UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > STEVEN E. YUHAS MEMORIAL LOUNGE > Off-Topic Gibberish

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 05-19-2017, 01:33 PM
Major

Gem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant future
ESPN’s Decline and Possible Collapse

As many of you have heard and read, ESPN is in a complete free fall. They are losing money and subscribers hand over fist. (They just dumped $100 million in on-air talent) There are several reasons why this is happening but one of the reasons is that ESPN’s decision to push a liberal view point. In doing so, ESPN has totally misread their audience’s tastes and opinions. The average sports fan that is and was the core consumer of sports television, generally speaking leans more conservative. The average Joe sports fan’s views and opinions (ie ESPN’s target market) are more likely aligned with Clay Travis of Fox Sports than that of Bomani Jones of ESPN. Yet, ESPN seems to be hell bent on shoving the views of Bomani Jones down our collective throats regardless if their core audience agrees with him or not. If you have watched ESPN over the last few years, you are aware of this shift in ESPN’s liberal activism. Colin Kaepernick is compared to Muhammed Ali as the social change agent of our time. Bruce/Caityn Jenner is celebrated as some kind of American hero. The greatest crises facing sports today is the Washington Redskins and Cleveland Indians mascots. (gun control, title IX, concussions, Duke and Baylor rape cases, collage athletes should be paid, one and done is great ….etc….etc….. etc….)

Look, you might agree with those stories and points of view, but really that’s not my point. The point is that the average Joe who turns into ESPN is doing so as an escape. Sports is the desert of our lives. We tune in to escape from the stress of our day to day lives just for an a few hours. The last thing we want is to be lectured by some 1%’er from New England about the virtues gender identity. Look man, save it for MSNBC. I just want to see LeBron try and beat the Warriors. That’s it. You can debate social justice at another time and another place. Yet, the reality is that ESPN seems to have decided to double down on their sports activism just by looking at the talent they let go and who they decided to retain. The dramatic decline of ESPN’s influence on college sports was totally unthinkable just a few short years ago but yet here we are none the less.

Where am I going with this you might ask? What does all this mean to us fans and to UD basketball in general you might ask? Well, it has become very apparent to me that ESPN has lost, and will continue to lose, it’s power and influence over college athletics. (period) Millennials are disconnecting from cable TV in droves in favor of more online options like Netflixs. (which are significantly cheaper by the way) The way we consume sports entertainment in the future will dramatically change over the next decade and I actually think the changes that are coming will benefit programs like UD with our strong built in fan base/ audience. Let’s face it, ESPN’s gravy train may have officially come to an end.

I hope our friends in the Big East have saved their pennies because never again will a cable network shell out the kind of Benjamin’s that Fox1 did for that TV deal. That revenue model will dry up not unlike the newspaper business. Being in a large market will no longer be that huge advantage that it is today. Yes, Xavier, Georgetown, Seaton Hall and DePaul have the advantage of being in a larger TV market with potentially more viewership but when you are no longer forced to purchase their games with your cable package is it really going to be that big of an advantage? Consumers in the future will just go online to watch or “pay” for the games they want to see. Just because you live in Chicago, you won’t be forced to “buy” a meaningless DePaul vs Providence game on a Tuesday night in February. With online viewing you’ll only pay for the game you want to watch. This is where UD’s fan base will be a huge advantage in the future. The fact is UD fans will “buy” that meaningless February game played in Olean on a Tuesday night and it won’t matter if that UD fan is in New York, Houston, or Zanesville. The demand and willingness to purchase UD basketball games is greater than just about any program in the Big East. Period…

Look, if I was commissioner of the A-10 for day, I would be looking to get out ahead of the curve now. It’s a fact that organizations like Netflix are desperate for online ORIGINAL content. You want to be ahead of the curve and truly be the first nail in the coffin of the cable sports monopoly? You get Netflix on the phone tomorrow and you pitch the idea of Netflix Sports with their first real product being A-10 basketball games.

Last edited by Gem City; 05-19-2017 at 03:38 PM..
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gem City For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (05-19-2017), Bonziflyer (05-19-2017), BRob2Perryman3 (05-19-2017), Dillomernda (05-19-2017), FIFO28 (05-22-2017), Flyer14 (05-19-2017), jack72 (05-19-2017), TXFlyerFan (05-19-2017)
Advertisement
Old 05-19-2017, 01:46 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Flyers98 has much to be proud ofFlyers98 has much to be proud ofFlyers98 has much to be proud ofFlyers98 has much to be proud ofFlyers98 has much to be proud ofFlyers98 has much to be proud ofFlyers98 has much to be proud ofFlyers98 has much to be proud ofFlyers98 has much to be proud ofFlyers98 has much to be proud of
I don't think it was the liberal lean, (although I agree there is one), rather it was failing to realize that people tuned in to watch sports, not to watch former athletes and on air personalities argue about social issues. People watch sports and other forms of entertainment to get away from all the BS in the real world. Whether that be perceived injustices or the constant droning about perceived injustices, sport is/was a respite.

The last thing I want to see when I come home from work and put Sports Center on is some guy who, because he can put a ball through a hoop and gets to be a multi, multi millionaire, thinks he needs to speak out about trans-gender bathrooms. Sure he has the right to his opinion but there are 40 other channels where I can listen to clowns, (most of whom are at least better informed), tell me what is wrong with the world and how to fix it. It is at that point that I exercise my right to change the channel.

