UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Poll Results: Power 5 conference or better coach at mid-major?
Give me the mid-major with the great coach. We will win the conference or die trying 26 63.41%
Give me the P5, even if the coach is lesser quality. Quad 1 games baby 15 36.59%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2024, 05:26 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,439 Times in 669 Posts
CoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond repute
What is more important, coach or conference?

Would a mid-major basketball school fair better by getting a top of the line coach or getting into a top of the line conference?

On one hand, a top line coach can build a program that can compete for the auto-bid every year and in many years be there in the at large conversation.

On the other hand, by being in a top line P5 conference, you do not have to run the table in early Non-Con tournaments to build up the resume. Plently of Quad 1 games to go around. And we all know there is a bias towards a big conference team. Let's say for argument sakes that this coach is not as good as the one in the mid-major conference.

Pretty simple here. Just pick one. Or dont. Or move to the next thread.

GlenArchieBunker this is NOT for you so please do not reply or respond.
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2024, 05:32 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,335 Times in 709 Posts
Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
The goal is to compete for a championship rather than to simply get an auto bid. Better conference brings better competition and eventually a better coach. How many non-power conference schools have won a championship in the last 40 years.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2024, 05:42 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,395 Times in 712 Posts
Beatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond repute
How many football P5 and Big East Schools have won a National Championship in the same 40 years. Numerically a few, but percentage wise, not that many. UCONN, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, etal., over and over again. Louisville twice and Florida twice and VILLANOVA TWICE.

Last edited by Beatty Town Coach; 02-09-2024 at 05:46 PM..
Old 02-09-2024, 05:49 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,395 Times in 712 Posts
Beatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond repute
And there is no such thing as a so-called Mid-Major. That doesn't really exist.
Old 02-09-2024, 06:07 PM
1st Lieutenant

big jordan is a splendid one to beholdbig jordan is a splendid one to beholdbig jordan is a splendid one to beholdbig jordan is a splendid one to beholdbig jordan is a splendid one to beholdbig jordan is a splendid one to beholdbig jordan is a splendid one to behold
Coach. Been proven that a good coach can be perennial tourney team anywhere, and can play good opponents out of conference. The concern is that he leaves I suppose, but still, I’d choose Coach for this question

Also, agreed with Beatty. Power 5 never made sense, and certainly doesn’t exist anymore with Pac 12s demise. Is Gonzaga a mid major? Did xavier transition from mid-major when they joined the big east? If so, the best mid-major players from xavier in 2000-2010 would wipe the floor with the best “high major” players from xavier of last 10 years. Or perhaps, is the new big east mid major because they have creighton, xavier and butler?

Ha I hope we’re even able to have these arguments in a few years. The whole landscape could change drastically with how college sports are conducted, and it could be dark days indeed
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2024, 06:08 PM
Brigadier General

CoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Beatty Town Coach View Post
And there is no such thing as a so-called Mid-Major. That doesn't really exist.
I dont like the term either, but I think it just means a decent conference that can get multiple bids but not a P5 (A10, WCC, Valley, Mountain West, CUSA)

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2024...or-atlantic-10
Old 02-09-2024, 06:59 PM
Colonel

Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
It’s an interesting question and I agree being in a major conference presents a much better and faster opportunity, and let’s be clear that’s all it is, to get to the tourney, get exposure, get better players, etc…but it seems to me that only one of those things are things that a school can directly control. Also keep in mind that a lot of P5 teams don’t regularly make the tourney. More than from the mid majors to be sure but my point is you still have to win the games, granted you have more opportunities but much tougher competition.
Old 02-09-2024, 07:24 PM
Colonel

The Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant future
I say the coach. Especially in this day and age when the whole team transfers when there is a coaching change. There are a number of teams that can't seem to replicate the success they once had when a great coach leaves. I'm looking at you, Indiana. It will be interesting to see how Gonzaga does when Few retires.
Old 02-10-2024, 10:07 AM
General

Thanked 2,260 Times in 1,353 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Both!

Although AG is proving that if he can recruit the right players he the program can be NCAA tournament worthy in the A-10. A fourth place finish in a major conference results in about the same seeding.
Old 02-10-2024, 08:19 PM
General

Thanked 4,453 Times in 2,024 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone who thinks they know what the conference landscape will look like 8 or 10 years down the road is deluding themselves.

