Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 05-17-2016, 05:21 PM
Brigadier General

DGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sw368407 View Post
It is more complex than just money but here are most of the reasons kids transfer..

I still don't buy the entitlement argument other than rules have changed to favor athletes more because schools started to make big money off of them and realized that they would have to give athletes some more freedom or their could be some kind of unionization or "work stoppage". More freedom in the form of easing of some transfer rules including the Graduate Transfer Rule in 2006. This has happened more since the NBA has forced kids to go to college for a year before being drafted since they no longer have a professional option in America at 18. This rule change alone has created a shift in focus from the NCAA basketball programs being all about school and more about the fact it is now the primary gateway to the pros. TV money, exposure and playing around other NBA talents will get you noticed more easily. T

Back before the big TV contracts conferences were more or less equal, there was little incentive for schools to join mega conferences and led to the decision for some schools to remain independent (Including UD). This resulted in a more even playing field among all teams and all conferences. When big money started creating a divergence between the haves and have-nots you start to see coaching salaries rise, coaches getting poached from smaller conferences with lesser pay to big conferences for a big payday. You see rules being bent, promises being made etc. to attract recruits. Whether you want to admit it or not there is a huge difference in exposure between UD and Ohio State basketball. This is attractive to kids that think they can go pro. ESPN is much more enticing than CBS Sports Net/WHIO/etc.

On one side you have this going on....a kid is destroying the A-10 world or some lesser conference and is capable of going to OSU or Kansas or some higher level after a couple of years at Richmond or Duquesne etc., knows he has options at a higher level and takes it. This doesn't happen to UD much (Staten might be the most recent example) because I think Archie does look for the right kid and fit. Hard to fault a kid that wants to challenge himself and play under a better spotlight. Especially if that kid graduated in 3 years and is looking to go to grad school for his final year of eligibility to maximize his free schooling. We mostly take kids from lower levels that want to improve (Cooke, Cunningham).

Second, there are a bunch of kids that commit to those OSU's of the world out of high school and aren't a good fit, want to actually play and choose to transfer to a lesser school in the hopes of getting better and having a legitimate shot at playing professionally whether it be in the NBA or overseas. (Siebert is a great example and actually had a chance of getting signed after transferring and Khari Price is an example of someone who transferred from UD probably because the writing was on the wall with Schooch coming in and playing well and his knees bothering him).

Third, some kids are just flat lied to. Examples are hard to come by because it is mostly he said she said conflicts. It can easily happen when a coach promises x amount of playing time and the kid doesn't get the time or opportunity for those minutes. Again, I don't think this happens all that often at UD. We have a pretty good track record with our coaches.

The landscape has changed with the graduate transfer rule in 2006, the NBA changing their draft edibility rules while at the same time big money entering the college landscape. All of this in about the same time-frame. I don't really think transfers are a big problem. I think it is great kids have more options to find themselves the right fit whether it to be to play more, maybe get more exposure, or just get a better education. You have to remember a lot of these kids also come from backgrounds where it is basketball or nothing for them so it is hard to blame them for wanting to maximize their four NCAA years to benefit their playing careers.

Sorry for the long-winded post.

**EDIT** I also left out one of the more obvious reasons people might transfer. Some kids transfer to be closer to family or because a family member is sick/dying. Or simply the coach that recruited them to that school either got fired or took another job at a different school. Sorry M21Eagle45 for the additional edit!
Well written and well said.
I wonder if potential transferees could benefit from impartial counseling with somebody like you to discuss the merits (and downside) of transferring?
Is this already happening?
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2016, 06:07 PM
Major

Bucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
Maybe the kid thinks "Hey I know I am never going to make the NBA, so I should transfer to a school where I will be able to play and enjoy my last few years of ever being able to play competitive athletics." Or maybe, just like the close 37.3% of the regular student population that transfers at least once, do not feel the school is a fit. There are MANY MANY reasons these kids transfer, not many because they are entitled or will find the magic solution to get to the NBA.
Agreed.

Situations' change. Is a person disloyal or entitled because they can get a better opportunity at another company? Because they move to better neighborhood? I'm guessing most of the people determining the transfers are symptomatic of a "me" culture have done one or two "selfish" things themselves.

There is almost no other area in life that most of the people on this board would find acceptable that once a decision is made as a teenager, it can/should never be changed. I am certainly thankful that I wasn't held to that standard.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:30 AM
1st Lieutenant

FlyerNation23 is just really niceFlyerNation23 is just really niceFlyerNation23 is just really niceFlyerNation23 is just really niceFlyerNation23 is just really nice
This is exactly who we need:

http://www.lex18.com/story/32003911/...d-full-release

From Chicago.

Go get him Arch
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerNation23 For This Totally Excellent Post:
307Kiefaber (05-18-2016), Bonziflyer (05-18-2016), DallasFlyer (05-18-2016), flyer016 (05-18-2016), sw368407 (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 12:11 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyerNation23 View Post
This is exactly who we need:

http://www.lex18.com/story/32003911/...d-full-release

From Chicago.

Go get him Arch
Bio: http://www.ukathletics.com/sport/m-b...b073340d388d5e

A couple of things worth noting I think...

Matthews played for Meanstreets which is the same program as Evan Gilyard. Those guys know each other pretty well. Here's a link to a photo of those two going at it in high school:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...001-photo.html

Obviously, Dayton has a lot of Chicago guys so that can't hurt. He likely has played with and against Josh Cunningham over the years and maybe KP and Kyle though they are a good bit older.

From Calipari's quote and also scanning a UK board -- https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/t...erring.192957/ --
it seems he is not someone they want to go.

And speaking of Calipari, worth remembering that he and Archie are related - cousins of some sort I believe - and they are friendly by all accounts. So if Matthews is getting advice from Cal on where to go, I would think he would have good things to say about Dayton / Archie.

