UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > STEVEN E. YUHAS MEMORIAL LOUNGE > Off-Topic Gibberish

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 04-13-2018, 09:24 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,706 Times in 1,093 Posts
Mich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Trump announces U.S. military strikes in Syria

Trump announces U.S. military strikes in Syria

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/04...-in-syria.html

Last edited by Mich Flyer; 04-15-2018 at 06:35 AM..
Advertisement
Old 04-13-2018, 09:52 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 11,223 Times in 3,328 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
This is a complicated issue for me.

1. I do not condone use of the military for foreign strikes without approval from Congress. You're either at war or you're not. Congress should decide these things and vote up or down because they themselves are accountable for their vote at the most localized level of politics.

2. If a nation state is gassing people - this is one of those humanitarian lines in the sand by which every moral objection must be made and stood strongly against. Talk isn't enough. You use gas, you are in for some shock and awe. When there is a red line drawn, you absolutely must back it up. That said, our intelligence community has gotten things wrong about as often as they get it right. But gas is a WMD just like a nuke. Same church different pew.

3. Syrians, Taliban, ISIS, ISIL, Afghans -- its a giant mess in that region. We try to eradicate one side of the mess in Assad and it just emboldens the other side which are not angels either. Russia is right in the middle of the conflict. They are a PITA, but also helpful at times. And then PITAs again.

4. Syria should have no gas to begin with. Obama personally guaranteed they gave it all up. We are paying a huge price for this political fumble of international weakness.

5. This region of the world has been in steady conflict for 2,000 years. Do we even have a long-term end-game? Im guessing this POTUS like all others before him does not and will not solve anything 5-10-25-50 years down the road. Perhaps thats the way its meant to be -- the neighbors in conflict must solve it themselves. Does our meddling help or hurt?

6. The British and French did not hesitate in the slightest to back up this show of force. That's actually uncommon -- more so with the French but Im surprised PM May was so fast to lend some lumber too. Its a real headscratcher as to why they were so much more eager this time. Trump's persuasion? Not sure I buy that. But, I cant rule it out either.

Overall I dont think the strike solves anything long-term but a short-term response was necessary and considering most countries are spineless wimps, it falls on the USA again to police the world of genocidal tyrants. If nothing else I do like that when we said we were going to do something, we followed through. And knowing a bunch of flights out of Syria by Assad jets along with a Russian presence got the heck out of dodge a cpl days ago tells me they didnt think we were bluffing either -- which is good. But where is Spain, Italy, Germany, Norway, Belgium, Netherlands, Portugal, Austria, Finland, etc in all of this? They all too busy tonight? Or they take no objection to gas? Deutschland -- any words of wisdom from you?

I just wish this stuff went through Congress the way its supposed to. The POTUS should never have this much military freedom unless Russians are literally swimming up on the North Carolina shores by complete surprise.

C. M. Rieman | Publisher | 937.361.4630 | Get the latest here:

3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
cj (04-14-2018), shocka43 (04-14-2018), Viperstick (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 10:31 PM
Captain

CJ2etc is a splendid one to beholdCJ2etc is a splendid one to beholdCJ2etc is a splendid one to beholdCJ2etc is a splendid one to beholdCJ2etc is a splendid one to beholdCJ2etc is a splendid one to beholdCJ2etc is a splendid one to behold
Flyer fan/Gulf war vet's thoughts:

1. Chlorine bombs are simplistic, easy to make and don't require a complex delivery system.
2. Assad isn't an idiot. We have announced now twice our intention to pull military presence out of Syria. Supposedly Assad's response has been to "gas children". I'm skeptical.
3. Unorganized opponents of Assad are losing. These people have zero morals. Best way to get military assistance in eradicating Assad forces/assets is to get US/Allied forces to help. Sacrificing a few kids/civilians is no consideration in that part of the world.
4. This isn't declaring war, it is considered a defensive military strike, which doesn't require congressional approval. I don't agree that that is correct constitutionally but requiring congressional approval for a limited military strike isn't realistic.
5. Who fills the vacuum if Assad is ousted? Didn't work out real well in Iraq, Libya, etc.
6. We will never bomb civilians/anyone into liking us.

