UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-16-2017, 11:43 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Overall observation from Hofstra game

Bad start, good comeback, but this team doesn't appear to have the shooters or defense to allow themselves to dig their way out of a hole.

FTs cost us dearly tonight. Can't understand why DD can make those 3s but can't make the d**n FT.

We had no answer for the Hofstra guards. They abused us like a red-headed step child.

Officiating..Well, it wasn't very good. But we had also had some really dumb fouls.

Josh can't have any more games like this. Interestingly enough though, when we try to run the offense through him, it sort of stagnates. We had better movement when he was out.

X had a bad game from 3PT land. He's better moving around and getting closer looks.

We had good ball movement on a number of plays, just dumb TOs on too many.

Every single time it seemed like we were on the verge of taking the lead, we took a bad shot or had a TO.

Fouls, fouls fouls. My God, they were at the FT line half the night. And those two fouls on 3PT attempts were ridiculously stupid.

Kudos to the team for fighting back, but if we had played better in the first half, this is an easy win. Heck, if we don't miss all those FTs we win.

Losers bracket after round 1 sucks. We better win the next two or this will be a bad tournament.

Kostas played much better tonight.

Our rebounding is still bad.

Still no J Pierce.
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2017, 12:27 AM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
The 1-3-1 zone that we played much of the second half was pretty effective- holding Hofstra to 30% shooting. Kostas in the back can cover the corners with his huge stride and long arms.

Dumb fouls cost us.

Only got to see Kostas and Josh on the floor together for a minute or 2 due to foul trouble on Josh. Might see more of that when we play zone.

Kostas improvement from Ball State game was large. He is a game changer.

You can mention turnovers - but we only had 8. That is very good.

I expect Pierce to red-shirt.

Last edited by ud69; 11-17-2017 at 12:45 AM..
Old 11-17-2017, 12:41 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
FYI his name is Kostas.

And ud69 I'm not picking on you because I have seen multiple people spell it wrong too. I don't expect anybody to spell his last name but I think we can all at least spell his 6 letter first name correctly.
Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud69 (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 06:30 AM

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by C-time View Post
FYI his name is Kostas.

And ud69 I'm not picking on you because I have seen multiple people spell it wrong too. I don't expect anybody to spell his last name but I think we can all at least spell his 6 letter first name correctly.
Misspelling 'Kostas' is forgivable...but have you noticed the number of UDPriders who think Don Donaher and Jim Paxton once ruled this great campus?

On a scale of 1-10, Kastas is a 1.
Paxton is a 10.
And Dohaher is a 20.
C-time (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 06:31 AM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
One thing you can't fault these guys on is effort. When Kostas is putting forth the effort he did on a few plays, you can bet that AG is harping on that in practice.

These guys clawed their way back into the game but poor decision making in terms of when to push the pace and when not to push the pace cost them the game.

This wasn't about some questionable calls or the plays that were called at the end of the game. This game was the ying and the yang. They would play really hard on defense and then come back on the offensive end and force a shot or rush a pass. They would play through a shot clock on defense, then foul a 3 point shooter. These two things killed them...but in both scenarios hard work and effort got the positive point while a decision cost them the negative point.

The positive about this is that the effort is there and the decisions are not. You've got a team that was top 3 in the country in lost starting minutes...logic would tell you that decision making will be the thing that suffers most.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (11-17-2017), Gazoo (11-18-2017), Whacker (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 07:29 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
With apologies to the really good refs out there (cough...Rollo...cough) it is amazing to me how Ted Valentine can call the Duke vs Mich St game Tues night so very very differently than he called our game last night. I realize he's only 1/3 of the crew, but sadly his marbles seem to get really small when Coach K and Izzo are on the sideline and he's BMOC when officiating a non Power 5 game.

Last edited by Radar; 11-17-2017 at 07:39 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (11-17-2017), tlangs98 (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 09:02 AM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan View Post
Bad start, good comeback, but this team doesn't appear to have the shooters or defense to allow themselves to dig their way out of a hole.
Actually the comeback to get within reach after Hofstra blitzed us with 3's early was pretty impressive. Then to take the late lead at 69-68 was equally impressive. We had countless games like that last season.

Now if could only put Scoochie and Kyle back in the game we walk away with a W last night.

We can talk about all the warts in last nights game, but the bottom line is we need to learn how to finish like a veteran team.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:27 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,743 Times in 798 Posts
UDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond repute
Kid who works for me is a recent Hofstra graduate. We had a friendly wager on the game. When I came in this a.m. my work station was covered with Hofstra Pride propaganda.

