Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-28-2013, 10:32 AM
1st Lieutenant

flyerman is a splendid one to beholdflyerman is a splendid one to beholdflyerman is a splendid one to beholdflyerman is a splendid one to beholdflyerman is a splendid one to beholdflyerman is a splendid one to beholdflyerman is a splendid one to beholdflyerman is a splendid one to behold
Archie Miller Basketball Brand and Development

I don’t think we saw Archie’s brand of basketball until this year. We played much differently for his first two years and even in this year’s exhibitions and first couple games. Now that the team is comprised of mostly his recruits we are seeing higher basketball IQ offensive sets with unselfish passing and playing as a team. They are developing into a pesky defensive team with lots of deflections and hustle to loose balls.

Perhaps this is simply a result of having the right type of basketball players with more rounded basketball skills and a willingness to buy into a team concept. BG teams played deep but many of his players had major holes in their game so other teams exploited these weaknesses.

I started following the Flyers in 1966 and I can’t remember any flyer team with a stronger more rounded bench. We will win a lot of games this year by wearing down teams and getting their first five in foul trouble. There is no one guy that gets in foul trouble that severely impacts our game.

The biggest difference between BG vs AM is development. Our players are getting better. Our team play is getting better and our young coach is getting better at making adjustments and bringing players along. We still see mistakes at times but it is not the same ones over and over.

Can anyone remember stronger group coming off the bench than Vee, Schoochie, Scott, Davis, Pollard, and Robinson?

This team has everything it needs to make a deep run in the NCAA. The only question at this time is can Archie keep them motivated to play at this level all season.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to flyerman For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (11-28-2013), Viperstick (11-29-2013)
Advertisement
Old 11-28-2013, 10:44 AM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,527 Times in 5,061 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyerman View Post
Can anyone remember stronger group coming off the bench than Vee, Schoochie, Scott, Davis, Pollard, and Robinson?
I say no. The quality of our depth is amazing. Every guy can come in and make a very strong contribution at any time in any game. This team is going to be a winning machine this year.
Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-28-2013)
Old 11-28-2013, 10:48 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,823 Times in 6,961 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Show me game film from last season and show me game film of this weekend and I'd have concluded that we changed coaches.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:30 AM

Thanked 4,260 Times in 1,743 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Show me game film from last season and show me game film of this weekend and I'd have concluded that we changed coaches.
We have not changed coaches. The talent level is different and deeper.

Look at last year.
- The team had 5 freshmen with lots of playing time.
- It has losses and injuries at key positions. (Point guard and center). Some staff members said that the loss of their center meant 5 more losses last year.
- Claims of lack of unity

Now compare:
- Five freshman are sophomores. Big difference.
- Picked up a big time talent (Jordan transfer)
- Team speed has improved.
- More depth. The deeper a team is, the better defense it usually can play
- New officiating rules play into UDs favor
- Claims of more unity
- Freshmen have stepped in a key times and contributed.

There is still lots of room for improvement. I was super pleased with the team the last five games. But they have to guard against big egos, injuries and still cover their weak spots.

Scouting will catch up with their tendencies. Their road will actually get harder now. Remember there is almost no game film on Siebert playing full time till now. There is not game film on Price playing full time, till now. Almost no game film on the freshmen. till now. Good coaches will have more time to prepare and dissect.

But they have so many weapons that it will be tough on opponents. Prepping for UD will be very, very hard.

I think there is room for improvement and if so, watch out.

Last edited by SeasonTicketFan; 11-28-2013 at 02:10 PM..
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-28-2013)
Old 11-28-2013, 11:35 AM

Thanked 15,823 Times in 6,961 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Agreed!

But more than anything, this team passes the ball and doesn't care who leads the team in scoring. Neither were the case last season.
Cleve (11-30-2013), Flyer 86 (11-28-2013), m21eagle45 (11-28-2013), ruechalgrin (11-28-2013), Tony T 71 (11-29-2013)
Old 11-28-2013, 11:42 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyerman View Post
The biggest difference between BG vs AM is development. Our players are getting better. Our team play is getting better and our young coach is getting better at making adjustments and bringing players along. We still see mistakes at times but it is not the same ones over and over.
It has driven me crazy that players didn't improve when I see it from the women every year. Archie has repeatedly made comments about ensuring that players develop in the Dayton program and he is making that come to fruition.

And some of it is due to recruiting players who have skills and are open to working on fundamentals. I remember BG saying that DMO was a great passer when he was signed but this system allows him to use those skills. But, Archie is finding a lot of players with those skills.
Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-29-2013)
Old 11-28-2013, 11:47 AM

Thanked 4,260 Times in 1,743 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Last year, players could not get as open as easily. The officiating rules, lack of speed, lack of experience and lack of depth contributed a lot to that.

In football, you can't throw the bomb if your offensive line can't protect the quarterback long enough.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:08 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
We have slashers who take it to the basket. The new rules changes have tipped the balance in favor of aggressive, driving, offenses. But the improvement in the defense......now that has been sudden and unexpected.

This is a vastly different team than the one that squeezed by IPFW on a last second three a few weeks ago.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to bobber For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (11-29-2013), Flyer 86 (11-29-2013)
Old 11-29-2013, 03:35 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Due to the rules our defense has changed dramatically. Not so much hand checking and into your face as getting into the passing lanes and creating a turnover which turns into offensive points.

Plus our on court energy is catching teams off guard. They are expecting a drop in energy and skill which Dayton just is willing to oblige.