UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball > Archived Seasonal Match Threads > 2012 Match Threads

2012 Match Threads Discussion specific to game day and in-game opponents on the schedule.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 04:05 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Oral Roberts Game Thread

And it begins. ORU serves, Alaina Turner gets the kill UD 1-0 in the first set.
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2012, 04:28 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Are we playing poorly or does Oral Roberts deserve the credit? They are hitting .317 and you won't win a lot of matches when your opponents do that
Old 09-01-2012, 04:32 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Our first lead in the set was at 24-23. Playing from 2-3 points behind most of the set. Oral Roberts takes the lead 26-25 as we are going long in set #1. Now 27-27.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:34 PM
I Am A Statistical God

UD wins set #1 30-28.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:40 PM
General of the Air Force

UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Their hitting errors went way up at the end of that set. I'm thinking we cranked up our blocking intensity
Old 09-01-2012, 04:46 PM
I Am A Statistical God

We start the 2nd set strong, jumping out to a 6-1 lead before Oral Roberts calls a timeout. We're now up 9-4.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:02 PM
I Am A Statistical God

And Samantha Selsky gets a service ace to take set 2, 25-20. Flyers up 2-0.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:32 PM
I Am A Statistical God

I guess I shouldn't have gone away for 10-15 minutes. Flyers win set 3 25-11. Flyers win the game 3-0.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:34 PM
General of the Air Force

Pulled out the first game and got better and better. Great weekend They will need to play better next weekend imho
Old 09-01-2012, 06:55 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,360 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
3 years ago we had a team that seemed to kind-of play down to the competition. They only lost 1 A-10 match, but didn't put teams away like they should have. Kray and Paige were on that team. Perfect opportunity for some leadership. Granted none of us SAW the match, but Kray-Sam-Paige are the captains and it's a leadership opportunity this week to help the younger players learn to play at a consistantly high level.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,099 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
I think its worth mentioning that while we were favorites in every match, Missouri State and Oral Roberts are not chumps. They are gonna win 19-20 matches this year. These were two very solid wins against solid opponents that would finish in the Top-4 in the A10. I know the euphoria of beating Illinois and Pepperdine is still in the air, but lets not fool ourselves into thinking only the Top-15 wins are wins against good teams now. You still have to go out there and play. We lose set one today and who knows how this match goes.

This was a nice RPI weekend. You wont feel it now, but you will in two months. The fact that we got out of the weekend playing just nine sets is two big thumbs up. When you are #11, everybody is now gunning for you. You will get everyone's best. And yet we still took care of biz.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (09-01-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,167 Times in 450 Posts
jpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
I think its worth mentioning that while we were favorites in every match, Missouri State and Oral Roberts are not chumps. They are gonna win 19-20 matches this year. These were two very solid wins against solid opponents that would finish in the Top-4 in the A10. I know the euphoria of beating Illinois and Pepperdine is still in the air, but lets not fool ourselves into thinking only the Top-15 wins are wins against good teams now. You still have to go out there and play. We lose set one today and who knows how this match goes.

This was a nice RPI weekend. You wont feel it now, but you will in two months. The fact that we got out of the weekend playing just nine sets is two big thumbs up. When you are #11, everybody is now gunning for you. You will get everyone's best. And yet we still took care of biz.

Yes they something to be said for winning the matches you should win! At the end of the year these will look good on the record.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:52 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute

I can appreciate this Chris and I hear what you are saying. But you were saying the same thing with that team 3 years ago. I remember going to Rhode Island and Fordham on the road and not playing well and you said basically the same thing... road matches are tough...it's tough to get wins in the A-10, etc. We then lost to Wright State later that year. Point is, teams like Penn State and Nebraska would not be happy to go 3-0 against unranked opponents if some of the sets are close. I don't like for a really good team like we have this year to feel "okay" about so-so play. It's a bad habit to get into and one that will come back to bite you. Very glad we are 6-0, but nothing wrong with knowing there is a lot of work to be done and I'm confident the team and coaching staff will get after it. The best part about this weekend CAN BE we learned a lot about what needs work and it will help us down the road.

Also, for the record, I will be surprised if Mo State and ORU win 20 matches this year. Nothing in their first two weekends of play indicate that to me and they aren't favored in their conferences. At best both of these teams come out of pre-conference 50-50 with 5 or 6 wins -- at best. Mo St has the likes of Creighton, Wichita State and No Iowa to contend with in their conference. They will finish 3rd at best, and possible 5th so 20 wins will be tough to do this year. ORU will have to win 14-15 matches out of 18 to get 20 wins. I don't see it happening. We'll see.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,099 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
We are not Penn State or Nebraska. We arent even Northern Iowa -- a program with Sweet-16s to their credit. We are Ohio University from 7-8 years ago. And thats a huge difference.

I think both Mizz State and ORU will get wins in conference. What the ultimate number is depends on how many extra they may pick off in their own conference tourney. But I think we're kidding ourselves if we think we can just roll the ball out and do what Penn State or USC or Nebraska does. Their worst-rated recruits are rated higher than our highest rated recruits. Doesnt mean we cant give them a match, but over an entire season, we have to work much harder to win matches.

Considering we've never won two NCAA matches in a season, I think we're forgetting ourselves if we start to over-state our own case considering just how much distance we still have to cover.

I think I even heard someone mention a Final-4 a week or two ago. I'd just be happy to reach the second weekend for the first time in program history. I just refuse to count any chickens (matches) for granted. I dont believe we've earned that license quiet yet. If you are PSU or Nebraska, thats another story. Im not looking for the giant leap for mankind, I just want progressive small steps for man. I think we're getting that.