Jeff (02-11-2024)
Old 02-10-2024, 10:58 PM
General

Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
"Give me the P5, even if the coach is lesser quality. Quad 1 games baby"

Hello Xavier, hello NIT

Old 02-11-2024, 02:06 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,269 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Gem View Post
I say the coach. Especially in this day and age when the whole team transfers when there is a coaching change. There are a number of teams that can't seem to replicate the success they once had when a great coach leaves. I'm looking at you, Indiana. It will be interesting to see how Gonzaga does when Few retires.
You could also throw in DePaul, Georgetown, even Wichita State, even louisville seems to have lost the magic sauce.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:04 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,380 Times in 655 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Coaches can be replaced, conferences are more difficult.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:33 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,445 Times in 735 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Which of your two children do you love more?
Old 02-12-2024, 11:43 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by N2663R View Post
Which of your two children do you love more?
The one who will take me to the NCAAs with the highest level of consistency
Old 02-12-2024, 12:33 PM
Colonel

pmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond repute
I voted for the coach for now, but I have an odd feeling this answer may not be the same in a few years. The NCAA sports ecosystem is in a state of change, and I don't think any of it points to good things for those not in a power conference.
Old 02-12-2024, 01:03 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,391 Times in 1,059 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
I love AG but conference is forever so conference.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2024, 01:18 PM
Colonel

Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CoffeeCan View Post
The one who will take me to the NCAAs with the highest level of consistency
Neither of the choices you set up here are a guaranty for anything. Its also just an odd set up because I assume if you are invited to join a major conference you get to bring your coach with you. Like I said in my earlier post, the coach is the only one that the school get to control. So for me it is coach, because conference is matter of circumstance, coach is a matter of choice.

Last edited by Flyers98; 02-12-2024 at 01:22 PM..
Old 02-12-2024, 08:57 PM
General

Talking

Originally Posted by UDEE79 View Post
I love AG but conference is forever so conference.
Posted via Mobile Device

Conference is forever??? I don't think so!
BTW, I heard the PAC 12 is having a fire sale . . .

cj (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 08:22 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,868 Times in 2,612 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Two words: Gonzaga. DePaul.

I’ll take “Coach” for $1,000, Alex.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
cj (02-13-2024), Lifelong Flyer Fan (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 09:54 AM
Brigadier General

XU is probably the best to compare to UD, in size, location, private, no D1 football.

XU moved to the BE in the 2013-14 season
Since then, they have made the NCAAs in 6 out of 10 years
Coaches were Travis Steele and Chris Mack and Sean Miller

UD remained in the A10 during this time period
Since then, we have made the NCAAs in 5 out of 10 years
Coaches were Archie Miller and Anthony Grant

NCAA bids since 2013-2014 (excluding 2020):
BE - 47
A10 - 25

Since 2020-21 when the BE moved to 11 schools:
2021 4 bids
2022 6 bids
2023 5 bids
So the BE is averaging 5 bids out of 11 schools

Since 2020-2021
2021 2 bids
2022 2 bids
2023 1 bid
So the A10 is averaging 1.67 bids out of 15 schools
The A10 is guaranteed to get one bid so only 2 at-large in the past 3 years

Would UD have made more NCAAs in the BE? Not sure, but 5 out of 10 is pretty close to 6 out of 10. Negligible at best in this example.

Still, I think its a good question. Gonzaga and Depaul are outliers. I am thinking more about bubble teams...
Old 02-13-2024, 10:01 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,744 Times in 6,946 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
This isn't 1984...follow the money

The best coach in the best conference will fail miserably without the best NIL accounts.
cj (02-13-2024), CoffeeCan (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 10:11 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
The best coach in the best conference will fail miserably without the best NIL accounts.
Great point
Will be very interesting to see how it all shakes out in the upcoming seasons or how conferences continue to be realigned.

You have to have success to maximize NIL
What is the best way to have sustained success? Having a top line coach or being in a top line conference?
Old 02-13-2024, 10:31 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,335 Times in 709 Posts
Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Of course, that is hyperbole, but I think we can all agree that the best coach with the worst NIL pool will fail miserably.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2024, 10:54 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Hyde Park Flyer View Post
Of course, that is hyperbole, but I think we can all agree that the best coach with the worst NIL pool will fail miserably.
Posted via Mobile Device
As long as we are spitting truths, I think we can all agree that the team with the most points will win the game.