UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-31-2020, 05:18 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 3,160 Times in 803 Posts
John C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond repute
HBO--Scheme

For those of you with access to HBO you will likely find this very interesting as it debuts tonight at 9PM EDT (I believe).

Scheme--On September 26, 2017, an extensive two-year undercover FBI investigation into a basketball corruption scandal led to the arrest of executives at Adidas and assistant coaches at major college programs.

At the center of it all was Christian Dawkins, an unassuming and unknown 25-year-old who was allegedly part of a criminal enterprise that infiltrated college basketball teams and funneled hundreds of thousands of dollars to steer recruits to prominent athletic programs. For the first time ever, Dawkins explains how a kid from Saginaw, Michigan wound up in a hotel suite surrounded by FBI agents with a warrant for his arrest.

HBO Sports presents The Scheme, a Bat Bridge Entertainment production in association with MASTRY. Pat Kondelis directs; executive producers Michael H. Rockafellow, Stephen L. Germer, Jody M. Wingrove, Rudy Cline-Thomas and Pat Kondelis. Executive producers for HBO, Peter Nelson and Rick Bernstein; supervising producer for Bat Bridge, Lauren Barker; supervising producers for HBO, Bentley Weiner and Jonathan Crystal. Produced by Lynsey Tamsen Jones. Edited by Sean McQueeney. Original Music by Danny Bensi and Saunder Jurriaans.

Last edited by John C.; 03-31-2020 at 05:24 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to John C. For This Totally Excellent Post:
Ready Action (04-01-2020), Runnin' Rebel (03-31-2020)
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2020, 08:16 AM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
https://www.hbo.com/documentaries/the-scheme
Old 04-01-2020, 08:49 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,593 Times in 3,714 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Would love to see this, but no HBO

Thought I would share this. We discovered this last night, for those of you with Spectrum they are giving everyone FREE Showtime and one other movie channel that I currently forget the name of through the end of April.

EDIT- EPIX is the other free channel

Last edited by ClaytonFlyerFan; 04-01-2020 at 09:56 AM..
Old 04-01-2020, 09:13 AM
General

Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,412 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting to listen to the wire tapped phone calls. Not a good look.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:21 AM
2nd Lieutenant

Long Island FLYER is on a distinguished road
Watched it last night. Excellent documentary. Dawkins comes off as an intelligent, well-spoken, but unrepentant investor in basketball recruits in the hopes of representing them when they turn professional. I don't agree with his argument that the kids should be payed, but I do agree that giving kids or their families money is an NCAA violation, but it isn't a crime. He never bribed coaches, despite the FBI trying to push him to do so.

Regardless of how Dawkins comes off, Will Wade and Sean Miller come off as lying scum. How any university could still employ them after these tapes are public is beyond me. FYI - Show was a huge black-eye for Louisville as well.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:37 AM
General

Thanked 4,344 Times in 2,135 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
Would love to see this, but no HBO

Thought I would share this. We discovered this last night, for those of you with Spectrum they are giving everyone FREE Showtime and one other movie channel that I currently forget the name of through the end of April.

Flix? Seems like that is one of the channels they pimp, not sure if they own it or not. We had it on trial for a bit, but scan past it and it seems like there are usually good movies on.

Starz would be the other possibility, similar story...we got it years ago to watch the Pillars of the Earth mini-series, one of my favorite books, but haven't watched it in years. Usually a decent amount of good movies on.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:52 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,593 Times in 3,714 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
Flix? Seems like that is one of the channels they pimp, not sure if they own it or not. We had it on trial for a bit, but scan past it and it seems like there are usually good movies on.

Starz would be the other possibility, similar story...we got it years ago to watch the Pillars of the Earth mini-series, one of my favorite books, but haven't watched it in years. Usually a decent amount of good movies on.
Epix, or at least that is the name that just popped into my head. think I am right. Rarely watch movies, probably because I am lucky if I do not fall asleep halfway through.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:53 AM
General

Thanked 4,344 Times in 2,135 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Epix, that is what I meant, thanks Clayton. W/o looking I'd venture that you are 100% right, every once in a while that make Epix free to spectrum users, so that is likely the other channel.
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (04-01-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 09:58 AM
Major

flyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant future
I really enjoyed it. Exposes the "seedy underside" of college basketball. It's a pretty sympathetic take for Dawkins, who is a really complicated character. My take-away--and please don't make this political--is how questionable the FBI's efforts were. That's clearly the intent of the documentary, to show Dawkins was in the middle of lots of shady characters with less-than-honest motives, and it appears used a dude running a Ponzi scheme in an effort to take-down college basketball coaches. It was all super tenuous and poorly done, and when Dawkins refused to roll over, the investigation (despite some press conference bluster) fell in on itself.

I thought it also did a really good job of providing another take on the pay-for-play situation. We've heard the primary argument--everybody's making money, the players should too--but Dawkins provides a different angle to it.

Highly recommended for basketball fans that are aware that the sport is a mess (and that Dayton is involved).
Old 04-01-2020, 10:16 AM

Thanked 6,179 Times in 4,207 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Is Dawkins in jail now?

Does anybody have any thoughts on solutions to all these problems after having watched the show?
Old 04-01-2020, 10:31 AM
Major

flyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Does anybody have any thoughts on solutions to all these problems after having watched the show?
Let the players accept endorsement money.