So I definitely agree that he's both a good target and a likely one to keep the Jordan Sibert/Charles Cooke train rolling forward.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Al (05-18-2016), flyer016 (05-18-2016), jack72 (05-18-2016), sw368407 (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 07:17 PM
Major General

DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Byron Hawkins is headed to Murray State.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:13 PM
1st Lieutenant

UDFLIES is a name known to allUDFLIES is a name known to allUDFLIES is a name known to allUDFLIES is a name known to allUDFLIES is a name known to allUDFLIES is a name known to all
Mathews would be a perfect addition in terms of position, style, and class. Kid is an athletic freak and can really defend/rebound.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-19-2016, 01:24 PM
General

Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe the kid thinks "Hey I know I am never going to make the NBA, so I should transfer to a school where I will be able to play and enjoy my last few years of ever being able to play competitive athletics." Or maybe, just like the close 37.3% of the regular student population that transfers at least once, do not feel the school is a fit. There are MANY MANY reasons these kids transfer, not many because they are entitled or will find the magic solution to get to the NBA.
I think that's what I said. I'm all for it, I get it. That will apply to some of kids, it's only natural. I'm just making the point that if these same kids had been raised to understand that "enjoying your last few years of competitive athletics" means being dedicated to a team concept and not personal statistics, the transfer rate would not be growing at an alarming rate. Some would still transfer, some will certainly enjoy it more once transferred, I just think the rate transfers are increasing is not explained by a newly-found discovery of statistics (that their NBA chances are not very good) compared to 25 years ago.

The 37.3% you reference, does that include all the kids who attend a community college for a couple years to save $ before transferring up to the main university they really wanted to attend but could not afford all 4 years? (Answer: yes)

Does that include transfers for athletic scholarship reasons (meaning you're counting them twice, once in your argument for athletes who transfer and then also pushing up the % of the general population who transfers)? (Answer: yes)

Does it reflect students who have family emergencies (meaning it's not a flippant choice)? (Answer: yes)

Does it include active military, where someone may start at one college but then need to transfer to another when their job is transferred? (Answer: yes)

Seems a bit misleading to me.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:00 PM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
according to this:

https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=40

the 6 year graduation rate for undergraduate degrees at 4 year instituions is roughly 65% for private colleges and 58% for public ones. I have no idea if that is the numbers for just the school you started at, or if that includes kids who graduate in 6 years, but do it at 2 or more schools in that time frame.

65% tells me a sizable proportion of any kid entering UD will either transfer out, drop out, or delay their fulfillment of their degree (even w/ students that are co-oping anything longer than 6 years is stretching things out). Seems fairly in line w/ transfer rates among college basketball players.

Also keep in mind, that it hasn't been that long since you would go to one college and have only a vague idea of what other programs or players were accomplishing outside of the teams on your schedule. With the birth of ESPN, AAU basketball, twitter, email, texting, snap chat, CBSsports, etc........ its significantly easier for these kids to follow what the buddies back home have accomplished at other programs, what an assistant that recruited them to one school is doing at another school now that he's the head coach, and then flip the tables and its much easier for coaches to grab film of players at all levels of D1. Kids transfer for all kinds of reason, no different than its always been, only today were so much more connected that transferring becomes a significantly easier task to take on.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:33 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Believe UD has an athletic retention rate and graduation rate that is considerably higher than 65%

Last edited by UD62; 05-20-2016 at 08:34 AM..
Old 05-19-2016, 05:06 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
I think that's what I said. I'm all for it, I get it. That will apply to some of kids, it's only natural. I'm just making the point that if these same kids had been raised to understand that "enjoying your last few years of competitive athletics" means being dedicated to a team concept and not personal statistics, the transfer rate would not be growing at an alarming rate. Some would still transfer, some will certainly enjoy it more once transferred, I just think the rate transfers are increasing is not explained by a newly-found discovery of statistics (that their NBA chances are not very good) compared to 25 years ago.

The 37.3% you reference, does that include all the kids who attend a community college for a couple years to save $ before transferring up to the main university they really wanted to attend but could not afford all 4 years? (Answer: yes)

Looking at the article I referenced, if you take out the kids that start at a JC or Community college, 36.5% of kids attending 4 year colleges transfer at least once in their college career and just under half of that 36.5% will transfer a second time. (So No)

Does that include transfers for athletic scholarship reasons (meaning you're counting them twice, once in your argument for athletes who transfer and then also pushing up the % of the general population who transfers)? (Answer: yes)

Yes, but taking out college athletes would make a VERY SMALL difference in the numbers when talking about the 1,350,147 kids that transferred between 2008-2014. And even still, 2 players out of 13 (Which is the average for transfers per basketball team) is much less than the 1/3 of the regular student population(So kind of, but not really)

Does it reflect students who have family emergencies (meaning it's not a flippant choice)? (Answer: yes)

Does it include active military, where someone may start at one college but then need to transfer to another when their job is transferred? (Answer: yes)

Transferring for family and or job is still transferring. Like I said before, many reasons for transferring

Seems a bit misleading to me.
http://nscresearchcenter.org/signaturereport9/
Old 05-20-2016, 10:51 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
an FYI

Zach Fleer ‏@ZachFleer270
Javon Bess, who recently committed to Akron after transferring form Michigan State, has decommitted from Akron and reopened his recruitment
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Al (05-20-2016), jack72 (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 10:54 AM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
http://nscresearchcenter.org/signaturereport9/
Help me understand this, because I think it's wildly inappropriate to use this 36.2% number as a comparison point to kids on athletic scholarships.

1. The study includes part time students. Think of the single mom taking community college classes while supporting her son/daughter. Then, when the son/daughter reaches school age, the single mother goes full time. Is this in any way a reasonable comparison to a FT student / FT student-athlete? Oh, and by the way, that demographic has the highest transfer rate according to the study.

2. I just don't buy these numbers at face value. Statistics don't lie, but. . . So 36.5% transfer at least once. But, 13% of those "transfers" are kids who take summer classes and then go back to the original school. Did you forget to mention that? If I understand the math correctly, 36.5% - 13% = 31.8%. So let's just start there, not at 36.5%.

The next thing that smells funny is that the report says 51.3% of that number transfers to 2 year colleges. I can remember when I was in high school and learned of some people's choice to attend college. I thought to myself, "not a chance." They either flunked out or transferred to a 2-year tech school within a year. Does it count, yes. But societal pressure to attend college when these people clearly should have been at a tech school was at play. I don't buy the idea that 31.8% of college students who have any business attending a 4-year school are transferring. Subtracting the 51.3% that transferred to a 2 year school leaves us with 15.5%. That seems much more reasonable to me, even if not exactly mathematically precise.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:56 PM
2nd Lieutenant

sw368407 is a glorious beacon of lightsw368407 is a glorious beacon of lightsw368407 is a glorious beacon of lightsw368407 is a glorious beacon of lightsw368407 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by DGO67 View Post
Well written and well said.
I wonder if potential transferees could benefit from impartial counseling with somebody like you to discuss the merits (and downside) of transferring?
Is this already happening?
I think most counseling is coming from either their close family members (or guardian), their AAU coaches and guidance from the current coach at the college they are already at.