Last edited by Flyers98; 05-19-2017 at 05:43 PM..
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyers98 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (05-19-2017), ClevelandFlyer05 (05-20-2017), DallasFlyer (05-19-2017), SoTier Flyer (05-21-2017), wes (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 01:58 PM

Thanked 1,487 Times in 644 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
I remember when ESPN used to show live sports and highlights just like I remember when MTV showed music videos and HBO showed movies.
BRob2Perryman3 (05-19-2017), C-time (05-19-2017), CJ2etc (05-20-2017), ClaytonFlyerFan (05-19-2017), CT Flyer (05-22-2017), FIFO28 (05-22-2017), jack72 (05-19-2017), Runnin' Rebel (05-19-2017), superfan99 (05-22-2017), TheDuke2003 (05-19-2017), UDGutter2 (05-19-2017), wes (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 02:04 PM
1st Lieutenant

MDFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMDFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMDFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMDFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMDFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMDFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMDFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMDFlyer is a splendid one to behold
The reason for this is simple: ESPN doesn't create much original programming (30 for 30 if the only real exception). Cable providers are dying rapidly and ESPN is tied to them. ESPN and cable companies haven't adjusted fast enough to technology. Open and shut case. Cya, ESPN.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MDFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (05-19-2017), Flyer 86 (05-20-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 02:12 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,456 Times in 1,234 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
This has been hashed over in several threads here.

While I agree that the politics play a role, and the biggest issue is the number of people cutting the cord, one other huge factor is that there just is no need for a sportscenter type program anymore. If you want to see highlights of your favorite team, odds are they were on TV somewhere the night prior and you've already caught the highlights. If not, they may have been sent to your phone or email. Want some "eye popping" highlights from teams you don't typically follow, you can get those on the web minutes after they happen.

There will always be a market for live sporting events, for which ESPN has probably over paid for content. However, the 30 min or 1 hour live programming that you would sit thru to catch a few glimpses of your favorite team, a top 10 near the end and a little bit of commentary in the middle has long gone wayward. Similar to MTV, there is no need for MTV to show videos, few are going to sit thru an hour of songs they don't care about just to catch the 1 song they really want to see, they're just going to call up youtube and watch it as many times as they like.

Much like newspapers, technology is killing their golden goose. There is a reason why Fox News, MSNBC and CNN put commentary, opinion driven shows on in prime time. You can get the news anytime you like, but its the opinions of Rachel Maddow, Hannitary, O'Reilly, and Blitzer that you tune in for on a nightly basis. You already "know" the news, you want their diagnoses of the news.

Last edited by Medford; 05-19-2017 at 02:14 PM..
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (05-19-2017), Flyer 86 (05-20-2017), flyer016 (05-19-2017), MDFlyer (05-19-2017), wes (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 02:13 PM
Just off the Jet

UdGrad2009 will become famous soon enoughUdGrad2009 will become famous soon enough
ESPN is definitely in financial ruins and it will change how future tv deals are done but I do not see it going away at all. In the end, ESPN will begin to offer a streaming APP where you can subscribe to their networks for a flate monthly rate. That will be the route many networks will go to. In the end, the major conferences will still generate more money than the A-10 or other conferences, so they will still get a much greater tv deal than smaller conferences.

I do not forsee any real changes, except for how ESPN, Fox and the others distribute their networks. The truth is, ESPN and Fox Sports are already on many of the largest streaming services. The problem is the Nielson Ratings have yet to be able to accurately compile ratings that include streaming. Once that happens, you will see many networks rebound with their streaming numbers helping their positions with advertisers and increasing their revenue from the streaming services.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:21 PM

Thanked 5,892 Times in 2,806 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
The money is not going to be there ... in any sport (ok maybe football). But the never ending upward mobility in rights fees is coming to an end. ESPN will be losing money for the next 6 - 8 years.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:41 PM

Thanked 2,061 Times in 999 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gem City View Post
As many of you have heard and read, ESPN is in a complete free fall. They are losing money and subscribers hand over fist. (They just dumped $100 million in on-air talent) There are several reason why this is happening but one of the reasons is that ESPN’s decision to push a liberal view point. In doing so, ESPN has totally misread their audience’s tastes and opinions. The average sports fan that is and was the core consumer of sports television, generally speaking leans more conservative. The average Joe sports fan’s views and opinions (ie ESPN’s target market) are more likely aligned with Clay Travis of Fox Sports than that of Bomani Jones of ESPN. Yet, ESPN seems to be hell bent on shoving the views of Bomani Jones down our collective throats regardless if their core audience agrees with him or not. If you have watched ESPN over the last few years, you are aware of this shift in ESPN’s liberal activism. Colin Kaepernick is compared to Muhammed Ali as the social change agent of our time. Bruce/Caityn Jenner is celebrated as some kind of American hero. The greatest crises facing sports today is the Washington Redskins and Cleveland Indians mascots. (gun control, title IX, concussions, Duke and Baylor rape cases, collage athletes should be paid, one and done is great ….etc….etc….. etc….)

Look, you might agree with those stories and points of view, but really that’s not my point. The point is that the average Joe who turns into ESPN is doing so as an escape. Sports is the desert of our lives. We tune in to escape from the stress of our day to day lives just for an a few hours. The last thing we want is to be lectured by some 1%’er from New England about the virtues gender identity. Look man, save it for MSNBC. I just want to see LeBron try and beat the Warriors. That’s it. You can debate social justice at another time and another place. Yet, the reality is that ESPN seems to have decided to double down on their sports activism just by looking at the talent they let go and who they decided to retain. The dramatic decline of ESPN’s influence on college sports was totally unthinkable just a few short years ago but yet here we are none the less.

Where am I going with this you might ask? What does all this mean to us fans and to UD basketball in general you might ask? Well, it has become very apparent to me that ESPN has lost, and will continue to loss, it’s power and influence over college athletics. (period) Millennials are disconnecting from cable TV in droves in favor of more online options like Netflixs. (which are significantly cheaper by the way) The way we consume sports entertainment in the future will dramatically change over the next decade and I actually think the changes that are coming will benefit programs like UD with our strong built in fan base/ audience. Let’s face it, ESPN’s gravy train may have officially come to an end.

