UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Poll Results: Who owns the VCU loss award goes to....
Cunningham's 3/7 FTs and 5 turnovers 14 20.59%
Mikesell 0/3 on 3s 1 1.47%
Crutcher 4/12 shooting and 3 turnovers 6 8.82%
Landers 5 fouls and 0/2 on 3s 29 42.65%
Toppin 5 fouls in 17 min 9 13.24%
Grant's game plan 17 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2019, 05:55 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
UnGolden Close but No Cigar Award - at VCU

We had them...all My Team needed to do was execute a couple of plays, especially when they were coming out of a time-out and had ony 10 seconds to get off a good shot. Instead the inbounds pass went the wrong way and we end up with an ugly 3...and the rest is history as VCU took advantage of our inability to execute the dreaded 2-minute offense.

Regardless, we have the unRoyal responsibility to point fingers and rationally discuss what went wrong...so remember to keep it classy!

For the 1st time ever, I'm allowing more than 1 vote in this poll...if it's not abused, I'll consider more multiple vote Golden Polls...so be nice!

King Rollo the Dejected...OUT!

Last edited by rollo; 01-17-2019 at 06:01 AM..
Advertisement
Old 01-17-2019, 07:09 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
I voted Trey. Like it or not, the team looks to him for leadership. His mediocre play of late notwithstanding, you can't just constantly...constantly...look to the officials after every single drive, missed shot, made shot, begging for a call. Which means for those 4-5 seconds his head isn't in the game. It happened way too often last night.

Last edited by Radar; 01-17-2019 at 07:20 AM..
Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
Runnin' Rebel (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 07:36 AM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Sir Trey's whining is getting royally old, but so is Cunningham's reluctance to go up strong when he has inside position on the low post. Last night he was called for traveling TWICE because he was afraid to go up with the ball. Yeah, he might have been rejected...but then again, he might have made the shot and/or got a foul. Yo Josh, you're 6'8" with an elephant sized rear-end...use it to your advantage! UGH!!
CT Flyer (01-17-2019), IAFlyer (01-17-2019), Nashville_Flyer (01-17-2019), Radar (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 08:28 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,314 Times in 1,327 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I voted for Josh. I've said this before and I'll say it again, when he gets the ball on the post it's either feast or famine. He either scorers or the offense gets so bogged down we either turn it over or don't get a good shot.
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 08:36 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

oldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond repute
A poll to designate the worst player in a loss is in of itself pointing fingers and I have not voted and find the idea of voting in such a poll repugnant.

Why would Mikesell's name even be listed as an option? He did not make the threes he attempted which would have been nice but without his play this team would have been out of cotention before the first half was over. Grant took Mikesell out of the game for a short time in the first half and quickly lost control of the game as VCU jumped to a ten point lead. He quickly reinserted Mikesell and this stemmed the potential debacle and led to the eventual come back. As often as not the points scored in the comeback were by players who just received a pass from Mikesell. Further in the second half I do not believe it to be a mere coincidence that VCU started making their 3 point attempts when Mikesell was forced to play down low due to foul trouble by Cunningham and Toppin and that the threes stopped when Grant reentered Cunningham and allowed Mikesell to again play an outside spot defensively.
Mad Props to oldfan For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 08:53 AM

Old 01-17-2019, 08:56 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,993 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Was tempted to vote for Crutcher, because if he had gone straight at Evans after he got his 4th foul, then there was a better chance he’d have picked up his 5th foul, and would not have been in there to sink that dagger in the last minute. Cunningham was a possibility too, with 3-7 from the line and 2 key turnovers on traveling calls down the stretch. But decided to go with Trey, on the basis of 27 minutes that yielded 2 rebounds, 1-2 from the line, 5 fouls, a poor decision to go up with a shot when he had to jump over 3 players sprawled on the floor to do it, and enough bellyaching to fill the family station wagon on a summer vacation to the Grand Canyon.

