two we should do well.
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Key Injuries.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Colonel

smitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond repute
The flu.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:26 PM
1st Lieutenant

bosoxrule is an unknown quantity at this point
Road games
Old 07-21-2008, 02:28 PM

Thanked 15,910 Times in 6,994 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Free Throws, too.

Roberts and Wright were our only player last season with any guts. Any game that was close exposed the cowardness of Binnie, Little etc... as all they wanted to do was (a) avoid getting the ball or (b) upon reluctantly receiving the ball, trying to get it back to Roberts ASAP. I'm not sure this is going to change except in '08-09 it'll be Johnson and Wright watching everyone else running for the hills.

What I would most like to see is the development of a low post game for Huelsman, Searcy and Benson. It would be nice to be able to get the ball down low for a high percentage shot in order to pad a lead, keep the score close or stop a run by our opponents. Finn, Nate Green, Waleskowski etc... were great at getting points when we absolutely needed them. Last year it was all Roberts, all the time. The lack of an inside game combined with unproven outside shooters, gutless upperclassmen and poor FT shooting spells trouble.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:00 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,020 Times in 479 Posts
Flyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant future
I don't think we've had a decent low post threat since BG's first year. The development of our big men has left much to be desired. KH has become a good defender, but he needs to make that jump to becoming a solid low post threat on offense. And once he does, our team needs to recognize it and get him the ball more. He showed flashes of it last year. Let's hope he grows even more this year.

But with that comes the problem of foul shooting. If KH gets better down low on offense, you can bet he'll be fouled more. And he has been less than stellar from the line too.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:18 PM
1st Lieutenant

Spuds will become famous soon enoughSpuds will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Flyer'95 View Post
I don't think we've had a decent low post threat since BG's first year. The development of our big men has left much to be desired. KH has become a good defender, but he needs to make that jump to becoming a solid low post threat on offense. And once he does, our team needs to recognize it and get him the ball more. He showed flashes of it last year. Let's hope he grows even more this year.

But with that comes the problem of foul shooting. If KH gets better down low on offense, you can bet he'll be fouled more. And he has been less than stellar from the line too.
Yeah, and maybe he should dunk the basketball once in awhile, for a high percentage shot. Or maybe take it to the basket with authority. He looks more like a school girl delivering girl scout cookies. Take it to the hole young fella! He is like 6'11 and can't dunk, that's pathetic! Even BR could dunk. But going back to the topic of discussion, my main concerns is "who is going to be BR?" Who is going to be the leader, the "floor-general?" Free-throw shooting was atrocious last year, outside shooting, and preventing costly turnovers. If we can work on "fundamentails" this summer, we should be just fine!!!!!

GO FLYERS!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Spuds; 07-21-2008 at 04:21 PM..
Old 07-21-2008, 04:33 PM
Colonel

lilrudy4787 will become famous soon enough
its gotta be pg play followed by injuries. we need a good solid point to have a good season. i dont care whether its LW or ST or RL. Second, we need to keep our players healthy and in shape.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Colonel

udstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by lilrudy4787 View Post
its gotta be pg play followed by injuries. we need a good solid point to have a good season. i dont care whether its LW or ST or RL. Second, we need to keep our players healthy and in shape.
u should be their trainer
Old 07-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,595 Times in 5,091 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer'95 View Post

I watched the Rhode Island home game free rerun on the CSTV website a few days ago. The announcers kept reiterating what a good season KH had up that game. (Something like 5 or 6 10+ pt games) He scored 10 in that one also. They went as far as to call him the unsung hero of the season up until that point. I still think he is the unsung hero. That is also the game where CW broke his ankle. He played a good minute after he did that which is amazing to me. When CW was out, followed quickly by Little's broke foot bone, our offense suffered dramatically, and it became harder for everyone on the floor to score, IMO. I think that clouds the vision of what KH can do. How many times can you recall KH missing that baby hook shot? We need to go to that often this year. He has a shooters touch from that range, and that shot allows him to hide his poor jumping ability and use his shoulders to clear space so he won't get blocked. Don't ask KH to dunk. Ask him to shield the defender using his big body and make the lay-up.

Last edited by Fudd; 07-21-2008 at 05:33 PM..
Old 07-21-2008, 05:27 PM

Thanked 9,813 Times in 4,074 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
1. PG play, consistency...talent is there some of the time
2. Post play, consistency...talent is there some of the time
3. Intestinal fortitude and nads on the road
4. schedule...the schedule leaves no room for error. You win when you are supposed to, it looks like a genius move....you blow any cupcakes or fumble the "for sure" conference wins, we will be complaining about the schedule this time next year.