I hope our friends in the Big East have saved their pennies because never again will a cable network shell out the kind of Benjamin’s that Fox1 did for that TV deal. That revenue model will dry up not unlike the newspaper business. Being in a large market will no longer be that huge advantage that it is today. Yes, Xavier, Georgetown, Seaton Hall and DePaul have the advantage of being in a larger TV market with potentially more viewership but when you are no longer forced to purchase their games with your cable package is it really going to be that big of an advantage? Consumers in the future will just go online to watch or “pay” for the games they want to see. Just because you live in Chicago, you won’t be forced to “buy” a meaningless DePaul vs Providence game on a Tuesday night in February. With online viewing you’ll only pay for the game you want to watch. This is where UD’s fan base will be a huge advantage in the future. The fact is UD fans will “buy” that meaningless February game played in Olean on a Tuesday night and it won’t matter if that UD fan is in New York, Houston, or Zanesville. The demand and willingness to purchase UD basketball games is greater than just about any program in the Big East. Period…

Look, if I was commissioner of the A-10 for day, I would be looking to get out ahead of the curve now. It’s a fact that organizations like Netflix are desperate for online ORIGINAL content. You want to be ahead of the curve and truly be the first nail in the coffin of the cable sports monopoly? You get Netflix on the phone tomorrow and you pitch the idea of Netflix Sports with their first real product being A-10 basketball games.

Green pip for you. Many people in my circle stopped watching ESPN period. Even Monday Night football. When the ESPY Courage award was given to Caitlyn Jenner more bailed. I would have respected her more if she declined it and gave it to someone deserving. I bailed when they covered the Women's Marches. If you think for a second that the liberal politics are not responsible for the tank job I believe you are misinformed. The highlight shows are extinct and that doesn't help either.

If I turn on ESPN I want sports highlights or sports talk. I do not want to watch a 6 o'clock SportsCenter (Variety show) I don't want to see coverage of anti-Trump marches and I don't want to see people losing their minds over a criminal making a very poor choice and being shot by a cop.

Most importantly I don't need to hear people like Bomani Jones,Keith Olbermann,Michelle Beadle,Jemele Hill and their like lecturing me on liberal bull$hit.

Liberal leaning? More like Liberal. It'll be the death of them and they deserve it.
Gazoo (05-20-2017), hawkoooo (05-19-2017), rollo (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 02:53 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,861 Times in 877 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
The greatest crises facing sports today is the Washington Redskins and Cleveland Indians mascots. (gun control, title IX, concussions, Duke and Baylor rape cases, collage athletes should be paid, one and done is great ….etc….etc….. etc….)
So what's your point about the Baylor rape cases again? Are we defending those now, just out of knee-jerk principle or something?
Old 05-19-2017, 03:14 PM
Major

Gem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by priceg75 View Post
So what's your point about the Baylor rape cases again? Are we defending those now, just out of knee-jerk principle or something?
Yes, I'm defending rape. 🤔 Uh, that was sarcasm by the way.

Seriously, what part of sports being an escape did you not understand? I'm not condoning anything but ESPN will use such stories to brow beat their agenda.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-19-2017, 03:25 PM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Umm, did this thread just crawl out of off topic? I tune in to watch sports on ESPN but don't have cable, so the TV is never just on rambling away. Agree with MDFlyer, the sports networks need to figure out how to get into houses without being tied to Cable or dish type networks. HBO has done it, so should they.

But I agree with you all, sports should be sports, it's an escape from politics, kind of like the UDPride Basketball forum should be about UD basketball.
Mad Props to NorthwestFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (05-22-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 03:39 PM
Major

mikeymo85 is a splendid one to beholdmikeymo85 is a splendid one to beholdmikeymo85 is a splendid one to beholdmikeymo85 is a splendid one to beholdmikeymo85 is a splendid one to beholdmikeymo85 is a splendid one to beholdmikeymo85 is a splendid one to behold
if ESPN losses it's power, can we go back to Saturday night Flyer games?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to mikeymo85 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (05-19-2017), MrFlyerFanatic (05-22-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 03:41 PM
Major

TheDuke2003 is a jewel in the roughTheDuke2003 is a jewel in the roughTheDuke2003 is a jewel in the rough
I've stopped using ESPN's website and only watch their channel for a live sporting event I can't see anywhere else that I want to see. I'd love to have Sportscenter on in the background while I'm doing stuff around the house if it was the Sportscenter of old, where they showed highlights from every game in the big sports. I don't care about the one legged transgender rower from New Jersey who gets a 15 minute profile on Sportscenter because "it's important".

I tune in, or at least I used to, for sports highlights, and maybe a brief analysis of the game before moving onto the next one. I liked having a good overview of the major sports and how the good players on the bad teams were doing. Unless you're one of the top 5-10 players they talk about in any given sport, viewers have no idea who anyone is, because they never show them. I remember back in the late 90's/early 2000's when they stopped showing highlights from all the games and they'd just flash the score with a few relevant stats for half of them. Then they stopped showing those. Now, unless it's the main story, it doesn't even get mentioned.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:52 PM
Major General

Thanked 4,150 Times in 1,637 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MrFlyerFanatic View Post
I remember when ESPN used to show live sports and highlights just like I remember when MTV showed music videos and HBO showed movies.
Was that back when The Weather Channel had the weather on, instead of anchors and shows that talk about Global Warming, Climate Change, or whatever todays buzz phrase is?
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (05-22-2017), IAFlyer (05-19-2017), MrFlyerFanatic (05-22-2017), rollo (05-19-2017), TerryK_67 (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 03:56 PM
Colonel

hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 View Post
Green pip for you. Many people in my circle stopped watching ESPN period. Even Monday Night football. When the ESPY Courage award was given to Caitlyn Jenner more bailed. I would have respected her more if she declined it and gave it to someone deserving. I bailed when they covered the Women's Marches. If you think for a second that the liberal politics are not responsible for the tank job I believe you are misinformed. The highlight shows are extinct and that doesn't help either.

If I turn on ESPN I want sports highlights or sports talk. I do not want to watch a 6 o'clock SportsCenter (Variety show) I don't want to see coverage of anti-Trump marches and I don't want to see people losing their minds over a criminal making a very poor choice and being shot by a cop.