There has to be a level of trust with the current coach in order to really take what that coach has to say at face value and often times what is best for the program is not best for the player. So you can see the conflict of interest in that relationship already. Sure, there the majority of coaches aren't out to screw people but it happens.

At the same time, family members can get too greedy and big-eyed and give bad advice to players and they transfer based solely off of that.

AAU coaches tend to be more well rounded as they usually have dealt with more than one player and different players' situations at different schools. They usually have more broad relationships with more than just the one player and one school and probably would give the best advice in most instances. They also can have hidden motives as well.

Deciphering who has your best interest at heart as a 18-22 year old can be very difficult at times and really the decision is the player's to make. This is where I find it difficult to blame kids for wanting to transfer. Every situation is different and sometimes they simply are given bad advice.

There is no doubt that having access to someone who is completely impartial would be beneficial but I really don't know who that would be or how that would work outside hiring an attorney with this expertise.
Mad Props to sw368407 For This Totally Excellent Post:
DGO67 (05-21-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 03:22 PM

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sea Bass View Post
an FYI

Javon Bess, who recently committed to Akron after transferring form Michigan State, has decommitted from Akron and reopened his recruitment
Ouch, someone ticked him off in a hurry.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:58 PM
Lieutenant General

UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
an FYI

Happy he didn't "commit" to UD as an incoming frosh
Old 05-23-2016, 11:29 PM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
Here is a list of names from the transfer wire. I know nothing about these kids except what i read on the web. Some have academic issues, some injury issues, some criminal background issues and etc. But i like their size and some reasonable stats in high school, at least if not in college. Trey Kalina, Chattanooga, 7'0, 252, Leon Bahner, San Diego State, 6'11", 255, Oumar Berry, DePaul, 6'10", 226, William Brooks, Texas Pan American, 7'0", 245, Davante Cooper, Bradley, 6'10", 216, Neville Fincher, Tennesse State, failed academic to Kansas State, 6'10", 245, Jake Hammond, Nebraska, 6'10", 230, Trayvon Reed, Auburn, 7'2", 240, Moses Toriola, Norfolk State, 6'10", 230, and Jordan Tyson, St. Bonaventure, 6'10", 230. Maybe these kids just need our Archie Miller to make a difference.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Buckleyma For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyer016 (05-24-2016), jack72 (05-24-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 09:12 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,038 Times in 2,599 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein

Ohio State transfer A.J. Harris told @CBSSports that he has committed to New Mexico State. Three years of eligibility remaining.
Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (06-03-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 09:52 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 View Post
Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein

Ohio State transfer A.J. Harris told @CBSSports that he has committed to New Mexico State. Three years of eligibility remaining.
I can't imagine that is where he thought he would end up playing when he decided to transfer. The WAC is whole different world than the B1G or the A14.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:20 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Paris Bass a 6'8 SG/SF from U. of Detroit on the transfer market. Redshirt Soph who put 18.4 PPG with 8 rebounds.

1st team all Horizon League
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (06-03-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 05:32 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
Paris Bass a 6'8 SG/SF from U. of Detroit on the transfer market. Redshirt Soph who put 18.4 PPG with 8 rebounds.

1st team all Horizon League
Sounds a bit like a taller Charles Cooke. Would he only have one year of eligibility though? This site ranks him as the #53 prospect in the 2017 draft.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by THirt; 05-28-2016 at 05:35 PM..
Old 05-28-2016, 05:37 PM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I think he'd only have one year. Might not bad even with only one year, he could buy time for the underclassman guards
Flyer 86 (06-03-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 05:43 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
How did Detroit get a 6'8 guard?
Old 05-28-2016, 05:45 PM
General

sounds like he had academic issues and played weak aau/hs competition
Old 05-31-2016, 09:28 PM
Major General

Probably looking to get closer to home (Texas) but this kid could be worth a look as a grad transfer--
http://www.startribune.com/charles-b...ays/381420941/
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 08:31 AM

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Tough part with the majority of one and dones is that they look at our four seniors and know they will not start ahead of them.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (06-01-2016), Flyer Al (06-01-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 11:13 AM
1st Lieutenant

jerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to behold
PER ROTHSTEIN, Javon Bess (Michigan State Transfer, brought up on this thread) who previously decommitted from Akron has committed to SLU. Of course has to sit out a year, but potentially a very good get for them.
Mad Props to jerseyflyer09 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (06-03-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 02:49 PM
General

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein May 31 TCU's Chauncey Collins will not return, per release. Next stop is TBD. Averaged 12.3 PPG last season.

6' Guard who hit 39.5% from 3, 78.4% from the FT line
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (06-03-2016), FLYER5 (06-03-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 05:09 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein May 31 TCU's Chauncey Collins will not return, per release. Next stop is TBD. Averaged 12.3 PPG last season.

6' Guard who hit 39.5% from 3, 78.4% from the FT line
Conflicting statements about whether or not he is turning pro, but he's saying he's open to playing oversees so that seems like where he'll end up. Doesn't sound like he wants to sit a year or be in school anywhere particularly. Also a PG. No ties to Ohio. Good player, but definitely not a fit.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (06-03-2016), FLYER5 (06-03-2016), San Diego Flyer (06-03-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 10:06 PM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
[QUOTE=Buckleyma;457132]Here is a list of names from the transfer wire. I know nothing about these kids except what i read on the web. Some have academic issues, some injury issues, some criminal background issues and etc. But i like their size and some reasonable stats in high school, at least if not in college. Trey Kalina, Chattanooga, 7'0, 252, Leon Bahner, San Diego State, 6'11", 255, Oumar Berry, DePaul, 6'10", 226, William Brooks, Texas Pan American, 7'0", 245, Davante Cooper, Bradley, 6'10", 216, Neville Fincher, Tennesse State, failed academic to Kansas State, 6'10", 245, Jake Hammond, Nebraska, 6'10", 230, Trayvon Reed, Auburn, 7'2", 240, Moses Toriola, Norfolk State, 6'10", 230, and Jordan Tyson, St. Bonaventure, 6'10", 230. Maybe these kids just need our Archie Miller to make a difference.