War sucks. Nights like this make me remember too sharply the nights the ground shook violently while we bombed Iraq. No matter how you feel you have to have some compassion for the common soldier who serves because he has no choice and finds himself in the wrong place geographically. Most of them are like us, just born in a different part of the world. I feel for them.
Mad Props to CJ2etc For This Totally Excellent Post:
Viperstick (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 10:44 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,640 Times in 1,085 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
The President must get Congressional approval before attacking Syria-big mistake if he does not!

Donald J. Trump
4:02 PM - 30 Aug 2013
Old 04-13-2018, 11:40 PM

Thanked 3,757 Times in 2,277 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Not realistic

Originally Posted by NCkevi View Post
The President must get Congressional approval before attacking Syria-big mistake if he does not!

Donald J. Trump
4:02 PM - 30 Aug 2013
Congress could/would not get it's act together in a reasonable time unless the U.S. was attacked directly somehow. Absent that it's up to the president.

Isn't there a law(s) enabling the President to act independently for up to 30 days, 60 days,...something like that,.... after which he has to get congressional approval?

If you're going to act like this it's important, I think, to do something more than symbolic. Cruise missiles do little good unless they hit a meaningful target directly. And at about $1 million a piece the target should have significant value. I was pleased to hear B1s were involved. A single B1 carries an incredible bomb load....equivalent to a very large number of cruise missiles and the bombs are cheap in comparison.

We'll know more tomorrow.

PS Chris mentioned a large number of other countries that did not participate. I don't think they can. Only the U.S., U.K. and France has any sort of capability to do something like this.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:08 AM

Thanked 4,351 Times in 1,929 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
You mean there is a line in the sand that really means something? I am shocked I tell you - really shocked. This is not something we have seen in the not to distant past.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:28 AM

Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,184 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Do we know who is responsible for the gassing?

If we are not 100% sure who is responsible, are we 50% or 75% sure? Or are we just totally guessing?
Old 04-14-2018, 12:40 AM

Thanked 3,628 Times in 1,851 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe we are just gassing.

If we wait for Congress it won't happen in time to save the children....congress can't agree on anything and right now if Congress backed the president on this it would be contrary to the left agenda.

Can't show support for this president no matter the issues or consequences.
Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 12:47 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,165 Times in 932 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Viperstick View Post
Originally Posted by College B-Ball Fan
Let Putin spend what little rubles he has, send his fighters and troops to the middle east (like he watched Russia do previously in Afghanistan) and then look for a way out-----just as the Russian's eventually did in Afghanistan!

Does anyone really think that Syria (as anyone knows it...) survives the Assad, Isil, etc carnage? Go for it Vlad........

We all knew Assad was our enemy right? Why should America be the only country to have all the "fun" in the middle east-------for naught!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are much deeper geopolitical issues at play here than what you lay out.

1) This isn't another Afghanistan incursion. Afghanistan was a nation where the Soviet Union came in and overthrew the legitimate government and installed a puppet regime; Russia is supporting a sitting dictator who has arguably held his own against an insurgency for over four years. Afghanistan was a landlocked country whose challenging topography facilitated an effective counterinsurgency that effectively strangled the Soviet forces; Syria is a coastal nation where Russia will not have to worry as much (if at all) about protecting supply lines and, much like Iraq, it will be much easier to target enemy forces from the air. Most importantly, the Soviets faced a US proxy foe in the form of the mujahadeen; the Russians face no such opponent in Syria (unless Obama grows a pair and green lights Syrian rebel attacks on Russian forces, which I seriously doubt since he's already turned his back on the Ukrainians). Comparing this current Russian intervention to Afghanistan ignores historical and military facts.