Hope she finds a job before her unemployment runs out!

Like everyone else, I wish they pulled that one out at the end...BUT

They will be a much different team come A10 league play, and Cunningham needs to understand his importance to the success of this team. He can't be invisible, and expect this team to win consistently (whether foul trouble or otherwise). Same for Xman. Both of them have to play much smarter.

Love DD's effort and moxie.

Looking forward to better games ahead.....AND

Now accepting resumes, PM me for job description, requirements and salary.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:29 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,248 Times in 1,129 Posts
Bat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond repute
We have a young, inexperienced team and it showed last night. IMHO, the kids resiliency and tenacity in coming back the way they did bodes well for the future. It may take some time for the chemistry to gel and for decision making to improve, but the team seems to have the character and talent to improve and progress as the season wears on. AG is also on a learning curve, so a little bit of slack is required for the coaching staff as well as the kids on the floor. Most of the kids did pretty well, once they settled in and IMHO, DD looked like he is becoming a leader on the floor and KA showed his potential to be a real offensive and defensive weapon. Yeah, it was a tough one to lose, but there were some positive signs out there for such a young group of guys.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Bat'71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-17-2017), udx2 (11-17-2017), Wallage (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 09:38 AM

Thanked 1,080 Times in 676 Posts
udx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant future
Pemberton had what was likely his best game in a Pride uniform, we put ourselves in a 15 point hole early, Cunningham is neutralized due to fouls, and this team still crawled back. Didn’t like losing and wanted a last shot miracle again to tie this game but this morning I have to respect the drive to come back and make this a game.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:58 AM
Major

TheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to behold
If you had told me before the game that Josh would only have 7 pts and 2 rebounds, I would have said we lost by double digits. We need him to be a consistent presence and a leader on the floor. A lot of his fouls were ticky tack, but after the first half he should have adjusted knowing how the game was being called. If we're going anywhere this year, we need a lot more of the Josh we got against Ball State, and very few instances of Hofstra Josh.

We lost this game, but what Kostas showed us has to give us a lot of hope for the future. Even this season. He was a game changer defensively. 4 blocks and probably a half doze more altered shots trying to get around that colossal wing span of his. He controlled the glass as well when we were in that zone. He was bringing the ball down from rim height without even jumping. Those 2 big steps moving from a 3 point shot to a layup was pretty darn impressive as well. The outside shot wasn't falling for him last night, but the form looks there and I think there will be nights where he'll rain 3's on teams. The sky is the limit for Kostas as much as any Flyer over the past 20-25 years.

I also wasn't sure if DD had that kind of game in him. He was the man last night, and if that can become even quasi consistent then the scoring offense is going to be A-OK. That said, our perimeter defense as a whole was attorcious and that was partially his fault as well.

Trey Landers has been a nice surprise to start this season. He is starting to remind me of a bigger version of Kyle Davis. If he can learn the tenacity KD had, then he could be a very good player the next few years.

Svoboda needs to get a little more aggressive. He seemed passive out there on both sides of the ball when I even noticed him at all.

Crosby has been doing a solid job protecting the ball, but he seems to play a lot of Iso moreso than run the offense. Ball movement needs to improve and it has to begin with the starting PG.

Jordan Davis same thing as Svoboda. Get more aggressive. Played 5 minutes last night, did not register a single stat in the box score outside of minutes played.

As small as Crutcher is, I've been fairly pleased with him so far. He's made a few freshman mistakes in the first couple games, but less than I expected. Defense needs to improve a fair bit still, but experience and size will help that in the future. Hopefully they can get him to pack on about 15 lbs of muscle between now and the start of next season.

Overall our offense and defense is still very much a work in progress. We'll have trouble scoring consistently until they can establish an identity on offense and get smarter on defense. The inexperience has showed early on, but they have also showed a lot of promise. This can be a vastly improved team by the start of A-10 play. We'll see how well CAG can coach them up between now and then.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:24 PM
General

Thanked 1,267 Times in 785 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Can't believe what we are seeing and getting from DD!!
I thought he had the YIPS forever after soph and junior year.

That's a plus. Nucleus is def DD, Xeyrius , Cunningham, Kostas (after a few more games)... then it's anyones guess who else steps up.

There are several willing and capable candidates. Just gotta grab the opps!!
Mad Props to Flyer 86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (11-17-2017)