Hammond goes to Central Oklahoma and Toriola goes to Rochester College. Two other interesting guys on the transfer list are: Osahen Iduwe, Georgia, 6'10", 245 and Henry Uwadiae, Green Bay, 6'11", 240. Both guys are originally from Nigeria.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2016, 10:44 PM
General

Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanESPN) tweeted at 10:03 PM on Mon, Jun 20, 2016:
Kentucky transfer Charles Matthews is headed to Michigan, source told ESPN.

starting to look like slim pickings out there now
FLYER5 (06-21-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 10:19 AM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,927 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Kendall Pollard's Simeon HS teammate Kendrick Nunn is transferring to Oakland. He didn't have much choice as he was kicked off the Illini squad. Nunn was recruited to OU by former BG assistant Cornell Mann:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/co...nunn/86271346/
Old 06-27-2016, 12:21 PM
Major General

m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Austin White III is going to be a grad transfer from Nebraska, just announced. He is a 6'7" wing who averaged 16.6 and 5.9 for Nebraska last year. Would be a big get, especially this late in the process.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/after-q...8522fc20c.html
Old 06-27-2016, 12:27 PM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
read an article about him yesterday. I doubt he would fit in on this team.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/barfkne...4f88488e7.html
Old 06-27-2016, 01:01 PM
Major

Bucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond repute
read an article about him yesterday. I doubt he would fit in on this team.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/barfkne...4f88488e7.html
Interesting kid. I didn't see him play at Nebraska and don't remember him form Kansas so can't comment on his ability other than his numbers look good. Whereas a 2 time transfer sends up a red flag, graduating in 4 years despite transferring and wanting to play for a team that wins are positives.

It will be interesting to see where he goes. Based upon what he wants it would have to be a team on which he could start and would be at the top of their conference. It's late to be looking for that to be his criteria.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:47 PM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,927 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bucketnight View Post
It will be interesting to see where he goes. Based upon what he wants it would have to be a team on which he could start and would be at the top of their conference. It's late to be looking for that to be his criteria.
How'd that work out for AJ Harris, the OSU transfer from Dayton Dunbar?
Old 06-27-2016, 04:12 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Austin White III is going to be a grad transfer from Nebraska, just announced. He is a 6'7" wing who averaged 16.6 and 5.9 for Nebraska last year. Would be a big get, especially this late in the process.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/after-q...8522fc20c.html
Not sure it would be a big get at this time....Might be disrupting a team with 4 starters back and chemistry is vital to a team's success and especially to a kid who got use to taking the most shots on their team. Would the UD players even have enough time to get to know the kid?
Sometimes it's not the guys you get that help a program more but the ones you don't get.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
runnerup (06-27-2016), San Diego Flyer (06-28-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 05:16 PM
Major

Again, I haven't seen Austin White play, but seems a 6'7" Wing that avgs almost 17 and 6 might be an apples and oranges comparison to 5'9" PG.

... and I'm not sure the chemistry on last year's team couldn't use some disruption.

Those things being said, I don't know enough about the kid as a player or a person to know if he fits but I trust the staff enough that if their due diligence says yes, I'd be pretty happy with the potential.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:31 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, I think Kostas is it for 2016.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:42 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
A guy who is leaving because he was dissatisfied with his role despite leading the team in shots because they weren't doing enough to enhance his draft status is not likely a good fit anywhere they propose sharing the ball as an element of the game.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (07-08-2016), mikeymo85 (06-28-2016), San Diego Flyer (06-28-2016), steve (06-28-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 11:45 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

mikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud of
Larry Brown leaving SMU, any big men looking to transfer?
Old 07-08-2016, 01:47 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by mikeymo85 View Post
The top assistant there is taking over the head job, so that should help limit some of the transfers, especially since he was a good head coach at Ill. St. before leaving that job to become the top assistant for Brown.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:06 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,364 Times in 2,464 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDDoug View Post
A guy who is leaving because he was dissatisfied with his role despite leading the team in shots because they weren't doing enough to enhance his draft status is not likely a good fit anywhere they propose sharing the ball as an element of the game.
I'm a little familiar with this young man and the situation at NE. Could he help Dayton? Probably. He can score from the outside and we lacked cocsistancy in that area last year.

Would he be disruptive to the team? Always hard to tell, but I would lean towards probably his father would be and maybe the player too. The pressure of one year to advance your pro prospects on a winning team with other players that have earned the right to be the team leaders in all areas seems like a no-win for either side.

I think the young man should have stayed at NE and finished strong and worked his tail off on the areas the pro scouts were concerned with. That would have been impressive.

All that said I have never spoken to him or his family. If Dayton looks at him I'm confident the coaching staff will vet him from top to bottom and address every concern. AM likes defensive players and this is an area of concern. AM also expects players to work harder than they ever have. Dayton and AM would be good for this kid. It's a matter of if the player buys into what it takes to be a Flyer. That's a nice place to be as a program. My how far we have come under AM!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (07-11-2016), m21eagle45 (07-09-2016), udflyerhoops2 (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 10:48 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,764 Times in 929 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Can't speak to the chemistry aspect, but this would be a monster get on paper. Our entire starting lineup would be deeply experienced seniors. Getting this guy and Kostas this late in the game and BOTH eligible right away? There might be a single digit next to our name before the season starts.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (07-10-2016), m21eagle45 (07-09-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 09:52 AM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
Can't speak to the chemistry aspect, but this would be a monster get on paper. Our entire starting lineup would be deeply experienced seniors. Getting this guy and Kostas this late in the game and BOTH eligible right away? There might be a single digit next to our name before the season starts.
I agree with this. On paper it looks great. And like. I said above I'm confident AM and the staff will vet him hard over any concerns. There are never any guarantees on attitude and chemistry. But you can't short-cut the tough topics and I don't think we will if we look at this player.

And UD would be good for this young man. How well he would buy in is the question. I should also add that I don't think he was unhappy with his role at NE. There are some concerns about the coach across the state. Recruiting and results haven't been where they expected them to be after 5 years. Men's basketball is a a distant step child to football at NE. And in fact other sports like women's volleyball and even women's basketball are more successful. Men's bball is pretty far down the list. I think all this factored into the decision.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 07-10-2016 at 09:57 AM..
Old 07-10-2016, 01:15 PM

Thanked 6,127 Times in 4,172 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
I should also add that I don't think he was unhappy with his role at NE. There are some concerns about the coach across the state. Recruiting and results haven't been where they expected them to be after 5 years. Men's basketball is a a distant step child to football at NE. And in fact other sports like women's volleyball and even women's basketball are more successful. Men's bball is pretty far down the list. I think all this factored into the decision.
Nebraska is a tough place to be successful in men's basketball...Tim Miles delivered the first NCAAT bid since 1998 in 2014, so he has had some success there.