2) Putin is indeed spending his rubles very wisely in repudiating over a half century of American Middle East foreign policy. American foreign policy in the Middle East has sought to keep peace through alignment with (a) strong regional power(s) and limiting the rise of hostile regional powers. Flush from his victory in the Crimea where he embarrassed Obama and showed the world Zero's impotence, Putin has decided to expand his geopolitical offensive. Putin has used American inability to rout ISIS as the pretext for going into Syria. However, as today's events show, he's really interested in 1) supporting the Assad regime against rebel forces we support; and 2) showing the world that Russia can dictate to the United States and force American acquiescence to Russian desires. Russia is skillfully ingratiating itself with Iran through this support of Assad, its support of the Iran nuclear deal, and its willingness to sell high end weaponry to the Iranian regime. In doing so, Russia is positioning itself as the overseer of the soon-to-be strongest regional power in the Middle East. This would provide Russia (and Putin) with much sought after international legitimacy & prestige and would provide other Middle Eastern states pause as they ponder their future security agreements with the United States. Before you say it would make no sense for the UAE/Qatar/Kuwait/Saudi to look to Russia, consider that the US has effectively played both sides of the India/Pakistan, Turkey/Greece, UAE/Saudi, Israel/Gulf States relationships. No, Putin is spending his rubles very wisely IMHO.

3) Our friends are watching this with trepidation; our enemies are salivating. The world knows Obama is weak and pontificates without taking real action. Friends will reevaluate whether they can count on us when the schise hits the fan and adversaries will look for opportunities to challenge the US. China in the South China Sea? Already in progress. North Korea pressing for more money? On its way. What's next? Guaranteed we'll see more challenges in the next 16 months.

No, this is a big deal.
Resurrected this from late 2015.

The real world is a hard, unforgiving place. Our past three presidents have really fornicated the canine with respect to foresight and truly understanding both the need for, and the limits of, American hard power. Their collective incompetence will lead to more challenges in the future.

I am ambivalent about this latest strike against Syria. While I agree Congress should authorize military force (their frickin' Constitutional job), I'm more concerned about where this resides in the spectrum of protecting vital US interests.

The gas attacks were reprehensible and needed a response. That's supposed to be a UN function. Ah, but therein lies the big problem with the UN--Russia/China have veto power over any actions deemed threatening to their interests (many of which are just pure evil). This just further validates my belief that several acres of prime New York real estate along the East River could be better purposed as landfill, toxic waste dump, or open sewer than its current tenant.

We pretty much ignored Saddam's periodic gassing of the Kurds. We yawned while the Hutus played Hannibal Lecter against the Tutsis. As a nation, we were sitting in the corner in a Post-Vietnam fetal position while Pol Pot liquidated anyone in his nation who could spell. What raises Syria to the level of vital national interest?

Then, I'm reminded of what I wrote to CBBF nearly three years ago. Russia saw an opportunity borne of the fecklessness of the Obama worldview and associated foreign policy. So too, Iran, North Korea, and China similarly saw an opportunity to walk their respective balls into the end zone and conduct a 15-yard penalty celebration. This will continue and accelerate unless we do something to change the calculus. That's just the way a hard, unforgiving world works.

Was this a good idea? I don't know. I hope the Russian threats leading up to this were just bluster. Their SA-21s apparently didn't shoot down any Tomahawks, B-1s, or Tornadoes. Similarly, the USS Donald Cook is still afloat in the Med. My guess is this was a message, a carefully choreographed message, but a message nonetheless. I hope that message has its desired effect in this hard, unforgiving world.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Viperstick For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (04-14-2018), JimBo (04-14-2018), shocka43 (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 06:40 AM

Thanked 6,972 Times in 2,968 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Good posts. No need for congressional approval for targeted strikes. This isn't an act of war as it is a strike.

As much as I have tried to polish up on the Syrian conflict, it is a convoluted mess and confusing for many American's trying to digest everything. The biggest takeaway that the American people need to run with is how botched previous administrations were and how weak their words and efforts were. We are now forced to take military action that may not fix anything long term, but sets Syria back by destroying resources. We are also forced to take military action to show that the current administration's words account for something.

We can't afford another 2 decades of weak foreign policy as it creates the need for future administrations to pick up the slack that the others didn't have the guts to handle.
JimBo (04-14-2018), Mich Flyer (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 09:30 AM
Staff Writer

Thanked 4,134 Times in 1,568 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

A perfectly executed strike last night. Thank you to France and the United Kingdom for their wisdom and the power of their fine Military. Could not have had a better result. Mission Accomplished!