This team and program are on the cusp of good things. When we are in the position we are in, you can't afford to give anything away. Guys need to show up consistently, not a few games here and there. If the key positions can bring consistency, it enables the other consistent players that we tend to get at 3 and 4 spots to really tear things up. Without consistency at the 1 and 5, and without someone that steps up from the perimeter, it is tough for our most talented spots, the 3 and 4, to kick it in high gear and make the entire package come together.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:38 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,595 Times in 5,091 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
We will miss that big-time shot making ability of BRob when we are down by 3 with 20 seconds left. It's a little harder for a forward like CW to create on a drive when the other team is expecting the star to take the shot. BRob was a threat from everywhere, and that puts crazy pressure on the defense.

I hope that we actually have the offensive balance that I am expecting this year.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:45 PM
Colonel

udstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
We will miss that big-time shot making ability of BRob when we are down by 3 with 20 seconds left. It's a little harder for a forward like CW to create on a drive when the other team is expecting the star to take the shot. BRob was a threat from everywhere, and that puts crazy pressure on the defense.

I hope that we actually have the offensive balance that I am expecting this year.
no doubt that is true...but as b-rob had the ball for the last shot the rest of the team stood around, the offense should have more flow this season and hopefully more team basketball.

im mainly worried about injuries. cw and cl hopefully will stay healthy, if they go out, its not gonna be good
Old 07-21-2008, 06:50 PM
Major

Flyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
cowardness of Binnie, Little etc
gutless upperclassmen
They are kids xxxxx. If you are ever a father (not counting livestock) you wouldn't want your kids called names.
They didn't want to screw up so people wouldn't bash them. BRob was the man.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:59 PM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
If the powder blue uni's will come back for another round .... I keeeeed of course.

Just an opinion but I truly believe every season depends on the quality of the play at point. We're going to need a 3rd and 4th scoring option to make an appearance as well. If we can do that I think we can make some noise.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:07 PM

Thanked 15,910 Times in 6,994 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer2 View Post
They are kids xxxxx. If you are ever a father (not counting livestock) you wouldn't want your kids called names.
They didn't want to screw up so people wouldn't bash them. BRob was the man.
They're D1 athletes...at this point I doubt their egos are as fragile as yours or they would have quit back in 6th grade like most others....maybe even you. A little bashing or booing doesn't hurt their little feelings nearly as much as a parent might think.

If you can come up with a word that better described their last minute, on-court efforts, I'm listening. If not, maybe you need to read more.

Last edited by rollo; 07-21-2008 at 08:10 PM..
Old 07-21-2008, 08:26 PM
Major

Flyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
They're D1 athletes...at this point I doubt their egos are as fragile as yours or they would have quit back in 6th grade like most others....maybe even you. A little bashing or booing doesn't hurt their little feelings nearly as much as a parent might think.

If you can come up with a word that better described their last minute, on-court efforts, I'm listening. If not, maybe you need to read more.
choke
Old 07-22-2008, 07:40 PM
Colonel

Gilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud of
Biggest Concerns:

1. Chris Wright being healthy the whole year
2. General flow of offense - this one is on the coaching staff
3. Consistent 3-pt threat
4. A post-presence that can draw a double-team
5. Low margin of error with only 1-2 chances at quality wins in non-conference, and possibility of losses that can look bad in conference play.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:32 PM
Captain

skip69 is just really niceskip69 is just really niceskip69 is just really niceskip69 is just really nice
More to add

Some full court pressure on defense and use the speed and athleticism on offense by pushing the ball up court whenever the opportunity arises. LESS slow down half court offense.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:36 AM
Brigadier General

Jack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to all
any stupid sh1t, like players getting in trouble
Old 07-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Dirty Sanchez can only hope to improve
playing to the level of the competition at home non-conference
Old 07-25-2008, 01:42 PM
1st Lieutenant

DickB 309 has a spectacular aura aboutDickB 309 has a spectacular aura about
1. How quickly the new players can learn the system and get quality minutes.

2. How the NCAA selection committee perceives us and our schedule.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:48 PM
Major

FlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really nice
The return of the towel guy, Chris Wright's health, London's decisions, and beating GW, Richmond, Duquesne, St. Bonnie, and Fordham.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,736 Times in 1,010 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
One thing and one thing only: consistent point guard play......That is it.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:56 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
Steve nailed it. Get solid point play and the other things will take care of themselves. If we don't get solid point play....Oh Well.