The other schools that are reportedly pursuing Andrew White:

http://espn.go.com/blog/mens-college...isits-syracuse:

"Andrew White (@AndrewWhite03) has visited Syracuse. Miami, Pitt, L'ville, MSU, USC, UCONN & Texas are all pushing for a visit. VCU in mix."

That is an impressive group of suitors.

Last edited by ud2; 07-10-2016 at 01:17 PM..
Old 07-11-2016, 04:47 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by mikeymo85 View Post
Well, well and well. You folks saw my comments about MR. LARRY BROWN earlier. I have been waiting for the dust to clear and for SMU to announce the inevitable name of the replacement. Brown leaves his team right during the July recruiting period. He leaves the players that he recruited in the lurch. Did I have ESP or something? He has a 6'11" and a 6'10" both top star recruits that he left standing there. Tim Jankovich takes over. He was the coach at Illinois State when Dayton played them.

Brown is 75 years old and wanted a long term contract extension. He doesn't get it and he storms off. This is classic Larry Brown to leave this way and under these circumstances. Suspended from coaching last year. The team banned from post season play and he wants a multi-year extension on his contract. Brown actually thinks that he has been doing a great job.

What were these kids thinking? What were their parents thinking? Why would a kid agree to go to Play for him? Kids would pick up the thought patterns and ethics of their coach.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Buckleyma For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (07-12-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 04:56 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buckleyma View Post
What were these kids thinking? What were their parents thinking? Why would a kid agree to go to Play for him? Kids would pick up the thought patterns and ethics of their coach.
Posted via Mobile Device
Larry Brown: " I know what it takes to get your son to the nba. I think he can be a star". Very simple sales pitch for larry brown
Old 07-11-2016, 05:05 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
Larry Brown: " I know what it takes to get your son to the nba. I think he can be a star". Very simple sales pitch for larry brown
While wearing his NBA and NCAA championship rings.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:51 PM
Major General

Well, well and well. You folks saw my comments about MR. LARRY BROWN earlier. I have been waiting for the dust to clear and for SMU to announce the inevitable name of the replacement. Brown leaves his team right during the July recruiting period. He leaves the players that he recruited in the lurch. Did I have ESP or something? He has a 6'11" and a 6'10" both top star recruits that he left standing there. Tim Jankovich takes over. He was the coach at Illinois State when Dayton played them.

Brown is 75 years old and wanted a long term contract extension. He doesn't get it and he storms off. This is classic Larry Brown to leave this way and under these circumstances. Suspended from coaching last year. The team banned from post season play and he wants a multi-year extension on his contract. Brown actually thinks that he has been doing a great job.
Posted via Mobile Device
At 75 years old, Larry was never a longterm plan. The longterm plan was always Tim Jankovich. In fact, SMU only agreed to hire Brown in the first place because Jankovich agreed to come with him as a coach in waiting. So there really wasn't any dust to settle as far as that was concerned. SMU announced that Jankovich would be the head coach according to plan nearly concurrent with the announcement that Brown would be leaving.

One of the interesting things about the situation that makes it all very unusual I think, is the rarity that a kid would actually know who would take over if his coach were to quit, be fired or drop dead, as SMU had it set up. So while kids who wanted to play for Brown are disappointed I am sure, they presumably had strong relationships with the rest of the staff. The reality of the matter is that these days, many kids don't get to play all four years for the coach they committed to out of high school.

Posted via Mobile Device
Those are all fair questions/criticisms, and I do wonder how much consideration they were given by recruits and their parents.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:00 PM
Major

While wearing his NBA and NCAA championship rings.
And then left his players with the Associate Head Coach that had already been named Coach in Waiting and was directly involved in their recruitment.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:59 PM
Major

FlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to behold
Can you guys start an SMU/Larry Brown thread?

Thanks!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerinChicago For This Totally Excellent Post:
224 (07-14-2016), Bat'71 (07-12-2016), david85 (07-11-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 09:03 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by FlyerinChicago View Post
Can you guys start an SMU/Larry Brown thread?

Thanks!
Point taken. However, I'd say the chances of there being anything on topic are awfully slim at this juncture.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:14 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
Point taken. However, I'd say the chances of there being anything on topic are awfully slim at this juncture.
On the 6th page of a thread, anything on topic is a rarity.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
david85 (07-12-2016), DGO67 (07-12-2016), FLYER5 (07-12-2016), rollo (07-12-2016)
Old 07-12-2016, 08:18 AM
General

At 75 years old, Larry was never a longterm plan. The longterm plan was always Tim Jankovich. In fact, SMU only agreed to hire Brown in the first place because Jankovich agreed to come with him as a coach in waiting. So there really wasn't any dust to settle as far as that was concerned. SMU announced that Jankovich would be the head coach according to plan nearly concurrent with the announcement that Brown would be leaving.

One of the interesting things about the situation that makes it all very unusual I think, is the rarity that a kid would actually know who would take over if his coach were to quit, be fired or drop dead, as SMU had it set up. So while kids who wanted to play for Brown are disappointed I am sure, they presumably had strong relationships with the rest of the staff. The reality of the matter is that these days, many kids don't get to play all four years for the coach they committed to out of high school.
Does it seem odd to you that a bunch of 4 star and 5 star recruits just COULDN'T WAIT to get the chance to play at a school with a mediocre basketball history who just got caught cheating (again) and play for a coach with a background coaching Illinois State? No disrespect to Jankovich who appears to be a good coach, but if you weren't DallasFlyer would that dog hunt?
Old 07-12-2016, 01:21 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
Does it seem odd to you that a bunch of 4 star and 5 star recruits just COULDN'T WAIT to get the chance to play at a school with a mediocre basketball history who just got caught cheating (again) and play for a coach with a background coaching Illinois State? No disrespect to Jankovich who appears to be a good coach, but if you weren't DallasFlyer would that dog hunt?
School A has a bunch of banners in the rafters to look at.
School B has really hot women to look at.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:57 AM
General

School A has a bunch of banners in the rafters to look at.
School B has really hot women to look at.
Methodist women are HOT.

OK point taken. But if that were the only consideration then UCLA would be national champs every year.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:07 AM
Colonel

Rollo, this your segway. This is where you jump in with some pictures. I am hoping.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-14-2016, 10:14 AM
Captain

31770 is a jewel in the rough31770 is a jewel in the rough31770 is a jewel in the rough
Godwin's Law:

Larry Brown is a Nazi...