If we know anything about Donald Trump it is that he is not a student of history, which is readlily apparent by his misguided us of this Bush II term:

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/04/nev...ched-iraq-war/
Old 04-14-2018, 09:49 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 4,781 Times in 1,901 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Get a life swampy

Last nights mission was accomplished.
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
longtimefan (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 10:24 AM

Thanked 5,665 Times in 3,224 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Do we know who is responsible for the gassing?

If we are not 100% sure who is responsible, are we 50% or 75% sure? Or are we just totally guessing?
It has been on the news all week that we are sure it is Assad. France came out mid week and said they were certain. That is what happens when the media mucks up the important stuff with all their personality garbage and Russia fetish, important stuff gets little mention.

A good example this morning is the main Raleigh newspaper headline, "Trump sends Putin a message in Syria, but remains conflicted over Russia". These liberals have to make everything about Russia, or their other half dozen petty points.

Trump was sending first and foremost Assad a message.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:43 AM

UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Mattis said it best...

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
It has been on the news all week that we are sure it is Assad. France came out mid week and said they were certain. That is what happens when the media mucks up the important stuff with all their personality garbage and Russia fetish, important stuff gets little mention.

A good example this morning is the main Raleigh newspaper headline, "Trump sends Putin a message in Syria, but remains conflicted over Russia". These liberals have to make everything about Russia, or their other half dozen petty points.

Trump was sending first and foremost Assad a message.
Notice: Russia is denying that there was any gassing at all....that the entire thing is a hoax. If you've seen the pictures from Syria, it was quite a hoax.

Early on Mattis pointed out that according to the highly touted Obama/Kerry deal with Russia, all the chemical weapons were removed from Syria...and Russia was the guarantor that such actually happened. So, you can see why Russia is claiming chemical weapons were not used....because there were not supposed to be any in Syria after the Russian-led Obama/Kerry/Putin guarantee that all chemical weapons had been removed....100% Kerry said at the time.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:46 AM
Lieutenant General

Mich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
MSNBC's Brian Williams confuses Trump with Obama, internet reacts

MSNBC's Brian Williams confuses Trump with Obama, internet reacts

“It all started, nine o’clock Eastern time, with about a five-minute address by President Obama,” Wiliams said, matter-of-factly to the camera. “Here’s a portion of that.”

Williams reportedly corrected his error, but social media had a field day.
“Honestly, I can understand Brian Williams confusion. Bombing Syria is totally something President Obama would have done too,” one person tweeted.

The Democrats are like the Russians. They try to turn the story upside down.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...et-reacts.html

Last edited by Mich Flyer; 04-14-2018 at 12:15 PM..
Mad Props to Mich Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 12:24 PM

Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,116 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Our country could be directly attacked on our soil with a swift and decisive action from Our President and Nancy Pelosi,Chuck Schumer,Swimpy,the MSM,Liberal and coastal elites would STILL find something to slam Trump about.

The Donald is the best President since Reagan. He just needs to stop Tweeting, thats my only beef with him. The sooner everyone is onboard the better.

#MAaTWGA
Mich Flyer (04-14-2018), rollo (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 01:03 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,165 Times in 932 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

A perfectly executed strike last night. Thank you to France and the United Kingdom for their wisdom and the power of their fine Military. Could not have had a better result. Mission Accomplished!

If we know anything about Donald Trump it is that he is not a student of history, which is readlily apparent by his misguided us of this Bush II term:

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/04/nev...ched-iraq-war/
Swamp,

While I agree history thoroughly embarrassed W's staged victory celebration on the deck of Abe, the reality is we had routed the Iraqi army, deposed Saddam, and had greatly changed the dynamics of the Middle East in so doing. No more could Iraq threaten its Sunni neighbors ala the Kuwait invasion of 1990. No more could Saddam conduct WMD attacks against his Kurdish population. No more could Saddam flaunt UN mandates. Iran was scared, we had them in a vice and they were willing & hoping to deal (http://www.mepc.org/us-iran-engageme...gh-afghanistan). The purported WMDs that were the fait accompli in this Shakespearean tragedy? Maybe Saddam had already disposed of them. Maybe they went to Syria. Maybe they're still buried somewhere (unlikely, but maybe). Maybe they never existed. Honestly, irrelevant since they were a pretext towards the actual goal--removal of Saddam.