Most importantly I don't need to hear people like Bomani Jones,Keith Olbermann,Michelle Beadle,Jemele Hill and their like lecturing me on liberal bull$hit.

Liberal leaning? More like Liberal. It'll be the death of them and they deserve it.
Spot on my friend. I stopped watching ESPN altogether unless watching an actual game. I used to watch SC, PTI, Around the Horn, all those shows. Now none.

They are owned by the MSM so I am not surprised, but it wasn't always this way. There was a time they stuck to sports.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:04 PM
1st Lieutenant

sabo2 is a glorious beacon of lightsabo2 is a glorious beacon of lightsabo2 is a glorious beacon of lightsabo2 is a glorious beacon of lightsabo2 is a glorious beacon of light
I do not watch any shows on ESPN. I get my flyers games on DIRECTV or streaming. So, when I read the opening screed of this subject, I wondered as to how this would tie in with UD basketball. I guess it doesn't. Since this is not basketball or UD related, my comment would be thus: " We see things not as they are; but as we are."
Old 05-19-2017, 04:11 PM
Major

Originally Posted by sabo2 View Post
I do not watch any shows on ESPN. I get my flyers games on DIRECTV or streaming. So, when I read the opening screed of this subject, I wondered as to how this would tie in with UD basketball. I guess it doesn't. Since this is not basketball or UD related, my comment would be thus: " We see things not as they are; but as we are."
I think I clearly stated how an ESPN's declining influence may effect UD.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-19-2017, 04:11 PM
Captain

Bucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond repute
The liberal bias as a reason for the ESPN's decline is just a boogey man pushed by conservative media.

ESPN is getting crushed by a combination of cord cutting and their own avarice. ESPN has always had irritants. I'm not saying they haven't shifted more liberal. Whether it is called more diverse or more liberal probably has more to do with the leanings of the person making the claim than anything. The shift is clearly further left. However, the ball was already rolling. I just think the shift was more effect than cause.

Cord cutting has nothing to do with liberal bias. I would think that tech savvy, young cord cutters probably lean more left. The switch to combative debate in place of highlights and in depth coverage had already occurred. The gouging of providers had already occurred. The often insufferable shifts that occurred most recently are a result of failed decisions to overcome some of those issues. ESPN cares about profit. If they thought for a minute that their long term issues would be fixed by hiring Bill O'Reilly to sexually harass women while showing highlights, Bomani would be looking for work.

Some of their issues are simply evolution of entertainment; many are self made. Reportedly, the (more left leaning) buzzwords that filled last year's Up Fronts were noticeably not present this past week when this year's occurred. The shift may move slightly toward the middle. As what often feels like the last standing moderate in the country, I would be thrilled. I stopped watching almost everything on ESPN several years ago.

As to the impact on rights packages, it will be interesting to see the next decade shake out. We live in an increasingly On Demand world and whereas live sports will always have a place, it doesn't mean that space won't be shrinking.

Last edited by Bucketnight; 05-19-2017 at 04:15 PM..
Mad Props to Bucketnight For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClevelandFlyer05 (05-20-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 04:25 PM
Brigadier General

priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, I'm defending rape. �� Uh, that was sarcasm by the way.
I didn't say you were defending rape, but I am interested in how ESPN made that into a part of their supposed agenda.

Originally Posted by Gem City
Seriously, what part of sports being an escape did you not understand? I'm not condoning anything but ESPN will use such stories to brow beat their agenda.
Posted via Mobile Device
I understand all of it, but if you don't think the Baylor rape cases (which continue to come out even today) are news, then you are incorrect. I am glad ESPN is reporting on it, because someone needs to be and I doubt traditional news outlets are spending much time on it.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:26 PM
Brigadier General

And here I thought only liberals could be snowflakes.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:30 PM
Major

mikeymo85 is a splendid one to beholdmikeymo85 is a splendid one to beholdmikeymo85 is a splendid one to beholdmikeymo85 is a splendid one to beholdmikeymo85 is a splendid one to beholdmikeymo85 is a splendid one to beholdmikeymo85 is a splendid one to behold
How many UD games were on ESPN network last year? you understand Directv has the ESPN channels?
Old 05-19-2017, 04:32 PM
1st Lieutenant

TX Flyer is a splendid one to beholdTX Flyer is a splendid one to beholdTX Flyer is a splendid one to beholdTX Flyer is a splendid one to beholdTX Flyer is a splendid one to beholdTX Flyer is a splendid one to beholdTX Flyer is a splendid one to behold
I'll assume you drank to many Friday afternoon and can't read. He said those were ok to talk about as they are real college sport problems
Old 05-19-2017, 04:36 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by TX Flyer View Post
I'll assume you drank to many Friday afternoon and can't read. He said those were ok to talk about as they are real college sport problems
He lumped it in a parenthetical with "gun control", so I seriously doubt that was the point he was making.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:45 PM

Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,921 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
This has been hashed over in several threads here.

While I agree that the politics play a role, and the biggest issue is the number of people cutting the cord, one other huge factor is that there just is no need for a sportscenter type program anymore. If you want to see highlights of your favorite team, odds are they were on TV somewhere the night prior and you've already caught the highlights. If not, they may have been sent to your phone or email. Want some "eye popping" highlights from teams you don't typically follow, you can get those on the web minutes after they happen.

There will always be a market for live sporting events, for which ESPN has probably over paid for content. However, the 30 min or 1 hour live programming that you would sit thru to catch a few glimpses of your favorite team, a top 10 near the end and a little bit of commentary in the middle has long gone wayward. Similar to MTV, there is no need for MTV to show videos, few are going to sit thru an hour of songs they don't care about just to catch the 1 song they really want to see, they're just going to call up youtube and watch it as many times as they like.
I guess this must be what happened.

I wish they would bring back the ESPN News channel, I loved that channel, I watched it all the time. They would cycle through everything happening in the sports world every 30 minutes.

I never had to wait for Sportscenter, or the sports segment of the local news at 5pm/6pm/11pm/etc., to come on in order to see highlights.