I also bet Rollo has a little Hitler mustache
Old 07-14-2016, 10:22 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by 31770 View Post
Godwin's Law:

Larry Brown is a Nazi...

I also bet Rollo has a little Hitler mustache
Calling anyone a Nazi, let alone a Jewish guy, is rather despicable.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (07-14-2016), FLYER5 (07-14-2016), Sid Louick (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 10:52 AM
Captain

31770 is a jewel in the rough31770 is a jewel in the rough31770 is a jewel in the rough
Calling anyone a Nazi, let alone a Jewish guy, is rather despicable.
Yea, okay...

So you and Sid Louick have no idea what Godwin's law is and didn't understand my comment... or apparently try too...

just let you butt suck up your panties and tie them in knots...

but let's get back to the topic:

Who is sexier, Methodist women or banners in the rafters???
Old 07-14-2016, 11:26 AM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Yea, okay...

So you and Sid Louick have no idea what Godwin's law is and didn't understand my comment... or apparently try too...

I don't have an answer to your question but I just learned something new.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-14-2016, 12:10 PM
Major General

Yea, okay...

I understand Godwin's Theory that eventually internet discussions will devolve until they have so exhausted their usefulness that people will resort to name calling- commonly a reference to Nazis and/or Hitler. My point is that calling a Jewish man a Nazi or suggesting another poster fashions himself after Hitler (even in the name of making a point) is pretty awful. Another fun principle you might be aware of has been termed the online disinhibition effect, or in layman's terms: The Greater Internet Fu*%wad Theory. Unless you would would call a Jewish person a Nazi to his face, then you're just hiding behind internet anonymity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online...ibition_effect

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/greate...****wad-theory
Old 07-14-2016, 12:28 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Agreed, Dallas. Pretty low and sad even for this board. I dont give a **** what you quote, saying Rollo has a Hitler moustache is ridiculous and unacceptable.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:41 PM

Thanked 15,878 Times in 6,982 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Rollo, this your segway. This is where you jump in with some pictures. I am hoping.
Posted via Mobile Device
It would be a dereliction of my Royal duties to ignore this bait...enjoy!

Here are some SMU coeds on Spring Break...what could be better?!

224 (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 12:42 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Ah the mustache rides again....free I might add
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (07-14-2016), rollo (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 02:07 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Ah the mustache rides again....free I might add
I was thinking after 40 years (started as a UD freshman) of shaving mine but I definitely have to reconsider.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:08 PM

If Andrew White III is on Daytons radar, playing Nebraska next year would probably help our chances a little. It still comes down to if the guy can help us and fit into the TrueTeam and on his end if UD fits what he is looking for to help advance his NBA dream. But playing NE is one more plus for us in the hunt
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 02:48 PM
Brigadier General

DGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond repute
Don't know if this thread has been unbroken, but....

UD vs Nebraska
Port vs UCLA
NMex vs VTech
TA&M vs Cal St N

Go to Wooden Legacy (Twitter) for brackets.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:12 PM
Colonel

Here is a list of names from the transfer wire. This is my third installment. There is a new ESPN transfer list dated 07/20/16. I know nothing about these kids except what i read on the web. Some have academic issues, some injury issues, some criminal background issues and etc. But i like their size and some reasonable stats in high school, at least if not in college. Trey Kalina, Chattanooga, 7'0, 252 transfers to Coffeyville CC, Leon Bahner, San Diego State, 6'11", 255, Oumar Berry, DePaul, 6'10", 226, William Brooks, Texas Pan American, 7'0", 245, Davante Cooper, Bradley, 6'10", 216 transfers to Tyler CC, Neville Fincher, Tennesse State, failed academic to Kansas State, 6'10", 245, Trayvon Reed, Auburn, 7'2", 240, Jordan Tyson, St. Bonaventure, 6'10", 230 transfers to Georgia State, Osahen Iduwe , Georgia, 6'10" 245 transfers to Arkansas Fort Smith, Henry Uwadiae, 6'11" 240 Green Bay, Isaiah Robinson, 6'10" 215 Houston Baptist son of Cliff Robinson (NBA player), Nolan Berry, 6'10" 235 UC Davis also Butler, Nate Brown Bull, 7'1" 215 FIU, Christian Kennedy, 6'11" 202, Lamar and JUCO and Akolda Manyang, 7'0" 243, Oklahoma. Maybe these kids just need our Archie Miller to make a difference.

My point is with this ever changing list is that there is a lot of big guys out there to be recruited. Some of the guys that I researched off the transfer list don't sound too good even on paper, so i eliminated them from this list. But, still i keep finding a bunch of bigs that sound pretty good.

Its up to Archie and his staff to make the connections and the evaluations but I am shaking my head why we can't recruit a big (6'10" 240 or bigger). Honestly, until i started staring at this transfer list, i thought there just were no bigs available but this is not true.

This kid, Nate Brown Bull scored a quadruple double in high school. That's a statistical oddity. Clearly his opponents in South Dakota may not have been real capable. But still ....take a look....diamond in the rough?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2016, 08:50 AM

Andrew White III the grad transfer from NE has still not committed. Programs interested are Syracuse, VCU, Richmond and he's visiting Miami FL this week. Haven't heard Dayton but you never know. He is from Richmond VA. Speculation from some talking-heads is he wants to be the go-to offensive player. He visited Syracuse awhile ago but IF the speculation is correct it might explain why he is still looking. Also would not fit with UD IF it's correct. I thought the pro scouts said he needed to work on his defense??? Hope this young man is getting good advise from those around him helping him with this process.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (08-02-2016)
Old 09-03-2016, 01:46 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Andrew White III to Syracuse. He also considered VCU.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...range-transfer
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (09-03-2016)
Old 09-05-2016, 02:37 AM
Colonel

Here is a list of names from the transfer wire. This is my fourth installment. There is a new ESPN transfer list dated 09/01/16. I know nothing about these kids except what i read on the web. Some have academic issues, some injury issues, some criminal background issues and etc. But i like their size and some reasonable stats in high school, at least if not in college. Leon Bahner, San Diego State, 6'11", 255, Oumar Berry, DePaul, 6'10", 226 goes to Iowa Western, William Brooks, Texas Pan American, 7'0", 245 goes to Tyler CC, Davante Cooper, Bradley, 6'10", 216 transfers to Tyler CC, Neville Fincher, Tennesse State, failed academic to Kansas State, 6'10", 245 transfers to Southwest Oklahoma State, Trayvon Reed, Auburn, 7'2", 230, Henry Uwadiae, 6'11" 240 Green Bay, Isaiah Robinson, 6'10" 215 Houston Baptist son of Cliff Robinson (NBA player), Nolan Berry, 6'10" 235 UC Davis also Butler, Nate Brown Bull, 7'1" 215 FIU, Christian Kennedy, 6'11" 202, Lamar and JUCO and Akolda Manyang, 7'0" 243, Oklahoma. Maybe these kids just need our Archie Miller to make a difference.

