Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-03-2008, 11:36 PM
1st Lieutenant

flyguy is infamous around these parts
Very Excited For This Season

I'll probably get ragged on for being too much of a cheerleader for UD hoops... but here it goes.

I'm very excited by this year's team. This is hands down the most athletic team I have ever seen at UD, and that is going to make a huge difference is so many ways. Think of how far this program has come in the last 10 years (I know many will say it has not come far enough). UD is on the cusp of having a very special season, and they've done it on the up and up.

No sleazy recruiting - the players graduate - and very little bad behavior from the team on or off the court. Dayton could have gotten better faster by taking the easy route and recruited thugs, but they didn't.

Now we have a team of athletes. Players who can match up against anyone on a good night. Players who have the speed and quickness to actually compete night in and night out. It used to be we needed someone to have the game of their life to have a chance against a really good team. Now we can just play ball and win.

If the PG situation, and the free throw mess is sorted out I'm expecting a very good year.
Mad Props to flyguy For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (11-04-2008)
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2008, 11:47 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
There is absolutely no doubt this is the most athletic Flyer team I have ever seen. If we had Josh, we'd be even more athletic. What we need now is a little more of the finesse skills; shooting, passing and ball handling.....and hopefully Mickey Perry, Chris Johnson, Rob Lowery and Luke Fabrezius can help there.

As for CL, MJ and CW..........well, just sit back and enjoy the air show.

Opps...forgot this man named Williams from D....troit. He might have a thing or two to contribute, too.

Last edited by bobber; 11-03-2008 at 11:49 PM..
Old 11-04-2008, 05:14 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I agree 100% as I think most people would who attended the scrimmage. They looked like an NBA team warming up, never accussed UD of that. The athleticism has improved but I was impressed with some nice, smart plays made by Josh, Devin and Chris which also bodes well.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:32 AM
Colonel

swish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant future
really??

Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
I agree 100% as I think most people would who attended the scrimmage. They looked like an NBA team warming up, never accussed UD of that. The athleticism has improved but I was impressed with some nice, smart plays made by Josh, Devin and Chris which also bodes well.
They looked like an NBA team warming up? First time I heard that one, ever, about a Dayton team.
I will be at the game thursday, and now I am excited to get a look at this years team in person. I'm glad PW will be back, I want to see him on the floor.
The team we are playing is coached by Damon Goodwin. They should be pretty solid, so it'll be interesting.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:52 AM
General of the Air Force

UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I hesitated to say that but that is exactly what I said to my nephew during warmups That comment was based upon athleticism
Old 11-04-2008, 08:51 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
This season comes down to a couple things:much better PG play (didn't say great but much better) and MUCH better ability to inbounds the ball.I have yet to see a team in my 46 years have as much consistent trouble of getting the ball inbounds.This is strictly a schematic,coaching deal as too many flyers stand around doing nothing while an exhausted BROB was fighting to get open.
The Flyers have become a much more athletic team the past 2-3 years and,hopefullt,the overall IQ of this team is better.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:13 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

The Fat Tuna has a spectacular aura aboutThe Fat Tuna has a spectacular aura aboutThe Fat Tuna has a spectacular aura about
Personally, I think this is a breakout year for the Flyers. From the sounds of it the team is energized and working very hard. I was extremely excited to see this team as a more vocal and aggressive team compared to years past.

I can remember as a kid watching Michigan State during warm-ups and being amazed at how tall and athletic they were. Make no doubt about it, we are now in elite company with athletic ability in the nation. Hey, Memphis rolled through the C-USA slate with some poor shooting, and looked fantastic for most of the tournament....I am NOT saying we are Memphis of last year, but it wouldn't surprise me if we simply overwhelm 90% of the teams we play.

I agree, the question mark is shooting and PG play. If Lowery can be steady, not fantastic, but steady, and we get just decent shooting from Perry, Williams, or Johnson, or some combination, we are going to be very tough.

My prediction...Dayton wins the A10 title. Nobody, not even Xavier is able to match up with our ability. (yes, I know I am a homer, but hey, it is what I truly believe.)
Old 11-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
It appears that point guard has now progressed beyond the nail biting stage with the three candidates offering the coach some alternatives. Not saying we have arrived but just that the pg situation has taken it's rightful place along with the other questions of freethrow shooting, outside shooting, rotations, et. al. to be solved in ooc.