I would contend that, from a strict military standpoint, the mission (deposing Saddam) was accomplished, and in a spectacularly rapid and low cost manner. It was the mission creep afterwards where the glaring lack of prewar sociological/ethnic/historical research, to say nothing of the fantasy land predictions about how the postwar landscape would look, reared its ugly head.

It is too early to know what the goal was of last night's strikes. As I alluded to above, I believe they were intended to send a carefully choreographed message to numerous players (Assad certainly, Putin likely, the mullahs probably, Kim & Xi potentially) in an attempt to change an international calculus that has developed over the past decade or more. While I get that you are trying to tie Trump's statement to the perceived failure of GWB (and the fact that Trump, in the left's opinion, isn't very bright for not remembering Bush's gaffe), I believe Trump could have invoked this historical mistake for a very pointed and strategically valuable reason.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Viperstick For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (04-14-2018), IAFlyer (04-16-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 01:49 PM

jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
History always repeats itself, except when it doesn't.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:48 PM

Report from Syria

Just listened to a "damage report" from a reporter on the ground in Syria.
"They can't believe it.....nothing....a mere pin-pr!ck....~ 100 cruise missiles...no significant damage...like it never happed".

Makes the West look foolish...especially after all the tough talk.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:21 PM

Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,116 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
"They can't believe it.....nothing....a mere pin-pr!ck....~ 100 cruise missiles...no significant damage...like it never happed".

Fake news!

You're telling me 100 cruise missiles struck their target and no damage? Not a mere pin *****? No significant damage? Which is it, no damage or no significant damage? I hate it when 100 cruise missiles hit and it's like nothing happened.

West doesn't look foolish. West doesn't draw fake red lines in the sand.

If liberals would look past their distaste for Donald Trump the person and respect what Donald Trump the President is accomplishing they'd be ok. Liberals are having anti-Trump circlejerks and crying parties both online and in person. Liberals are nothing but a bunch of whiny,crying little b*tches. You know why it's so loud, the anti-Obama folks had jobs to work hard at,families to raise and recreation to be at. This freaking new wave of liberals keep their faces engulfed in their devices and trying to get clicks and reactions on social media posts, therefore much much louder....again...circlejerks.

Get a clue, Donald Trump is trying to do the right thing, what America was built on. Quit crying and take your kid to the park or your wife on a date or take a buddy to a baseball game.

Rant gone wildly off the rails. What if Assad killed your family? Grab your kleenex's and take your seat next to Swimpy in your safe room
cj (04-14-2018), JimBo (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 05:24 PM

Thanked 3,382 Times in 1,772 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute

Was Baghdad Bob replaced with Syria Steve?

https://dailym.ai/2JN5c6w
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to cj For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (04-14-2018), JimBo (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 05:50 PM

Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,184 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
Good posts. No need for congressional approval for targeted strikes. This isn't an act of war as it is a strike.

As much as I have tried to polish up on the Syrian conflict, it is a convoluted mess and confusing for many American's trying to digest everything. The biggest takeaway that the American people need to run with is how botched previous administrations were and how weak their words and efforts were. We are now forced to take military action that may not fix anything long term, but sets Syria back by destroying resources. We are also forced to take military action to show that the current administration's words account for something.

We can't afford another 2 decades of weak foreign policy as it creates the need for future administrations to pick up the slack that the others didn't have the guts to handle.
Agree...this goes back to Obama's disastrous withdrawal from Iraq.

Trump is dealing with Obama's mess.

Obama created the vacuum that the Russians, Iran, and ISIS took advantage of.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:57 PM

Open your mnd a bit Rob...

Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 View Post
Fake news!

You're telling me 100 cruise missiles struck their target and no damage? Not a mere pin *****? No significant damage? Which is it, no damage or no significant damage? I hate it when 100 cruise missiles hit and it's like nothing happened.

West doesn't look foolish. West doesn't draw fake red lines in the sand.