My point is with this ever changing list is that there is a lot of big guys out there to be recruited. Some of the guys that I researched off the transfer list don't sound too good even on paper, so i eliminated them from this list. But, still i keep finding a bunch of bigs that sound pretty good.

Its up to Archie and his staff to make the connections and the evaluations but I am shaking my head why we can't recruit a big (6'10" 240 or bigger). Honestly, until i started staring at this transfer list, i thought there just were no bigs available but this is not true.

This kid, Nate Brown Bull scored a quadruple double in high school. That's a statistical oddity. Clearly his opponents in South Dakota may not have been real capable. But still ....take a look....diamond in the rough?

What is going on at Tyler CC? Two of these kids are going to transfer to this same community college? There must be a story here? One of those kids went to school with our player, Josh Cunningham!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2016, 02:56 AM

We just landed Jordan Pierce...he is at least 6'10", maybe 6'11" or 7'...weighs 245 per Scout and Rivals.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:07 PM
Colonel

[QUOTE=ud2;463710]We just landed Jordan Pierce...he is at least 6'10", maybe 6'11" or 7'...weighs 245 per Scout and Rivals.

I know but as i have mentioned before. We always need two players at every position. We need succession planning. Every position needs a starter and an understudy. Every position needs a practice buddy. It should be next man up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2016, 01:01 PM
General

Thanked 2,811 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Here is a list of names from the transfer wire. This is my fourth installment. There is a new ESPN transfer list dated 09/01/16. I know nothing about these kids except what i read on the web. Some have academic issues, some injury issues, some criminal background issues and etc. But i like their size and some reasonable stats in high school, at least if not in college. Leon Bahner, San Diego State, 6'11", 255, Oumar Berry, DePaul, 6'10", 226 goes to Iowa Western, William Brooks, Texas Pan American, 7'0", 245 goes to Tyler CC, Davante Cooper, Bradley, 6'10", 216 transfers to Tyler CC, Neville Fincher, Tennesse State, failed academic to Kansas State, 6'10", 245 transfers to Southwest Oklahoma State, Trayvon Reed, Auburn, 7'2", 230, Henry Uwadiae, 6'11" 240 Green Bay, Isaiah Robinson, 6'10" 215 Houston Baptist son of Cliff Robinson (NBA player), Nolan Berry, 6'10" 235 UC Davis also Butler, Nate Brown Bull, 7'1" 215 FIU, Christian Kennedy, 6'11" 202, Lamar and JUCO and Akolda Manyang, 7'0" 243, Oklahoma. Maybe these kids just need our Archie Miller to make a difference.

What is going on at Tyler CC? Two of these kids are going to transfer to this same community college? There must be a story here? One of those kids went to school with our player, Josh Cunningham!
Posted via Mobile Device
Nate Brown Bull!!!!!!!!!! That would knock Scoochie off the top of the cool names list! That is right up there with two of the great names from college football - Jarvis Redwine and Sonny Sixkiller!
Old 09-05-2016, 01:19 PM
Lieutenant General

[QUOTE=Buckleyma;463724]
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
We just landed Jordan Pierce...he is at least 6'10", maybe 6'11" or 7'...weighs 245 per Scout and Rivals.

I know but as i have mentioned before. We always need two players at every position. We need succession planning. Every position needs a starter and an understudy. Every position needs a practice buddy. It should be next man up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Like AM doesn't have a plan for this.
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (09-05-2016)
Old 09-05-2016, 02:55 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=Buckleyma;463724]
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
That's easier said than done, especially with big men. Most recruits today want to come into a program and have a chance to play right away. They don't want to hear that they're going to be an "understudy" for two or three years. If we still had Big Steve who knows whether we still would have landed Pierce. Probably not.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:20 PM
Colonel

Longtimefan, as always, you make good points. I agree. When your a gifted 6'10" or bigger, you have a lot of options. You want to play NOW. You want an individual position coach. You want... You want... You can get it, too. That's why i am pointing to the transfer list. These retreads have goofed up or someone goofed up their lives/choices for them. These are the kids ( they think they are all grown up but they are not) who Archie can help. Look to this transfer 7 footer from Oklahoma. Couldn't Archie turn that guy into something better?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2016, 03:34 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,858 Times in 719 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe, but Lon Kruger's a pretty great coach, and probably has a good staff. If they can't get him to that level, I'd be uncertain he could ever reach that level with any coaching.

Maybe a step down from the B12 to the A10 and he could compete.

Maybe there's another player taking minutes from him and he's never fully developed.

Maybe, maybe, maybe. But one thing is certain: Archie and his staff have earned our trust and the benefit of the doubt for a long time. I'm quite certain they've reviewed all the available transfers this and every year. After all, they've had pretty good success so far with transfers!

That they've decided to pass on transfers this year (notwithstanding ones they've offered who went elsewhere) tells me all I need to know.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:45 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not sure I'd count the transfers out yet. If we get McKinley Wright we are playing with house money. Our current underclassmen plus Kostas, Landers, Pierce, Wright and an eligible 2017 transfer (have sat out the coming 2016 season) might be a fit at selective positions.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:24 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
These retreads have goofed up or someone goofed up their lives/choices for them. These are the kids ( they think they are all grown up but they are not) who Archie can help. Look to this transfer 7 footer from Oklahoma. Couldn't Archie turn that guy into something better?
Posted via Mobile Device
He's 23 and facing felony charges in two different states.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:30 PM
Colonel

[QUOTE=bcross;463744]He's 23 and facing felony charges in two different states.

Yep, looks like he punched an OU football player and broke two of his teeth out. Hmmmm.....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2016, 09:31 PM
General

Thanked 2,811 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=Buckleyma;463745]
Originally Posted by bcross View Post
He's 23 and facing felony charges in two different states.