It’s too bad, because I was really looking forward to having to decide between Mikesell and Davis for the hero’s medal, as both of them played well enough to win. But wins take a team playing good ball, and we didn’t have enough members of the team playing well enough to pull off the W. Oh, well, don’t let VCU beat you twice. Get your heads straight, stay focused on the action at hand, and come back from Olean with a W.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Runnin' Rebel (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 09:07 AM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Went with Trey,but it was close. Cunningham failed to box out multiple times and poor FT shooting once again hurt, but Trey really didn't bring anything last night. We need more from him.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:16 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,993 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I voted Trey. Like it or not, the team looks to him for leadership. His mediocre play of late notwithstanding, you can't just constantly...constantly...look to the officials after every single drive, missed shot, made shot, begging for a call. Which means for those 4-5 seconds his head isn't in the game. It happened way too often last night.
I’m convinced his “animation” is affecting his free throw shooting. He’s 3 for his last 6, between last night’s game and the end of the UMass game, and in every case, he missed the first shot and made the second. And I don’t believe it’s his form that’s the problem, as he was money from the stripe earlier this year. I think he just lets himself get so immersed in the action that he doesn’t stop to compose himself before he shoots the first one. So, he misses that one, stops, gets his head back in the game (and out of his @$&), and swishes the second.

Right now, Trey’s biggest problem is between his ears. He needs to quit urinating and moaning after every call/no-call, and stay focused on what he can control, specifically, how well he’s playing and how well he’s leading his teammates.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 09:19 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Originally Posted by oldfan View Post
A poll to designate the worst player in a loss is in of itself pointing fingers and I have not voted and find the idea of voting in such a poll repugnant.

Why would Mikesell's name even be listed as an option? He did not make the threes he attempted which would have been nice but without his play this team would have been out of cotention before the first half was over. Grant took Mikesell out of the game for a short time in the first half and quickly lost control of the game as VCU jumped to a ten point lead. He quickly reinserted Mikesell and this stemmed the potential debacle and led to the eventual come back. As often as not the points scored in the comeback were by players who just received a pass from Mikesell. Further in the second half I do not believe it to be a mere coincidence that VCU started making their 3 point attempts when Mikesell was forced to play down low due to foul trouble by Cunningham and Toppin and that the threes stopped when Grant reentered Cunningham and allowed Mikesell to again play an outside spot defensively.
you just voted w/out voting
Old 01-17-2019, 10:06 AM
Captain

Kevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud of
I voted Crutcher. As bad as Trey was he really hasn’t been great all season. I was more frustrated with Jalen at the end of the game. You could tell he was fatigued and instead of facilitating the offense and making a point to get to the rim, there were multiple possessions where he never even passed the ball and jacked up and out of rhythm three. Jalen has too much game experience to call that a young mistake. He is our point guard and must facilitate the offense at the most crucial part of the game instead of just settling. The best thing he can do for this team is to get everyone involved. I expect more out of him
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Kevinob15 For This Totally Excellent Post:
mikeymo85 (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 10:48 AM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Trey Landers hands down. His line, 5 fouls and 0/2 on 3s and lot's of moaning. Get a bad call and moan once, fine. Rinse and repeat, not fine. Trey is only partly about his skill set, and mostly about his leadership. He showed little of either last night. And let's now forget the only 2 rebounds in 26 minutes.

Kudos to Mikesell, who had maybe his finest game as a Flyer and showed leadership.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:53 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,556 Times in 3,701 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Kevinob15 View Post
I voted Crutcher. As bad as Trey was he really hasn’t been great all season. I was more frustrated with Jalen at the end of the game. You could tell he was fatigued and instead of facilitating the offense and making a point to get to the rim, there were multiple possessions where he never even passed the ball and jacked up and out of rhythm three. Jalen has too much game experience to call that a young mistake. He is our point guard and must facilitate the offense at the most crucial part of the game instead of just settling. The best thing he can do for this team is to get everyone involved. I expect more out of him
Posted via Mobile Device
I said it 6 or 7 games ago, and will say it again. AG has got to come up with a way to get Crutcher a few less minutes per game. 38 played last night, 36 per game average on the season. Very few guys play these kind of minutes as Crutch is currently #44 in the country in minutes played. I think if he was a bit fresher the mental mistakes in the final minutes may not happen.