If liberals would look past their distaste for Donald Trump the person and respect what Donald Trump the President is accomplishing they'd be ok. Liberals are having anti-Trump circlejerks and crying parties both online and in person. Liberals are nothing but a bunch of whiny,crying little b*tches. You know why it's so loud, the anti-Obama folks had jobs to work hard at,families to raise and recreation to be at. This freaking new wave of liberals keep their faces engulfed in their devices and trying to get clicks and reactions on social media posts, therefore much much louder....again...circlejerks.

Get a clue, Donald Trump is trying to do the right thing, what America was built on. Quit crying and take your kid to the park or your wife on a date or take a buddy to a baseball game.

Rant gone wildly off the rails. What if Assad killed your family? Grab your kleenex's and take your seat next to Swimpy in your safe room
Rob, over the next few days more complete information re the effect of the strikes will become available. You might reserve judgment re their effectiveness until then.

Of course when a 1000 lb warhead of a cruise missile hits its target there is damage...the target might be completely destroyed. And it can be claimed that all hits were right on target. But, Rob, what matters a great deal is what the targets were doesn't it? As the next few days unfold I don't think we're going to see pictures of major Syrian military installations destroyed, e.g., airfields, aircraft, munitions storage areas....damage that is obviously painful to Assads capability to keep doing what he's doing.

DoD made it very clear that they weren't going do any damage that might rile the Russians or Iranians.

That was my point. I never said targets were not hit or that targets were not destroyed. My point was that from what I've heard so far the targets that were selected for destruction were not significant. This has nothing to do with "distaste" for Donald Trump, Rob, or whiny crying little liberal b!tches. Rather, it was intended to address the issue of whether or not we caused Assad real pain that will serve as a deterrent. I haven't seen/heard anything indicating the strikes did that. If you have, please pass the info along.

Last edited by UACFlyer; 04-14-2018 at 07:10 PM..
Old 04-14-2018, 07:20 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,581 Times in 701 Posts
JimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond repute

Did you see this on Al Jazeera or CNN?
Old 04-14-2018, 08:05 PM

The former...

Originally Posted by JimBo View Post
Did you see this on Al Jazeera or CNN?
Actually, it was Al Jezeera.

Upon reflection, I think I'm being too critical of our action. Of course, Obama would have done nothing. Correction. Re the gassing Obama would have issued a statement explaining "that's not how countries behave in the 21st century....so cut it out!".

What influenced my view was the fact that John Bolton is now on the job. And I distinctly recall some time ago hearing him explain that when you do something like this to an adversary it should be so painful that the adversary stops doing whatever provoked your action in the first place. That impressed me greatly.

But I think what we did yesterday was largely symbolic, was not sufficiently painful for Asaad, and will not deter him from repeating what he did. That contradicts what Bolton said that impressed me so much. And that's what disappointed me about what I've heard so far about the effect of the U.S. strike. I do not think we caused Asaad enough pain nor do I think he will be deterred.

That's it....just an opinion and the background behind it.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:14 PM

Thanked 11,223 Times in 3,328 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Put the "were chem weapons used?" issue aside and say its not debatable.

Are we sure we know who did it? Are we sure ISIS didnt commandeer the chem weapons somehow and target them in a manner that would make it appear as if Assad/Syria did it, forcing the USA/allies to swoop in and bomb Syria/Assad targets just like ISIS would want? Like a play out of Operation Valkyrie?

It wouldnt be the first time and from my layman strategic military viewpoint, it would be the most sensible thing to do. Assad simply using chem weapons makes no sense b/c he knows the response only hurts his goals. Just seems too obvious for me. I realize both sides are crazy and most logic is thrown out the door, but if I was Assad's or ISIS' military commander, I would be dissuading Assad and persuading ISIS.

Just something to think about. There is always sleight of hand and cheeky gamesmanship in warfare. There are no rules with these folks. Given both sides are our enemy and damaging one side only emboldens/strengthens the other, Im not sure there is a long-term win here. We win short-term brownie points on the humanitarian front and I dont discount that. No matter which side used the chem, its a Geneva convention violation. But where does this ultimately lead when we cannot really afford either side to maintain a permanent foothold.