Yep, looks like he punched an OU football player and broke two of his teeth out. Hmmmm.....
Posted via Mobile Device
Sounds like a prime Eggzavier recruit!!!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (09-06-2016), jack72 (09-06-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 09:07 AM
Colonel

Goal: Get a BIG for this year. That is what i want to talk about! You folks correct me if i got something wrong below.

Facts: Archie has one scholarship left for this year. Archie has used up 3 of the 5 scholarships that he had for next year. School has already started.

Impacts: it is too late to fill the open scholarship for the non-conference schedule. The roster is set.

Potential: it is not too late to bring in a transfer for January. I believe this is correct? I don't know what is the cut-off date? A kid who has already graduated academically but has a year or more of eligibility could start in January. I believe this is correct? A kid who was dismissed or released from his scholarship by the school, not on his own request, could start without sitting out one year. I believe this to be correct? I think these are the two options left to get a BIG for this season. Is this correct? Otherwise, we go through another season without a CENTER on this team. Is this correct?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-14-2016, 09:21 AM
Major General

Goal: Get a BIG for this year. That is what i want to talk about! You folks correct me if i got something wrong below.

Facts: Archie has one scholarship left for this year. Archie has used up 3 of the 5 scholarships that he had for next year. School has already started.

Impacts: it is too late to fill the open scholarship for the non-conference schedule. The roster is set.

Potential: it is not too late to bring in a transfer for January. I believe this is correct? I don't know what is the cut-off date? A kid who has already graduated academically but has a year or more of eligibility could start in January. I believe this is correct? A kid who was dismissed or released from his scholarship by the school, not on his own request, could start without sitting out one year. I believe this to be correct? I think these are the two options left to get a BIG for this season. Is this correct? Otherwise, we go through another season without a CENTER on this team. Is this correct?
Posted via Mobile Device
Any transfer that is brought in now would have to sit until next January because of where we are in the academic cycle I believe. The only exception would be a grad transfer, and they would have to sit until the end of this semester.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:32 AM

UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Any transfer that is brought in now would have to sit until next January because of where we are in the academic cycle I believe. The only exception would be a grad transfer, and they would have to sit until the end of this semester.
Beyond the eligibility, there aren't exactly bigs suddenly on the market to play in January 2017 (and I don't think they would be eligible until the semester starts, which last year was after about 4 or 5 conference games).

The roster for this year is what it is now, except for possible additional walkons.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:08 AM
Colonel

[QUOTE=m21eagle45;464539]Any transfer that is brought in now would have to sit until next January because of where we are in the academic cycle I believe. The only exception would be a grad transfer, and they would have to sit until the end of this semester.

M21eagle45: Thank you for being kind enough to answer my question. Please consider clarifying. Do i read you correctly? A transfer for no matter what reason, at this point in time (unless a grad student) must sit out until January 2018? When you say "next January"? I guess what i mean is after 4 or 5 non-conference games? Or like what we saw with Dyshawn Pierre? The exact date would be around December 23 2017 or some such after the last class of the academic year?

If this is the case then maybe i shouldn't keep looking at the ESPN Transfer list with all the names of BIGS? That would mean that, as of this date meaning after school has started, these guys can't help for one full season plus almost half a season. Oh my goodness! Then transfers are not the answer for this season unless they have already graduated academically. The transfer list is kind of mute. Its faster to just get a recruit from high school at this point? Have i got this correct?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-14-2016, 11:29 AM

With very few exceptions, anyone on a current transfer list that is not a grad transfer won't be able to play this year.

They have to sit out a year. At the earliest they would be available to start next season, and with missing this semester at UD they might not be eligible until either first semester of 17/18 ends or the second semester starts.

I'm not sure if any remaining grad transfers would be eligible before second semester starts this year.

Someone with family issues (like a parent with cancer) might be able to transfer and be eligible this year, but not until first semester ends and possibly not until second semester starts.

There is little reason to look at who is still on the list. They would not be able to practice or work out with the team as they are not enrolled in school for this semester. Expecting someone to come into the system without ever having played in it and without practicing for months just isn't going to materialize.

Last edited by UDDoug; 09-14-2016 at 11:34 AM..
Old 09-14-2016, 12:08 PM
Major General

[QUOTE=Buckleyma;464552]

M21eagle45: Thank you for being kind enough to answer my question. Please consider clarifying. Do i read you correctly? A transfer for no matter what reason, at this point in time (unless a grad student) must sit out until January 2018? When you say "next January"? I guess what i mean is after 4 or 5 non-conference games? Or like what we saw with Dyshawn Pierre? The exact date would be around December 23 2017 or some such after the last class of the academic year?

If this is the case then maybe i shouldn't keep looking at the ESPN Transfer list with all the names of BIGS? That would mean that, as of this date meaning after school has started, these guys can't help for one full season plus almost half a season. Oh my goodness! Then transfers are not the answer for this season unless they have already graduated academically. The transfer list is kind of mute. Its faster to just get a recruit from high school at this point? Have i got this correct?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, I double checked with my coaching friends. Any transfer that is not a grad transfer would not be able to play until the end of the first semester next year. The only exceptions would be a medical hardship or if he has an NCAA approved waiver.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:34 PM
Colonel

[QUOTE=m21eagle45;464577][QUOTE=Buckleyma;464552]

Yes, I double checked with my coaching friends. Any transfer that is not a grad transfer would not be able to play until the end of the first semester next year. The only exceptions would be a medical hardship or if he has an NCAA approved waiver.

M21eagle45: thank you for the explanation. This makes the decision by the student very important as the transfer line is periously and ploddingly slow. This explains why i saw many players, even reasonably good 7 footers dropping from D1 schools to lower levels so they can avoid this year or nearly year and a half sit out. They can play the very next year if they drop a level. This also explains why a D1 school would only take a chance and wait that long on a player; if the player is a bonafide starter or near starter. That kid who would wind up as the 7th man on the squad, won't get picked up unless there is some other factor. Again, the process is set up to make it really hard for the kid.

This makes the whole Rogers story so strange? Archie must have been convinced that Rogers was a starter or else he wouldn't have been willing to wait so long on him.

This also fits into the conversation about if the kids are getting taken advantage of by the system.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-14-2016, 01:54 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
Rogers was a JUCO so he was immediately eligible. Archie didn't want to wait. Injuries/Grades made that decision for him.

Last edited by bcross; 09-14-2016 at 01:56 PM..