There are posters that will be able to say "I told you so" on a given night on any one of the above issues. But on balance we are going to have some great nights also.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:56 AM

Thanked 1,403 Times in 429 Posts
Flyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
Think of how far this program has come in the last 10 years (I know many will say it has not come far enough). UD is on the cusp of having a very special season, and they've done it on the up and up.
And we, as fans, owe a huge amount of thanks to the work that Oliver Purnell put in to bring this program back from the dead. It took the right amount of patience and perseverance to accomplish what OP did and UD would have never attracted a coach from a school like MSU without the efforts by OP to restore the program and put it on solid footing. I know OP has his detractors, but his success in turning UD around can not be denied.
Mad Props to Flyer Al For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jack D (11-05-2008)
Old 11-04-2008, 10:23 AM
1st Lieutenant

GlassCityFlyer will become famous soon enough
I am super excited about this season.. but I was also super excited about last season and the idea of chris and b-rob tearing people apart.. which they did untill the nightmare unfolded. I am scared to get my hopes too high considering benson is already hurt. I just want NO injuries this year.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Colonel

as_4 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by GlassCityFlyer View Post
I just want NO injuries this year.
Too late for that. Let's hope Benson's injury is the only one.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Captain

hessbz12 is just really nicehessbz12 is just really nicehessbz12 is just really nicehessbz12 is just really nice
I'm super excited for this season! I agree with the poster who said they looked like an NBA team warming up. Half the team's heads were at rim level when dunking. It was pretty amazing to me.

I think Benson getting hurt doesn't hurt us as much as we would think. Sure it'd be nice to have him coming off the bench to help us out, but I don't think it's a huge deal. He'll be back before we know it. I just don't want any injuries to our key, especially experienced guys.

I am a little worried about consistentsy with the shooting and free throw shooting, but I feel confident we will have some guys step up. If MP can shoot like he did in the Blue-Red game we are golden. I have my fingers crossed for the free throw shooting as well.

Can't wait to go to the game on Thursday!
Old 11-04-2008, 02:49 PM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Don't think Benson's injury hurts us this year, although I'm sorry it happened. But it sets Josh himself back a bit for next year. I think he is going to miss 6-8 min of playing experience and a chance to get acclimated to the A10 courts and road environments.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Dirty Sanchez can only hope to improve
We've been athletic for the past few years and it really hasn't gotten us where it counts....wins in the NCAA. We can be as athletic as five Michael Jordans on crack, but unless we can consistently shoot the ball well from beyond the three-point line and make 70%+ at the FT line, we will continue to be disappointed the 2nd weekend of every March.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:31 PM
2nd Lieutenant

El Hombre will become famous soon enough
I agree with Sanchez.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:16 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
We've been athletic for the past few years and it really hasn't gotten us where it counts....wins in the NCAA. We can be as athletic as five Michael Jordans on crack, but unless we can consistently shoot the ball well from beyond the three-point line and make 70%+ at the FT line, we will continue to be disappointed the 2nd weekend of every March.
It got us to our highest ranking (14th) in 40 years. It would have sent us to the promised land had CW not been injured.
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (11-05-2008)
Old 11-04-2008, 10:28 PM
1st Lieutenant

46 Chambers Alumni has a spectacular aura about46 Chambers Alumni has a spectacular aura about
Young team-will the leadership be there?

All these things look promising. Very athletic. Very deep.Could be a strong rebounding team, and a strong defensive team. Obviously someone or a mix will need to take some of Roberts offense. The one thing that is needed to bring this team from a good team, like it has been, to a great team like we hope it will be is the leadership, the 'take over the game-Michael Jordan refuse to lose' attitude. With only one senior will someone take that attitude? Chris Wright showed some of that until he got hurt. Hopefully this team can. GO FLYERS!!
Old 11-04-2008, 11:09 PM
Captain

The Price is Wright is infamous around these partsThe Price is Wright is infamous around these partsThe Price is Wright is infamous around these parts
Fast breaks and hammer dunks

I agree that this is a very athletic team. I hope Coach BG has adapted his coaching style to fit the personnel that he has. That is the key to this season. If you have a team with talent like this, you have to capitalize on what they do best, which is running and dunking and scoring in bunches. From day one, we have to dictate the pace of the games. This is not a slow it down, use the whole shot clock ballclub. I want to see in-your-face full court press defense. I want to see our strength and speed and power overwhelm our opponents. Throw in a few guys that can spike a few triples and a few guys to lead the pack and you have a recipe for an incredible team. I want to see teams come in here and get blown off blackburn court. Build a lead and never let up. This team could be one of the best, most exciting, most physically dominating teams in all of college basketball. Let's make it happen.

The arena is going to be more electric this season than any season in flyer history. This is going to be fun to watch.

