UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-14-2018, 07:04 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Sid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant future
First Four

Anybody know what the attendance was Tuesday night?
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2018, 07:20 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
T-Bone 84 (03-14-2018), UDEE79 (03-15-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 11:28 PM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
ASU Syracuse set modern college basketball back a couple of decades tonight. Neither of those teams belongs in the tournament.
And so much for the clean up of the physical play a couple of years ago. Both those teams are just muggers... not basketball players....
Mad Props to TerryK_67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 12:24 AM
(Formerly O'Side Flyer)

Brad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TerryK_67 View Post
ASU Syracuse set modern college basketball back a couple of decades tonight. Neither of those teams belongs in the tournament.
And so much for the clean up of the physical play a couple of years ago. Both those teams are just muggers... not basketball players....
Yeah, it was pretty sloppy on both ends. Last 2 minutes were interesting, but that's about it.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:36 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, I had the late game on while I was working last night, and I remember looking over at the TV, seeing that Syracuse had 39 points, and thinking “Didn’t Syracuse have 39 points 15 minutes ago? And isn’t it after 11:00 PM?” The answer was “just about” on both counts.

The Committee should have mixed-up the pairings, so that Syracuse played UCLA and ASU played the Bonnies. That way, the better 2 at-large teams could have both advanced out of the First Four.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-15-2018, 09:46 AM
2nd Lieutenant

FrankStreetFlyer is a jewel in the roughFrankStreetFlyer is a jewel in the roughFrankStreetFlyer is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
Yeah, I had the late game on while I was working last night, and I remember looking over at the TV, seeing that Syracuse had 39 points, and thinking “Didn’t Syracuse have 39 points 15 minutes ago? And isn’t it after 11:00 PM?” The answer was “just about” on both counts.

Posted via Mobile Device
I was at the game and was rooting for a 41-39 finish. I was pretty sure at the time that no one would score the remainder of the game.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:06 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,395 Times in 712 Posts
Beatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond repute
This sounds looney, but I actually think UD could have advanced in Wednesday nights late game...against either opponent.

However, Syracuse has a history of making the opponents offense look stagnant. Charlie Coles leaped in basketball heavenly joy last night.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:32 AM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Beatty Town Coach View Post
This sounds looney, but I actually think UD could have advanced in Wednesday nights late game...against either opponent.

However, Syracuse has a history of making the opponents offense look stagnant. Charlie Coles leaped in basketball heavenly joy last night.
No way...the length they throw at you with the 2-3 zone would have crushed UD. UD would have also got smoked by 23, 25, and 11 in their offensive sets and we wouldn't have had an answer in the paint if we actually had to play help defense on the perimeter players.

That game was also more physical than any home game that I saw UD play by a long shot.

I think 3 from Texas Southern would have given us fits...let alone legit guard play from 'Cuse.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:26 AM
Brigadier General

Beatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond repute
Your point is well taken; and, That's pretty much what I observed from Syracuse on defense (my second paragraph), but not on offense. Syracuse only scored 60 points against a team that tied for 8th place in the pac10; but Saint bonnies, from A10 beat a team that tied for 3rd place in same package 10.

Realizing you cannot necessarily compare scores of other games; but coupled with the fact that I said "might ", and the reality that Saint Bonnaventure beat Cuse in the carrier dome, and that UD beat Bonnies 82 -72 at UD ARENA.

Syracuse is terrible on offense, and their greatest offensive asset is their obnoxious arrogant loud mouth head coach, who has tacit permission to yell, scream, and cry to the officials without the same fear of punitive outcomes as other coaches. It took a hall of fame coach to squeeze out a bulls hit win over an 8th place pack ten team. Call me excessively unimpressed; even if the yelling cry baby, screams his way to another final four.

Last edited by Beatty Town Coach; 03-16-2018 at 11:29 AM..
Old 03-16-2018, 11:28 AM
Brigadier General

PAC 12, showing my age.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:35 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
PAC 12, showing my age.
At least you didn't day Pac 8.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Beatty Town Coach (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 11:37 AM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Your point is well taken; and, That's pretty much what I observed from Syracuse on defense (my second paragraph), but not on offense. Syracuse only scored 60 points against a team that tied for 8th place in the pac10; but Saint bonnies, from A10 beat a team that tied for 3rd place in same package 10.

Realizing you cannot necessarily compare scores of other games; but coupled with the fact that I said "might ", and the reality that Saint Bonnaventure beat Cuse in the carrier dome, and that UD beat Bonnies 82 -72 at UD ARENA.

Syracuse is terrible on offense, and their greatest offensive asset is their obnoxious arrogant loud mouth head coach, who has tacit permission to yell, scream, and cry to the officials without the same fear of punitive outcomes as other coaches. It took a hall of fame coach to squeeze out a bulls hit win over an 8th place pack ten team. Call me excessively unimpressed; even if the yelling cry baby, screams his way to another final four.
He was pretty tame....I was within earshot the whole game and his physical animations are much more emphatic than the words he is hollering.

Their offense is typical for some of those teams. Very athletic and try to beat you in a game of one on one with some cuts and ball screens. Very few one hitters and most of them are to set up a lob, open 3 on reversal, or an iso. Their practice on Monday...VERY good shooters.

I will say that while listening to JB coach, it is AMAZING at what BASIC basketball instruction he was giving some of these players. One of his guys got beat off the wing and fouled early on...he was yelling at the player to open his hips and beat him to the spot. Duh....that's pretty basic. There were also things that seemed really elementary.

He has a couple top dogs in the country and while great ball players, the game isn't complex that he was coaching...not one bit.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:37 AM
Brigadier General

Or night....CE80.

Last edited by Beatty Town Coach; 03-16-2018 at 11:43 AM..
Old 03-16-2018, 11:52 AM
Brigadier General

I agree, he absolutely teaches and coaches the basics. Why more current day coaches don't pick-up on that and follow-up...hair pulling.

I agree that three Cuse players looked awesome, but only on a few possessions. They looked potentially dominant against what I say is a not very good ASTATE. Just see how bad buffalo dominated Arizona...PAC 12, just like the last ten years, is over rated and over stated.