In an effort to preempt this becoming a "fix the NCAA" thread, could we stay on the subject of Christian Dawkins and the documentary? There are lots of threads for discussing the problems of the NCAA.

Last edited by flyer016; 04-01-2020 at 11:42 AM..
Old 04-01-2020, 11:28 AM

Thanked 6,179 Times in 4,207 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyer016 View Post
Let the players accept endorsement money.

In an effort to preempt this becoming a "fix the NCAA" thread, could we stay on the subject of Christian Hawkins and the documentary? There are lots of threads for discussing the problems of the NCAA.
Dawkins was sentenced to 1.5 years in jail. The charges are being appealed. I wonder how many other programs were not caught cheating?

Person was an Auburn assistant, not the hc. Bruce Pearl is the Auburn hc.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/04/disgra...-ncaa-scandal/:

The federal investigation found coaches at some of the country’s top college basketball programs accepted bribes to steer their players toward Adidas-sponsored universities, authorities said.

Former NBA star Chuck Person, the head coach at Auburn University, was busted along with coaches at the University of Arizona and the University of Southern California, as well as two top reps for Adidas.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:47 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,695 Times in 2,512 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Is Dawkins in jail now?

He’s out. Believe he served around 12 months. Only pure solution would be to allow payments to recruits, which I believe would absolutely ruin the sport. Otherwise you’re stuck trying to police it and there a lot of shady characters involved. Just listen to Wade bragging about offering thousands to recruits.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:55 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TA111 View Post
He’s out. Believe he served around 12 months. Only pure solution would be to allow payments to recruits, which I believe would absolutely ruin the sport. Otherwise you’re stuck trying to police it and there a lot of shady characters involved. Just listen to Wade bragging about offering thousands to recruits.
They need to quit allowing apparel manufacturers to sponsor teams or coaches.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
JimBo (04-02-2020), Sea Bass (04-02-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 10:39 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Columbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Will Wade is grosser than some politicians, which is saying a lot. I'd rather close our program than win titles w a coach like him. And enduring thanks to Gerry Faust for refusing to help Bob Huggins in the late 80's before we disastrously hired Jim O'Brien, ironically. A game of inches but we always had our integrity.

Last edited by Columbia Blue; 04-03-2020 at 09:37 AM..
Old 04-01-2020, 11:34 PM
General

Thanked 3,923 Times in 2,155 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
time to drop the hammer on Cleveland State
Old 04-02-2020, 08:30 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,644 Times in 703 Posts
Monster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Columbia Blue View Post
Will Wade is Trump-gross. I'd rather close our program than win titles w a coach like him. And enduring thanks to Gerry Faust for refusing to help Bob Huggins in the late 80's before we disastrously hired Jim O'Brien, ironically. A game of inches but we always had our integrity.
Please keep your stupid political references off of the basketball thread.
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Monster Man For This Totally Excellent Post:
CJ2etc (04-02-2020), ClaytonFlyerFan (04-02-2020), jack72 (04-02-2020), JimBo (04-02-2020), MikeFlyer (04-02-2020), shwag33 (04-02-2020), SoTier Flyer (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 08:54 AM
Major

Originally Posted by Columbia Blue View Post
Will Wade is Trump-gross. I'd rather close our program than win titles w a coach like him. And enduring thanks to Gerry Faust for refusing to help Bob Huggins in the late 80's before we disastrously hired Jim O'Brien, ironically. A game of inches but we always had our integrity.
I agree. Will Wade and Sean Miller holding press conferences to lie to the public, while everybody was well aware of their lying felt surreal. Sometimes, I think we've entered a new phase of society where there is no such thing as shame and accepting responsibility. You see it in politicians as well, just a willingness to say and do whatever is necessary to further their agenda.

LSU's AD came out yesterday and said Wade would remain the head coach. On one hand, I suppose nothing new was learned with the broadcast, but, on the other hand, it is exceptionally clear that Wade was paying players. LSU and Wade know you know he paid players. They know you know they're lying. They just don't care. They're winning, and nobody gives a **** whether it's built on dishonesty and corruption.

There's an element in play with the NCAA being a corrupt and wholly reprehensible organization. So, disregarding the NCAA isn't entirely blameworthy.

Last edited by flyer016; 04-02-2020 at 09:42 AM..
Mad Props to flyer016 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Columbia Blue (04-03-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 09:46 AM
General

Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,412 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Long Island FLYER View Post

Regardless of how Dawkins comes off, Will Wade and Sean Miller come off as lying scum. How any university could still employ them after these tapes are public is beyond me. FYI - Show was a huge black-eye for Louisville as well.
This, and there’s more like them.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:56 AM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyer016 View Post
LSU and Wade know you know he paid players. They know you know they're lying. They just don't care. They're winning, and nobody gives a **** whether it's built on dishonesty and corruption.
That pretty much sums it up
Old 04-02-2020, 06:05 PM
Major

bigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to behold
Per Vitale:

https://twitter.com/DickieV/status/1245709480844759040
Mad Props to bigudfan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Runnin' Rebel (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 06:31 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,695 Times in 2,512 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bigudfan View Post
Per Vitale:

https://twitter.com/DickieV/status/1245709480844759040
Hope this is accurate, because if they allow this then it’s open season on cheating.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (04-02-2020), Jeff (04-03-2020), John C. (04-02-2020), Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-03-2020)