Even Schoooooochie only averaged 31 to 32 minutes per game his last three seasons.
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 11:00 AM

jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
I said it 6 or 7 games ago, and will say it again. AG has got to come up with a way to get Crutcher a few less minutes per game. 38 played last night, 36 per game average on the season. Very few guys play these kind of minutes as Crutch is currently #44 in the country in minutes played. I think if he was a bit fresher the mental mistakes in the final minutes may not happen.

Even Schoooooochie only averaged 31 to 32 minutes per game his last three seasons.
I agree, but what is AG's option? When he took Crutcher out, and the time he put Cohill at the point and Crutcher at the off guard, our offense looked like a JV team. Against some other teams, okay, but VCU brings their big boy defensive pants.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:14 PM
Captain

AZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud of
Quite simple - Landers should NEVER shoot a 3.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:16 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,569 Times in 939 Posts
IAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I went with Crutcher as he took several ill-advised 3s in the early part of the shot clock vs trying to get the ball inside.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:22 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Cunningham is the lone senior and is supposed to lead by example! In every game his turnovers hurt. In this game the turnovers and missed free throws contributed greatly to the loss!
Old 01-17-2019, 12:48 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,556 Times in 3,701 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
I agree, but what is AG's option? When he took Crutcher out, and the time he put Cohill at the point and Crutcher at the off guard, our offense looked like a JV team. Against some other teams, okay, but VCU brings their big boy defensive pants.
Yesterday you are correct, a few other games it was not the case. Any dead ball within 30 seconds or so of the 8 TV timeouts, get Crutcher on the bench and let the combination of Cohill, Davis, and even Mikesell run the show until the TV timeout. Yes it is a gamble, but we have seen Crutcher out of gas one time too many in my opinion in the closing minutes of a game we lose. We must develop a back up option by tourney time, or our tourney run will be short lived.
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 02:03 PM

I don't understand how anyone (11 so far) could vote for Grant as the reason we lost. He's the reason we competed! We came out flat in the first 2 min and fought back...fell behind by 11 but went on a 9-0 run to end the half only down 2...fell behind by 10 and battled back to take the lead late only to fold in the last 45 seconds. There are only so many strings a coach can pull in a 40 min game with barely 6 viable players.

King Rollo the Grant Supporter...OUT!
ClaytonFlyerFan (01-17-2019), CT Flyer (01-17-2019), Flyer69ers (01-17-2019), GoFlyer (01-17-2019), JimBo (01-17-2019), The Fly (01-17-2019), UDGutter2 (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 02:47 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Grant made Cunningham travel.

Grant was also responsible for shooting 25% from 3.

Grant also ordered them to shoot 65% from the line.

And you could hear on TV how Grant was telling Obi to pick up stupid fouls.
Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 02:49 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Where would UD be this game and this season if Cohill could have hitting the ground running more on offense?
Old 01-17-2019, 03:52 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Mikesell would have won POG if the Flyers had won, so I didn't vote him.
Obi and Trey had, shall we say, some unfortunate calls, so I didn't vote them.
Cunningham got my vote, because at some point when play basketball, you must learn to shoot free throws at a respectable percentage consistently.
Mad Props to UDGutter2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Radar (01-18-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 11:58 PM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
I don't understand how anyone (11 so far) could vote for Grant as the reason we lost. He's the reason we competed! We came out flat in the first 2 min and fought back...fell behind by 11 but went on a 9-0 run to end the half only down 2...fell behind by 10 and battled back to take the lead late only to fold in the last 45 seconds. There are only so many strings a coach can pull in a 40 min game with barely 6 viable players.