For the first road trip of the season with some new kids playing new roles, I'll take 9-0 all day and twice on Sundays. Mizz St and ORU might not be Illinois, but they arent Temple and LaSalle either. We'll know more about ourselves in another week. But we've already recorded the two highest-ranked wins in program history, along with the highest-ranking. So for now Im ecstatic.

In sports, strange things happen. You roll the ball out and kids play. Witness last night's neurotic 4-2 home loss by the UD Womens Soccer team (a program that has been to the Sweet 16). I used to get in a twist at every ugly win, but now I find them far more palatable. Sure beats the alternative. I have too many other things in life that can raise my blood pressure as it is.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lynton (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 12:22 AM

We are not Penn State or Nebraska. We arent even Northern Iowa -- a program with Sweet-16s to their credit. We are Ohio University from 7-8 years ago. And thats a huge difference.
I didn't say we WERE either of these programs. I used them as EXAMPLES -- but you can insert any Top 10-15 program that goes up against unranked opponents. They expect to dominate in all areas of the match. If we want to get to the Elite 8 (team's goal) then we have to start THINKING like a Top 10 program before we can play consistantly like a Top 10 program. I was very happy to see we hit over .300 as a team against ORU. We had not hit well in the last 4 matches prior to this one. It was something that was beginning to concern me. And we got out-blocked by ORU. I think everyone who has seen the team agrees there's work to be done with the block. I believe we have the talent, it's discipline and technique that need some work before our block is consistantly solid. But I also believe we have the work ethic to make it happen, just a matter of how quickly we can become consistantly dominate in this area of the game.

I think both Mizz State and ORU will get wins in conference. What the ultimate number is depends on how many extra they may pick off in their own conference tourney.
I overlooked the conference tournaments, so this is a good point. Time will tell here, but you are correct, both these teams could come close to 20 wins if they pick up 1-2 wins during conference tournaments.

But I think we're kidding ourselves if we think we can just roll the ball out and do what Penn State or USC or Nebraska does. Their worst-rated recruits are rated higher than our highest rated recruits. Doesnt mean we cant give them a match, but over an entire season, we have to work much harder to win matches. Considering we've never won two NCAA matches in a season, I think we're forgetting ourselves if we start to over-state our own case considering just how much distance we still have to cover.
I've stated in another post I think we are a little overrated at #11 at this point in the season, (and so did Sheff by his vote last week). I agree we aren't consistantly at the point of any of these teams, but that wasn't my point. Furthermore, there is a big drop off between teams in the Top 10-15 and the rest of the field. This team is trying to get to that next level - the elite program level. So my point was we have to start thinking and playing like an elite program, espeically against unranked teams, if we want to take that next step. We are all happy with a 6-0 start, but there is work to do in a lot of areas. I also think we have to not overstate the level of competion we played this weekend. Look at Figgie123's RPI after our weekend -- UD @ #39 (at midnight on Sat). That puts into perspective Austin Peay, Mo State, ORU very quickly, even with only 2 weeks of data in the formula.

I just refuse to count any chickens (matches) for granted. I dont believe we've earned that license quiet yet. If you are PSU or Nebraska, thats another story.
Nobody is saying this, not even PSU or NE. I think you missed my point entirely if you think this is what I was saying. I watch a lot of college volleyball, not just UD. And based on the past 6-7 years, the teams that make it to the 2nd weekend consistantly perform statistically at a higher level than UD has performed during the Ohio thru Mo St matches. We have some work to do, but I also believe we have the talent, coaching staff, motivation and system to get it done.

Ironically, after the Illinois match I wondered, "Where does this team go from here?" "How good is this team?" Their stats coming out of that match were all in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd levels of the leaders in each stat area from the year before. (Granted one match does not equal a season.) But, except for blocking, that match was the highest level of performance I have ever seen from a UD team across all areas of the game. (The best blocking match was that Xavier match a couple years ago -- setting the blocking bar really high.) What that match showed me was how good this team CAN BE THIS YEAR, if they can work to consistantly play at that level, and even a little higher. That potential is exciting. I'm looking forward to the next match we can perform at that level in all areas of the game, and then if we can string together a couple of those matches, etc. I'm hoping we get there sooner rather than later. But the important thing is to have this team consistantly playing at that high level at the end of the season. If we do that, we'll be ready to make a run in the NCAAs. There's work to be done to get there.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:11 AM
General of the Air Force

We may not be penn state or nebraska right now but that is what Kelly aspires to be, and he doesn't mean five years in the future. He isn't satisfied to win the A10. He wants to be in the final four and beyond. To do that you need to do everything at a high high level. If the team is trying to figure out how well they need to play it will obviously bite you later.

I was happy with the sweep and coming from behind only because the team rallied to win the first set away from home. It is good for them to know they can do that. But, if they put themselves in that position very often it will create a problem.

I didn't see the match so it is possible that Oral Roberts played out of their minds in almost winning the first set. It does happen
Old 09-02-2012, 08:23 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Game Career Highs
Code:

SB | aces             |    2
 JK | digs             |   21
 AT | digs             |   10
Service by Player
Alaina Turner - 3/11 - .273
Allyson Morey - 3/4 - .750
Janna Krafka - 3/9 - .333
Megan Campbell - 8/15 - .533
Paige Vargas - 1/3 - .333
Rachel Krabacher - 6/12 - .500
Samantha Selsky - 9/16 - .563
Shayne Brown - 4/8 -.500
Team Totals - 37/78 - .474

Career Milestones
Rachel Krabacher moves from 16th to 15th on the All-times Kill chart with 1,086.
Rachel Krabacher gets into the All-time Digs chart at 17th with 843.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (09-02-2012), UD Sam (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 08:37 AM
General of the Air Force

Kelly said that he thought the team played pretty good. Sometimes a team just plays really well on offense and that is apparently what oral roberts did in this match, especially in set 1.