And I wish MTV would bring back music videos. Does VH1 even exist now?

I guess I am old-fashioned.
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bucketnight (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 05:17 PM
Major

TheDuke2003 is a jewel in the roughTheDuke2003 is a jewel in the roughTheDuke2003 is a jewel in the rough
And here I thought only liberals could be snowflakes.
Eh, I'd be equally ****ed if they did 15 minute segments on Tebow's faith and how it drives him in sports. I don't care. I want to see the highlights from ALL the games.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:49 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,209 Times in 587 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Flyers had nine games on the ESPN family of channels this past year.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:14 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,319 Times in 1,504 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, the liberal lean thing has very little to do with this. A decade or too ago ESPN was really the world wide leader. That was where you consumed highlights but now there are options galore right in the palm of your hand literally. Today, you can just pull up whatever you want to see on demand on your phone. And you don't have to get it from ESPN. There is a place for ESPN like there is a place for newspapers, but newspapers will never be what they once were just like ESPN will never be what it once was. We just consume media differently. Plain and simple. ESPN can get less liberal but really it is just a matter of being less overall.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:16 PM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Every time this year I will cut back my Direct TV package, now when College football and basketball starts again I will upgrade so I can see these games. I look at it as not throwing away money during the off season.
Mad Props to Atlantic 10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
MrFlyerFanatic (05-22-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 07:14 PM
Captain

Bucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Atlantic 10 View Post
Every time this year I will cut back my Direct TV package, now when College football and basketball starts again I will upgrade so I can see these games. I look at it as not throwing away money during the off season.
I cut ours back, ok, my wife cuts ours back once or twice a year. I'm way too lazy to sit on hold. DirectTV is very willing to negotiate their pricing. I'm sure they know what's happening but they still do it.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:35 PM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Bucketnight View Post
I cut ours back, ok, my wife cuts ours back once or twice a year. I'm way too lazy to sit on hold. DirectTV is very willing to negotiate their pricing. I'm sure they know what's happening but they still do it.
Since ATT took over, I tried that but they didn't want to negotiate. I just go on line and change it, it's alot easier that way
Old 05-19-2017, 10:17 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,090 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
I only watch ESPN for live events and the Scott Van Pelt Sportscenter. He is the only "anchor" who does a show worth watching. I'm just glad DirecTV/ESPN finally made it easy to just record the SVP Sportscenter broadcasts.

I watched one SC6 show and have not watched another one. Bring back regular Sportscenter with Lindsay Czarniak at 6pm and I would consider watching that.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:32 PM
Just off the Jet

UncleFester will become famous soon enough
Breaking News:

Fox News in Free Fall for Not Reporting News.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UncleFester For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (05-20-2017), SoTier Flyer (05-21-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 11:20 PM
Major

Jeff has a brilliant futureJeff has a brilliant futureJeff has a brilliant futureJeff has a brilliant futureJeff has a brilliant futureJeff has a brilliant futureJeff has a brilliant futureJeff has a brilliant futureJeff has a brilliant futureJeff has a brilliant futureJeff has a brilliant future
They snowflakes that dominate the media don't represent the masses of kids graduating today, who follow Clay Travis and the like. They want straight talk. Guys, those kids are out there.

ESPN fell out of touch with the fan base, period. It moved to more "entertainment" than sports. Most people don't give a crap what Steven A Smith argues about. Sports fans love sports. Combined with a generation of cutting the cord, and presto they are in hot water. History is full of organizations that think they just need a faster pony to deliver the mail. It's about poor leadership, and poor decision making.

Or the Paul Finebaum show.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:30 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,090 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
They snowflakes that dominate the media don't represent the masses of kids graduating today, who follow Clay Travis and the like. They want straight talk. Guys, those kids are out there.
Outkick with Clay Travis is exactly what I choose to watch/listen to instead of ESPN.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:39 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Hyde Park Flyer has much to be proud ofHyde Park Flyer has much to be proud ofHyde Park Flyer has much to be proud ofHyde Park Flyer has much to be proud ofHyde Park Flyer has much to be proud ofHyde Park Flyer has much to be proud ofHyde Park Flyer has much to be proud ofHyde Park Flyer has much to be proud ofHyde Park Flyer has much to be proud ofHyde Park Flyer has much to be proud of
This started with a nonsensical statement that is painfully subjective and lacking credible support. It's no small surprise that the thread is now full of posts with a clear conservative bias complaining of a liberal bias. It's silly. It's laughable to suggest that the ESPN viewer demographic is overwhelmingly conservative. Laughable. ESPN has made a concerted effort to have on air talent that represented its viewers. They needed to reflect the diverse viewership. ESPN started breaking up the white boys club. I'm not making this up. I know with certainty that this was discussed internally. If they indeed catered to a liberal agenda, it would have been because of ESPN research showing that their viewers were overwhelmingly liberal. I don't think that's the case. Instead, the arrival of what some are calling political discussion is a biproduct of the changes in programming. ESPN went after a talk radio type format. The genie was let out of the bottle. It stopped being about last night's highlights. Liberal. Conservative. It doesn't matter. Many people stopped watching because they didn't like the format. I'm in that group. And, I'm not alone.
Mad Props to Hyde Park Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (05-20-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 11:48 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,319 Times in 1,504 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hyde Park Flyer View Post
Many people stopped watching because they didn't like the format. I'm in that group. And, I'm not alone.
Absolutely the shift in format was a major alienating force to the old audience. Trying to pull in a younger audience, they underestimated the proliferation of other cheaper options to consume sports that are a no brainer for younger audiences.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:16 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,160 Times in 641 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
I like the idea of finding every Atlantic 10 game on NetFlix.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:01 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,269 Times in 1,483 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
So much misinformation on this thread it's startling.

As many of you have heard and read, ESPN is in a complete free fall. They are losing money and subscribers hand over fist.
Without commenting on the rest of Gem City's post, ESPN is NOT LOSING MONEY. And certainly not hand over fist.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...really-into-it

“I’m really tired of being painted as some sort of failing, sinking ship,” SportsCenter anchor Scott Van Pelt told the Washington Post in September. “It’s not like we’re losing money, we’re just not making as much. It’s a giant difference.”

