UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball > Archived Seasonal Game Threads > 2008-2009 Game Threads

2008-2009 Game Threads Specific threads dedicated to each home and away game for UD Men's Basketball.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-23-2008, 11:20 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by masonflyer View Post
I noticed that every time he gets the ball down low the crowd gets real loud. Are they all yelling for him to pass the ball?
I think they want him to be aggressive and take it strong to the basket
Advertisement
Old 12-23-2008, 11:28 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
felt bad for Kurt, he made a couple of beautiful moves but could not finish ... the last drop stop was a classic post move, if he would have used his left hand he would likely have made the layup.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:27 AM

Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,074 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
Kurt was a big part of holding them scoreless for over 9 minutes. There were two possessions in a row where he defended beautifully and a turnover resulted. Another time there was a rebound and he just pushed back that huge #53 and made a big space and a Flyer got the rebound.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:13 AM
Major

flyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tirebiter View Post
Good win - Marshall is no creampuff. My only comment is that I think it looks like our best offense is the wide open spread four corners - get a good fifteen feet of space between each player and then let one of our incredible athletes loose on an open spaced one on one. When we were trying to milk the clock that way tonght we seemed unstoppable.

Great step forward for the team - I think this schedule may make sense after all - gearing up for league play with increasingly better opponents - I see 27-4 a realistic finish. This year is way fun!
27-4??!!

Have you seen this team play?

I am thinking more along the lines of 22-9 or something. This team plays extremely hard and I love to watch them....but for them to lose only 4 games they will have to do a complete 180 on the offensive end!
Old 12-24-2008, 09:19 AM
1st Lieutenant

Trinity is on a distinguished road
DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS! I know it's a cliche, but it's a reality. Shooting comes and goes. If the effort is there, defense always shows up.

I think people get frustrated because of the poor shooting. Offense is fancy. Offense is fun to watch. Offense gets you on SportsCenter. It's harder to appreciate the defense that this team brings on a regular basis. I would like better shooting too, but the reality is that this team is going to win ugly a lot of times.

Last edited by Trinity; 12-24-2008 at 09:22 AM..
Old 12-24-2008, 01:59 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyerfan4life View Post
27-4??!!

Have you seen this team play?

I am thinking more along the lines of 22-9 or something. This team plays extremely hard and I love to watch them....but for them to lose only 4 games they will have to do a complete 180 on the offensive end!
Not so. The defense in the last 12 minutes was awesome to watch. The Herd had TWO field goals in the last 12 minutes and one was a game ending "ho-hum it's over" heave.

UD is actually working on spacing, post entry, big-to-big passes, kick-outs, and a number of other offensive aids. The issue is that we have not proven we can shoot the jumpshot or the 3 pointer when we are open. You think BG and staff haven't noticed that in practice. Our rebounding is ferocious and our defense is smothering. We can could go 27-4 or 26-5 with what we have now. And if our work on offense pays of so much the better.

Last edited by San Diego Flyer; 12-24-2008 at 04:13 PM..
Old 12-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Major

flyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
Not so. The defense in the last 12 minutes was awesome to watch. The Herd had TWO field goals in the last 12 minutes and one was a game ending "ho-hum it's over" heave.

UD is actually working on spacing, post entry, big-to-big passes, kick-outs, and a number of other offensive aids. The issue is that we have not proven we can shoot the jumpshot or the 3 pointer when we are open. You think BG and staff haven't noticed that in practice. Our rebounding is ferocious and our defense is smothering. We can could go 27-4 or 26-5 with what we have now. And if our work on offense pays of so much the better.
I agree that our D and rebounding are impressive...HOWEVER what we don't realize is that we've really only played 2 legit teams. Marquette and Creighton. One where we played extremely well...and the other which was a true road game where we got smoked. There are a lot of very solid teams in the A10 this season and I just don't see us only losing 3 or 4 of those games on the road. UNLESS we drastically improve offensively. We have to remember....the games where we have been holding teams to 50 points are against very weak teams. Our D was still impressive against Marquette but we still gave up in the 70's against them....as well as Creighton. Against the good teams...ONLY defense won't get it done.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:37 PM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I think your points are well taken. We have been tested by very few top tier A10 caliber teams. I think the last 4 games of ooc will give us some clue as to our offensive progression. But we are dealing here with a lot of uncharted water. The next 10 games will tell us a lot more than the first 10.

Still, armed with only our defense, you and I will have to amicably disagree on 9 losses. I don't think we will lose 9 games playing just like last night unless we have an injury or two. And that means only taking 10 threes or less.

How many of us really thought we would be 11-1 without Roberts?
Old 12-24-2008, 07:56 PM

Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,074 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
I think your points are well taken. We have been tested by very few top tier A10 caliber teams. I think the last 4 games of ooc will give us some clue as to our offensive progression. But we are dealing here with a lot of uncharted water. The next 10 games will tell us a lot more than the first 10.

Still, armed with only our defense, you and I will have to amicably disagree on 9 losses. I don't think we will lose 9 games playing just like last night unless we have an injury or two. And that means only taking 10 threes or less.

How many of us really thought we would be 11-1 without Roberts?
I think this team would wipe the floor with last year's team. Going into to the season I would have scoffed at that idea.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by UDEE79 View Post
I think this team would wipe the floor with last year's team. Going into to the season I would have scoffed at that idea.
You were not alone in those thoughts. I recall some pretty candid doomsday prognostications near the end of Robert's career re this year's squad. Think about it though, subtract JB and add CW. Add 5 starters a year older and wiser. Mix in a bunch of athletic Freshmen for spot duty. Add a better sense of team defense = 11-1. (ok, I know what someone's thinking, mix in an easier ooc)

Of course those neyseyers were correct about our offense so far.