Chris Wright is going to be HUGE.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:33 AM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,570 Times in 5,078 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't think Benson would be a factor this year until I saw him streaking down the court in warm-up drills and dunking at headlevel with the rim like someone said above. He and Searcy were putting down dunks that occasionally ended up in the 5th row behind the basket because they spike them through the net and they bounced that high off the floor. And I thought his athletcism was going to be significant because I also believe that we are going to be drifting into passing lanes, stealing the ball, and fast breaking as a result a lot this year. He is a perfect fit for that type of play.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:16 AM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
I didn't think Benson would be a factor this year until I saw him streaking down the court in warm-up drills and dunking at headlevel with the rim like someone said above. He and Searcy were putting down dunks that occasionally ended up in the 5th row behind the basket because they spike them through the net and they bounced that high off the floor. And I thought his athletcism was going to be significant because I also believe that we are going to be drifting into passing lanes, stealing the ball, and fast breaking as a result a lot this year. He is a perfect fit for that type of play.
Maybe. But dunking when someone is guarding you is hard. Really hard. It's 10x more important as a basketball player to be able to establish position on defense, establish position on the block. have enough strength to box out, and make FT's.

His athleticism is a great thing but he's not so athletic that he would get playing time in spite of any other potential deficiencies, like CW can. But really it's a moot point since he won't be playing anyway.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
Maybe. But dunking when someone is guarding you is hard. Really hard. It's 10x more important as a basketball player to be able to establish position on defense, establish position on the block. have enough strength to box out, and make FT's.

His athleticism is a great thing but he's not so athletic that he would get playing time in spite of any other potential deficiencies, like CW can. But really it's a moot point since he won't be playing anyway.
Enough said with your post.Absolutely correct.Ya,we can outjump Butler and Davidson,now let's play fundamentals like those teams.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:10 AM
General of the Air Force

In addition to running well and big time dunks Devin, Josh and Chris J all made some good bball IQ plays such as one touch passes. I also think that Josh could have helped this year after seeing him at the REd/Blue, it makes Devin that much more important.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:23 AM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
I'm waiting for Thursday night.

I want to see the Flyers really pressure the ball and challenge passes on defense and push the ball on offense. Without a doubt BG has the athleticism and depth to make it happen. If they play that style I'm bullish on the 2008-09 season. If they continue to play the sloughing defense and slow paced offense I think they are a middle of the pack A-10 team and potential NIT team at best.

If the Flyers will play the pressure D and push the ball for 40 minutes they will be able to win games simply due to their depth and athleticism by wearing down the opponent.

Last edited by Sea Bass; 11-05-2008 at 10:27 AM..
Old 11-05-2008, 01:37 PM

longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Enough said with your post.Absolutely correct.Ya,we can outjump Butler and Davidson,now let's play fundamentals like those teams.
But when we were playing sound fundamental basketball under OP we didn't win any NCAA games, and some people said it was because we were not athletic enough. You need a little of both.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:47 PM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
I think Fudd was saying that superior athletic ability would get him playing time, which may have been true.

I'm just countering that his athletic ability was not SO superior that it would have erased other mistakes / deficiencies. The only guy on the team with that kind of ability is CW.

So if he could have done all the other things then the athletic ability is great to have, but as a skinny freshman bangin' with the bigs I'm not so sure.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Are you talking about our ranking in early January of '08? To me, that doesn't really matter that much. March matters and so does the NCAA Tournament. Getting ranked in the first 1/3 of the season doesn't excite me as much as actually winning a tournament game that people actually fill brackets out for.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:33 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
It got us to our highest ranking (14th) in 40 years. It would have sent us to the promised land had CW not been injured.
Getting a good ranking in the first 1/3 of the season doesn't do a whole lot for me. Wins in March matter to me, NCAA tournament bids matter and so do NCAA tournament wins. I could care less if we were pre-season #1, you have to win and win when it counts. I might be in the minority though...
Old 11-06-2008, 09:36 AM

It ALL matters.

Are you talking about our ranking in early January of '08? To me, that doesn't really matter that much. March matters and so does the NCAA Tournament. Getting ranked in the first 1/3 of the season doesn't excite me as much as actually winning a tournament game that people actually fill brackets out for.
Good grief only an idiot would disagree with you. March is what counts.

But but second on the list is a great A10 season.

Third would have to be a drop-dead exciting and successful ooc, something we also have been short on.
Last year was no fluke. It clearly showed our potential to do what you said.

I mean, someone could come back at you (and they actually might), and say that the most important thing is not to "win a game" in the NCAA, but to get to the Elite Eight where the timing allows an avalanche of good press for our program.

The FIRST step --last year--- for Dayton was as good as it gets.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:45 PM

Getting a good ranking in the first 1/3 of the season doesn't do a whole lot for me. Wins in March matter to me, NCAA tournament bids matter and so do NCAA tournament wins. I could care less if we were pre-season #1, you have to win and win when it counts. I might be in the minority though...
I guess you didn't read the second sentence of the post.