"Last year, Disney’s cable networks brought in $16.6 billion in revenue and $6.7 billion in operating profit—43 percent of Disney’s total and more than its theme parks and movie studios combined."

"At a standing desk in a corner office, King, 54, is staring at a screen that displays what looks like a stock chart. It’s ESPN’s “Producer Panel,” custom software for tracking what viewers are talking about on social media. . . If you, loyal ESPN viewer, have ever sat in your living room wondering why you’re being subjected to yet another Talmudic discussion of “Deflategate,” King would argue it’s because that’s what you asked for. . . Although he concedes that sometimes this approach to “social listening,” as he calls it, can lead to stories that seem overcooked, King points out that if ESPN ignores what’s happening on social media, it will simply lose viewers to Twitter and Facebook."

Hmmm. . . I wonder who is most active on social media. . .

Originally Posted by Hyde Park Flyer View Post
This started with a nonsensical statement that is painfully subjective and lacking credible support. It's no small surprise that the thread is now full of posts with a clear conservative bias complaining of a liberal bias. It's silly. It's laughable to suggest that the ESPN viewer demographic is overwhelmingly conservative. Laughable.
https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/e...s-left-020817/

"The only sports fans with a large fan base in this country that skew liberal in their voting are NBA fans. And that’s because of black voters who, guess what, are actually more socially conservative and religious than many white voters. As business plans go ESPN going all in on liberal sports fans is the rough equivalent of Outkick saying that henceforth we will only write articles about hot girls in Saudi Arabia."

FYI, the graphic shows that sports fans are solidly conservative.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (05-20-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 09:14 AM
Colonel

ClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant future
This thread, including and especially the initial post, is the epitome of "off-topic gibberish."
Mad Props to ClevelandFlyer05 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (05-22-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 10:19 AM
Colonel

Ready Action has much to be proud ofReady Action has much to be proud ofReady Action has much to be proud ofReady Action has much to be proud ofReady Action has much to be proud ofReady Action has much to be proud ofReady Action has much to be proud ofReady Action has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ClevelandFlyer05 View Post
This thread, including and especially the initial post, is the epitome of "off-topic gibberish."
Ray Harper once said "No comment" then proceeded to filibuster for 8 days.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Ready Action For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (05-20-2017), Canonball (05-22-2017), CT Flyer (05-22-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 10:34 AM

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,444 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
What Gazoo said.

The one thing ESPN is losing is subscribers, but then so is every other cable network as consumers are cutting the cord. The beauty of cable networks vs. broadcast is the dual revenue stream -- cable subscriber fees + ad revenues. They are still making major coin on both.

The one thing you will see is ESPN not bidding on rights fees for live sports that don't make fiscal sense anymore.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:32 PM
Colonel

hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Of course going full leftist mode is not the only reason. No one is saying that. There are lots of reasons and cord cutting is a big one, but if you think the SJW/Marxist crap has nothing to do with it at all you are mistaken.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (05-20-2017), Jeff (05-20-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 01:15 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Hyde Park Flyer has much to be proud ofHyde Park Flyer has much to be proud ofHyde Park Flyer has much to be proud ofHyde Park Flyer has much to be proud ofHyde Park Flyer has much to be proud ofHyde Park Flyer has much to be proud ofHyde Park Flyer has much to be proud ofHyde Park Flyer has much to be proud ofHyde Park Flyer has much to be proud ofHyde Park Flyer has much to be proud of
Gazoo, without discussing the polling methods and whether the results are a fair reflection, I would simply point out that what I said is correct. I said that there is not an overwhelming Conservative bias among fans. If the findings are correct, fans are mostly moderate. The fans on either extreme will view content with a heavily tinted lens. No doubt, they change channels when their politics are offended. But, for most, it's a content driven decision. It also must be remembered that ESPN closely monitors social media. As they said, they show what fans are talking about.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:50 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,417 Times in 624 Posts
JimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond repute
As several here have suggested, I don't believe it's the liberal lean they have that is driving viewers away, but rather the fact that they are delving into the political arena more and more. I would be equally uninterested if they were right leaning. I have to admit though, what did it in for me was their love fest for Colin Kaepernick. It was front page headline news for them everytime he disgraced the National Anthem or made an idiotic comment. Also, during the Presidential campaign, they had columns that heavily leaned to the left on their website on a daily basis. I at times thought I had mistakenly gone the MSNBC site.

As others have also said, I don't think anyone is suggesting it is the sole factor in their downward slide. There are several contributing factors, but to suggest that their politics has nothing to do with it is just not reality. Just the fact that there are many right here who claim they no longer watch ESPN for that reason demonstrates that. People enjoy sports because it is an escape from things in their lives that are stressful and not always pleasant, they don't want to hear anything political when they turn on a sports network.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:05 PM
Major

IndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Most of us don't want to hear anything political when we read the basketball forum but apparently no one has the guts to get rid of those who continually do it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-20-2017, 04:18 PM
Colonel

ClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by JimBo View Post
Just the fact that there are many right here who claim they no longer watch ESPN for that reason demonstrates that.
A quick perusal of the Off-Topic Gibberish board (where this thread belongs, ahem) will demonstrate that UDPride is well out of mainstream American political view. ESPN, like many apolitical media companies, has stuck its finger in the air, and realizes which way the wind is blowing and where we are headed as a country. Some may be upset with that, but it doesn't change two realities: The continual political shift in favor of progress and the unrelated movement of all people away from traditional cable television.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:01 PM

Thanked 3,317 Times in 1,969 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Cord cutting is broad, and not viewer related per se. Assuming ESPN and Fox News are equally distributed on cable and satellite, Fox News is losing just as many subscribers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-20-2017, 05:40 PM