Where is Sweden in this. They build their own jet fighters for criminy. All their runways orange barreled last night?

C. M. Rieman | Publisher | 937.361.4630 | Get the latest here:

Old 04-15-2018, 05:42 AM

Thanked 5,699 Times in 2,731 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Actually, it was Al Jezeera.
Good gravy......
Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
JimBo (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 06:47 AM
Lieutenant General

Evidence shows Syria 'attacked own people with chemical weapons', say US, UK and France

The Syrian regime used barrel bombs dropped by helicopter in a chemical weapon attack on its own people in the city of Douma, according to the US, France and Britain yesterday.
Justifying the decision to mount air strikes against Syria the three governments laid out evidence that the regime had used chemical weapons in the attack earlier this month, which opposition activists, rescue workers and medics say killed more than 40 civilians.
In a statement the White House said: “Multiple government helicopters were observed over Douma on April 7, with witnesses specifically reporting a Mi-8 helicopter, known to have taken off from the Syrian regime’s nearby Dumayr airfield, circling over Douma during the attack.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...eapons-say-us/
Old 04-15-2018, 07:34 AM

Kidding

Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
Good gravy......
I hope you know I was kidding.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:04 AM

Here are the facts and pictures of what happened with the bombings. Note is is by CBS News.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/syrian-...es-2018-04-14/
Old 04-15-2018, 10:24 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,581 Times in 701 Posts
JimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond repute
Here are the facts and pictures of what happened with the bombings. Note is is by CBS News.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/syrian-...es-2018-04-14/
That was one helluva pin.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:43 AM

Bomb Damage

The damage photos shown so far, including ones released by DoD, the CBS shots Jack posted, etc. are not especially enlightening.

But, this morning's WSJ front page has very impressive color satellite before and after photos of the primary chem weapons target. The before photo (color helps a lot) shows a complex of buildings encircled by a roadway, with the main buildings situation situated right up against the road. The "after" shots shows that all the buildings (3 large, 4 smaller) completely destroyed.

Most impressive: There are three buildings just outside the enclosed roadway located at 12 o'clock, 4 and 8. These buildings also are right up against the road, i.e., the buildings in and out of the roadway circle are only the width of the road apart. The three buildings outside the road-ring appear untouched.

Seventy six cruise missiles were used with what appears to be incredible accuracy...launched from many hundreds of miles away. One takeaway is that while a chem weapons site was the target...the capability exists to hit anything with great accuracy. The WSJ describes the extensive deliberation re target options, with Mattis exerting the most influence arguing for great caution so as not to make matter worse by forcing the Russians to strike back.

Much more informative and impressive description of events than originally reported, incl those provided by DoD. The color sat images are attributed to DigitalGlobe....a commercial satellite imaging company.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (04-16-2018), San Diego Flyer (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 01:54 PM

Some question as to whether Russia was informed before we launched, but I suspect we did. Very smart by Trump, as to keep the negative reaction by Russia to token complaints. All we needed was to kill some Russians and all hell could break loose. Trump has been mistreating Putin lately, like a hated step-brother, but glad he did the right thing here.

Trump is also being smart by drawing a line in the sand on chemical weapons, and not going further to dethrone Assad. Getting involved in a civil war is always tough, and taking sides can backfire.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UACFlyer (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 02:41 PM
Staff Writer

Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Trump puts the brakes on new Russian sanctions, reversing Haley’s announcement:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.e3686bec0170

Preparations to punish Russia anew for its support of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s government over the alleged chemical weapons attack in Syria caused consternation at the White House. Haley said on CBS News’s “Face the Nation” that sanctions on Russian companies behind the equipment related to Assad’s alleged chemical weapons attack would be announced Monday by Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:25 PM

Thanked 8,858 Times in 3,978 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Amazing response by our military.

I would love to have heard Putin's reaction to the magnitude, accuracy, delivery sources, and speed at which all that carnage went down.

I don't know how to say "holy sh*t" in Russian, but that would be a good guess. I think inwardly Putin got a little more respect for Trump.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 06:36 PM

Cruise Missiles

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
I would love to have heard Putin's reaction to the magnitude, accuracy, delivery sources, and speed at which all that carnage went down.