King Rollo the Grant Supporter...OUT!
Rollo, I am a huge Grant supporter as well. Excellent recruiting, player development, analytics, gameplay, halftime adjustments, assistant coach staff, etc., etc.

But Grant's play calling or team's execution last 4 minutes was horrific. Remember Dayton was in the double bonus and up 69-67 with the ball and 3:59 remaining. Dayton is the #2 team in the country in 2 point FG percentage and the double bonus, go to the hoop!!!!

(1) Mikesell 3 with 11 seconds left on the shot clock at 3:40
(2) Crutcher 3 with 14 seconds left on the shot clock at 2:51
(3) Turnover by Cuningham at 2:07
(4) Turnover by Cunningham at 1:33 (I forget which one, but one of these two turnovers actually got the ball down-low)
(5) Mikesell 3 with 1 second left on shot clock at :59 after a timeout with 10 seconds on the shot clock.

How does Dayton who is #235 in the nation in 3pt percentage and #2 in the nation in 2pt percentage jack 3 3pts -- the Flyers only shots from 3:59 to :25 -- and not shoot a single 2pt. and not drive to the hoop aggressively in the double bonus. Either terrible play calling or terrible execution. AG had 3 timeouts, needs to burn one at 3:05 when they get a rebound up 69-67 after they jacked a 3 the previous possession.

Grant is in the bottom 10% of college coaches in win % in close games (games decided by 5 points or less). AG is great and I think he will be a fantastic coach for UD. But AG lost the game. He needs to figure out close-game coaching. The sample size over 11 years is too large to dismiss it as unlucky.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (01-18-2019), Radar (01-18-2019), rollo (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 07:16 AM

Toppin fouled out...Cunningham was afraid to shoot...that's our entire inside game which - kinda - explains the lack of 2-point shots in the last minutes of the game.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:39 AM
Captain

Kevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud of
Toppin fouled out...Cunningham was afraid to shoot...that's our entire inside game which - kinda - explains the lack of 2-point shots in the last minutes of the game.
I wouldn’t say Cunningham is afraid to shoot. He’s one of the few guys on the team who only takes intelligent shots and doesn’t jack it up when he gets the least bit of room. That’s why his shooting percentage has been so high the last 2 years. I’d rather him continue to pass when he doesnt have a high percentage chance. But that means the rest of the team needs to MOVE! Whenever the ball gets to the low post they all just stand and watch. Time to flash, cut, set off ball screens and keep the offense moving
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2019, 07:45 AM

I understand what you're saying but in a tight road contest I want my 5th year senior, 1000+ scorer and >65% shooter attacking the hoop late in the game. His travel call absolutely affected the outcome of the VCU game. IMRO, he has to go up strong and shoot that ball.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:19 AM
Captain

I think In general we need to find more creative ways to get Cunningham the ball in space and a lot closer to the block. Too often he doesn’t get the ball until he’s 12 feet away from the basket. Let’s help him out by working to get him open early and often and I think the problem will take care of itself.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2019, 08:29 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
I understand what you're saying but in a tight road contest I want my 5th year senior, 1000+ scorer and >65% shooter attacking the hoop late in the game. His travel call absolutely affected the outcome of the VCU game. IMRO, he has to go up strong and shoot that ball.
Actually, I want my 5th year senior, 1000+ scorer and >65% shooter already down low in the blocks, utilizing a couple head/pump fakes, and shooting a baby jump hook or an up and under...I also want a strong PG who can split the double more, get in the lane, commit defenders to him, and dump off to Obi and/or Josh for a dunk..Am I asking/wishing too much?
Old 01-18-2019, 10:53 AM

We had this same discussion last year, get Josh the ball in the low blocks. I do not think great defenders like VCU will just stand there and let him get passes. Not sure of Josh's height, but he looks 6'6 or 6'7 at most. He has short arms and a medium body and good, but not great leaps. He is not aggressive at getting open for a pass. Not a formula against bigger tough defenders, who will negate any pass thrown high. Josh is not a center, but he plays there, God bless him, because he is the best we've got.