Thanked 1,335 Times in 598 Posts
AC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond repute
They are n a complete free fall because their programming sucks. It's not a liberal vs conservative thing, it's that they talk too much in general. And they don't even cover things like they used to. They us SC and other programs to simply promote each other. Their game coverage is terrific. They should stick to that and stop the stupid talking. I watched this morning with my nephews and we started laughing how bad it was, and that was sports center, which is supposed to be its bread and butter. Ugh.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to AC91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (05-22-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 06:05 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

CoffeeCan has a brilliant futureCoffeeCan has a brilliant futureCoffeeCan has a brilliant futureCoffeeCan has a brilliant futureCoffeeCan has a brilliant futureCoffeeCan has a brilliant futureCoffeeCan has a brilliant futureCoffeeCan has a brilliant futureCoffeeCan has a brilliant futureCoffeeCan has a brilliant futureCoffeeCan has a brilliant future
NBA problem

1. ESPN needed live sports content
2. They signed a huge deal with the NBA
3. Like, huge.
4. 9 years, $24 billion
5. To support their investment, they centered so much on the NBA
6. SC 6 or whatever with Michael what-his-name and Jemele get a prime spot, catering to NBA crowd
7. They should rename it Sports NBA Center, Around the NBA Horn, Pardon the NBA Interruption
8. Almost nobody that I know follows the NBA at all
9. The NBA blows
10. They made their bed, they will die in in.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CoffeeCan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (05-20-2017), MrFlyerFanatic (05-22-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 06:25 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,608 Times in 1,068 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Funny that some of the same people complaining about politics on ESPN are the same people who can't resist making political comments on the UD pride basketball forum.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NCkevi For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (05-22-2017), flyerfanatic86 (05-22-2017), Furio (05-20-2017), San Diego Flyer (05-20-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 06:56 PM

Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,036 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
ESPN will generate about $4 to $5 Billion of free cash flow in 2017. And ESPN is worth somewhere between $30 and $40 Billion. ESPN is largely offsetting cord-cutting with increased cable fees and advertising revenue.

I am a Republican, but the talk about the " possible collapse" of ESPN due to a liberal bias is crazy talk ... again $4 to $5 Billion of free cash flow in 2017!
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
IAFlyer (10-27-2017), SoTier Flyer (05-21-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 09:01 PM

UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
The programming on ESPN has very little to do with their making less profit than they used to. The declines are due to fewer subscribers to satellite and cable television services, for which they receive a fee per subscriber. People are not cutting the cord because ESPN programming sucks. They could have identical programming and substantially all the for cutting would have occurred anyway. The two things are largely unconnected. It's not a liberal vs conservative thing and it's not a programming thing. It's a how consumers want to receive television programming thing. And increasingly that is streaming services, YouTube, Facebook Live. The majority of those cutting the cord do not and never did watch sports, because for the most part when they cut the cord they don't get sports other than what the big four networks air.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (05-21-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 10:17 PM

Thanked 1,700 Times in 686 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
A quick perusal of the Off-Topic Gibberish board (where this thread belongs, ahem) will demonstrate that UDPride is well out of mainstream American political view. ESPN, like many apolitical media companies, has stuck its finger in the air, and realizes which way the wind is blowing and where we are headed as a country. Some may be upset with that, but it doesn't change two realities: The continual political shift in favor of progress and the unrelated movement of all people away from traditional cable television.
What are you talking about? Republican White House, House, Senate. Only 16 governors are Dems, Dems only control both houses in 5 states. Republicans control both houses in 33 states.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDEE79 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Fairborn Fan (05-21-2017), jack72 (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 12:17 AM
Colonel

Originally Posted by IndianaFlyer View Post
Most of us don't want to hear anything political when we read the basketball forum but apparently no one has the guts to get rid of those who continually do it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ga head bra. Get rid of me for once in a great while mentioning "politics" when it is wholly relevant. Been reading/posting here for over 10 years so this should probably be the proverbial straw right?
Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 12:01 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,417 Times in 624 Posts
JimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond repute
A quick perusal of the Off-Topic Gibberish board (where this thread belongs, ahem) will demonstrate that UDPride is well out of mainstream American political view.
Ummmm, have you checked the political landscape of America lately? Governorships, state legislatures, Senate, House, the White House?? Republicans control everything, and it's been trending in that direction since 2010.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:16 PM
2nd Lieutenant

big jordan is a name known to allbig jordan is a name known to allbig jordan is a name known to allbig jordan is a name known to allbig jordan is a name known to allbig jordan is a name known to all
*reviews board for first time in a week*

*runs away*
Mad Props to big jordan For This Totally Excellent Post:
IAFlyer (05-24-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 11:31 AM
Major

IndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Hawkooo, wasn't directed at you. Didn't even know you had posted on the thread. Just pointing out the hypocrisy of those complaining about politics affecting their enjoyment of ESPN while posting about politics on the basketball forum.
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to IndianaFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (05-22-2017), hawkoooo (05-22-2017), IAFlyer (10-27-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 03:34 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,269 Times in 1,483 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CoffeeCan View Post
1. ESPN needed live sports content
2. They signed a huge deal with the NBA
3. Like, huge.
4. 9 years, $24 billion
5. To support their investment, they centered so much on the NBA
6. SC 6 or whatever with Michael what-his-name and Jemele get a prime spot, catering to NBA crowd
7. They should rename it Sports NBA Center, Around the NBA Horn, Pardon the NBA Interruption
8. Almost nobody that I know follows the NBA at all
9. The NBA blows
10. They made their bed, they will die in in.
I would substitute NFL for NBA. Every time I turn on ESPN -- day / night / spring / summer / winter / fall -- they are talking NFL it seems. It's tiring.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (05-22-2017), m21eagle45 (05-22-2017), MrFlyerFanatic (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 04:32 PM