I don't know how to say "holy sh*t" in Russian, but that would be a good guess. I think inwardly Putin got a little more respect for Trump.
Russia has cruise missiles. But I doubt they have the capability the U.S. displayed.

Still a bit discombobulated though: Yesterday U.N. Ambassador Haley was very specific describing additional sanctions that Treas. Sec. Mnuchin would announce Monday. Today, Monday, that talk was walked back. Huh?
Old 04-16-2018, 07:59 PM

Thanked 8,858 Times in 3,978 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Russia has cruise missiles. But I doubt they have the capability the U.S. displayed.

Still a bit discombobulated though: Yesterday U.N. Ambassador Haley was very specific describing additional sanctions that Treas. Sec. Mnuchin would announce Monday. Today, Monday, that talk was walked back. Huh?
With President Trump tweeting insatiably, nothing is ever going to go perfectly smooth. In the grand scheme of things, sanctions against Russia are just annoying chump change. The world got a major dose of real weaponry and espionage.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:39 PM

Could not disagree more!

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
With President Trump tweeting insatiably, nothing is ever going to go perfectly smooth. In the grand scheme of things, sanctions against Russia are just annoying chump change. The world got a major dose of real weaponry and espionage.
The U.S. is not going to war with Russia...a nuclear power. That's a stalemate. Where we have enormous advantage is in the arenas of economics and finance.

Russia is a poor country with a 3rd world GDP about the size of New York state....and the country is an oligarchy run by a cadre of rich cronies of Putin who have their wealth stashed in the West outside of Russia.

When Putin's foreign adventures begin to cause serious pain for the oligarchs Putin is toast. And, until the last round of sanctions that has not been the case. But the sanctions announced last week have hit some prominent oligarchs hard and have riled Russian financial markets. And from what I read, the oligarchs that have not yet been hit are shaking in their boots because they fear they may be next on the list.

The fact is, the U.S. has the clout to shut Russia down.

The "real dose of weaponry" the U.S. can bring to bear on Russia is in the form of ever-tightening economic/financial sanctions....not bombs.

Last edited by UACFlyer; 04-16-2018 at 11:10 PM..
Old 04-17-2018, 11:17 AM
Staff Writer

Trump Scraps New Sanctions Against Russia, Overruling Advisers:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/16/u...?smid=tw-share

So much for punishing Russia for their involvement in Syria.

Comment on the above from the peanut gallery:

Carter Page, Ph.D.
@carterwpage

Smart move
Old 04-17-2018, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post
Trump Scraps New Sanctions Against Russia, Overruling Advisers:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/16/u...?smid=tw-share

So much for punishing Russia for their involvement in Syria.

Comment on the above from the peanut gallery:

Carter Page, Ph.D.
@carterwpage

Smart move
You already posted this yesterday. Are you finding so little anti-Trump, anti-American articles that you have to post them multiple times?
Old 04-18-2018, 10:31 AM
Staff Writer

Trump Tells Russia (Rather Than U.S. Media) He Will Impose No New Sanctions for War Crimes in Syria:

http://tass.com/world/1000430/amp?__...mpression=true
Old 04-18-2018, 10:33 AM
Staff Writer

You already posted this yesterday. Are you finding so little anti-Trump, anti-American articles that you have to post them multiple times?
One article was from The New York Times; the other from The Washington Post.

I know it's hard, but try to keep up.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:52 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

zmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to behold
Watching Mattis speak to the press behind the podium on Friday night was eerie. For the first time in this administration, I felt like someone speaking on behalf of the WH was speaking with truth, respect, and honesty.

He didn't roll his eyes at every question, he didn't dodge questions, he didn't act like the press were the enemy. He acted like someone who understands that the federal government has a duty to answer to the public.

It reminded me of a time when the WH, the press, and the American people had mutual respect for each other regardless of political affiliation.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:37 PM

Thanked 3,382 Times in 1,772 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by zmz723 View Post
It reminded me of a time when the WH, the press, and the American people had mutual respect for each other regardless of political affiliation.
You were alive when Lincoln was president??