Thanked 4,749 Times in 2,668 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
I would substitute NFL for NBA. Every time I turn on ESPN -- day / night / spring / summer / winter / fall -- they are talking NFL it seems. It's tiring.
ESPN is great if you live in the Northeast and like the NFL and/or NBA, or baseball in the Northeast in season. I think the initials stand for Eastern Sports Network.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:44 PM
Major

Jeff has a brilliant futureJeff has a brilliant futureJeff has a brilliant futureJeff has a brilliant futureJeff has a brilliant futureJeff has a brilliant futureJeff has a brilliant futureJeff has a brilliant futureJeff has a brilliant futureJeff has a brilliant futureJeff has a brilliant future
Thanks for the update, Anderson!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (05-23-2017), ud2 (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 07:45 PM
Just off the Jet

FlyerFan2003 is on a distinguished road
I I'm q
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2017, 03:12 PM

Thanked 5,892 Times in 2,806 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
When the cable TV sports giant ESPN announced 100 layoffs recently, including letting go a number of high-profile broadcasters, a lot of people took notice, and well they should: things no longer are business as usual in sports broadcasting, and we are not even at the beginning of the end, and maybe not even the end of the beginning.

Like the slow crashing of the retail sector as online purchase firms like Amazon begin their domination, we are seeing a sea change in sports broadcasting and that is going to mean big changes are down the road not only for ESPN, but for all of the sports entities that depend upon the huge payouts that ESPN provides. To put it mildly, a lot of people are about to see their lives change drastically as consumer choices drive sports broadcasting in a new direction.

https://mises.org/blog/espn-and-bursting-sports-bubble
Old 05-24-2017, 03:21 PM

Thanked 9,692 Times in 4,442 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
I could care less about EPSN...but I do care about the Reds on radio. Do any of you have data showing the listenership trends of live radio broadcasts?

I honestly schedule the palatial lawn grooming work to coincide with Reds games so I can listen to Marty from pregame (Hall of Fame moment is my favorite) to postgame (gots to know the play of the game!). My kids, on the other hand, would rather have their teeth pulled than listen to or watch any baseball game...a trend I suppose is common for all millennials.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:17 PM

I don't have Reds specific data, but listenership for live radio and the ad revenues that go with it are declining. Many radio companies are over leveraged and are likely to face nterm liquidity crises. Radio as an industry hasn't done enough to prepare itself for the connected car and is not well positioned as OEMs add features like Apple CarPlay. Something like 50% or more of radio listening occurs in a car, so that's not good.

It is a big reason MLB has kept their streaming rights. In that not too distant future a steaming subscription on a phone will be the way large numbers listen to games. When streaming fees exceed radio rights fees I suspect MLB pulls the plug on radio.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2017, 09:30 AM

Thanked 9,692 Times in 4,442 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
I religiously listen to Mike and Mike every weekday from 6-10:00 am despite the fact that rarely are Mike and Mike together.

Today they had a guest in for Golic that drove me to turn them off. Since I'm at my desk and can't see who is talking, I don't know who the idiot was that wouldn't shut up about Kaepernick this and Kaepernick that and how GB Packer's coach Mike McCarthy didn't answer an admittedly stupid press conference question on Sunday about bringing in Kaepernick, blah, blah, blah...after 10 minutes of mindless ranting, my royal mind had enough and I flipped over to Larry's morning show on WHIO.

I've been done with SportsCenter for months now and M&M's morning show is about all the contact I give ESPN, but now that's in jeopardy.

I miss the good ole days when MTV played music videos 24/7, ESPN covered sports and the WWF had personalities like Stone Cold, the Rock, Macho Man and the Hulkster.
IAFlyer (10-27-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 10:19 AM
Lieutenant General

Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
I listened on the way in, it was Ryan Clark. I thought he mentioned reasonable points, and clearly was passionate, though I'm not sure that I agree with him. At any rate, the simple answer that everyone should give, but many won't accept is "Collin is a decent QB in the NFL, he's certainly not outstanding, but he's better than many backups. However, he is also brings a swarm of "distractions" along with him, therefor we won't be looking to add Collin to our team in much the same manner that we won't be looking to add Tim Tebow to our team. Next question."
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (10-17-2017), CE80 (10-17-2017), rollo (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 10:20 AM
Lieutenant General

also, if you didn't know, Mike and Mike is going away sometime soon. I'm not sure when, but greenie is transitioning into some sort of role similar to what SVP has done, though obviously in a different time slot. I believe Trey Wingo is going to take over for greenie at that point alongside Golic.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:36 AM

Thanked 2,728 Times in 1,416 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Sports talk radio/TV reached the super-saturation point years ago. I listen to Mike and Mike on my way to work some days and I listen to Mark Neal on WING radio on my way home some days.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:33 AM

Thanked 3,400 Times in 1,733 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Not a fan of talk radio shows, rather listen to EPIC music, powerful, majestic and non controversial. Didn't even listen to Phil Donahue when he was on WHIO radio. Knew Phil personally, when one day he told several of us he wants to take his talk show to TV and wanted our opinion. ITS A TALK SHOW TV, has no place on TV, it'd be boring.

Well apparently WHIO agreed with me and turned down his request. Somehow he was able to convince WLWD to give him a shot. Like what would they know about talk radio anyways. Then they syndicated it with other WLW stations, whoopee big deal.

Then on a business trip to LA I turned on the TV in the room when they announced a new show at the 10am slot, "Phil Donahue, live from Dayton Ohio". Had to watch it of course and the rest is history.

Was in the studio when Marlo came....could see the fireworks everywhere, who knew....
Old 10-27-2017, 11:21 AM
Colonel

NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
ESPN takes another step toward the cliff

And the beat goes on.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...port-says.html

It really is a shame too! The last 10 years(?) UD has been linked to ESPN in a positive way as to invites to various ESPN tournaments and the like.

As ESPN is diminished, the less potential exposure UD will have (unless we connect with another network). It could/will impact UD national mention over the air and on TV.

However, ESPN has brought some of this on themselves with the politicking and PC in the last few years. It just happened to coincide with people cutting cable and sat TV out of their entertainment budget.

A perfect storm.